Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,370 ✭✭✭✭walshb

walshb wrote: »
    That’s not an unpopular opinion..
    How would that be determined?

I reckon a spelling test for starters..should weed out a lot of them!

What other country would be still be waffling on about a draw from 30 years ago in a WC match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

What other country would be still be waffling on about a draw from 30 years ago in a WC match?

England still talking about 1966

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That recent cover of "Dreams" that all those female singers recorded lately is cheesy and nowhere near as good as the original. There's a few bits in it where the singer veers completely off the tempo of the song to add her own bit, like an extended holding of a note or something, that if it happened on x-factor, people would be up in arms claiming that it's glorified karaoke.

Yet all I have heard is glowing reviews, mainly because to perhaps think it's not that good would be seen as sexist or sacrilegious.

In fact, a broader opinion is that female arts, music and literature aren't subject to the same mainstream criticisms as males. You never see comedy films featuring female leads as critically panned for being rubbish as an immediate example.

Even stretching to this - there are no female comedians that are genuinely funny, some either struggle to deliver ‘funny acting roles’ completely scripted by men (melissa mccarthy) or just use comedy as a vehicle to give out about men / talk about being overweight or pregnant as if those are hillarious.

Actors and musicians are as dumb as a bag of rocks (at least the ones who talk sh1t about under-representation of women and minorities in the "industry")

A lot of this giving out is done at the Grammys and Oscars.

These idiots with their imaginary beefs with, who knows, most likely have the ear of producers/moguls/movers & shakers yet go on their virtue signalling rants, oftentimes in auditoriums where there are copious amounts of these executives present :rolleyes:

Must be blaming TV and Print Media, and the public too. They can't do fk all to 'redress the balance'

So they must be stupid... unless they're pushing an agenda :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That recent cover of "Dreams" that all those female singers recorded lately is cheesy and nowhere near as good as the original. There's a few bits in it where the singer veers completely off the tempo of the song to add her own bit, like an extended holding of a note or something, that if it happened on x-factor, people would be up in arms claiming that it's glorified karaoke.

Yet all I have heard is glowing reviews, mainly because to perhaps think it's not that good would be seen as sexist or sacrilegious.

In fact, a broader opinion is that female arts, music and literature aren't subject to the same mainstream criticisms as males. You never see comedy films featuring female leads as critically panned for being rubbish as an immediate example.

But of course its not as good, its done by a load of no-names. I hadnt heard of it till this post and checked it out.

Female or not, covers with multiple artists are almost always sh1te

cms88 wrote: »
    England still talking about 1966

Yes, but they fooking won the bloody thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Actors and musicians are as dumb as a bag of rocks (at least the ones who talk sh1t about under-representation of women and minorities in the "industry")

These idiots with their imaginary beefs with, who knows, most likely have the ear of producers/moguls/movers & shakers yet go on their virtue signalling rants, oftentimes in auditoriums where there are copious amounts of these executives present :rolleyes:

Must be blaming TV and Print Media, and the public too. They can't do fk all to 'redress the balance'

Latest complainet is Irish raido not playing enough Irish female musicians. Nothing said about the fact they don't play all that much male ones either but that's not an issue...

100 percent

They are vomit inducing.....Just very odd people

It's like they are never not acting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I reckon a spelling test for starters..should weed out a lot of them!

Worked really well in the Segregation era deep south.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/09/20/could-you-pass-this-test-given-to-black-people-registering-to-vote-in-america-in-1964-6941338/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And when you think about it, film and tv acting is the "newest" form of entertainment, yet they talk like its some ancient craft.

And all this guff about playing role models and inspirational figures in film- ye are essentially pretending to be people that actually made a difference to society. They are/were the people we should be listening to, not the actor who played them.

And going on about "passion projects"- yet they have no qualms taking big bucks whenever they do a film they just know is going to be bad.

Pretentious nonsense that does more virtue-signalling yet is more guilty of inequality than other industry.

CrankyHaus wrote: »

I'm talking about Ireland in the 21st century, not the U.S. 50-60 +years ago.

Go in to vote.....spelling test....pass this, on your way.....maybe 5-10 words randomly chosen, all of similar level....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I'm talking about Ireland in the 21st century, not the U.S. 50-60 +years ago.

Go in to vote.....spelling test....pass this, on your way.....maybe 5-10 words randomly chosen, all of similar level....

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out how a reasonable idea can be open to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I sometimes wish I was 12 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There is a certain reprehensible element and just oddness among certain Liverpool fans more than other club supporters, yet to bring it up your the one seen as 'salty' or 'bitter'.

Since they were confirmed champions on Thursday night (credit where its due, they were outstanding all season), I have seen grown men share embarrassingly twee and cheesy photo montages on social media. THIS MEANS MORE says married father-of-three Johnny from Mullingar.

I've seen a good chunk of the fan-base who can't celebrate their first title win in thirty years without having a dig at United. I know as a United fan myself, there was nowhere near the level of obsession about where Liverpool finished up on the table when United were winning titles. I, along with a couple other United fans, was added to a Liverpool supporters whatsapp group after they won the Champions League last year. Because you know, celebrating amongst themselves isn't enough.

I've been at a couple of funerals through the years of Liverpool fans where You Never Walk Alone was played and the focus of the eulogy seemed to be that the deceased was a Liverpool fan. I don't know about anyone else, but when I die, if my defining legacy in my life is the fact I supported an English soccer club, I would be disappointed.

