Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

And a lot more people who "support" rugby do so to be seen to be above working class.

In fact, during this hiatus on sport, I haven't heard one person say how much they are missing the rugby. Not one. Which goes to show how much of a bandwagon a sport it is.

I do so there.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

And a lot more people who "support" rugby do so to be seen to be above working class.

In fact, during this hiatus on sport, I haven't heard one person say how much they are missing the rugby. Not one. Which goes to show how much of a bandwagon a sport it is.

What nonsense.

Its pure over hyped rubbish....

Full of nonsense buzzwords,no substance to it,atal

Skyfloater wrote: »

But have you ever said or remarked how much you miss it, since the hiatus? :pac:

Or do you perhaps not miss it at all, unlike a proper sportsfan who would miss watching a sport they loved if it was suspended due to exigent circumstances or whatnot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 56,356 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You’re right. Rugby is even worse for the fake support..

Huge fad in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Feminists would have nowhere to vent their everyday anger without twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 56,356 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What nonsense.

Not nonsense at all.

Huge bandwagon of rugby support because it’s seen as being cool to support it. So many pretending to support it because it’s in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Skyfloater wrote: »
    What nonsense.

But have you ever said or remarked how much you miss it, since the hiatus? :pac:

Or do you perhaps not miss it at all, unlike a proper sportsfan who would miss watching a sport they loved if it was suspended due to exigent circumstances or whatnot :p

In fairness isn't castletownman a Rossie??? Not much rugby there. Plus with the 20km distance rule sure that would only get you to strokestown. Not much rugby there either. :D

There are spots in Dublin where you would never know the GAA existed and they know nothing but rugby. It is in the breeding!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

walshb wrote: »
    Not nonsense at s..

Huge bandwagon of rugby support because it’s seen as being cool to support it. So many pretending to support it because it’s in fashion.

Yeah but some of those GAA ads are so far up their own arse.....some fella spouting pseudo patriotic ****e about family and community....like a trailer for Game of Thrones...all so worthy.

I am starting to think think that Donald Trump is an accidental marketing genius he always gets talked about. Good, bad, or indifferent. Even when he makes a balls of publicity shot it attracts attention.
    I suppose you could call him the ultimate social media 'influencer'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

No they don't.

Why would they need to be seen to be Irish when they already are.

There are some strange types who think that occasionally uttering a mishmash of broken Gaelic somehow makes them Irisher than people who have no interest in such codology.

In fairness isn't castletownman a Rossie??? Not much rugby there. Plus with the 20km distance rule sure that would only get you to strokestown. Not much rugby there either. :D

There are spots in Dublin where you would never know the GAA existed and they know nothing but rugby. It is in the breeding!

Its just complete sh1te though....theres no skill.involved in it

Its just decended into lads crashing into one another,getting bigger and bigger each year....at least in amateur era,there was a certain amount of faster movement etc.....its a terrible spectacle nowadays,at least its gone off tv now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I am starting to think think that Donald Trump is an accidental marketing genius he always gets talked about. Good, bad, or indifferent. Even when he makes a balls of publicity shot it attracts attention.
    I suppose you could call him the ultimate social media 'influencer'.

Nothing accidental about it. "Kayfabe" needs to be studied more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Feminists would have nowhere to vent their everyday anger without twitter

Donald Trump is a massive feminist by this logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I am not a Rossie. I have barely ever been in Roscommon throughout my life, thank christ.

I do take your point about the rugby spots in Dublin though. And there intends to be a fakeness among habitants of said spots and they wouldn't be universally liked across the country either :D

I am not a Rossie. I have barely ever been in Roscommon throughout my life, thank christ.

I do take your point about the rugby spots in Dublin though. And there intends to be a fakeness among habitants of said spots and they wouldn't be universally liked across the country either :D

Apologies for calling you a Rossie!

The pendulum which has swung to the right and alt right over the last five years is about to swing back left.

Social media sites are standing up to blowhards like Milo Yiannopolous and Katie Hopkins who offer no solutions and simply fan the flames of hate.

Left wing movements haven’t been this energised and united in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Anyone for an offload on the gain line ? :D

KiKi III wrote: »
    The pendulum which has swung to the right and alt right over the last five years is about to swing back left.

Social media sites are standing up to blowhards like Milo Yiannopolous and Katie Hopkins who offer no solutions and simply fan the flames of hate.

When you see,twitter moving againest its most high profile tweeter,giving fact checks etc

Its a clear sign,the tide has gone out on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Really? because all this time I've only heard how racist, sexist and evil we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Are you actually serious or are you blind.

The UK Labour Party has just conceded to itself that it has to radically overhaul itself to have a chance of getting back into power in the next 5 years

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/18/dysfunctional-toxic-culture-led-to-labour-defeat-major-report-finds

The Democratic Party in the US were defeated by a reality tv star in the last election....the same party can only muster up a decrepit yesterdays man as the candidate in the next election, for a party divided by identity politics.

The political left are making a lot of noise at the moment....noise that does not convert in the ballot box.

The Democratic Party may well be headed for the same thumping the Labour Party just received...remember...no one saw that coming either!!!

