Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food on long spin

Options
  • 20-08-2019 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi

Besides gels, what food do you find best or most effective on long spins? Have a decent spin coming up soon so just wondering what options others choose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi

Besides gels, what food do you find best or most effective on long spins? Have a decent spin coming up soon so just wondering what options others choose.

Long spin means different thing to different people but in general I'd say eat pretty much exactly as you would off the bike and top up any extra energy needs with an odd banana or energy bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How long is long, timewise?
    Is route going via a spot where you could stop for tea/coffee?

On my 6hr spins I used to eat porridge/banana etc before going, wouldn't eat in hour 1 or 2 and then have 1 all natural energy bar per hour after that and have 2 gels for use if I felt they were necessary but that varied from day to day.

If I stopped, I'd have a tea and a brownie or small piece of cake but wouldn't have had a regular lunch type meal.

It's unique to each rider really. Would suggest isotonics in at least 1 water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi

I don't use gels. Never had any issue with them (I used to use them when I did tri's) but I'd just rather eat something real. I'd quite often start off with sandwiches, and then move on to granola bars or and bananas. I may or may not have a breakfast, but I aim to have something every hour (on top of the bottles below)

My one concession to the marketing is I do use carb/ electrolyte drink mix - handy when you might not get to stop. I quite liked the SIS Go Electrolyte Blackcurrent. Currently using Isostar Hydrate and Perform I got in a pack for returning my number in Liege. But I have a pack of Fructose, a pack of maltodextrine ready to go to mix my own when that runs out (if I don't see a bargain come up). I already use powered electrolytes which I just mix with cordial!

It's taken me years to cop it, but I find fueling the spins mean I'm less liable to binge afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i usually get out for a max of two and a half to three hours these days, so have some grub about half an hour before my spin, and then a banana at 1 hour in and another an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Uch. Gels. I went through a phase of them for a few years now unless I was racing or really at the end of my tether on a long hard spin, I couldn't stomach their slimy sugariness. Gave up that high 5 sugary bottle stuff as well.
    Eat what you like to eat. I do tend to bring like a cliff bar or something with me as a "in case of emergency break glass" snack but it frequently remains uneaten and goes back in the helmet on the shelf when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As mentioned in the MTB thread.

Learn how to make Anzac cookies or nobake oatmeal bars. Them and some bananas get me through the longer spins. If it's a very long one, I'll stop for a proper, if light lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Though I’ve never raced I tried a gel once on a long spin, never again. Too sweet.

Sambos, choc biscuits, water. If I eat early enough and often enough I’ll have decent energy at the end of a long spin. Longest spins wouldn’t be more than 150km mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Long? For an audax 200, I'd stop every 50k, with the other lads, and we'd usually have coffee, a banana and a scone or similar. A sandwich at 100k, and maybe another coffee/sweetie at 150.

For a typical 100k spin, might hit coffee and a scone around half-way. Nobody said 'healthy', right!?

Always have a snickers in the saddle bag - if I don't bonk, someone else may do. They last for ever, never go off, very tolerant of hot/cold, and a BIT less disgusting than gels.

Used to put sugar etc in the water bottles, but don't any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

fat bloke wrote: »
    Uch. Gels. I went through a phase of them for a few years now unless I was racing or really at the end of my tether on a long hard spin, I couldn't stomach their slimy sugariness. Gave up that high 5 sugary bottle stuff as well.
    Eat what you like to eat. I do tend to bring like a cliff bar or something with me as a "in case of emergency break glass" snack but it frequently remains uneaten and goes back in the helmet on the shelf when I get home.

Agree... only 2 reasons to use gels.

1. Your in a race and can't stop and eat real food.
    2. Your doing a timed sportive event and you've stopped at the first few feed zones and eaten real food. Now it's 2pm, its 35 degrees, your both mentally and physically exhausted and the thought of eating anything makes you want to puke! Now is the time to get that last gel down your throat and wash it down with some water and just keep going and get to the finish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

brownian wrote: »
    Used to put sugar etc in the water bottles, but don't any more.

I used to buy a bag of glucose and add a tablespoon to a 500ml bottle of water. Not sure if it did any good though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Stop for a meal somewhere, if a long spin of 8 + hours, otherwise, a coffee

Looks like I eat loads as it turns out. However, I'd still say my overall consumption is down on days of long spins compared to when I ate less on the bike!

keep a packet of jelly babies in my pocket, much nicer than gels:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

keep a packet of jelly babies in my pocket, much nicer than gels:)

True.
    I bonked just 8km from home one day and thought I had nothing but found a packet of buttons I had forgotten I had bought. It felt like within 1Km after taking them that I was feeling their benefits.

