Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 day insurance - driving a purchased car from the UK to Ireland

Options
  • 19-08-2019 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello, how do people do usually when they buy a car in England, drive it to the port and bring it to Ireland. It would still have UK plates. Do they take the risk and ignore it? Do they buy a 1 day insurance to cover driving from the UK to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Your own insurer should cover you for up to 1 month on UK plates. Just ring them up & change cover over when collecting the car

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I transferred my Irish policy to the uk car. You’re covered for driving in the uk. The insurer took the uk reg, which I then updated with the Irish reg after I’d done the vrt. Had it set up days before buying the car so on the day I could give the yes/no.
    Was able to keep my then current Irish car also insured for an additional €50 a week.
    Details will depend on your current insurer and policy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is no 1 day car insurance in Ireland and no you don't risk it as your in right **** trouble if caught. Most people just transfer their existing policy over to the UK reg car they buy. It will be insured for upto 30 days to allow it to be VRT'd and registered here. If you don't have an existing policy then your choices are limited, maybe look at getting it transported over.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

Thanks. I am named driver on a policy here. Also do companies in Ireland cover when driving in the UK?

Thanks everyone, very helpful :) Will check with the company this week then.
    I remember amending any details on the policy costs 25€ so was thinking it is simply easier to buy an insurance for 1 day or 1 week until everything sorted!

• Advertisement

Named driver on someone else's policy is no good as insurance companies will not permit it. Also if you transferred the policy holder's insurance to a UK reg then their own Irish car would no longer be insured.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Named driver on someone else's policy is no good as insurance companies will not permit it. Also if you transferred the policy holder's insurance to a UK reg then their own Irish car would no longer be insured.

that's logic. But in relation to the named driver it is disappointing. In the past they even said the named driver cannot get any bonus on a new policy in their name, for having no claims, even though they drive the car normally like the main driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

bbbbb wrote: »
    I transferred my Irish policy to the uk car. You’re covered for driving in the uk. The insurer took the uk reg, which I then updated with the Irish reg after I’d done the vrt. Had it set up days before buying the car so on the day I could give the yes/no.
    Was able to keep my then current Irish car also insured for an additional €50 a week.
    Details will depend on your current insurer and policy

the trouble with this is you may need to prove to a UK cop that the car is insured. You need it in writing or there's a chance the cop will seize the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

that's logic. But in relation to the named driver it is disappointing. In the past they even said the named driver cannot get any bonus on a new policy in their name, for having no claims, even though they drive the car normally like the main driver!

In that instance you get named driver experience, it's not a no claims bonus but you still get a discount for full years as a named driver with no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Whocare

What do you mean. If policy holders transfer the insurance a name driver can't pickup the car in England?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Several years ago I was buying a 70's MG in Torquay. I was with Quinn (now Liberty) and they wouldn't transfer my policy onto anything over 20 years old. At the time my wife was with AXA with me as a named driver. They had no problems transferring her policy to the MG or with me travelling on my own to collect the Car.

Whocare wrote: »
    What do you mean. If policy holders transfer the insurance a name driver can't pickup the car in England?
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Several years ago I was buying a 70's MG in Torquay. I was with Quinn (now Liberty) and they wouldn't transfer my policy onto anything over 20 years old. At the time my wife was with AXA with me as a named driver. They had no problems transferring her policy to the MG or with me travelling on my own to collect the Car.

Maybe it depends on the insurance company and spousal situation then but I was added as a named driver on a colleagues policy about 2 years ago. We went to the UK to buy a car and I said I'd share the driving on the trip home, they refused to cover me as a named driver on his policy to drive the car in the UK. They had no problem once the car landed in Ireland but not while in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

lol - just spent ages reading the importing a car from uk thread in motors to answer this question.

has anyone tried getting insurance in the uk? i know they do temporary insurance over there. i noted that some explicitly state will not give it for cars that are to go for export.

Advertisement