Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've sort of accepted Ray Darcy and Ryan Tubridy now. I may not love them but when I relies that Eoghan McDermort is the future I don't think they are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I've sort of accepted Ray Darcy and Ryan Tubridy now. I may not love them but when I relies that Eoghan McDermort is the future I don't think they are the worst.

Have to agree with that, something I thought I'd never ever agree with to be honest. I think I plan to live a future life that doesn't include EM.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Have to agree with that, something I thought I'd never ever agree with to be honest. I think I plan to live a future life that doesn't include EM.

I recall a mod giving me a stern warning for calling for em’s execution, as if they were mates or something:)

As if I meant it

(I did)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

seanl77 wrote: »
    Gaelic football is just another version of basketball for most of the players, lads winning championship matches without actually kicking the ball on a single occasion. The forwards obviously have serious talent to be able to shoot accurately whilst being under serious physical pressure. Hurling requires a far greater talent level throughout the starting 15, incredibly talented hurlers playing corner and wing back for their county teams when they would be a srar forward with the club. Both games have their own traits but hurling will always be the best

yeah I think it has been reported that many GAA coaches have read and studied books about tactics and stategies from basketball coaching. Its not surprising really as there is many similarities, basketballers will move the ball up the court by forming small triangles and constantly over lapping each other and GAA players do the same. Its when it gets into the final third it gets more difficult and there is serious skill at getting the ball over the bar when in tight spaces and being double marked.
    I actually like Nigel Farage. He has been able to reflect and vocalise what a large amount of the silent majority in the UK were talking about an increasingly more, if not publicly, for the last 20 years. Vilified by the media and the chattering classes and just labelled a racist.

I'm not that really that pro or anti EU myself, for context. Political parties of all types n the UK, left and right, officially tended towards the EU line.

I'll put on my tin hat now, to avoid the missiles.

Ive a sneaking admiration for Farage too. Theres a great documentary of him out there which is well worth a watch, it covers him from way back in the 90s when everyone thought he was a fruit cake right up till the present day on seeing his lifes work coming to fruition with the Brexit vote. His plane crash on election day in 2010 was particularly funny and the way he waked away from it was typical Farage. He was flying in a micro light with a UKIP banner trailing after it as a publicity stunt for the TV cameras and news media invited. The wind changed and the banner got entangled in the propellor with the plane going into a nosedive all while being filmed live. Farage was lucky not be killed, he got out of the plane with broken ribs and a punctured lung and there he was trying to tell the media pack that it was just a minor hiccup.

Im not down with his politics but at the same time I dont believe him to be racist along the lines of Tommy Robinson and other kindred spirits. He walked away from UKIP when it was obvious the racists had taken over the party. I more see Farage as someone that recognises that there has been too much immigration and wages of the working classes are completely depressed because of it. Thats a fair enough position he holds IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I think it has been reported that many GAA coaches have read and studied books about tactics and stategies from basketball coaching. Its not surprising really as there is many similarities, basketballers will move the ball up the court by forming small triangles and constantly over lapping each other and GAA players do the same. Its when it gets into the final third it gets more difficult and there is serious skill at getting the ball over the bar when in tight spaces and being double marked.

Ive a sneaking admiration for Farage too. Theres a great documentary of him out there which is well worth a watch, it covers him from way back in the 90s when everyone thought he was a fruit cake right up till the present day on seeing his lifes work coming to fruition with the Brexit vote. His plane crash on election day in 2010 was particularly funny and the way he waked away from it was typical Farage, he had broken ribs and a punctured lung and there he was trying to tell the media pack that it was just a minor hiccup.

Im not down with his politics but at the same time I dont believe him to be racist along the lines of Tommy Robinson and other kindred spirits. He walked away from UKIP when it was obvious the racists had taken over the party. I more see Farage as someone that recognises that there has been too much immigration and wages of the working classes are completely depressed because of it. Thats a fair enough position he holds IMO

Farage had little to do with Brexit

• Advertisement

He had everything to do with it, it was Farage who put pressure on David Cameron to hold the referendum in the first place. Without his campaigning it would never have happened. David Cameron didnt want that referendum and nor did the Tory hierarchy in the 1922 Committee but they also knew if they didnt allow it then the Eurosceptic wing of the Tory party of around 80-90 MPs were going to leave in open revolt and likely join up with UKIP. Farage forced Cameroons hand, he was left with a choice of either holding the referendum or not holding it and instead watch the Tory party disintegrate and be blamed for the rise of UKIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Inheritance tax should be abolished.

If a man or woman works their hole off to amass property or wealth it is unjust that a slice is taken by the state when they leave it to their son, daughter or anyone else. They've already been taxed into oblivion when working to acquire that property or wealth.

Enough is enough. We need to crack down on travellers' crimes and antisocial behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's so Irish to accept the mundane and talentless without expecting more....

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Trump will win, and he will win big in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I actually like Nigel Farage. He has been able to reflect and vocalise what a large amount of the silent majority in the UK were talking about an increasingly more, if not publicly, for the last 20 years. Vilified by the media and the chattering classes and just labelled a racist.

I'm not that really that pro or anti EU myself, for context. Political parties of all types n the UK, left and right, officially tended towards the EU line.

I'll put on my tin hat now, to avoid the missiles.

Brexit had been an unmitigated disaster for the Brits. He sold it as an easy no hassle process, now over 4 years later it is still a complete mess. The Farages of this world never suffer from the problems they cause

If a man or woman works their hole off to amass property or wealth it is unjust that a slice is taken by the state when they leave it to their son, daughter or anyone else. They've already been taxed into oblivion when working to acquire that property or wealth.

eh thats been a popular opinion here recently.

