Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nokotan wrote: »
    At least our winners win the All-Ireland and not the World Championship like the American folk.

I'm pretty sure more countries take part in the All-Ireland than the World Championship in some sports in the US.

I know you didn't mention American sports at all but it's something that bugs me.

The U.S. are world class pro athletes. Best in the world....

NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL have produced icons of sport....

Nobody apart from some Irish people give a fook about GAA sport....

Globally these U.S. sports are massive....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

walshb wrote: »

I still don't see how it makes them World Champions when it's only North American teams competing. I wouldn't have thought that was something anyone would try to defend.

Obviously subjective but I much prefer GAA to any of the 'US' sports and surprisingly I'm able to enjoy it safe in the knowledge the most of the rest of the world doesn't even know it exists.

Edit: I think I might have misunderstood the initial point I quoted. I thought it was a pop at the players for not being 'elite' but you were annoyed at the sport itself being placed with 'elite' sports. I think it's pretty impressive that the intercounty teams have got to the levels they have in terms of strength and conditioning considering it's amateur. Looking back at a match in the 80's it's like a different game and for me, has moved to an elite sport despite being held back by amateur status.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL have produced icons of sport....

Nobody apart from some Irish people give a fook about GAA sport....

Globally these U.S. sports are massive....

easy to be best in the world at sports that pretty much only you play.

I am not really debating this part, as my post shows.

I am more saying that NBA and NFL, for example are globally followed and supported and respected sports, that have produced countless global icons...

GAA is a one country select few people sport....outside this nobody gives a hoot...

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The population of the USA is approx 330M. The best of their athletes are truly world class professional sportsmen.

If you picked a small US state, say North Carolina population approx 6M, and only looked at amateur athletes in a particular sport there, then this is a fair comparison to make with the Irish GAA players.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

vriesmays wrote: »
    Donating to cancer research is a waste of money because no-one in Ireland will discover a cure.

Pointless donating to cancer research as its far to lucrative to keep selling the chemo drugs and they have no intention of curing cancer its a money spinner.
    My pal is having chemo every 2 weeks after each treatment she has to give herself an injection the following day and this injection is 800 euro a pop. So far she has spent 4,800 euro and she has still to get the lump removed and do radiation for a few months whole process 8/10 months of extracting money from the patient

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

There is a big shortage of heterosexuals in the world today where are they what has happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I get the global appeal of the US sports, but I have seen the "roster" of the American football team near me that compete in the Irish American Football League, and not one of the them would have played any sport before this fad came around. Going around talking like yanks (pronouncing it dee-fence as an example) and see themselves as later life "jocks", yet they never excelled in P.E when they were in school.

I have seen GAA lads play rugby in the off-season to keep the fitness levels up, and take to it like a duck to water-yet many rugby lads couldn't even solo a football correctly (which should be easier to do in theory). Have been at many local level soccer league matches and the fitness required is far inferior to the GAA equivalent too (which is why "Sunday league footballer" is such a common term)

What I suppose I am trying to say is that while GAA ranks lowest among the big sports in Ireland in terms of global participation, it definitely is the most difficult of those sports to master. Particularly at inter-county level, but even at grassroots level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Apologies if it has appeared earlier but GAA as an 'elite' sport. It is now packaged and presented as if it is the pinnacle of sorting achievement and this great amateur endeavour. It is only played in Ireland and where there are Irish abroad.

Because of its origins it is pushed forward as such an integral part of our history and therefore beyond criticism. Don't get me going either on the 'it's who we are' adverts.

If I had the option, All Ireland Final tickets or Liverpool v Man Utd, I'd be taking the beautiful game.

I reckon that's an unpopular opinion, or is it?

I'd agree with the elevation of the elite nature of GAA sports. It's the epitome of big fish in small pond. Undoubtedly a good proportion of its players are fit and skillful but to be elite, in GAA sports would be a low bar. Jerry Kieran makes some good points on this topic.

On a tangent, I hate the idea of county pride or the idea that certain counties produce better athletes/musicians/business men. You'd swear we were a sprawling landmass with vastly differing cultures. We are a very small island with largely homogeneous people...

There is a big shortage of heterosexuals in the world today where are they what has happened?

Not doing too bad when there are 80 million added to our global population each year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'd agree with the elevation of the elite nature of GAA sports. It's the epitome of big fish in small pond. Undoubtedly a good proportion of its players are fit and skillful but to be elite, in GAA sports would be a low bar. Jerry Kieran makes some good points on this topic.

