Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What is direct provision and why is it bad?

Accommodation for refugee applicants while a decision is being made, or they have no accommodation.

I'm not really sure what's bad about it, especially compared to what people must be fleeing to come to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Only a teeny tiny number of people in this country actually care about direct provision.

But a lot pretend to care!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,370 ✭✭✭✭walshb

SFC1895 wrote: »
    But a lot pretend to care!

Like the GAA support..

The Irish language is dead. Let it rest in peace!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Kneeling before a premier league game doesn't help to eradicate racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The most off-putting thing about League of Ireland football isn’t the mediocre standard of play, but the arsehole hardcore supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

walshb wrote: »
    The Irish language is dead. Let it rest in peace!!!

Over a million people proactively trying to learn it on DuoLingo right now would suggest you’re wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Accommodation for refugee applicants while a decision is being made, or they have no accommodation.

I'm not really sure what's bad about it, especially compared to what people must be fleeing to come to Ireland

Direct Provision is a really interesting thing , cos it unites all sides.
    one of the few topics where all sides of the debate are in agreement

The no-boarders crowd think it's barbaric and everybody should allowed stay in ireland and given a free house.

the anti-multiculturalism crowd think people should land have a hearing on their status in a short period and either be allowed stay or sent packing immediately with no fannying about for years in limbo and the tax payers expense and super profits to private companies...and nobody should get a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's ridiculous that Ireland has a minister for the islands. All land masses matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

A truth that is unpopular is this; people thinking that having a not consciously chosen homosexual attraction means that one ought be free to act out on it and that one can have rights based upon it, is a manifestation of the darkening of the intellect in our modern society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A truth that is unpopular is this; people thinking that having a not consciously chosen homosexual attraction means that one ought be free to act out on it and that one can have rights based upon it, is a manifestation of the darkening of the intellect in our modern society.

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

what?

Reads as: Homosexuality should be illegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

That the Black lives matter movement is a far left ideology that should be left out of all sporting occasions,
    plenty of other arenas for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Nal wrote: »
    Reads as: Homosexuality should be illegal.

i see. i wonder what they think of consciously chosen homosexuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

type that out again son and use your words

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

when the first person does it, it's a powerful statement that breaks down walls and opens discussion and it's punk.

from then on it's mainstream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It's farcical as are the badges and t shirts,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

type that out again son and use your words

He is a Lord!

Paedophile does not automatically mean a bad person

So misunderstood.......nobody chooses to be a paedophile....

It's an attraction no different than other attractions...

Pedophiles cannot stop their attraction to pre-pubescent people. Same way heterosexual people cannot stop their attractions to adult members of the opposite sex.

Acting on this attraction to exploit and damage children is when a paedophile becomes a bad person...

Overall human sexuality is such a complex and convoluted and gray area.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Paedophile does not automatically mean a bad person

So misunderstood.......nobody chooses to be a paedophile....

It's an attraction no different than other attractions...

Pedophiles cannot stop their attraction to pre-pubescent people. Same way heterosexual people cannot stop their attraction...

Acting on this attraction to exploit and damage children is when a paedophile becomes a bad person...

Overall human sexuality is such a complex and convoluted and gray area.....

Being a pedophile is one thing but acting on it is another ball game completely- that makes you a child abuser and sex offender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Being a pedophile is one thing but acting on it is another ball game completely- that makes you a child abuser and sex offender.

Yes

It's why I hate hearing the mob mentality of ALL pedophiles should be killed...

Plenty people are good and caring and decent and wonderful people, who would never ever want to harm children...they simply cannot help that they have an attraction to children.

Not every person that is sexually attracted to children is the same.....same as any other attraction....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I never liked any of Johnny Cash's songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Believing that black lives matter is entirely possible without supporting the Black Lives Matter movement.

Jimi Hendrix.......

Am I missing something?

Seems like disorganized noise to me...

Yes

It's why I hate hearing the mob mentality of ALL pedophiles should be killed...

Plenty people are good and caring and decent and wonderful people, who would never ever want to harm children...they simply cannot help that they have an attraction to children.

Not every person that is sexually attracted to children is the same.....same as any other attraction....

I think the term really ought better to be termed “Paedophile Sex Offender”. It’s funny, a (female) colleague of mine once suggested during break time chat that there must be a hell of a lot more people with proclivity in that direction that they never would act on, same as, eg, an older married man who is potentially very attracted to a pretty young woman he sees around, but deliberately turns his mind away from it and wouldn’t dream of acting on it. She reckoned some suicides may possibly be the result of psychological distress about this proclivity being on their conscience, and definitely knowing they will never get a “sympathetic” ear as it’s probably the greatest social stigma there is.

I think the term really ought better to be termed “Paedophile Sex Offender”. It’s funny, a (female) colleague of mine once suggested during break time chat that there must be a hell of a lot more people with proclivity in that direction that they never would act on, same as, eg, an older married man who is potentially very attracted to a pretty young woman he sees around, but deliberately turns his mind away from it and wouldn’t dream of acting on it. She reckoned some suicides may possibly be the result of psychological distress about this proclivity being on their conscience, and definitely knowing they will never get a “sympathetic” ear as it’s probably the greatest social stigma there is.

Could well believe it

They are people like any other people.....good, bad, ugly......they are sons, uncles, fathers, brothers, grandfathers etc.....yes, women can be pedophiles, but far more men.

They simply have an attraction to younger people......

Gay men are more attracted to men. Straight men to women and so on....

All just people....

Just bugs me that people don't stop, think a little, break it down and then discuss.........

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Could well believe it

They are people like any other people.....good, bad, ugly......they are sons, uncles, fathers, brothers, grandfathers etc.....yes, women can be pedophiles, but far more men.

They simply have an attraction to younger people......

Gay men are more attracted to men. Straight men to women and so on....

All just people....

Just bugs me that people don't stop, think a little, break it down and then discuss.........

The mentality that pedophiles are mentally ill is also a dangerous pothole. When you break down that logic and science of it you would come to the conclusion that homosexuals must also be mentally ill. Either you accept that it's a choiceless natural attraction or you unwittingly become a homophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Lyan wrote: »
    The mentality that pedophiles are mentally ill is also a dangerous pothole. When you break down that logic and science of it you would come to the conclusion that homosexuals must also be mentally ill. Either you accept that it's a choiceless natural attraction or you unwittingly become a homophobe.

Not the same
    The difference is in the latter you have two adults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Christ on a bike...are ye all for real? A Paedophile= attracted to kids= wants to have sex with kids=bad person.
    They don't deserve any sympathetic ears...and PS anyone attracted to a "pretty young WOMAN" is not a paedophile.

Advertisement