Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute Teacher opportunities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Snapgal wrote: »
    This is not true I have Gaeilge plus MFL subjects,16 years experience - 5 years in different schools since relocating closer to home and nowhere near CID. Have been applying for very few jobs in 3 different counties - an hr commute from me and other teachers I know with those subjects have no proper RPT jobs for next year. It’s not your subject it’s who you know especially. A very low hour Irish RPT contract I went for recently principal was not there. Not one word of Irish spoken to me. Knew deep down I didn’t have job but emailed the school later to see if was successful- no manners to even reply to my email. This thing that you will walk into a job with Irish and other so called in demand subjects really annoys me - people nearly look at me now as if something wrong with me that must be a very bad teacher when I can’t get work. I’’m so close to leaving teaching now after all my years.

I understand your frustration and I wouldn’t think there’s “something wrong with you” if you’re finding it hard to get work.
    Irish is still a more in demand subject compared to others, namely geography and history. Just out of interest, is Dublin in your range?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Is there any way Boards teachers could post their subject and location and others might be able to match them up with hours? I know my school is looking for a few teachers but can't find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I recently tried to have a rational conversation with someone who was perplexed and annoyed that after going to college as a mature student there were no jobs in the area they were qualified in the rural area they lived in and as a lone parent, they could not move. In Dublin and surrounding areas, they would be snapped up.

If you live in an area with a declining population and from that a declining school population its is going to be more difficult to get a job in teaching that is a huge factor and there is now way around it.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I recently tried to have a rational conversation with someone who was perplexed and annoyed that after going to college as a mature student there were no jobs in the area they were qualified in the rural area they lived in and as a lone parent, they could not move. In Dublin and surrounding areas, they would be snapped up.

If you live in an area with a declining population and from that a declining school population its is going to be more difficult to get a job in teaching that is a huge factor and there is now way around it.

How restricted was she to her location?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How restricted was she to her location?

A lot because of being a lone parent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

mariaalice wrote: »

It’s true there are less jobs in smaller population centers, the problem with travel is that if very small hours are on offer( the case now with some teaching jobs) then the travel costs may not make the job feasible, That’s before even childcare considerations as would be the case with your friend.

Blaizes wrote: »
    It’s true there are less jobs in smaller population centers, the problem with travel is that if very small hours are on offer( the case now with some teaching jobs) then the travel costs may not make the job feasible, That’s before even childcare considerations as would be the case with your friend.

Sometimes you may need to look further afield in search of the longer contracts as you never know how long you could be waiting for a contract in your local area. It’s the lack of job security, moving from maternity leave to maternity in different schools every year for a few weeks here and there; and before you know it you’ve spent 15 years doing this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Sometimes you may need to look further afield in search of the longer contracts as you never know how long you could be waiting for a contract in your local area. It’s the lack of job security, moving from maternity leave to maternity in different schools every year for a few weeks here and there; and before you know it you’ve spent 15 years doing this!

That’s it, the lack of job security, v. difficult. A teacher on vtf was talking about how they do it in France, seems selection procedure from day one as in even getting to teacher training college is very stringent, then teachers on qualifying are sent to schools in different parts of France with no choice regarding location. Seems what are deemed the best teachers are sent to the more challenging schools. Was v. interesting to read how other countries approach teaching appointments/ recruitment.

Blaizes wrote: »
    That’s it, the lack of job security, v. difficult. A teacher on vtf was talking about how they do it in France, seems selection procedure from day one as in even getting to teacher training college is very stringent, then teachers on qualifying are sent to schools in different parts of France with no choice regarding location. Seems what are deemed the best teachers are sent to the more challenging schools. MWas v. interesting to read how other countries approach teaching appointments/ recruitment.

I do believe it is unfair for teachers to be allowed qualify in particular subjects where they don’t stand a chance in getting hours to teach their subjects. So many end up leaving and never teaching after their student teaching days because of the lack of jobs. It should be regulated to some extent (an example colleges would only be allowed to take in a certain amount of student teachers in subject X as there are already too many qualified in subject X)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Although, I was shocked talking to an Italian teacher this year, said he was PT for 15 years without getting paid for the summer because he hadn't 'enough' children. Appointments are on a point based system and you get points for subjects, points for number of children etc, and the younger ones were catching up with him on points as he only had 2 kids.

