Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving full time for fixed year contract

Options
  • 20-08-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

As per title.
    Do you continue on say pay and scale? is your pension affected?

Any pointers before leaving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

What is the lenght of fixed term? If Aug - Aug I don't think pay will be affected but if fixed term say to cover a mat leave as far as I know it may affect pay as holiday pay works slightly differently.
    're pension if on old scheme do not let yourself time out of the scheme if fixed term isn't renewed / subbing work doesn't materialise

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

What is the lenght of fixed term? If Aug - Aug I don't think pay will be affected but if fixed term say to cover a mat leave as far as I know it may affect pay as holiday pay works slightly differently.
    're pension if on old scheme do not let yourself time out of the scheme if fixed term isn't renewed / subbing work doesn't materialise

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

I've done this recently. Pay not affected at all for the duration of the contract and if you teach the whole year you will get paid next summer.

One word of warning-I presumed that when my first fixed term ended I would find it relatively easy to find another fixed term for the second year and work up my panel rights to get another permanent job. I thought this because most people applying for fixed term positions are relatively inexperienced relative to myself. Although I got sorted in the end, there seems to be no logic whatsoever as to who gets interviews/jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

patsman07 wrote: »
    I've done this recently. Pay not affected at all for the duration of the contract and if you teach the whole year you will get paid next summer.

One word of warning-I presumed that when my first fixed term ended I would find it relatively easy to find another fixed term for the second year and work up my panel rights to get another permanent job. I thought this because most people applying for fixed term positions are relatively inexperienced relative to myself. Although I got sorted in the end, there seems to be no logic whatsoever as to who gets interviews/jobs.

There is definitely a a logic ;) we all know that

Advertisement