Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to start with garden-just bought a house

Options
  • 20-08-2019 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought an old terraced house that has a south facing garden.
    The garden probably won't be the priority for now but is there anything I should be doing with it now to prep it for next year when I can get stuck in properly. It's very overgrown right now so I will cut it back soon to see what lies beneath.... I'd love to grow some wildflowers in it at some stage and plant some kind of a tree.

If anyone has any advice or can point me towards any good resources I'd appreciate it. I'm not green fingered at all but I've never really had the opportunity before so hoping I can learn.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is the right approach anyway! Cut it back and see what is there. Remove any rubbish (we were clearing a bit of garden new to us and found a kayak (yup, full size fibreglass kayak!) a paddling pond, sadly deflated, and a large pottery fish. So far, we are only about a third of the way across.) Look out for actual shrubs and trees as you hack, there might be things worth saving. If you find a level area chances are you have found an old lawn that might make a wildflower garden, depending on conditions.

If you would like to put up a few pics we might be able to offer suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah the gardeners friend, a town house terrace! Or are you end of same or maybe a common path at the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Ah the gardeners friend, a town house terrace! Or are you end of same or maybe a common path at the bottom?

No sadly not end of terrace. Couldn't afford that!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

Same as you I bought mid terrace Victorian fixer upper and have just completed gardens 4 years after buying. Like you I had other priorities like complete gutting and refurb of house.

However, massive improvements can be made with a little effort and for no real cost. If there's a hedge I'd recommend being brutal with it if its overgrown, the sooner its done the sooner it will fill out.

If its not concreted the front garden should be quick enough to clear down to bare earth and September is good time to sow wildflowers. Will take a few years to establish itself but in the interim will still look a lot better than what you have atm. A neighbour has done this near me and it looks great against the redbrick facade.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi,

I recently bought an old terraced house that has a south facing garden.
    The garden probably won't be the priority for now but is there anything I should be doing with it now to prep it for next year when I can get stuck in properly. It's very overgrown right now so I will cut it back soon to see what lies beneath.... I'd love to grow some wildflowers in it at some stage and plant some kind of a tree.

If anyone has any advice or can point me towards any good resources I'd appreciate it. I'm not green fingered at all but I've never really had the opportunity before so hoping I can learn.

Thanks

A lot of wildflowers grow better in low nutrient soil and most urban area soils I have seen have been fairly rich in organic material as well as other bits and pieces left over from previous residents. This means they favour the growth of strong growing grass, brambles, nettles, doc leaves and thistles and these will in good nutrient conditions out compete the nicer wildflowers.

Most trees also will get too big for the standard urban garden so you will need to be careful which type of tree you decide to plant so it is not one that you will need to be constantly cutting back.

The Royal Horticultural Society produce lots of informative material available online if you just include rhs in your search on your browser. If you wanted to know about a particular tree you are considering for example just put in the name of the tree and rhs into the browser search and they will usually have a page that will give lots of details about the tree including how big they are likely to grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

macraignil wrote: »
    A lot of wildflowers grow better in low nutrient soil and most urban area soils I have seen have been fairly rich in organic material as well as other bits and pieces left over from previous residents. This means they favour the growth of strong growing grass, brambles, nettles, doc leaves and thistles and these will in good nutrient conditions out compete the nicer wildflowers.

Most trees also will get too big for the standard urban garden so you will need to be careful which type of tree you decide to plant so it is not one that you will need to be constantly cutting back.

The Royal Horticultural Society produce lots of informative material available online if you just include rhs in your search on your browser. If you wanted to know about a particular tree you are considering for example just put in the name of the tree and rhs into the browser search and they will usually have a page that will give lots of details about the tree including how big they are likely to grow.

Thanks will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Without knowing the particulars I can only offer general advice.

Have a look at other gardens and see what you like. Decking? Raised beds? Kids play area? BBQ pit?
    Dont rush into making a lawn. Grass is hard work! And what to do with grass cuttings.... Beds & shrubs will be your friends long-term.
    Try some flower pots. Big small rectangular.... Its wide open! You get some colour this year and you can move them next year or plant out the ones doing well.
    For trees, you can plant in a big pot. If you make your own box, say 3x3x3 you will get a very decent tree! And no worry about spreading roots or overgrowth.

Advertisement