Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,356 ✭✭✭✭walshb

da_miser wrote: »
    Is this what we are now calling female rugby fans?

They make up the cohort alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's not me feeling like an underclass, it's others who don't know the rules of the game or wouldn't even watch the PRO14 (particularly if its on TG4) that suddenly become experts when the national team are playing, and just have to be seen to be a rugby fan. As if its a more worthy sport to be following or something.

I don't know about any of that. I'm just a fan because I love following it.

But more to the point, so what if people follow rungy because it's popular? It's sport, it's not supposed to be serious. It's just a made up game with made up rules. I don't care who watches it or why they watch it. Other people watching a sport couldn't possibly annoy me. I've no idea why it annoys you.

I don't know about any of that. I'm just a fan because I love following it.

But more to the point, so what if people follow rungy because it's popular? It's sport, it's not supposed to be serious. It's just a made up game with made up rules. I don't care who watches it or why they watch it. Other people watching a sport couldn't possibly annoy me. I've no idea why it annoys you.

Its too dangerous though.....we shouldnt be encouraging our youth to play it,

Plus its just over hyped rubbish,lads think ireland are world beaters at it,we have never ever won a competitive knock out game,even our soccer team has managed this

How many different names are there for the fly-half position???buzzword central,no substance imo

Plus its just over hyped rubbish,lads think ireland are world beaters at it,we have never ever won a competitive knock out game,even our soccer team has managed this

How many different names are there for the fly-half position???buzzword central,no substance imo

Ireland is good at rugby. Other teams are good too so I don't expect Ireland to win anything. The football team.is not good in world terms. But they different sports so it doesn't really matter. And I suppprt my teams regardless of how good they are.

If you don't k ow how many terms there are for the no10 position, that's fine. Not knowing about something is an odd reason to criticise it though.

There's loads of substance. It's a made up game and if you don't get it, that's grand. Genuinely interesting to see people get cross about other people enjoying a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the difference is because the northern and southern hemispheres developed their own naming conventions.

• Advertisement

We are world class, and on our day we have shown this..Capable of hanging with any team..

Ireland is good at rugby. Other teams are good too so I don't expect Ireland to win anything. The football team.is not good in world terms. But they different sports so it doesn't really matter. And I suppprt my teams regardless of how good they are.

Ireland arent any good....get arse handed to.em in any competitve knock out games...bottlers
    If you don't k ow how many terms there are for the no10 position, that's fine. Not knowing about something is an odd reason to criticise it though.

I know of 8 different names,for.the same position....its just hyped up nonsense
    There's loads of substance. It's a made up game and if you don't get it, that's grand. Genuinely interesting to see people get cross about other people enjoying a sport.

Theres no substance to it....im open to correction here,but dont rugby supporters cheer,when their own team kicks the ball out of play?

walshb wrote: »
    We are world class, and on our day we have shown this..Capable of hanging with any team..

Did NZ not beat them by 30 odd points in the last knock out game we played?

And?

Nobody is claiming we are the best. We are WC, though. And we have beaten all the top teams at one stage or another...

And?

Nobody is claiming we are the best. We are WC, though. And we have beaten all the top teams at one stage or another...

to.me losing a game by 30 odd points and claiming we among best in the world....are not compatible positions?

Bit like claiming waterford gonna win hurling,when we regularly get beat by 20 plus pints

• Advertisement

Ireland arent any good....get arse handed to.em in any competitve knock out games...bottlers

I know of 8 different names,for.the same position....its just hyped up nonsense

Theres no substance to it....im open to correction here,but dont rugby supporters cheer,when their own team kicks the ball out of play?

Ah, take it from someone who actually follows the sport and knows about it, Ireland is good at rugby. Other teams are good too and Ireland doesn't always win. That doesn't upset me as much as it seems to upset you.

Ireland is not good at soccer. But what difference does that make? People follow their teams for reasons other than them always winning.

On the last part about fans cheering when their team kicks the ball out.of play. That would depend on whether there's a tactical advantage to kicking the ball out, where it's kicked out and how effective the kick was, whether it will cause the opposition consider dropping a defender from the line and position them deep to cover future kicks or if it was just to relieve pressure - that's some of the substance around kicking to touch.

