Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Football jersey should not be wore by a grown man EVER ,Unless of course they are actually playing football ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Football jersey should not be wore by a grown man EVER ,Unless of course they are actually playing football ,

But...but....THIS MEANS MORE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But...but....THIS MEANS MORE

More Beer guts in tight fitting jerseys....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Skinny jeans on men are a fooking abomination.....even on women they look a bit odd...but men, wtf are you at? You look absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Going around talking like yanks (pronouncing it dee-fence as an example)

Cringing alright.

Not an opinion, more of a fact. Calling all Americans "yanks" is inaccurate. "Yanks" refers to people from about 6-8 states. Everyone else is just American.

Would be like calling someone from Dublin a culchie or someone from Longford a jackeen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »
    Cringing alright.

Not an opinion, more of a fact. Calling all Americans "yanks" is inaccurate. "Yanks" refers to people from about 6-8 states. Everyone else is just American.

Would be like calling someone from Dublin a culchie or someone from Longford a jackeen.

I do like the way Americans seem to very properly pronounce some words

Opportunity and Tuesday and Youtube

As oppsed to us here and in other countries saying Opporchunity and Chooseday and Youchube....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

walshb wrote: »
    I do like the way Americans seem to very properly pronounce some words

Opportunity and Tuesday and Youtube

As oppsed to us here and in other countries saying Opporchunity and Chooseday and Youchube....

Bologna?

People who organise surprise birthday parties in the workplace are nowt but inconsiderate kernts - in the main - ; unless 'tis a very small workplace where everyone knows everyone and they all get along. Who da fk wants that embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

vriesmays wrote: »
    Psychology college courses are full of women who will contribute nothing new to the subject. Most of its major developments and ideas this century will get done by men.

Too long.

Psychology isn't a science; it's just a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On GAA football I dont find much of it to be a skillful sport. There is nothing all that skillful about hand passing the ball which is the main way it gets moved. Nothing skillful about hand passing it into the net either. And scoring goals is easy enough as the attacker has a massive advantage of having the ball in his hands and then launching a powerful full volley. All keepers can do is rush out to narrow the angle, if they cant make that then scoring goals is easy enough.

Hurling on the other hand is a much more skillful game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Muahahaha wrote: »
    On GAA football I dont find much of it to be a skillful sport. There is nothing all that skillful about hand passing the ball which is the main way it gets moved. Nothing skillful about hand passing it into the net either. And scoring goals is easy enough as the attacker has a massive advantage of having the ball in his hands and then launching a powerful full volley. All keepers can do is rush out to narrow the angle, if they cant make that then scoring goals is easy enough.

This is one of the single biggest myths in Ireland.

For all the talk hurling isn't as skillful as it's made out to be. Much more skill in scoring in general in football, more so from frees etc

The main tatic of hurling is get the ball in your half and hit it as long and hard as you can to the other end and hope someone from your team is there to pick up the brake.

People also use the fact scoring his higer in hurling. 1. A huge amount of scores in hurling nowadays come from placed balls. 2. A hurling game could have 40 plus scores and the hurling media will hype it to the last. But that came game could have 20 plus wides but nothing will be said about that side of it.

While the basic skills of hurling are harder to learn, once they have it's not all that hard. Played a bit of hurling myself and would be confident enough of scoreing from 30/40 yards out in hurling than in football.

Muahahaha wrote: »

Hand-passing into the net hasn't been allowed for decades now.

The fundamental principle of launching the ball as far as possible is very archaic in hurling alright but watching the top players flick the ball off their hurl into their hands or catching and striking on the turn over the bar from sixty metres out is amazing. Same goes for high fielding in football. Just look at the likes of Jack McCaffrey , Michael Murphy or David Clifford in action to see how beautiful it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

People above 21 y/o with pronouns in their twitter bio are absolute dopes.

The theme tune of Fresh Prince of Bel Air is the most over-rated song of all time. And I don't see anyone mentioning the show itself when reminicing.

In fact I think Will Smith is a terrible actor. Although he does a stern look fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There are far too many dog breeds and so many of these have health and behavioral problems due to serious inbreeding. The number of breeds should be cut back drastically.

More and more people over-pamper and over-indulge their pets and it does these pets absolutely no favours. Treating your dog or cat as a “substitute child” and anthropormophisng these animals is misguided at best.

Poor mental health is no excuse for bad behaviour.

Domestic violence and abuse against men is seriously underreported and minimised by the powers that be.

Reporting or attempting to highlight the issue of domestic violence against men is viewed as a political act today

Sad to say but soccer and basketball are more skilful than hurling.

All this craic about hurling being this mad skilful, fastest game in the world etc..

They should keep quiet about that.. If the yanks or brits or Aussies ever took it up I think those who make those skilful claims would be rumbled :pac:

For such a skilful game Ireland sure has produced a lot of legends

How many do they have in soccer; well George Best and Liam Brady make 2.

The numbers don't correlate with the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Too long.

Psychology isn't a science; it's just a hobby.

Even further. People who take english, anthropology, philosophy, psychology or social justice in college are doing it because they havent a clue and are only in college because its the ‘done thing’ these people waste the states money subsidising courses only to end up on the dole or working in a coffee shop after.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ash Williams he/it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davejones123

All this craic about hurling being this mad skilful, fastest game in the world etc..

