Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Just on a technical point re this thread:

If several people "Like" your unpopular opinion, does that mean that it is in fact a popular opinion and therefore one that could result in an infraction for being off topic?

I think we should be told.

Personally, I'm feeling pretty safe after being told that I am "in dire need of medical intervention, or a pervert on a level unheard of hitherto."

Now THAT'S unpopular!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well you did say that you find Gemma oDoherty sexy meaning you want to stick it in crazy so medical intervention being needed is probably accurate :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There’s nothing more patriotic to the ideals of freedom than burning your flag.

Tragically the only reason fewer people don’t is because of violent nationalists who will physically attack you for doing so. Their reasons for tyrannizing people exercising their rights, ironically, is usually “to defend freedom” or some such clap.

Even the very same man who went to SCOTUS twice to have his right to burn a flag affirmed and reaffirmed recently as last year iirc was assaulted by folks when he exercised his constitutional right in front of the White House. The cops even thought to arrest him on trumped up charges only to let him go, halving done nothing wrong.

Recently a troll on Facebook convinced scores of nationalists and biker gangs that there would be a mass flag burning event, to which they descended upon armed and ready for warfare, only to find no such event being held.

These people love freedom so much except when anyone actually exercises it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Irish are way more deserving of our own ethnostate, because, we're Irish - no ambiguity about our heritage or homeland.

It might be an unpopular opinion I am about to post.
    I disagree completely with the part above. Firstly there is no such thing as an Irish race. We are mongrels a mixture of Celts - Vikings - Normans - Anglo-Irish - Planters. Only 70k people speak the Irish language as a language of communication. No Brits to blame for that for the last 100 years.

If there ever was a nation with ambiguity about it's heritage it is Ireland. Proud of a language most are afraid/unwilling to speak. Identifying with large portions of British culture - Sport, Music, entertainment. Yet supposedly hating the Brits!
    Irish people today have much more in common with Britain than they care to admit.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Just on a technical point re this thread:

If several people "Like" your unpopular opinion, does that mean that it is in fact a popular opinion and therefore one that could result in an infraction for being off topic?

I think we should be told.

Personally, I'm feeling pretty safe after being told that I am "in dire need of medical intervention, or a pervert on a level unheard of hitherto."

Now THAT'S unpopular!!!

Yeah I thought about this as well is the cut off 5 likes or 10 likes. Or is it because the majority in this thread tend to be contrary anyway? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

I disagree completely with the part above. Firstly there is no such thing as an Irish race. We are mongrels a mixture of Celts - Vikings - Normans - Anglo-Irish - Planters. Only 70k people speak the Irish language as a language of communication. No Brits to blame for that for the last 100 years.

If there ever was a nation with ambiguity about it's heritage it is Ireland. Proud of a language most are afraid/unwilling to speak. Identifying with large portions of British culture - Sport, Music, entertainment. Yet supposedly hating the Brits!
    Irish people today have much more in common with Britain than they care to admit.

Agree. The following English teams etc is the easliest one to point out but there are others.

Barry Cowan has been grossly maligned in the media for a "misdemeanour" for which he has already been punished.

And most of the commentary refers to a misunderstanding of what he was actually punished for.

Like that, ya bastards!! Dare ya!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I could stand corrected on the actual history but my understanding is the current Irish population are largely descended from people who were here for thousands of years since Neolithic times.
    There was trade and sharing ideas with Celtic people and probably intermarriage etc but I don't think it was a widespread displacement. Same with vikings, Norman's etc.

We are no more "mongrel" than any other country.

I agree with our weird relationship with the UK, but I do think Ireland has a strong sense of national identity. This can be hard to define but I feel it exists.
    Could question though, what exactly does it mean to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

joe40 wrote: »
    I could stand corrected on the actual history but my understanding is the current Irish population are largely descended from people who were here for thousands of years since Neolithic times.
    There was trade and sharing ideas with Celtic people and probably intermarriage etc but I don't think it was a widespread displacement. Same with vikings, Norman's etc.

We are no more "mongrel" than any other country.

I agree with our weird relationship with the UK, but I do think Ireland has a strong sense of national identity. This can be hard to define but I feel it exists.

It all nonsense to be fair, Absolute pot luck where your born ,
    To be proud of something you had absolute no hand in is silly,

There folks who lived next door to me for years that I have absolutely zero in common with except we are both born here so both Irish ,

Ireland like every other country has nice people and arseholes I don't see much to have sense of national pride in ,
    For instance some fella from the other side of the country might have done something great a few years back but in reality its got f*ck all to do with me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

• Butter is rank. I hate the stuff.
    • Sinn Féin are less likely to achieve a United Ireland than any other party.
    • There are much, much, much less "homeless" than some people are letting on. You should only get one refusal of state-subsidised housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Frozen 2 is crap.

Olaf must be the most vacuous annoying Disney sidekick ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Burning of Ballbriggan another one

Plenty of small towns were burned. Tuam, Trim and a lot of others.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    On GAA football I dont find much of it to be a skillful sport. There is nothing all that skillful about hand passing the ball which is the main way it gets moved. Nothing skillful about hand passing it into the net either. And scoring goals is easy enough as the attacker has a massive advantage of having the ball in his hands and then launching a powerful full volley. All keepers can do is rush out to narrow the angle, if they cant make that then scoring goals is easy enough.

Hurling on the other hand is a much more skillful game.

