Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling platinum card

Options
  • 20-08-2019 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a BOI platinum MasterCard.

If I cancel the card will a portion of the annual service charge be refunded (ie the months until the renewal date?)

If not, is it possible to set the card to expire just prior to the renewal date?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today.

The Government stamp duty of €30 is payable for the whole year when you have a Credit Card account. You can certainly close the account within the year but we wouldn't be able to refund the Government charge.

You would need to close the Credit Card account in order to avoid the Government charge. We can't close your account in advance so it would be best to get in touch with our customer service near the renewal date to cancel the card and close the account.

I hope this information helps and please let us know if you have any further queries.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today.

The Government stamp duty of €30 is payable for the whole year when you have a Credit Card account. You can certainly close the account within the year but we wouldn't be able to refund the Government charge.

You would need to close the Credit Card account in order to avoid the Government charge. We can't close your account in advance so it would be best to get in touch with our customer service near the renewal date to cancel the card and close the account.

I hope this information helps and please let us know if you have any further queries.

Many thanks,
    Kat

Thanks very much for the response.

It is actually the BoI annual account fee that I am wondering about. I paid this on converting from a standard mastercard to a platinum card and it was €76.18.

Can this fee be partially refunded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi again,

Thanks so much for coming back to us here.

Apologies, I thought you meant the annual Government stamp duty.

You are absolutely able to reclaim some of the annual charge on a Credit Card if you close the account within the year. The Credit Card team will reimburse you for any remaining months within your billing year. They'll do this at the time of closure but the refund can take a few days to process.

Many thanks,
    Kat

Advertisement