Inheritance tax is pretty generous here, each child can inherit 330,000 euro tax free which means the vast majority of people never pay it because of the tax free allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

joe40 wrote: »
    Brexit had been an unmitigated disaster for the Brits.

Pure cope!
    Nothing has changed
    Uk is still here
    EU is still here
    The world keeps on turning

The left is in a tizzy
    everyone else is getting on with life
    COPE

da_miser wrote: »
    Pure cope!
    Nothing has changed
    Uk is still here
    EU is still here
    The world keeps on turning

The left is in a tizzy
    everyone else is getting on with life
    COPE
    Nothing has changed because Brexit hasn't happened yet.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    eh thats been a popular opinion here recently.

Inheritance tax is pretty generous here, each child can inherit 330,000 euro tax free which means the vast majority of people never pay it because of the tax free allowance.

It should still be zero % with no limit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

He's right...not much will change possibly a mild recession...Conservative's have 4 years to steady the ship before they face an election again, they'll win that considering the state of the opposition, what has been a disaster is open borders, identity politics....

They are different to us, they don't care about what other nations think of them, you have to admire it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

In the nitty gritty of it, correct , but in bringing brexit to the table, getting it over the line and being the face of brexit he was absolutely instrumental. You can hate the man but he became an MEP on a single issue, harped on about it for over a decade and engineered the entire pr strategy to get it over the line and get working class britain behind it. When we all think of brexit we think of farage, it was his baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Watching some world war 2 documentaries, seeing the destruction of cities throughout Europe, I think we as Irish(in the south) people overstate how unkind history has been to us. Imagine having that in your collective memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

It should still be zero % with no limit

Should also be the same when it comes to saving and investment products. 41% tax and anything you make on money you've already paid tax on!

Jan 31st was brexit day i taught??

• Advertisement

I hope not. It is just a slice. The last time I looked at my salary slip I do not see myself being taxed into oblivion either. The property owning 'haves' are still well ahead in the food chain when it comes to the 'have nots'.

If we carry on increasing the divide between both, we will end up with anarchy. Not for you, but likely for your children and grandchildren. We take for granted a lot of things that have to be provided by the State. They have to be funded somehow.

Look at America, if you want to have that clusterf*ck of a low tax system here.

Get ready for 2021 - UK Gov website.

The UK has left the EU and is now in a transition period, before new rules come into place from 1 January 2021. There will be new rules in many areas. For example, if you have a business, travel to Europe or sell your goods abroad.

Watching some world war 2 documentaries, seeing the destruction of cities throughout Europe, I think we as Irish(in the south) people overstate how unkind history has been to us. Imagine having that in your collective memory.

We get endless 'analysis' on Dev and Collins etc etc yawn yawn yawn. Each year, a new angle. I guess our academics and historians must try to keep it all relevant, they after all like us have to put food on the table.

Slightly off topic, I suppose FF will have their annual Bodenstown ceremony this year, where some of them even dress up in those funny hats. FG have the Béal na mBláth Annual Commemoration. It would be great if just for once social distance concerns mean both are cancelled, and then just quietly forgotten.

They're in the transition phase now. Everything is the same as when they were full members.
    Actual Brexit will kick in in 2021 unless transition period is extended. The UK are adamant an extension won't be requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

It's a moveable feast. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

The way cinemas now ask you where you want to sit. It makes going to the cinema with a group of friends awkward.

Priority seating should just be for those who are disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dublin after the 1916 Rising:

image.jpg

And the burning of Cork city by the British army in 1920:

firescene.jpg?fit=1500%2C1140&ssl=1

There are many more pictures out there of the destruction that Ireland endured under British rule ................ less we forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Irish People pretending to give a fook about the past....

Stuff that happened 100 years ago...fair enough, think of it and remember it, but stop pretending it means any deal whatsoever to you and your 21st century life...

And please, quit the 800 years bullsh1t!

Still at number 1 in the hierarchy of victimhood are those religious ethnics; even though that was 75+ yrs ago scarcely a negative word of them is tolerated nowadays. Who are they anyway? Have they a homeland or something they were dispersed from? Because I don't think Hitler ventured to the Holy Land, and if he did how many of them saw the chambers there?

The Blacks and the LGBTs might be in the top three but they'll never hit the number 1 spot. A great pr team and virtual control of media/finance helps :rolleyes:

The Irish suffered more per capita 100 years previous, but the reasons for that are not covered in the history books. Nothing about an Irish genocide there. 4 million didn't die or leave because the potato crop failed. John Bull stole all the other crops at gunpoint.

The Irish are way more deserving of our own ethnostate, because, we're Irish - no ambiguity about our heritage or homeland. Yet any Johnny foreigner can rock up, and he's pretty much here to stay. How accommodating are the Israelites? Plus, how does one Country; and not a hugely populated one at that get so many mentions in the news over one thing or another?

Yet there are still those who would scoff at the Irish suffering, who are Irish themselves; yet yell anti-Semitism at any spurious opportunity :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Kivaro wrote: »
    Dublin after the 1916 Rising:

image.jpg

And the burning of Cork city by the British army in 1920:

firescene.jpg?fit=1500%2C1140&ssl=1

There are many more pictures out there of the destruction that Ireland endured under British rule ................ less we forget.

Burning of Ballbriggan another one

Advertisement