Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

In cases yes they are as they are manipulated by another to commit such crimes see Jonestown massacre.
    Which individuals would otherwise not have committed.

Also sometimes people only need a bit of encouragement from another to commit a crime. For example the Heinrich Himmler was a key archetect in solving the Jewish question. Yet he never actually killed a Jew he just put the plans and structure in place.

That is the "Nuremberg Defence" tried by the Nazis.

"Sure we were only following orders from the State which was an internationally recognised State. Sure we were only doing our jobs and can't be guilty if we were obeying German law."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Hoop66

It might be an unpopular opinion I am about to post.
    I disagree completely with the part above. Firstly there is no such thing as an Irish race. We are mongrels a mixture of Celts - Vikings - Normans - Anglo-Irish - Planters. Only 70k people speak the Irish language as a language of communication. No Brits to blame for that for the last 100 years.

If there ever was a nation with ambiguity about it's heritage it is Ireland. Proud of a language most are afraid/unwilling to speak. Identifying with large portions of British culture - Sport, Music, entertainment. Yet supposedly hating the Brits!
    Irish people today have much more in common with Britain than they care to admit.

I would hope you would disagree completely with the whole post. A disgusting anti-semitic rant. I have reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Worst thing about lockdown easing restrictions: incessant GAA sh1te swamping us!

Hoop66 wrote: »
    I would hope you would disagree completely with the whole post. A disgusting anti-semitic rant. I have reported.

Is it untrue? Why report this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

walshb wrote: »
    Is it untrue? Why report this?

people come on here to a thread clearly entitled Unpopular opinions, then complain about the unpopular opinions in an unpopular opinions thread.

you could not make this up....
    how the post was anti semitic is anyone's guess

• Advertisement

Worst thing about lockdown easing restrictions: incessant GAA sh1te swamping us!
    Rugby hot on its heels, followed by Soccer.

Rugby hot on its heels, followed by Soccer.

Indeedio!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-muder-garda-killers-both-jailed-for-40-years-34323013.html

"Ireland had abolished capital punishment for 'ordinary' murders in 1964, but the murder of a garda in the course of his duty remained a capital offence.

Capital punishment was struck from the statute book for all offences in Ireland in 1990."

Personally I would like to see capital punishment brought back (for every murder) - not sure if it is an unpopular opinion?
    I mean they might get the odd one wrong in the justice system, but more often than not they get the right person.

I would go even further bring back public hanging in somewhere like college green. A proper deterrent. Society has gone way too namby-pamby and soft meanwhile the criminals get more brazen/violent year on year.

Added benefit: anyone who witnesses a public hanging who is feeling a 'little bit down' in (lay mental health parlance) would get a good shock to the system and realise things could be worse.

A return to the 18th century, then so. I think this would definitely qualify as an unpopular opinion.

Public hangings in Dublin, you must be having a laugh...

Ireland and Jack Charlton.

What a loada fooking overrated hyped mediocrity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

This wins the thread for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I think we'd happily take some of that "mediocrity" again, rather than the muck we've been subjected to with the Irish football team in the last 20 years!

My unpopular opinion: Boxing has gone to complete sh!te in recent years. Look at the heavyweights... now that's overhyped mediocrity!! Any of the top 10 heavyweights of the 90's would have ran straight through the top guys of this era, with ease! Fury is a fat slob, who would have got his head taken off inside the 1st round by a prime Mike Tyson or plenty of other top guys of that era!

I think MMA should replace Boxing at the Olympics... And if the standard in Boxing continues slide, I could certainly see it happen in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @EmmetSpiceland - threadban lifted.

I think we'd happily take some of that "mediocrity" again, rather than the muck we've been subjected to with the Irish football team in the last 20 years!

My unpopular opinion: Boxing has gone to complete sh!te in recent years. Look at the heavyweights... now that's overhyped mediocrity!! Any of the top 10 heavyweights of the 90's would have ran straight through the top guys of this era, with ease! Fury is a fat slob, who would have got his head taken off inside the 1st round by a prime Mike Tyson or plenty of other top guys of that era!