On a tangent, I hate the idea of county pride or the idea that certain counties produce better athletes/musicians/business men. You'd swear we were a sprawling landmass with vastly differing cultures. We are a very small island with largely homogeneous people...

I can get as caught up in the county pride thing as the next man. It does help to be from the most scenic county in Ireland of course.
    Support the GAA lads and ladies every summer and so on.

But every so often the rational brain pipes up that the county borders are only lines on the map drawn by the English. Why do you care so much?

It's good crack and a bit of diversion from everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

There are two genders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Basketball is one of the most popular team sports in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Basketball is one of the most popular team sports in the world

Not to mention that the NBA only has 500-600 players. Which for a sport as popular as Basketball drives up the earning potential.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There are far too many dog breeds and so many of these have health and behavioral problems due to serious inbreeding. The number of breeds should be cut back drastically.

More and more people over-pamper and over-indulge their pets and it does these pets absolutely no favours. Treating your dog or cat as a “substitute child” and anthropormophisng these animals is misguided at best.

Poor mental health is no excuse for bad behaviour.

Domestic violence and abuse against men is seriously underreported and minimised by the powers that be.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    More and more people over-pamper and over-indulge their pets and it does these pets absolutely no favours. Treating your dog or cat as a “substitute child” and anthropormophisng these animals is misguided at best.

It's a symptom of growing up thinking you'd buy a house like your parents and have kids only to be able to afford a crappy apartment and a pet. It's happening worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dear Mr. President, there are too many states nowadays, please eliminate three.
    I am not a crackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Unless its 18, 21 or has a zero on the end, people over 13 years old should not insist or expect others to celebrate their birthday. Especially in the workplace. It is pointless and juvenile.

Unless its 18, 21 or has a zero on the end, prople over 13 years old should not insist or expect others to celebrate their birthday. Especially in the workplace. It is pointless and juvenile.

That goes for social media as well

Fook off, you're not bleedin' six you attention seeking twat!

"Cheers for the birthday wises, yiz are are all sound, Feeling the love......"

Go fook yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

And Gaelic football is played every minute of the poxy day. They finish one tournament and it’s another. Divisions after divisions after clubs and counties and inter counties snd juniors and on and. It’s the most ridiculously overplayed and oversaturated sport on earth...same heads playing each other at the same game non stop!

I dunno man. Why don't you change the channel or something.

• Advertisement

Unless its 18, 21 or has a zero on the end, people over 13 years old should not insist or expect others to celebrate their birthday. Especially in the workplace. It is pointless and juvenile.

The English are unreal for birthdays. It does my head in.

I personally and genuinely could not give a flying fcuk but Jesus here in England they just turn into fckuing kids. My wife is as bad as anyone.

I was pretty pissed off when our HR department basically make everyones birthday known to everyone else. Blatant breach of data protection but as it is a small family firm I just had to grin and bear it.

They have such a hard on for birthdays- workplace, in laws everything...:mad:

I get the global appeal of the US sports, but I have seen the "roster" of the American football team near me that compete in the Irish American Football League, and not one of the them would have played any sport before this fad came around. Going around talking like yanks (pronouncing it dee-fence as an example) and see themselves as later life "jocks", yet they never excelled in P.E when they were in school.

I have seen GAA lads play rugby in the off-season to keep the fitness levels up, and take to it like a duck to water-yet many rugby lads couldn't even solo a football correctly (which should be easier to do in theory). Have been at many local level soccer league matches and the fitness required is far inferior to the GAA equivalent too (which is why "Sunday league footballer" is such a common term)

What I suppose I am trying to say is that while GAA ranks lowest among the big sports in Ireland in terms of global participation, it definitely is the most difficult of those sports to master. Particularly at inter-county level, but even at grassroots level.

And I've seen inter county GAA players who although could run all day, "couldn't trap cement" when playing a junior soccer game.
    Also, in my opinion junior GAA players are no fitter than junior soccer players.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There are far too many dog breeds and so many of these have health and behavioral problems due to serious inbreeding. The number of breeds should be cut back drastically.

Poor mental health is no excuse for bad behaviour.

Domestic violence and abuse against men is seriously underreported and minimised by the powers that be.

From what I seen, it has gotten worse over the last few years. You'd swear that dogs were a 'new' thing but they have been used as pets for fecking millenia.

