If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another 43 Inch TV Query

Options
  • 20-08-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently looking at upgrading an oldish philips 40 inch HD ambilight(don't use this feature) tv for a 43 inch 4k smart tv.

Looking at the options on your site i'd love the top sony model with 100Htz screen for sports but out of budget.

The samsung QLED i'd rule out over shocking reviews of light bleed.

I don't think the sony 8196 is worth the big difference in the price compared to the Phillips,Samsung,and LG models below it(but love to hear your opinion).

So, that leaves the samsung 7410,7400(is there any differance other than price and colour), the phillips 7394 and the LG 7500.

I THINK i'm looking at going for the phillips as it seems to have to the best panel HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. I'd be a little concerned about the smart features but think panel should take priority.

Love to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi,

I'm currently looking at upgrading an oldish philips 40 inch HD ambilight(don't use this feature) tv for a 43 inch 4k smart tv.

Looking at the options on your site i'd love the top sony model with 100Htz screen for sports but out of budget.

I don't think the sony 8196 is worth the big difference in the price compared to the Phillips,Samsung,and LG models below it(but love to hear your opinion).

So, that leaves the samsung 7410,7400(is there any differance other than price and colour), the phillips 7394 and the LG 7500.

I THINK i'm looking at going for the phillips as it seems to have to the best panel HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. I'd be a little concerned about the smart features but think panel should take priority.

Thanks!
    Hi itsnotmyfault,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

I think the Philips would be the best bet from that list. The Sony would have a better smart hub but unless you're going for the 100Hz panel I think the Philips would be the best for picture quality as it has the HDR10+, Dolby Vision and a direct lit backlight.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Hi,

Thanks!
    Hi itsnotmyfault,

I think the Philips would be the best bet from that list. The Sony would have a better smart hub but unless you're going for the 100Hz panel I think the Philips would be the best for picture quality as it has the HDR10+, Dolby Vision and a direct lit backlight.

Kind regards

David
    Thanks for that David. I'll mull it over for a bit more but what would the best price you could do on the Philips including delivery. I'd be paying in sterling.

Cheers!

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi,

Thanks!
    Hi itsnotmyfault,

Kind regards

David
    Thanks for that David. I'll mull it over for a bit more but what would the best price you could do on the Philips including delivery. I'd be paying in sterling.

Cheers!
    Hi itsnotmyfault,

The best price I have on the Philips at the moment is the web price of £549 or 649 euro.

Kind regards

David

I might go ahead with this this afternoon. Do ye deliver to Dublin on Saturday?

Thanks!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks!
    Hi itsnotmyfault.

Unfortunately we do not offer weekend deliveries as our courier is closed at the weekends.

Deliveries would be Monday - Friday.
    However Monday 26th is a bank holiday here in Northern Ireland and our next shipment for television would be Tuesday 27th and this would make delivery to Dublin the 28th Aug.

• Advertisement

Thanks!
    Hi itsnotmyfault.

Unfortunately we do not offer weekend deliveries as our courier is closed at the weekends.

However Monday 26th is a bank holiday here in Northern Ireland and our next shipment for television would be Tuesday 27th and this would make delivery to Dublin the 28th Aug.
    PM sent

Thanks!
    Hi itsnotmyfault.

PM sent
    Hey Itsnotmyfault.

Sorry for the delay.

I had been off yesterday. I'll give you a call ASAP to sort out the order.

Hi,

I purchased the philips 43inch 7394 off yourselves nearly a couple of weeks ago(great service as usual) and I know this wouldn't really be your remit but i've not been happy with the picture quality. The factory settings are poor for some reason and trying to find alternative settings online is really difficult. The closest I got was a forum on AV forums in relation to the 55 inch 7303 with a few people chipping in with settings but as most of these panels would be VA as apposed to my IPS and the 7303 would be last years model they wouldn't be ideal. I did try a couple of those options and it did improve the picture a lot but they were too dark(not just a case of increasing brightness or contrast) and I can't get it right. I'm sure there's a great picture to be had and just wondering if you might be able to help.

Apologies for the rant!

Hi,

I purchased the philips 43inch 7394 off yourselves nearly a couple of weeks ago(great service as usual) and I know this wouldn't really be your remit but i've not been happy with the picture quality. The factory settings are poor for some reason and trying to find alternative settings online is really difficult. The closest I got was a forum on AV forums in relation to the 55 inch 7303 with a few people chipping in with settings but as most of these panels would be VA as apposed to my IPS and the 7303 would be last years model they wouldn't be ideal. I did try a couple of those options and it did improve the picture a lot but they were too dark(not just a case of increasing brightness or contrast) and I can't get it right. I'm sure there's a great picture to be had and just wondering if you might be able to help.

Apologies for the rant!
    Hey ItsNotMyFault.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the quality of the 7394 you purchased.

You are still within our 14 day returns period if you wish to return the TV to us.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/t-returns.aspx

Regarding settings. there really isn't any guides I can find for setting this TV up.
    Usually it would involve going over the settings yourself and seeing which suits you. Everyone is different and can like there television set up differently.

I've done some further checking online just now and didn't come up with any guides for the 7394.