I think MMA should replace Boxing at the Olympics... And if the standard in Boxing continues slide, I could certainly see it happen in the future!

Boxing has gone to ****....

An more so for the posturing and fobbing and refusing the make fights....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Less government although difficult at first would ultimately lead to greater happiness among people. The strive to let the government blanket us and look after every part of our life is ultimately removing us further from the survival priorities of our ancestors and instead causing us to refocus our priorities on useless nonsense as well as to become more susceptible to brainwashing and mob/media rule. Government intervention in the economy has also proven time and time again to be disastrous.

I was formerly an advocate of Keynesian policies but as I see society become more conflicted on ridiculous topics, the way in which Europe, Ireland, and the US have handled economic crashes, and with a huge upsurge in borderline communist ideologies in universities, I now firmly believe that the only solution and path to happiness for all is handing responsibilities, rights, and the economy back to the free market and individual people, and for us as a society to move away from extreme technological advancement.

TLDR: Ted Kaczynski was not wrong with the core concept of his believes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

When people can't afford rent they get subsidised from welfare.

Keeping salaries low means more people need welfare to get by.

The state buys, rents and leases from private companies.
    By way of welfare the state are the client/customer for many of these private landlords and build to rent merchants.

Fine Gael need a massive welfare spend and are okay with a housing crisis so private concerns can profit from paying low wages and their property investments. Leaving the tax payer both struggling and footing the bill.

The housing crisis makes money for private concerns and welfare is used to pay for those profits made off the crisis.

Eamo Ryan complained about the practice of leasing pre coalition, as did Fianna Fail. Let's see what happens...........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bowie wrote: »
    When people can't afford rent they get subsidised from welfare.

Keeping salaries low means more people need welfare to get by.

The state buys, rents and leases from private companies.
    By way of welfare the state are the client/customer for many of these private landlords and build to rent merchants.

Fine Gael need a massive welfare spend and are okay with a housing crisis so private concerns can profit from paying low wages and their property investments. Leaving the tax payer both struggling and footing the bill.

The housing crisis makes money for private concerns and welfare is used to pay for those profits made off the crisis.

Eamo Ryan complained about the practice of leasing pre coalition, as did Fianna Fail. Let's see what happens...........

somewhat counterpoint and likely unpopular opinion, consumer demand for accessibility to services, products and experiences is what keeps salaries low. paying 15 euro an hour to fast food and deli workers would push the price of a meal up beyond many of those same workers. The cost of consumer goods and travel etc.. would be pushed up and create an even larger divide.

Our multi tiered society has created a world where things like air travel, cars, restaurants, hotels, gyms, pubs, theatres, furniture, consumer electronics, broadband etc.. are all accessible to almost every tier of society.

Many people remember the 'jet set' days where air travel was for the wealthy, people rented the television in their homes, eating in restaurants was for very special occasions , hotels were somewhere you stayed once a year, people honeymooned in the west of Ireland, you brought a pre packed lunch to work and many people didn't have a phone, children went hungry and you financed buying a fridge through the esb shop. That said many of the jobs in those sectors were well paid pensionable jobs and decent pay for the work.

Low paid workers domestically and abroad have facilitated the ability for almost all facets of society to have access to the same things just at differing quality levels. The shelbourne and travel lodge both have a place, the iPhone and a cheap Nokia both have a place , Ikea and arnotts furniture both have a place, mcdonalds and shanahans on the green both have a place, Aldi and donnybrook fair both have a place. Taking Etihad to Dubai and taking Ryanair to Benidorm both have a place.

Fixing the income issue would make society much more polar again with the wealthy having access to everything, the poor having little access to many things and those cheaper options struggling to survive. This in turn would either require general welfare to be brought up and misdirected incorrectly or the return of children going hungry, no ability to get jobs outside the local area due to the lack of a car and even further locked out of educational resources like broadband etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mrsherself

Replying to the Saoirse Ronan thing from a few posts back:

My unpopular opinion is that people tend to repeat things they've heard as truth and fact over and over just because they heard it from someone else.