I thought it sounded like a hysterical and very outdated system.

Can you imagine having fertility problems and never managing to get paid for your summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Considering the amount of Universities offering the PME in this country, every year taking in 30 - 40 students in some cases for each course, maybe more for others, + teachers training in UK and Hibernia pumping out hundreds of teachers each year, the teaching council registering unqualified teachers, its no wonder there arent enough jobs.
    Ive seen courses in other areas unrelated to teaching only run once every 2 or 3 years, surely something like this could be implemented were teacher training courses are concerned?
    Im surprised that colleges arent taking action on this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Im surprised that colleges arent taking action on this.

In the words of the great Swedish philosophers, 'Money, Money, Money'.

However, it's not as if the warnings about proper jobs are not all over the Internet, so people should research thoroughly before parting with the cash, especially in the madly over-subscribed subjects.

Yes, things change over four, or even two years, but people forget there is already a long queue of qualified people waiting ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

We really seem to be at crisis level in this country With second level teaching and very little seems to be happening about it.
    My local school has one teacher taking both HL maths classes as cannot find a replacement teacher - that’s 53 students in the class.
    Another local school had to drop German as couldn't get a German teacher - 6th years came back last September and no one to teach them German.

My niece has 3 separate Irish teachers in one given week for the entire year.

These are all well established schools in good areas - makes you wonder how the Déis schools manage to recruit at all!

Meanwhile, my sister Has a Science degree and Masters, along with her PME but the teaching council will only register her for LC biology - not Science - as she is short a couple of physics credits!

Crazy system and getting worse every year - heaven knows what it will be like by the time my children get to secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

spurious wrote: »
    In the words of the great Swedish philosophers, 'Money, Money, Money'.

However, it's not as if the warnings about proper jobs are not all over the Internet, so people should research thoroughly before parting with the cash, especially in the madly over-subscribed subjects.

Yes, things change over four, or even two years, but people forget there is already a long queue of qualified people waiting ahead of them.

I dont think it is very well known outside of the teaching community who are directly effected. Anyone ive said it too, outside of teaching has said to me that they thought there was a shortage of teachers and dont seem to grasp that there really are no jobs, its not just a bit of a struggle upon graduating, its an ongoing issue within the profession. When I said it to a friend of mine that I was struggling to get work, he said awe you just have to build up your hours, it'll be grand.
    Had someone else comment that I am wanting a full time permanent job now and that im just moaning, which is not the case at all, id be delighted to get any hours, anywhere.
    My hairdresser told me her daughter is going into secondary teaching, I told her theres no jobs, she said awe im sure she'll get something.

I dont think people outside of graduate teachers understand the extent of the problem and Universities have their own part to play in this as theyre not warning students before applying for the courses.
    Coleraine had 500 applicants for art teaching 2 years ago, thats just one college offering the course.

snor wrote: »
    We really seem to be at crisis level in this country With second level teaching and very little seems to be happening about it.
    My local school has one teacher taking both HL maths classes as cannot find a replacement teacher - that’s 53 students in the class.
    Another local school had to drop German as couldn't get a German teacher - 6th years came back last September and no one to teach them German.

My niece has 3 separate Irish teachers in one given week for the entire year.

These are all well established schools in good areas - makes you wonder how the Déis schools manage to recruit at all!

Meanwhile, my sister Has a Science degree and Masters, along with her PME but the teaching council will only register her for LC biology - not Science - as she is short a couple of physics credits!

Crazy system and getting worse every year - heaven knows what it will be like by the time my children get to secondary school.

That seem's chaotic for the students with 3 different Irish teachers! Is it possible 2 out of the 3 Irish teachers teaching your niece and her class are student teachers training?

In the case of the Science qualifications, many Science teachers don't meet the criteria to teacher JC Science but most schools allow them to anyways!

That seem's chaotic for the students with 3 different Irish teachers! Is it possible 2 out of the 3 Irish teachers teaching your niece and her class are student teachers training?