I genuinely feel that those 'extreme' dog owners who call their dogs 'fur babies', put 'dog-walker' as their official job title and who claim they don't need kids or a partner because they have a dog are completely unhinged. They wouldn't last five minutes if they had to babysit a three-year old, nevermind having to rear an actual human child.

Its mental.

And I've seen inter county GAA players who although could run all day, "couldn't trap cement" when playing a junior soccer game.
    Also, in my opinion junior GAA players are no fitter than junior soccer players.

A junior GAA player would more or less be the lowest rung of the ladder (depending on the size of the club). There wouldn't be as much emphasis, if any, on training and a lot of the team would either be coming to the end of their careers or not good enough to make the first-team anyway.

Meanwhile, a junior soccer player is still playing at the highest level they are ever going to reach in their career (more than likely) so by dint of that should be training more and fitter.

So it isn't a great look for the junior soccer player to be no fitter than the junior GAA player :D

I found that GAA heads were more focussed gym work/running 6000 laps of the pitch than working on ball skills. The bigger and more physical the better.

I remember playing GAA all up through underage and I was on every team and on teams several years ahead of my age group. A few lads went on to inter county and played AI finals. I was handy enough but guilted into playing up to u21 but to be honest my heart was not in it I much preferred playing soccer.

In the mid to late 90s when I stopped playing the GAA training was prehistoric with usually some aul lad who didnt have a clue. All I remember was the constant running drilles and laps of the pitch. You would swear we were marathon training.

Basically a 2 hour training session was 90mins of mindless running and then some 'backs and forwards' at the end when we were all shagged.

I then took up soccer and played intervasity up to Collingwood. Our training was the opposite- 30 mins HIIT to start (which was brutal) and then 90mins of pure ball play.

It was only then when I went back to my GAA club training I realised how retarded and backward the training was- constant pointless running. When we had the ball we treated it like a hot potato as we had so little ball training we were limited on what to do with it...and my club played senior county with several intercounty players.

A very good buddy of mine was a total GAA head. I pointed out to him that his idea of extra training consisted of...you guess it..more running and gym work. What about ball skills? It was all about getting bigger and stronger. It was not about outplaying the opposition but rather beating them up with strenght and power.

As I said that was in the 90s so perhaps the mentality has changed but then again my 20 year nephew plays now and the trainer had them running up a mountain road over Christmas last year...:confused:

I dunno man. Why don't you change the channel or something.

I do, duh

You hardly think I sit there watching and listening to the nonsense

I just made an observation on it, that's all.

A junior GAA player would more or less be the lowest rung of the ladder (depending on the size of the club). There wouldn't be as much emphasis, if any, on training and a lot of the team would either be coming to the end of their careers or not good enough to make the first-team anyway.

Meanwhile, a junior soccer player is still playing at the highest level they are ever going to reach in their career (more than likely) so by dint of that should be training more and fitter.

So it isn't a great look for the junior soccer player to be no fitter than the junior GAA player :D

First you are saying that the local soccer player is not as fit as his GAA equivalent, then you are saying that it looks bad if they are equal. :confused:

I think you'll find that a senior GAA player is fitter than a junior soccer player and a senior soccer player is fitter than a junior GAA player.

Also, there are plenty of GAA clubs where their first (and only) team operates at a Junior or Junior B level.

First you are saying that the local soccer player is not as fit as his GAA equivalent, then you are saying that it looks bad if they are equal. :confused:

I think you'll find that a senior GAA player is fitter than a junior soccer player and a senior soccer player is fitter than a junior GAA player.

Also, there are plenty of GAA clubs where their first (and only) team operates at a Junior or Junior B level.

I'm totally aware of that. Plenty of them in Wexford (where a good few would focus predominately on hurling). Doesn't take away from the fact that a senior soccer player allegedly being fitter than a junior GAA player isn't exactly something to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Those people (usually women in their 20s and 30s ) who draw comparissons between harry potter and real life events / political policies , who put their hogwarts house on their twitter / online dating profiles are absolute morons and really show how little grasp on reality they posess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Those people (usually women in their 20s and 30s ) who draw comparissons between harry potter and real life events / political policies , who put their hogwarts house on their twitter / online dating profiles are absolute morons and really show how little grasp on reality they posess.

that is exactly what someone from slytherin would say

Advertisement