Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northwood - Right of Way

Options
  • 20-08-2019 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with this.

I am looking at buying an apartment in Northwood and have been advised that I wouldn't have the right of way through the internal common areas.

I know this isn't likely to be an issue accessing the apartment but am wondering what it means in reality.

Is it likely to cause problems further down the line?

Would this be a reason not to go ahead with the purchase?

I'd appreciate any advise, first time buyer so not sure of all these things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thats a question for your solicitor... Without knowing more I couldn't comment. In theory, due to the design of the apartments it would be assumed that all owners would hold a right of way to their home. The fact that it has been highlighted that you do not have right of way would suggest something very bogey to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Hi Haribo86,

Which particular development within Northwood is this for? I've never heard anything of the type for my place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Haribo86

Hi bikeman 1

Thanks for your reply. Do you own an apt in Northwood? It’s Temple Gardens? I just don’t know if it’s all of Northwood etc?

Yes, my apartment is in Temple Court. I have never heard anything like that in the time I have been here. Can you maybe elaborate on what common areas they are talking about?

Is it inside the apartment block itself or is it the lands around the complex?

Great area to live btw!

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Yes, my apartment is in Temple Court. I have never heard anything like that in the time I have been here. Can you maybe elaborate on what common areas they are talking about?

Is it inside the apartment block itself or is it the lands around the complex?

Great area to live btw!

Sorry, I see you mention the INTERNAL areas. You will need to get advice from your solicitor as mentioned above.

All of the blocks Temple Court, Temple Gardens and Parklands, while all look similar have different Owner Management Companies (OMC's). Each OMC might have different rules. I know that we don't own the parking space, but have the right to one if we own a unit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Haribo86

They specified a defect in the title of deeds, You have no right by deed to go through the internal common areas of the block in which your property is situate. I’m confused by it and wondered if it may cause problems in the future. Maybe it’s jsut that block? It couldn’t be jsut that apt could it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It was a sneaky mechanism used by some management companies to restrict access including but not limited to conduit access to common areas. In practice the intention was if a person was late/overdue with their management charges- the management company could legally cut any services which were supplied through the common area (to include but not limited to water, sewage, electricity etc).

Talk to your solicitor.

Advertisement