You could also perhaps drop Philips a call to see if they have any advice they could give as they would know the settings on the TV inside and out.
    You can get them on 02079490319.

I'll see if there is anything else I can find online.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi,

Apologies for the rant!
    Hey ItsNotMyFault.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the quality of the 7394 you purchased.

You are still within our 14 day returns period if you wish to return the TV to us.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/t-returns.aspx

Regarding settings. there really isn't any guides I can find for setting this TV up.
    Usually it would involve going over the settings yourself and seeing which suits you. Everyone is different and can like there television set up differently.

I've done some further checking online just now and didn't come up with any guides for the 7394.

You could also perhaps drop Philips a call to see if they have any advice they could give as they would know the settings on the TV inside and out.
    You can get them on 02079490319.

I'll see if there is anything else I can find online.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks Kenny,

I'd really hope that it won't come to returning the tv as i'm sure it's possible to get a good picture(it HAS to be).

It is a pity that there aren't any guides online as i'm sure these would sort it. Not sure how far i'd get by ringing Philips but i'll give them a shot when i get a chance.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Hey ItsNotMyFault.

If you are thinking of returning the TV please bear in mind returns must be made within 14 days of purchase.

Philips themselves should have recommendations for their sets as they are the manufacturer, hopefully by calling them they can advise on what they would recommend the settings to be.

I've done a bit more hunting and you could try some of the following settings:
    [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Here are the most common settings that exist across TVs — note that some of them have slight variations in naming, and not all TVs have all settings.[/font]

[font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]We are also specifying the values in percent. Most TVs do this, but if your TV has Brightness on a scale of 0-20, a 50% setting would be equivalent to setting it to 10.[/font]
    [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Picture mode:[/font] Cinema or Movie (NOT Sports, Vivid, Dynamic etc)[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Sharpness:[/font] 0% (This is the most crucial one to set to zero — although Sony sometimes uses 50% for the “off” setting, confusingly. If the image becomes blurry at 0%, try 50%)[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Backlight:[/font] Whatever is comfortable, but usually at 100% for daytime use. Adjusting this will not detoriate picture quality.[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Contrast:[/font] 100%[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Brightness:[/font] 50%[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Color:[/font] 50%[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hue:[/font] 0%[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Gamma:[/font] 2.2 (or 0 if the TV doesn’t have it in a range of 1.8-2.9 but uses whole numbers instead)[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Tint (G/R):[/font] 50%[/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Picture Size [/font]or[font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Aspect Ratio [/font]or[font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Overscan:[/font][/font]
      • [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Screen Fit[/font] (Samsung)
      • [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Just Scan[/font] (LG)
      • [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Wide Mode: Full[/font] (Sony) and [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Display Area: Full Pixel[/font] (Sony)
      • This may also show up as [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]“Overscan: Off”[/font]
    [*]

[font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Advanced Settings:[/font]
    [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Turn off [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]any[/font] kind of interpolation, image/picture processing, or other things that claim to “improve” the image quality. The only exception is [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]“Game Mode” [/font]or sometimes [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]“Computer Mode”[/font], which generally enables faster frame rates (it bypasses a lot of the processing we don’t want), and which you’ll want to be [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]ON[/font] for a real-time application like Highfive — if your TV has it.[/font]
    [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Some Advanced Settings that should be turned OFF:[/font][/font]
    • [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Edge Enhancement:[/font] Off
    • [font=GothamRounded-Medium, GothamRounded-Book, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Motion Interpolation:[/font] Off
    [*]

[font=GothamRounded-Book, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]What HiFi also give this advice:[/font]
    Getting the best TV picture Don’t have a Samsung, LG, Panasonic or Sony TV? See general tips on improving your TV’s picture, whatever the brand. Before you get started, note down your default settings just in case you need to return to them later. Then follow the below method for improve your TV picture.  
    1. Make your picture black and white – turn off any picture enhancement modes and reduce the Colour setting until you get a black and white picture. 
    2. Adjust the brightness – pause a scene in a movie with a lot of dark scenes, something like The Matrix or The Dark Knight. Toggle the Brightness control until you can only just make out the detail in the darkest areas. 
    3. Adjust the contrast – now find a bright scene and change the Contrast setting until the picture is bright enough to be comfortable to watch, but without looking ‘washed out’. 
    4. Find a compromise - continue to tweak the brightness and contrast while switching between the bright and dark scenes until both feel comfortable to the eye but there’s still detail in the shadows. 
    5. Adjust the backlight - the picture should pop without being lit up like a battlefield (unless you’re watching War Horse, of course). 6. Get those skin tones just right - pause on a close up of an actor’s face, ideally during a scene with lots of natural light. Turn the Colour setting back up until the skin tones look life-like. A good rule of thumb is to keep going until the actor stops appearing sickly, but not permatanned. 
    7. Try your TV’s colour tone presets - some TVs come with colour tone options, such as cool, warm or neutral. Find the one which works best for your particular TV; you may find neutral is the best option. 
    8. Switch picture enhancements back on - the picture modes or enhancement features you switched off at the start can now be turned back on. Some will reduce distortion, others will smooth out motion; the key is to try them gradually and don’t be afraid to turn them off if you see odd-looking results on screen.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.