Given you don't understand the game, why bother to get cross about it?

Ah, take it from someone who actually follows the sport and knows about it, Ireland is good at rugby. Other teams are good too and Ireland doesn't always win. That doesn't upset me as much as it seems to upset you.

Ireland is not good at soccer. But what difference does that make? People follow their teams for reasons other than them always winning.

Losing by 30 plus points in last competive game,simply suggests otherwise
    On the last part about fans cheering when their team kicks the ball out.of play. That would depend on whether there's a tactical advantage to kicking the ball out, where it's kicked out and how effective the kick was, whether it will cause the opposition consider dropping a defender from the line and position them deep to cover future kicks - that's some of the substance around kicking to touch.

Given you don't understand the game, why bother to get cross about it?

Theres no substance to kicking for touch,its lack of skill that they cant retain possession.....lumping it up field and trying to claw it back again is a terrible spectacle for anyone to be watch

Losing by 30 plus points in last competive game,simply suggests otherwise

Theres no substance to kicking for touch,its lack of skill that they cant retain possession.....lumping it up field and trying to claw it back again is a terrible spectacle for anyone to be watch

Yeah but, you don't understand the game so I hope your understand why I don't rate your opinions on the game.

But why bother to get cross about it at all? You don't understand it and don't like it, so why care about other people enjoying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Cannabis should be fully decriminalised and made available to any adult over 18 like the Netherlands and the vintners should have zero say in it.

Cannabis is no more a "gateway" drug than booze is. Besides, cannabis gives a different "high" than cocaine, benzos etc. So the "gateway" argument is bullshit.

The Netherlands is no more or less functional as a society than we are and regulating the source of it will remove the criminality.

Yeah but don't understand the game so I hope your understand why I don't rate your opinions on the game.

But why bother to get cross about it at all? You don't understand it and don't like it, so why care about other people enjoying it?

Im not cross....its just pure bullsh1t passed off as sport

Im all for trying new things,i tried to enjoy it....but as a spectacle its woeful and i qs how anyone can enjoy it

Its on forever too.much on TV and given too much media coverage for what is a sport played by a v.tiny minority here.....we are the rugby equilavant of england in soccer with the hype surronding it here,only difference being england have won it

Its on forever too.much on TV and given too much media coverage for what is a sport played by a v.tiny minority here.....we are the rugby equilavant of england in soccer with the hype surronding it here,only difference being england have won it

What I think is kind of mad is the focus on psychology that's way more prevailent in Rugby too..You used never see that in football..

'Well, the fly half is a bit sad today, so they'll have to work on that.."

Im all for trying new things,i tried to enjoy it....but as a spectacle its woeful and i qs how anyone can enjoy it

Compared to GAA football? What do you think?

Personally, rugby more appealing to me...

I actually greatly admire the GAA as an organization. When I think of what makes me proud to be Irish, the GAA organization is up there..

I just also happen to think it’s the most ridiculously oversaturated sport ever...

It’s beyond incessant...

And an absolute heap of pretend fans pretending they give a Sh1t about it..

The football, for the most part is very painful viewing!

And an absolute heap of pretend fans pretending they give a Sh1t about it..

In fairness, a lot of the GAA lads were playing since they were 4 years of age.

90% of the rugby lads just started watching it in the mid 2000s when Munster started winning..

GAA football is sh1te alright though..

In fairness, a lot of the GAA lads were playing since they were 4 years of age.

90% of the rugby lads just started watching it in the mid 2000s when Munster started winning..

GAA football is sh1te alright though..

Hurling gods gift to the world......never forget in middle of the coronavuris at its worst,the rugby crowd started a petition to play a schools match

What I think is kind of mad is the focus on psychology that's way more prevailent in Rugby too..You used never see that in football..

'Well, the fly half is a bit sad today, so they'll have to work on that.."

