Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

wiggle16 wrote: »
    I'm a civil servant. I am not like this and I have never worked with anyone like this. I worked in a teacher training college in a previous life, I know plenty of primary school teachers and I don't know anyone who does this. Idiotic assertion.

thats strange .
    it happens a lot. one teacher in secondry school when i was there was out on maternity leave for 4 years of the 6 i was there. at least she only taught one of the useless subjects so no loss really

i do work for a teacher and she has 3 kids and each time she has went back a just before the holidays . coincidence maybe. she also spends the summer corecting exams so gets more money for that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'm a civil servant. I am not like this and I have never worked with anyone like this. I worked in a teacher training college in a previous life, I know plenty of primary school teachers and I don't know anyone who does this. Idiotic assertion.

I know at least three teachers who openly admitted it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

thats strange .
    it happens a lot. one teacher in secondry school when i was there was out on maternity leave for 4 years of the 6 i was there. at least she only taught one of the useless subjects so no loss really

i do work for a teacher and she has 3 kids and each time she has went back a just before the holidays . coincidence maybe. she also spends the summer corecting exams so gets more money for that

Oh I won't say no one does it (and I had one teacher like this also) but the previous poster made a blanket assertion which is OTT. I don't know anyone who does this and I know a lot of teachers.

As far as being unionised, many of the people in my office are not members of the union, they see it as completely toothless since FEMPI. Poster is talking BS tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

The internet should be stripped of social media 100%, and then nationalised by each country and controlled by a (as close as can be) trusted authority.

beejee wrote: »
    The internet should be stripped of social media 100%, and then nationalised by each country and controlled by a (as close as can be) trusted authority.

Ah, good old censorship. If it worked in China...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'm teaching in a school at the moment and the female staff with kids openly discuss it. I have worked in this school fo the last 5 years, and one of the teachers has been popping out kids one after another, she's been out on maternity for almost 4 of those 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Yep none of you are like this. Unless you let your guard down and are talking to me in real life. Then you are all like this.
    Not just teachers. All public service staff. Even the porters in the hospitals watch each other to make sure nobody is moving anybody faster than they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Ah, good old censorship. If it worked in China...

Why is television regulated and not the internet?

Or radio?

Or newspapers?

Why is some speech in public deemed dangerous and even illegal, yet the internet is not?

When has there ever been a mass media platform that has been unregulated in history? Why?

Has the internet been seriously implicated in fake news and propaganda, to such an extent that it is changing democracy?

Have just about all internet companies been implicated in mass surveillance and illegal invasion of privacy?

Is it having a negative impact on children?

If all the above are true negatives, what are the positives? Watching cat videos?

Nope, its time for it to be regulated. And it will happen, one way or the other.

BDI wrote: »
    Yep none of you are like this. Unless you let your guard down and are talking to me in real life. Then you are all like this.
    Not just teachers. All public service staff. Even the porters in the hospitals watch each other to make sure nobody is moving anybody faster than they have to.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Start late, break at 10:30, hour lunch at 1 , break at 15:30 , out the door at 5 sharp.

Do nothing in between. Witnessed one lady knitting at her desk last week and one spending 45 mins looking for her lunchbox.

Public sector 2019

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Wiggle didn't say that "none" of them are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The one teacher I know engaged in this with her children and openly spoke of it. I've also heard of it being done by other teachers. I don't blame teachers doing it: if you leave an incentive open you can't expect canny people not to avail if it. However, to dismiss that this is practiced seems naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

"One person did this", "I heard that".

Come on...

Raconteuse wrote: »
    "One person did this", "I heard that".

Come on...

Right across the whole public service. If you get a job as a porter in a Dublin hospital and start moving people faster than the minimum required somebody will tell you to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Oh I won't say no one does it (and I had one teacher like this also) but the previous poster made a blanket assertion which is OTT. I don't know anyone who does this and I know a lot of teachers.