Getting the right combination of liquids is important. I wouldn't go for all isotonic but rather 50/50 with straight water works well for me.
    Really like the SIS Lime powder mix. Expensive though so keep an eye out for deals. Same with the energy bars, bye in bulk to keep cost down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I go for every 45 mins - bar, banana, bar, gel etc. Anything above 3.5 or 4 hours I try to have some real food like a sandwich or slice of cake from time to time. Have actually set my Garmin to give a little beep every 45 mins to remind me to eat.

Usually 750ml water and 750ml lemon isotonic mix too but depends on route (petrol stations to stop) and climbing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hard to beat a cold can of full fat Coke and a pack of fruit pastilles if energy is dipping. Otherwise stop and eat real food.

I don't do gels as they upset my stomach nor do I add anything to water bottles.

Jelly babies are awesome.

So is a fry up

So are full Sunday dinners

Forget what I said before, on a proper long spin you will eat anything and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I use a sports drink from Named as whatever stuff in it has more or less cured my cramping issues or at least that's what I think.

As for food, jelly babies, banana and a bar with 2 get me home gels of 3hrs plus with intervals. You can't beat Tesco Jelly Babies for 50c, feck that brand stuff. The good old coke/coffee stop with a bun/bar of choice is a pretty good option if flagging after halfway round.

Like any part of life just eat enough but don't over indulge, you shouldn't need to gorge at home if you have eaten enough on the spin.

Same with the energy bars, bye in bulk to keep cost down.
    GCN Energy Bars (as per the recipe but I swap the oil for butter or coconut oil) are really nice. Only thing I've found as nice are Clif Bars, but I really don't like the price.
    dahat wrote:
    Like any part of life just eat enough but don't over indulge, you shouldn't need to gorge at home if you have eaten enough on the spin.
    I know it'd be more about training and racing than just a spin, but the TrainerRoad podcast has covered this a few times with outside experts/ pro's as well as their in house qualified coaches - they reckon before and during you should be eating what you expect to output. I kinda go half way on that, as I do like the spin to set up my weekly beer and crisps night!

dahat wrote: »
    I use a sports drink from Named as whatever stuff in it has more or less cured my cramping issues or at least that's what I think.

As for food, jelly babies, banana and a bar with 2 get me home gels of 3hrs plus with intervals. You can't beat Tesco Jelly Babies for 50c, feck that brand stuff. The good old coke/coffee stop with a bun/bar of choice is a pretty good option if flagging after halfway round.

As someone who spent 5 long years working in a factory making jelly babies, I have to say the Aldi ones are superior

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'll always have a cereal bar in my pocket. How many I bring depends on the ride but at least 1 an hour for anything over 2 hours. Under two hours I generally wouldnt bring anything.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    GCN Energy Bars (as per the recipe but I swap the oil for butter or coconut oil) are really nice. Only thing I've found as nice are Clif Bars, but I really don't like the price.

I know it'd be more about training and racing than just a spin, but the TrainerRoad podcast has covered this a few times with outside experts/ pro's as well as their in house qualified coaches - they reckon before and during you should be eating what you expect to output. I kinda go half way on that, as I do like the spin to set up my weekly beer and crisps night!

I've been experimenting with bars myself vua Food flicker on Insta, can get 10-12 bars for less than 2 Cliff bars. The recipe does need adjusting though as it's more protein based so more fruit less nuts I'd say.

As someone who spent 5 long years working in a factory making jelly babies, I have to say the Aldi ones are superior

The only downfall with Aldi ones is they have way more powdered sugar on them which is messy on the hands in a race, that's the only reason I don't use them.

dahat wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with bars myself vua Food flicker on Insta, can get 10-12 bars for less than 2 Cliff bars. The recipe does need adjusting though as it's more protein based so more fruit less nuts I'd say.
    Must look that up.

I've made rice cakes a few times as well (Lim recipe, sky recipe if people want to google etc.) - they work well, but too much faff to make. I just keep coming back to the GCN ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, don't buy sugar free jelly babies by accident, i believe necking too many causes laxative effects.

also, don't buy sugar free jelly babies by accident, i believe necking too many causes laxative effects.

The Diabetic chocolate certainly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wouldn't sugar free ones defeat the purpose of providing an energy boost anyway? A bit like when people drink diet Coke during a cycle. Or am I missing something?

that was what i meant by 'by accident', as they'd be of little use.

Wouldn't sugar free ones defeat the purpose of providing an energy boost anyway? A bit like when people drink diet Coke during a cycle. Or am I missing something?

Diet coke tastes better, is refreshing and has caffeine, I'd sooner collapse in a hedgegrow than drink regular coke. Just an opinion

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Must look that up.

I've made rice cakes a few times as well (Lim recipe, sky recipe if people want to google etc.) - they work well, but too much faff to make. I just keep coming back to the GCN ones.

These are no bake, just set in the fridge. Made a tray in 8 mins this morning with dark chocolate melted on top. The rough calories for mine are 170-200 per bar depending on size.
    Rice bars are nice once someone else makes them as you know, far too much bother.

Advertisement