Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Runners - Sore Feet - 10 Mile Worries

• 20-08-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Sol old brooks gts 18's died last week after my long run - realized when I got home that the side had burst along the seam of the sole and the fabric.

Purchased some gts's 19. Did parkrun on Saturday and pleased to say no hip pain, which I had been feeling with the old ones, they were very well worn.

Problem now is that I'm getting a pain on the bottom of my big toe pad and my calves from the runners. Not when I'm using them but as soon as they're off the pain kicks in. I've been wearing them in the hope it subsides but nothing so far - due to run in them tonight again.

So - do I persevere with them and hope everything is ok for Saturday or do I go back to my old ones, tape them up and hope for the best.

I know runners always need some breaking in and the timing is unfortunate. Am I overthinking this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sol old brooks gts 18's died last week after my long run - realized when I got home that the side had burst along the seam of the sole and the fabric.

Purchased some gts's 19. Did parkrun on Saturday and pleased to say no hip pain, which I had been feeling with the old ones, they were very well worn.

Problem now is that I'm getting a pain on the bottom of my big toe pad and my calves from the runners. Not when I'm using them but as soon as they're off the pain kicks in. I've been wearing them in the hope it subsides but nothing so far - due to run in them tonight again.

So - do I persevere with them and hope everything is ok for Saturday or do I go back to my old ones, tape them up and hope for the best.

I know runners always need some breaking in and the timing is unfortunate. Am I overthinking this?

Did you use neutral runners and buy stability in error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Did you use neutral runners and buy stability in error?

Nope - all runners in last year have been stability! Did a 5k this afternoon and foot isn’t too bad, will just use the new ones and hope for the best

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Nope - all runners in last year have been stability! Did a 5k this afternoon and foot isn’t too bad, will just use the new ones and hope for the best

Thank you!

Are you sure this is caused by the new shoes? It's pretty unusual for new runners to cause problems so quickly, especially if you're sticking to the same model. How far have you run in the new shoes?
    Could the calf and toe pain be related to your previous hip issue? Maybe a trip to a good physio is needed.

Are you sure this is caused by the new shoes? It's pretty unusual for new runners to cause problems so quickly, especially if you're sticking to the same model. How far have you run in the new shoes?
    Could the calf and toe pain be related to your previous hip issue? Maybe a trip to a good physio is needed.

I know, I think it’s because the old runners were so worn they really offered very little support around that area and a summer of wearing flip flops hasn’t helped either! I think it just the the support is right, my foot is wrong. Have only done 2 x 5ks in them but did wear them walking this week to break them in for the 10 mile on Saturday. While I’m wearing them I’m in no pain and they felt great on both runs. Pain comes once I take them off - so plan to wear them on Saturday and never remove them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's a huge difference in terms of the support and how it is done between the 18 and 19. The newer one might not be right for you, but it's worth giving them a few more runs to be sure.

• Advertisement

There's a huge difference in terms of the support and how it is done between the 18 and 19. The newer one might not be right for you, but it's worth giving them a few more runs to be sure.

Good to know - has hoped it would be like for like, but happy to persevere

For anyone coming across this thread - ran the 10 mile yesterday in the new runners. Feet were sore walking the 2k to the start but I realized that I was adjusting my toe, so I made an effort to be aware of this and it worked! No foot pain at all, my hips are sore but I’d expect that after a long run and those hills!

Advertisement