I've heard the same thing about Saoirse time and again - that her accent is "fake". There is audio recordings of her as a child on the Graham Norton Show and she has the EXACT SAME ACCENT. She hasn't made it up for Hollywood! Stop repeating things you've heard, sheep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mrsherself

Also re the pronunciation of Saoirse...

The letter combination AOI in Irish is pronounced "ee". Almost without exception.

PortlAOIse
    Dun LAOIghaire
    CAOImhe
    AOIfe

ALL of those it's pronounced "ee".

Saoirse is pronounced seersha. It doesn't rhyme with inertia.

Is múinteoir Gaeilge mé.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

How about...

I go out on a paddle board at 9pm tonight, and end up putting the rescue services in danger as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭growleaves

Lots of sinister developments in international politics labelled 'conspiracy theories' are verifiably true (ie not theories)* and the reason most people don't want to hear about it or do anything is general cowardice - they don't have the heart to stand up the powerful or the desire for mental independence.

* Such as the World Economic Forum' s 'Great Reset' which is neither theoretical nor denied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

mrsherself wrote: »
    Also re the pronunciation of Saoirse...

The letter combination AOI in Irish is pronounced "ee". Almost without exception.

PortlAOIse
    Dun LAOIghaire
    CAOImhe
    AOIfe

ALL of those it's pronounced "ee".

Saoirse is pronounced seersha. It doesn't rhyme with inertia.

Is múinteoir Gaeilge mé.

Saor = free
    Saoirse = freedom

Say-er/ say-er-sha

kinda sounds like inertia

My unpopular opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Harry potter is a load of twee shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Saor = free
    Saoirse = freedom

Say-er/ say-er-sha

kinda sounds like inertia

My unpopular opinion!

I think you missed the fact there is an extra 'i' in there. That changes everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Pronouncing Saoirse.

523023.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Mad Max Fury Road is absolutely dire. Even worse than the one with Tina Turner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Mad Max Fury Road is absolutely dire. Even worse than the one with Tina Turner.

It's because they gave the women more prominent roles which nobody believes especially other women

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Homophobia and bigotry in general is actually bad and the people who defend or excuse it both know what they're doing and are just as bad. A very unpopular opinion around these parts, it seems, but I won't let the mob stop me from expressing it.

Trying to hide your homophobia behind "b-b-but he's a pedofile!!!" is cowardly and moronic. No one with a working brain is fooled by that any more. At least have the honesty to come out and just say you hate gay people.

If conspiracy theories were true, how the hell would the brainless wonders have them figured out? If officials at the highest levels of governments are able to coordinate some grand conspiracy, how have the loonies managed to unravel it? It just doesn't make sense and the people who believe them need to be ridiculed at every turnabout.

Oh and people who unironically use the term "virtue signalling" need to be kept under adult supervision whenever they go outside their homes. Yes, dear, it's impossible that anyone actually cares about anything, they're all just "virtue signalling". Give me strength...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I don’t think the Failte Ireland bloke should have resigned....it’s on the green list and there is no advice against going(or self-isolating on return )....also reported he was going on two stay staycations as well....if I had his money I’d have done the same thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

99nsr125 wrote: »
    It's because they gave the women more prominent roles which nobody believes especially other women

I asked my nephew was it any good and said it’s just a load a people driving in a straight line and then turning right after a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

ebbsy wrote: »
    How about...

I go out on a paddle board at 9pm tonight, and end up putting the rescue services in danger as well ?
    It's bright at 9pm in Galway.
    They were young people having responsible fun with lifejackets on.
    It was an extraordinary turn of events.
    Your statement is akin to stating anyone enjoying water is putting rescue services at risk, same as anyone driving is putting ambulance services at risk.

Advertisement