Its just complete sh1te though....theres no skill.involved in it

Its just decended into lads crashing into one another,getting bigger and bigger each year....at least in amateur era,there was a certain amount of faster movement etc.....its a terrible spectacle nowadays,at least its gone off tv now

I tried to into it and give it a chance, but couldn't stick it for the reasons you give. Might watch a really big game if there is something on it.

--

Anyway unpopular opinions

I do not like a lot of popular series/films

1) Game of thrones - gave up after seven episodes (was a struggle that far) - wooden characters and dialogue - dragged like mad. Lots of close ups and overly dramatic music when feck all was happening. Plus just naked riding put in as filler when they could not think of dialogue.

2) Love/Hate - gave up after one and a half episodes could not take it seriously. Instead of being 'afraid' of the gangsters with put on 'hardshaw' Dublin accents I would laugh. It was like Fair City.

3) Lord of the rings or any of those quest type stuff - I got bored at the climbing the mountain trek bit, and switched off.

I tried to into it and give it a chance, but couldn't stick it for the reasons you give. Might watch a really big game if there is something on it.

--

Anyway unpopular opinions

I do not like a lot of popular series/films

1) Game of thrones - gave up after seven episodes (was a struggle that far) - wooden characters and dialogue - dragged like mad. Lots of close ups and overly dramatic music when feck all was happening. Plus just naked riding put in as filler when they could not think of dialogue.

2) Love/Hate - gave up after one and a half episodes could not take it seriously. Instead of being 'afraid' of the gangsters with put on 'hardshaw' Dublin accents I would laugh. It was like Fair City.

3) Lord of the rings or any of those quest type stuff - I got bored at the climbing the mountain trek bit, and switched off.

I just could not buy into game of thrones atal.....i seen this young wan going hatching dragon eggs,and realised im.wasting my life here

Though also taught breaking bad was v.drawn out and found large parts boring,like its watchable for most part,but i dont get the religious devotion many of its fans have for it?

Are you actually serious or are you blind.

The UK Labour Party has just conceded to itself that it has to radically overhaul itself to have a chance of getting back into power in the next 5 years

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/18/dysfunctional-toxic-culture-led-to-labour-defeat-major-report-finds

The Democratic Party in the US were defeated by a reality tv star in the last election....the same party can only muster up a decrepit yesterdays man as the candidate in the next election, for a party divided by identity politics.

The political left are making a lot of noise at the moment....noise that does not convert in the ballot box.

The Democratic Party may well be headed for the same thumping the Labour Party just received...remember...no one saw that coming either!!!

Ah, but your perspective is so very limited and old-fashioned. Youth based left-wing movements coalesce around issues rather than political parties. Think climate change, BLM, #MeToo, or Repeal here in Ireland. Young people realise that politics is broken and as such are resourcefully utilising activism to achieve their goals rather than jumping through the hoops of traditional party structures designed to keep them out.

Climate change is on the agenda. Abortion is free, safe, and legal. Gay people can marry. Slut shaming sexual assault victims, while still common, is far less socially acceptable these days.

And Donald Trump, who was meant to sail through two terms is on shaky grounds even though his opponent is Joe Biden.

I’ve never felt more hopeful.

Ah, but your perspective is so very limited and old-fashioned. Youth based left-wing movements coalesce around issues rather than political parties. Think climate change, BLM, #MeToo, or Repeal here in Ireland. Young people realise that politics is broken and as such are resourcefully utilising activism to achieve their goals rather than jumping through the hoops of traditional party structures designed to keep them out.

Climate change is on the agenda. Abortion is free, safe, and legal. Gay people can marry. Slut shaming sexual assault victims, while still common, is far less socially acceptable these days.

And Donald Trump, who was meant to sail through two terms is on shaky grounds even though his opponent is Joe Biden.

I’ve never felt more hopeful.

Actually my perpective is based on what has already happened.

You see Kiki...you'll learn someday that we here in Ireland are often way behind the curve when it comes to social change....it's why a lot of us cannot fathom what is happening in the US or UK...and while much of our recent positive social changes were long overdue they have nothing to do with what is happening not just in the US or UK but all over Europe...you are confusing twitter/social media rabbit holes with reality.

Meth Brain wrote: »
    You honestly thought Jeremy Corbyn would be PM, didn't you?

Literally didn’t mention UK politics once. Lay off the meth!

You honestly thought Jeremy Corbyn would be PM, didn't you?

His incompetence as a leader of a major political party was only matched by Jo Swinson....both parties got annihilated by the electorate.

Actually my perpective is based on what has already happened.

You see Kiki...you'll learn someday that we here in Ireland are often way behind the curve when it comes to social change....it's why a lot of us cannot fathom what is happening in the US or UK...and while much of our recent positive social changes were long overdue they have nothing to do with what is happening not just in the US or UK but all over Europe...you are confusing twitter/social media rabbit holes with reality.

Oh my boomer friend, how wrong you are. I had a Twitter account once, but not since maybe 2011.

Oh my boomer friend, how wrong you are. I had a Twitter account once, but not since maybe 2011.

How are you so misinformed then? What media do you consume?

• Advertisement

Yes but you cried when he lost, didn't you?

Nope. I consider the choice of Corbyn or Johnson, or indeed Trump/ Biden to by symptoms of how broken politics is generally in both countries.

If I lived in either country, I’d rally around the causes that matter to me rather than a party per my previous post.

Read good-er.

Advertisement