Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlords obligation

Options
  • 20-08-2019 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

What is a landlords obligation regarding a tenant keeping rubbish and allowing debris to build up in a garden? what section of the part 4 legislation covers dealing with them? or does it fall under something else?, ie the landlord to force the tenant to tidy the place up, the mess is all the tenant, (I thought they were the owner but it turns out not) at one point they disposed of a couch on the path outside the garden, they fly tip whatever they want to dispose of on the front garden wall, have so may cars frequently block off the path which means people have to walk around vehicles onto road and keep a scrap vehicle in the front garden!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

1874 wrote: »
    What is a landlords obligation regarding a tenant keeping rubbish and allowing debris to build up in a garden? what section of the part 4 legislation covers dealing with them? or does it fall under something else?, ie the landlord to force the tenant to tidy the place up, the mess is all the tenant, (I thought they were the owner but it turns out not) at one point they disposed of a couch on the path outside the garden, they fly tip whatever they want to dispose of on the front garden wall, have so may cars frequently block off the path which means people have to walk around vehicles onto road and keep a scrap vehicle in the front garden!

Report this to the environmental health officer in the council

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

This is a environmental safety issue if they are leaving rubbish fester like this. It could attract nice and rats also. Not sure why you even bring up your anti ll stance as the OP here has a genuine issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Already had the HSE to lay bait,
    unfortunately, they do not deal with the offender, just lay bait and put up signs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Fian wrote: »
    I find one of the handiest things about being a landlord is that I can tell my tenants exactly how to live their life and force them to behave exactly as I want. So if I want them to go to bed at 9 O'Clock they have to do what I say and if I want them not to play music in their home they have to do that too. I am particularly fussy about what tv programmes I let them watch, some of them can get my tenants overexcited. I think the clue is in the name as regards how this works - after all I am their landLORD .

So yeah OP it is absolutely no problem for the landlord to force your neighbours to behave as you would like them to. It is kind of like when a toddler is misbehaving you don't have to try to reason with the toddler, just go directly to the parent. Just like a parent is responsible for the behaviour of a toddler a landlord is responsible for all the behaviour of their adult tenants and you should go directly to them if you don't like the way their tenants are behaving.

/s

Mod Note

Do not post in this tone again.
    The OP has a valid concern and stock piling of rubbish and illegal dumping is a bane to housing estates.
    The behavior should be reported to the relevant Authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have already approached the tenant, would you be happy with a person, who keeps rubbish in their front garden living next to you?

No one would be happy but the landlord can do very little as our law is biased towards the tenants. But they will get a nice big fine because of the anti social tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

kceire wrote: »

The OP has a valid concern and stock piling of rubbish and illegal dumping is a bane to housing estates.

The behavior should be reported to the relevant Authorities.

Who will promptly contact the property owner and instruct him/her to do something about it.

The landlord may then try to evict the tenant ..... and guess what will happen next!!! :mad:

Portsalon wrote: »
    Who will promptly contact the property owner and instruct him/her to do something about it.

The landlord may then try to evict the tenant ..... and guess what will happen next!!! :mad:

Tenant wont give details, why would they
    contacted RTB, they wont supply landlord details allegedly under data protection though they state to contact landlord first, started making 3rd party dispute, queried something in it, told that I HAVE to contact landlord and the legislation says I have to do that before I can make a dispute, they didnt elaborate what legislation, I was directed to ring RTB again, told something similar over phone, basically I told the person I would go to every newspaper, counciller and TD until someone listened, person said, just to go ahead and make a 3rd party dispute. There appears to be some serious shortcomings in the RTB.

What will happen next? I dont think the landlord will try evict the tenant, but if they dont stop their anti social behaviour? what option is there?

Tenant wont give details, why would they
    contacted RTB, they wont supply landlord details allegedly under data protection though they state to contact landlord first, started making 3rd party dispute, queried something in it, told that I HAVE to contact landlord and the legislation says I have to do that before I can make a dispute, they didnt elaborate what legislation, I was directed to ring RTB again, told something similar over phone, basically I told the person I would go to every newspaper, counciller and TD until someone listened, person said, just to go ahead and make a 3rd party dispute. There appears to be some serious shortcomings in the RTB.

What will happen next? I dont think the landlord will try evict the tenant, but if they dont stop their anti social behaviour? what option is there?

None.

Welcome to GDPR! Why not give Bugs Dixon a bell and ask her what she advises.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Has the form you print off the rtb site now ceased??

One could put in a reason the details were needed and your address as my father done so as neighbour house is rented.

According to the RTB its the local authority who deal with your issue.

It also says that you can lodge a complaint if you can't contact the landlord by downloading a form.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/third-party-dispute-resolution-services/

• Advertisement

One could put in a reason the details were needed and your address as my father done so as neighbour house is rented.

Someone else just seems to have provided that, I rang the RTB and they told me nothing about that, I was going online to fill out the complaint.

Portsalon wrote: »
    None.

Welcome to GDPR! Why not give Bugs Dixon a bell and ask her what she advises.
    what?

Del2005 wrote: »
    According to the RTB its the local authority who deal with your issue.

It also says that you can lodge a complaint if you can't contact the landlord by downloading a form.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/third-party-dispute-resolution-services/

There are other issues too, I contacted the local authority and they said its the RTB who deal with these things, not suprising really

what?

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Has anyone made contact with the tenants?

Obviously not easy if they're the type to leave the place the way it is....

Keep sending complaints to rtb, council and any illegal parking to Gardai especially if dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

have so may cars frequently block off the path which means people have to walk around vehicles onto road and keep a scrap vehicle in the front garden!
    Be a good citizen, and check on motortax.ie that all said cars are taxed. If not, please contact the Gardai/Revenue and let them know; said cars may get taken away.

the_syco wrote: »
    Be a good citizen, and check on motortax.ie that all said cars are taxed. If not, please contact the Gardai/Revenue and let them know; said cars may get taken away.

Do you honestly believe that?

Ididnt know it was there, RTB told me twice over the phone they couldnt supply landlord details for data privacy reason, seemed like a cop out, or maybe they dont want to deal with cases? they also told me today in chat that I could not makea complaint if I did not contact or make an attempt to contact the landlord, catch 22.

Has anyone made contact with the tenants?

Obviously not easy if they're the type to leave the place the way it is....

Keep sending complaints to rtb, council and any illegal parking to Gardai especially if dangerous.

I tried to speak to them, ended up getting threatened

Gardai also dont seem interested in dealing with untaxed cars, I dont think this neighbours are untaxed, but there are a few other cars, unfortunately from another rented house who just moved in recebtly and seem to do a low level selling of vehicles business and park the cars very near me, other neighbours have grumbled to me in conversation but dont seem to be willing to do anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that?

It does happen. We got 5 cars removed 2 weeks ago from previous bad tenants up the road from us. They left them behind parked on the side of the road.

kceire wrote: »
    It does happen. We got 5 cars removed 2 weeks ago from previous bad tenants up the road from us. They left them behind parked on the side of the road.

Abandoned cars are a different story to owners parking illegally.

Advertisement