Good thing that was banned decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

The world has become more racist entirely because people won't stop talking about racism.

joe40 wrote: »

I asked this over on the Irish Unification thread how would people define Irishness or even thier Irishness. No real answer it seems to be very intangible.
    On GAA football I dont find much of it to be a skillful sport. There is nothing all that skillful about hand passing the ball which is the main way it gets moved. Nothing skillful about hand passing it into the net either. And scoring goals is easy enough as the attacker has a massive advantage of having the ball in his hands and then launching a powerful full volley. All keepers can do is rush out to narrow the angle, if they cant make that then scoring goals is easy enough.

Hurling on the other hand is a much more skillful game.

This reminds me of an unpopular hurling related opinion I have.

I have seen plenty of bad games of hurling!

oyvey wrote: »
    The world has become more racist entirely because people won't stop talking about racism.

Anyone who says anti racism campaigns made them more racist was probably a hateful bigot already.

It's like saying fire safety campaigns made you an arsonist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Some people are better off on prescription drugs/illegal drugs long term. I believe that just like some are born physically healthy and physically unhealthy, some are also born mentally unhealthy and because of a poor mental health service, need to turn to street drugs to feel normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

Anyone who says anti racism campaigns made them more racist was probably a hateful bigot already.

Completely missed the point here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Nah, it's like this.

Ordinary person (not some twitter person, imagine should middle age relative of yours) is not a racist in any way. Has heard or read about (say) Katie Hospkins being racist and inflammatory. Doesn't like the sound of it, so obviously keeps away and trusts the media.

Later news story appears (say) about a "It's ok to be white" poster appearing the town. People are outraged, police looking into it and quotes full in the paper calling it "racist". Now your relative will be a bit confused, of course it's ok to be white they'll think... Then they'll start to think they called that Katie woman racist, like this, I wonder what else she's sayin...

Well you did say that you find Gemma oDoherty sexy meaning you want to stick it in crazy so medical intervention being needed is probably accurate :p

Oh come on. Any woman who holds views, however bonkers they may be-and they are!!, as passionately as she does is bound to be a TIGER in the sack!!

ROARR!!!!!

Seriously? You haven't thought about it? :D:D

(OK Maybe it's the lock down):o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The internet causing a lot of weak minded people to meet up and unionise

Most people experiencing racism and abuse are getting it online

The exception being Oconnell st Dublin that’s actual racism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I am against racism. I feel there is an irony in the Black Lives Matter movement saying black people are targeted by police unfairly (which I agree with) which was approximately 1000 people killed last year, yet approximately 80 people were shot/15 killed in Chicago in one weekend.

Is a person's life more important if they are killed by a member of the US police rather than a civilian?

timple23 wrote: »
    Is a person's life more important if they are killed by a member of the US police rather than a civilian?

No....but the punishment for killing a police officer is usually higher than killing a civilian......which imo is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

No....but the punishment for killing a police officer is usually higher than killing a civilian......which imo is wrong

True and the punishment for a police officer killing an innocent civilian seems less.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-muder-garda-killers-both-jailed-for-40-years-34323013.html

"Ireland had abolished capital punishment for 'ordinary' murders in 1964, but the murder of a garda in the course of his duty remained a capital offence.

Capital punishment was struck from the statute book for all offences in Ireland in 1990."

Personally I would like to see capital punishment brought back (for every murder) - not sure if it is an unpopular opinion?
    I mean they might get the odd one wrong in the justice system, but more often than not they get the right person.

I would go even further bring back public hanging in somewhere like college green. A proper deterrent. Society has gone way too namby-pamby and soft meanwhile the criminals get more brazen/violent year on year.

Added benefit: anyone who witnesses a public hanging who is feeling a 'little bit down' in (lay mental health parlance) would get a good shock to the system and realise things could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There's a reason for that,

Its because Police are far more likely to be involved in situations with people who are armed and willing to kill ,

So if the punishment is more serve for killing a police man the person causing trouble is more likely to surrender when the police arrive

If this even has the slightest effect and only 1 out of 10 surrender when the police arrive its worth it ,

Also disagree with the accessory to murder charge....your should only be responsible for your own actions

This makes no sense because the person who committed the murder could be egged on or inspired by another.
    If we followed your logic Jim Jones Cult leader of the Jonestown massacre is guilt free.

It is all about having 'mens rea' the knowledge of the wrong of a crime. And an individual showsintent to encourage or assist an individual(s) in crime.

This makes no sense because the person who committed the murder could be egged on or inspired by another

You are only responsible for your own actions in this life

Noone is an unthinking drone,doing what others ask/tell em to do,unquestioned

Makes no sense to me,to carry the can for someone elses actions

You are only responsible for your own actions in this life

Noone is an unthinking drone,doing what others ask/tell em to do,unquestioned

Makes no sense to me,to carry the can for someone elses actions

In cases yes they are as they are manipulated by another to commit such crimes see Jonestown massacre.
    Which individuals would otherwise not have committed.

Also sometimes people only need a bit of encouragement from another to commit a crime. For example the Heinrich Himmler was a key archetect in solving the Jewish question. Yet he never actually killed a Jew he just put the plans and structure in place.

• Advertisement

In cases yes they are as they are manipulated by another to commit such crimes see Jonestown massacre.
    Which individuals would otherwise not have committed.

Also sometimes people only need a bit of encouragement from another to commit a crime. For example the Heinrich Himmler was a key archetect in solving the Jewish question. Yet he never actually killed a Jew he just put the plans and structure in place.

Yes.....but imo,noone should carry can for someone elses actions

Those who do with a little encouragement,were gonna do it eventually anyway

I seen one time on one those death row tv programme (grim),one lad out of a group of 5 prision escapees killed a police officer,all 5 got death penalty,to me,who isnt complelty againest death penalty....that is wrong,5 men sent down for the actions of 1

Advertisement