They should keep quiet about that.. If the yanks or brits or Aussies ever took it up I think those who make those skilful claims would be rumbled :pac:

Basketball is the most discriminatory sport in the world and the skill level required for 95% of professional players is well below other less discriminatory sports where skill is the major requirement. The main requirement in order to excel at basketball is height. Average height for a man is 5ft9 to 5ft10 yet average height of an NBA player is 6ft7 and there are at any stage only about 2 or 3 players in the NBA at any one time who are of average height. If it was actually a skill based sport a such higher proportion of players of average height would make the grade like they do in soccer, tennis, golf, ice hockey, baseball, cricket etc.

There is 99 different skills in hurling,per the ned power coaching manual of the 60s and 70s

Quiet how lads can come out and claim basketball and soccer have more skills to learn is somewhat beyond me??

Idk why it isnt played to a higher level across the world,every other sport would die off in comparison to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I dunno if I disagree but your reasoning is a bit off.

:pac::pac::pac:

Yep, definitely an unpopular opinion :D

??? Not many average height blokes in basketball ???

How many skinny blokes in wrestling, 100 metre sprint - big burly blokes who are marathon champions?

A bad analogy

We'll have to disagree about the skill factor/s hurling v soccer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

If the BLM would act in a positive and constructive manner to highlight their plight.then no one would have as much of an issue.But for the most part it has been vandalism,looting,assaults,etc.And before anyone starts yes they have had a difficult history.But behaving in thug tactics is only setting themselves back even further.IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If the BLM would act in a positive and constructive manner to highlight their plight.then no one would have as much of an issue.But for the most part it has been vandalism,looting,assaults,etc.And before anyone starts yes they have had a difficult history.But behaving in thug tactics is only setting themselves back even further.IMO

Suppose it’s easy for you to say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Basketball is the most discriminatory sport in the world and the skill level required for 95% of professional players is well below other less discriminatory sports where skill is the major requirement. The main requirement in order to excel at basketball is height. Average height for a man is 5ft9 to 5ft10 yet average height of an NBA player is 6ft7 and there are at any stage only about 2 or 3 players in the NBA at any one time who are of average height. If it was actually a skill based sport a such higher proportion of players of average height would make the grade like they do in soccer, tennis, golf, ice hockey, baseball, cricket etc.

Being small and light is an advantage to being a jockey.

Why aren't there any/many 6 foot 7 inch Jockeys? Because it's completely impractical from every standpoint. Not discriminatory.

Why aren't there any 4 foot 11 inch second rows playing professional rugby? Again completely impractical as this is the way that the game has developed. Not discriminatory. The next Paul O'Connell won't be 5 foot 2

Height is a definite advantage in the game of basketball but the suggestion that it is somehow the sole requirement is ill informed. Height isn't the sole requirement of succeeding at elite level basketball. The same standards of skill, fitness apply as they do in other sports just that height is a definite advantage.

A lot of sports and games don't depend on height or build, rather having the requisite skill levels

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cms88 wrote: »
    This is one of the single biggest myths in Ireland.

For all the talk hurling isn't as skillful as it's made out to be. Much more skill in scoring in general in football, more so from frees etc

The main tatic of hurling is get the ball in your half and hit it as long and hard as you can to the other end and hope someone from your team is there to pick up the brake.

People also use the fact scoring his higer in hurling. 1. A huge amount of scores in hurling nowadays come from placed balls. 2. A hurling game could have 40 plus scores and the hurling media will hype it to the last. But that came game could have 20 plus wides but nothing will be said about that side of it.

While the basic skills of hurling are harder to learn, once they have it's not all that hard. Played a bit of hurling myself and would be confident enough of scoreing from 30/40 yards out in hurling than in football.

I think thats the crux of the difference in skill between the two games though so its not unimportant. Would say that with a bit of training most 12 year olds could run at full pelt while constantly soloing the ball. But running full pelt while balancing a sliotar on a hurl is inherently more difficult with it requiring more balance and manual dexterity. Many who try hurling give up because the learning curve is so steep whereas it isnt in football. Its probably a large part of the reason why we have just a handful of counties who are good at hurling and then a huge drop off to the rest.
    Hand-passing into the net hasn't been allowed for decades now.

Wrong words to use but isnt it still possible to use a closed fist from a pass off a team mate to put the ball into the net?

Scoring points from a hand pass isnt particularly difficult either and modern players can do it now at will from 20 yards out.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Gaelic football is just another version of basketball for most of the players, lads winning championship matches without actually kicking the ball on a single occasion. The forwards obviously have serious talent to be able to shoot accurately whilst being under serious physical pressure. Hurling requires a far greater talent level throughout the starting 15, incredibly talented hurlers playing corner and wing back for their county teams when they would be a srar forward with the club. Both games have their own traits but hurling will always be the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I love big healthy tits. They're amazing.

I've been called misogynistic for loving ample booby bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I actually like Nigel Farage. He has been able to reflect and vocalise what a large amount of the silent majority in the UK were talking about an increasingly more, if not publicly, for the last 20 years. Vilified by the media and the chattering classes and just labelled a racist.

I'm not that really that pro or anti EU myself, for context. Political parties of all types n the UK, left and right, officially tended towards the EU line.

I'll put on my tin hat now, to avoid the missiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

For the most part its been peaceful protests.

And when Colin Kaepernick acted in a positive manner he got nothing except abuse

Advertisement