That was my initial thought, but my sister was saying two of the 3 were more mature men - she thought they were retired! Hope the situation improves this year. Other lady has been in thr school a while.

In the case of the Science qualifications, many Science teachers don't meet the criteria to teacher JC Science but most schools allow them to anyways![/quote]

Does this allow her to apply for advertised JC Science positions though? She didn’t think so. She’s in Middle East teaching st the moment but hopes to come hkmd next year. Thanks for info.

snor wrote: »
    In the case of the Science qualifications, many Science teachers don't meet the criteria to teacher JC Science but most schools allow them to anyways!

Does this allow her to apply for advertised JC Science positions though? She didn’t think so. She’s in Middle East teaching st the moment but hopes to come hkmd next year. Thanks for info.[/QUOTE]

I see no harm in her applying for the position. I take it she’s teaching a science related subject in the Middle East? Mention that on the CV. I saw there were a few Biology posts up during the summer, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Does this allow her to apply for advertised JC Science positions though? She didn’t think so. She’s in Middle East teaching st the moment but hopes to come hkmd next year. Thanks for info.

I see no harm in her applying for the position. I take it she’s teaching a science related subject in the Middle East? Mention that on the CV. I saw there were a few Biology posts up during the summer, actually.[/QUOTE]

While I don't think there is any harm applying the school may come under fire if a qualified candidate i.e. registered for science on registration is not shortlisted or successful at interview and find out and appeal the decision. I don't know if this ever happened but a DP told me this years ago. Things have changed with subbing now though.

With pay .... is a person teaching a subject not on their certificate - qualified or unqualified - I know for definite the ETBs class you as unqualified.

Inspections - will the department question qualifications at WSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rossean

Is there any way Boards teachers could post their subject and location and others might be able to match them up with hours? I know my school is looking for a few teachers but can't find them.

This is an idea. Have French and Irish as subjects and am looking for subbing in the west at the moment. I know most of the jobs are in the east but one lives in hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Did many get contacted that were in the Middle East I wonder ? Remember the DES set up a website for them to register so schools could contact them with vacancies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

I am in the PME and i know of some fellow students working in schools without a teaching qualification.

slingerz wrote: »
    I am in the PME and i know of some fellow students working in schools without a teaching qualification.

I take it they got in under further Ed. Are they definately being paid? Some schools give PME students their own groups outside of TP hours and don’t pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I take it they got in under further Ed. Are they definately being paid? Some schools give PME students their own groups outside of TP hours and don’t pay them.

def being paid. were in there before enrolling in the PME. Most likely have TC under further ed but have been back at school for start of year meetings etc. would expect subs to only be brought in once classes start rather than beginning of term meetings

Once they have that reg, the school can do whatever it wants. Even if there’s qualified teachers sitting by the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

makes a mockery of the whole teaching council system.
    However by allowing further ed route to teach it hides the teacher shortage. Before this there was a five day oireachtas rule which allowed unqualified people to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

kala85 wrote: »
    makes a mockery of the whole teaching council system.
    However by allowing further ed route to teach it hides the teacher shortage. Before this there was a five day oireachtas rule which allowed unqualified people to serve.

Is it not the case that unqualified you can work 5 days in the week but will only get pay for 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kodaline78

Hi I am a qualified primary teacher who is look to sub for the coming year. My Primary Degree was in Irish and History and am a fluent Irish speaker. I am thinking about applying for The ETB Substitute Teaching panel as i believe that Post Primary schools found it very difficult to get subs last year. I know that schools have to make every effort to find suitably qualified secondary teachers before they can even consider other candidates. Just wondering if I should apply. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

kodaline78 wrote: »
    Hi I am a qualified primary teacher who is look to sub for the coming year. My Primary Degree was in Irish and History and am a fluent Irish speaker. I am thinking about applying for The ETB Substitute Teaching panel as i believe that Post Primary schools found it very difficult to get subs last year. I know that schools have to make every effort to find suitably qualified secondary teachers before they can even consider other candidates. Just wondering if I should apply. Thanks in advance.

Why are you not considering primary school subbing?

• Advertisement

I’d say they want to have the option of subbing in both? It’s the norm in Northern Ireland.

Advertisement