Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Rockwool with rigid board insulation in attic?

• 20-08-2019 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭

We're going to convert our attic into a room and I was wondering if it made sense to replace the Rockwool (house is a new build, 2016, so it has 300mm of it on the floor) with another insulation such as rigid board? My thinking is that Rockwool isn't as good an insulation and that it degrades over time (not sure if that's still the case) so we may as well investigate replacing it now before we put a floor over it. Any opinions/recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How deep are the joists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If you convert the attic then you want good insulation in the roof between the tiles/slates and the plasterboard of the attic room to keep the heat in. Rigid insulation is good for this. If this converted space is well insulated then the insulation you want between the downstairs and the new attic room is acoustic insulation rather than insulation that helps with heat. Therefore Rockwool would be better.

Other factors I'm not dealing with are strength of joists, fire escape, access, room height, planning permission, etc and other building regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Lumen wrote: »
    How deep are the joists?
    I'm not sure but they are buried below the insulation so I'd say 100mm. I was wondering if another advantage to replacing Rockwool would be that the new attic floor could be closer to the joists, or is that fixed by the RSJ and the attachments for the new floor joists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Dudda wrote: »
    If you convert the attic then you want good insulation in the roof between the tiles/slates and the plasterboard of the attic room to keep the heat in. Rigid insulation is good for this. If this converted space is well insulated then the insulation you want between the downstairs and the new attic room is acoustic insulation rather than insulation that helps with heat. Therefore Rockwool would be better.

Other factors I'm not dealing with are strength of joists, fire escape, access, room height, planning permission, etc and other building regulations.
    Yes I'm sure we'll be getting rigid board insulation in the rafters. I figured good insulation in the attic floor would still help reduce/slow overall house heat loss though.

Advertisement