Then there is the reprehensible actions of their more 'passionate' fans. It was labelled as passionate when they attacked City's team bus before a crucial game two season's ago. I have seen a few people being squared up to in pubs (in bleedin' Gorey, not Anfield Rd.) because they had the audacity to cheer for the other team. They have gathered in droves in Liverpool city centre since Thursday too and by all accounts haven't left the place tidy after themselves. Social distancing? Pahaha. THIS MEANS MORE. Don't dare mention Heysel though and their part in crowd trouble in the 80s.

This post will probably set off the siren in the Liverpool thread now, but I am peace with them winning the league as it was richly deserved, and was magnaminous when they won their last two CL titles too. But their fans definitely live up to the unbearable tag.

There is a certain reprehensible element and just oddness among certain Liverpool fans more than other club supporters, yet to bring it up your the one seen as 'salty' or 'bitter'.

Since they were confirmed champions on Thursday night (credit where its due, they were outstanding all season), I have seen grown men share embarrassingly twee and cheesy photo montages on social media. THIS MEANS MORE says married father-of-three Johnny from Mullingar.

I've seen a good chunk of the fan-base who can't celebrate their first title win in thirty years without having a dig at United. I know as a United fan myself, there was nowhere near the level of obsession about where Liverpool finished up on the table when United were winning titles. I, along with a couple other United fans, was added to a Liverpool supporters whatsapp group after they won the Champions League last year. Because you know, celebrating amongst themselves isn't enough.

I've been at a couple of funerals through the years of Liverpool fans where You Never Walk Alone was played and the focus of the eulogy seemed to be that the deceased was a Liverpool fan. I don't know about anyone else, but when I die, if my defining legacy in my life is the fact I supported an English soccer club, I would be disappointed.

Then there is the reprehensible actions of their more 'passionate' fans. It was labelled as passionate when they attacked City's team bus before a crucial game two season's ago. They have gathered in droves in Liverpool city centre since Thursday too and by all accounts haven't left the place tidy after themselves. Social distancing? Pahaha. THIS MEANS MORE. Don't dare mention Heysel though and their part in crowd trouble in the 80s.

This post will probably set off the siren in the Liverpool thread now, but I am peace with them winning the league as it was richly deserved, and was magnaminous when they won their last two CL titles too. But their fans definitely live up to the unbearable tag.

I work with a load of Liverpool fans..

Yeah, the last few days have been kind of ridiculous..
    At times I've been like "you realize you're a fully grown man, do you?.."

I suppose we're in the age of the eternal teenager these days across the board. I think people have become somewhat vacuous and need these things to kind of define themselves..

But yeah, Liverpool fans are a scourge..

With reference to some of the posts above and regarding Irish Liverpool fans; well a lot of "do as you likeys" support that particular club... That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw that a poster had witnessed "agg" in an Irish pub:D over someone cheering on another team...

I also think that the Liverpool fans should have been let have their 'not adhering to social distancing rules/guidelines?' celebrations.. Other "gatherings" were allowed after all, something to do with protests over statues and police; but apparently celebrating has a dim view taken of it.

"The Gathering" "The Grabbing" will be rebooted in 2023.

From my teenage years, I used to buy Airfix kits & "Part Works" as well as magazines like Your Sinclair later PC World, PC Pro etc from Easons O'Connell Street.

Later, Easons opened in places like Tallaght and Dun Laoghaire.
    Easons bricks & mortar is still shut in the Square Tallaght today Saturday 27th. I looked up to Easons, they were respectable competitors to Marks Models and stores like Metro Music etc.

Marks Models and Metro Music bricks and mortar shops are now open today Saturday 27th ,

EDIT: Easons exhibits a certain business mentality like other UK stores who are mulling over whether or not to open. Business is business, ok.

I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Gender quotas should be abolished. No-one is discriminating against you.

People with hereditary medical conditions should be paid to get sterilised.

We need to get tougher on traveller anti social behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Psychology college courses are full of women who will contribute nothing new to the subject. Most of its major developments and ideas this century will get done by men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

vriesmays wrote: »
    Psychology college courses are full of women who will contribute nothing new to the subject. Most of its major developments and ideas this century will get done by men.

Show your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

We need to get tougher on traveller anti social behaviour.

I think thats a very popular opnion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Blacks have a worse time with racism than Arabs or even Gypsies. I always hear Arabs say that they get discriminated against (whether in US, UK, Ireland) but in my experience, that's from wearing the jihab.

To be honest, I know a lot of black people that'd kill to be Arab or Jew. The reality is, that most people only know in the West if you're either if you're wearing a burka. I have a Libyan woman friend who deconverted from Islam and everyone always think's she's from Southern Europe cause of her dark skin.

Black people are a unique position that the marker that put them up for discrimination is solely their skin colour. So unlike Muslims, they can't stop wearing a burka or unlike Gypsies they can't dress like Westerners. No matter how rich a black person is, they'll still be looked upon badly when travelling to some parts of the world. Same can't be said for an Arab or Gypsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

United and Liverpool fans are exactly the same. They're all glory hunters who picked the most most successful clubs in the history of English soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A lot of SF supporters are as thick as two short planks.

It’s the unpopular opinions thread, not the ‘tell the truth thread!‘

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That's mean.
    However I'm friends with people and they share pictures to win sunglasses, Lidl vouchers from strange facebook pages and then a picture of Mary Lou every few hours saying she is their leader!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Only a teeny tiny number of people in this country actually care about direct provision.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Only a teeny tiny number of people in this country actually care about direct provision.

What is direct provision and why is it bad?

Advertisement