As far as being unionised, many of the people in my office are not members of the union, they see it as completely toothless since FEMPI. Poster is talking BS tbh.

thats ok. your previous post came across that you think it never happens.
    its obvious it happens a fair bit. why woldnt it. hat human behaviour. why wouldnt you time things to work in your favour.

a friend of mine from collage posted up on his facebook that his girlfriend just have a child. she is a teacher. child is a few weeks early . that would mean she would be back from paid maternity leave by april and may then off for a few months. convenient

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Lots of people don't realise just how inbred the locals usually are til its too late? Most people who move in come from places where it's not normal to know everyone in a place (and be probably related in some way to them).

Oh and the fact that the locals are usually provincial, small minded boring ba$tards (hence not moving away themselves) which doesn't help.

Culchies are really something special.

Its not unique to the rural areas. There are Dubs who get lost once they crosss O Connells Bridge. In some Dublin areas they know where the pub, bookies and chipper is. They very often marry or shack up with someone from the same estate or flat complex. They are as inbred and narrow minded as any one horse town in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Right across the whole public service. If you get a job as a porter in a Dublin hospital and start moving people faster than the minimum required somebody will tell you to slow down.
    I'd well believe it. I was working in a B&B and I was a very good worker, so good in fact that the other girl told me I was doing too much and I needed to slow down because she didn't want to have to do the rooms as fast as me! This was just in a crappy minimum wage job so I can definitely believe that people will put pressure on others to slow down in larger organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Unless they are physically or mentally unable to work, no one should receive welfare benefits for more than 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

what unpopular opinions do you hold on boards and in real life?

As a Dub, GAA has become incredibly boring ever since Dublin started dominating. It was fun when they won their fist title in the 2010's, but ever since then they hype has long diminsed in the city.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'd well believe it. I was working in a B&B and I was a very good worker, so good in fact that the other girl told me I was doing too much and I needed to slow down because she didn't want to have to do the rooms as fast as me! This was just in a crappy minimum wage job so I can definitely believe that people will put pressure on others to slow down in larger organisations.

I’d say that girl had family in the public sector. She wouldn’t have lasted long in that bnb anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Start late, break at 10:30, hour lunch at 1 , break at 15:30 , out the door at 5 sharp.

Do nothing in between. Witnessed one lady knitting at her desk last week and one spending 45 mins looking for her lunchbox.

Public sector 2019

Which Dept / Organisation?

Yamanoto wrote: »

Right across the board. There is a short fella with black hair and a little belly with a serious expression in every department. Watching that nobody moved too fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Like how could you possibly know this?

You seem to know what is happening in every public service job in Ireland. Really?

Like how could you possibly know this?

You seem to know what is happening in every public service job in Ireland. Really?

Right across the board.

Right across the board.

Bored of Sunday evening are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I’d say that girl had family in the public sector. She wouldn’t have lasted long in that bnb anyway.
    She was just lazy and wanted the hours but not the work. One day she just didn't show up and that was the end of her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Yamanoto wrote: »

The department of laziness and tea breaks

Bored of Sunday evening are we?

You can’t be mean to me for having an unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread.

Everybody says how hard nurses work. I never seen one work as hard as a lad mixing cement. Never even seen one rushing anywhere.

You know why?

Little fella with the black hair and the little belly. Serious expression on his face. The hassle of walking over to tell people to slow down is too much for him. He jokes about getting paid for sitting on the Jax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

You can’t be mean to me for having an unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread.

Everybody says how hard nurses work. I never seen one work as hard as a lad mixing cement. Never even seen one rushing anywhere.

You know why?

Little fella with the black hair and the little belly. Serious expression on his face. The hassle of walking over to tell people to slow down is too much for him. He jokes about getting paid for sitting on the Jax.

But how do you know unless you work there.

Wait a minute.

Are you this little black haired guy?

• Advertisement

But how do you know unless you work there.

Wait a minute.

Are you this little black haired guy?

I’m not on the gravy train I’m afraid. I am cursed to work in a company that needs to make a profit.

Advertisement