What are you on about? Lads, if you don't understand a sport, that's grand. But going on and on about it is a bit sad. Nobody forces you to watch it. Only the six nations and world cup are on free to air TV.

I don't like GAA or soccer, but other people like them so I'm happy for them that they enjoy it. I can't get my head around someone being cross about a sport they dont understand or follow. It's sport, it's all made up for entertainment.

I'm really looking forward to the rugby coming back.

• Advertisement

Rugby gets a lot of coverage alright. Probably because Ireland is one of the top teams in the world. The provences are decent too. If Ireland was any good at football there would probably be a lot more coverage of Irish football. Likewise if Irish domestic football league was any good it would probably get a lot more media coverage. It would be the same for any oh her sport. If Ireland was world class at athletics or any other sport, it would get loads of coverage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

But they beat them in a friendly, oh no wait a ''test match''

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Most Irish people identify more with British culture - but would never say it out loud.
    Especially those in working class areas in the ROI whose only expression of Irishness is to shout about how Republican they are, in between Sky Sports soccer games.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

cms88 wrote: »
    But they beat them in a friendly, oh no wait a ''test match''

Guiness test series and heino.cup with the goys.....snigger

Be the equilivalent of waterford beating limerick in league,and then getting beat by say 30 points in the knock out rounds

Guiness test series and heino.cup with the goys.....snigger

Be the equilivalent of waterford beating limerick in league,and then getting beat by say 30 points in the knock out rounds

For people who don't understand the sport, it certainly seems to make you cross. Why spend so much time thinking about it?

For people who don't understand the door, it certainly deems to make you cross. Why spend so much time thinking about it?

Because its always on tv and in paper (except when that munster player was caught cheating drugs,barely got a mention).....ive tried to get into it.....its just a terrible spectacle of little skill.....and what limited skill.is hyped beyond recognition

An "offload" is called a pass in any other sport.....except rugby,which needs buzzwords to describe basic sporting practices......and people fall for this

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Because its always on tv and in paper (except when that munster player was caught cheating drugs,barely got a mention).....ive tried to get into it.....its just a terrible spectacle of little skill.....and what limited skill.is hyped beyond recognition

An "offload" is called a pass in any other sport.....except rugby,which needs buzzwords to describe basic sporting practices......and people fall for this

look, you just dont understand the game. the obsession with a game you dont understand is just bizarre. and it is on a lot less than it was since RTE lost the rights to a lot of games unless you pay for sports channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

That the current BLM movement is going to encourage the mass white population to vote for trump in the re-election.Because they are tired of the pc bull****.

Only the six nations and world cup are on free to air and even still, it's pretty easy to not watch something on TV that you don't want to watch.

Do you seriously not know the difference between a pass and an offload in rugby? I know you said you don't understand kicking strategy, but the offload/pass distinction is pretty basic in rugby.

I think your experience of trying to get into it has left you scared. Most people just ignore sports rhst don't appeal to them. I don't like GAA and it's on TV a lot. I just don't watch it. Easy.

Do you follow any sport yourself?

• Advertisement

Only the six nations and world cup are on free to air and even still, it's pretty easy to not watch something on TV that you don't want to watch.

Do you seriously not know the difference between a pass and an offload in rugby? I know you said you don't understand kicking strategy, but the offload/pass distinction is pretty basic in rugby.

There do be rugby on tg4....in half full stadiums,lads rolling around in muck usually.....what is so distinctive about offload to warrent a new buzzword for it
    I think your experience of trying to get into it has left you scared. Most people just ignore sports rhst don't appeal to them. I don't like GAA and it's on TV a lot. I just don't watch it. Easy.

Do you follow any sport yourself?

I rarely watch it nowadays.....still tune in to see ireland play like,but jesus the rubbish,commentry,silly buzzwords and hype that surronds it,just irritates me....

Tbf gaelic football is an abomination nowadays,though.some counties are returning to catch and kick,which hopefully make it worth watching again....i couldnt recommend anyone watch it

I like to watch top quality hurling,but follow.waterford :( ....in.hurling,football,soccer even god forbid,like to see waterford teams do well in rugby..

Advertisement