Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I don’t think the Failte Ireland bloke should have resigned....it’s on the green list and there is no advice against going(or self-isolating on return )....also reported he was going on two stay staycations as well....if I had his money I’d have done the same thing....
    There is advice against going.
    He had an obvious sense of entitlement and part of his job is to be seen to be supporting the concept of staycationing.
    Further, it is not "his money". It is "our" money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Andrea B. wrote: »
    He had an obvious sense of entitlement and part of his job is to be seen to be supporting the concept of staycationing.

He is reported to be taking two staycations....and travel to the “green-list” countries is exempt from the advice against non-essential travel,as per the DFA website

He is reported to be taking two staycations....and travel to the “green-list” countries is exempt from the advice against non-essential travel,as per the DFA website
    The advice is not to travel if not necessary.
    He wasn't going for dental treatment.

His two staycations on "our money" add insult to injury. 3 holidays!

If you read the advice on the DFA website...it says that general advice is against non-essential travel but that “green-list countries “ are exempt from that advice
    In any case he’d spend more of his/your/our money on his two staycations than in Italy...
    I don’t condone what he did coz it looks bad and many people have suffered big losses for forgoing their summer holidays in these times,but technically I don’t think he did anything wrong...if he was an elected politician (in this country)there’s no way he’d have resigned

• Advertisement

If you read the advice on the DFA website...it says that general advice is against non-essential travel but that “green-list countries “ are exempt from that advice
    In any case he’d spend more of his/your/our money on his two staycations than in Italy...
    I don’t condone what he did coz it looks bad and many people have suffered big losses for forgoing their summer holidays in these times,but technically I don’t think he did anything wrong...if he was an elected politician (in this country)there’s no way he’d have resigned
    In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas.

dfa.ie

In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas.

dfa.ie

Second next sentence...”travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice“
    dfa.ie

Second next sentence...”travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice“
    dfa.ie
    Agreed. I will limit my argument to him being thick as **** and not deserving of my money, but yet having that slight of cop on to resign before being fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

agreed. he's obviously entitled to his holidays from work same as some/most of us are. I'm assuming he'll be self isolating on return so I dont understand the storm in a tea cup? Italy is on the green list which means the government is saying its ok. In all fairness the airlines need the custom.

WTF is the big deal? hes a private citizen ok in a public facing job but when hes on holidays hes not working, who are we to scrutinize where he goes? on top of that he's taking 2 staycations, best of luck if I'm honest i wish i could afford 3 holidays this year :)

honestly I cant begrudge him that.

I see your respective points.
    He was disrspectful to me, the taxpayer".
    My argument was relative to the context of his position and the advocacy and expectations of integrity that go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭trashcan

SC024 wrote: »
    agreed. he's obviously entitled to his holidays from work same as some/most of us are. I'm assuming he'll be self isolating on return so I dont understand the storm in a tea cup? Italy is on the green list which means the government is saying its ok. In all fairness the airlines need the custom.

WTF is the big deal? hes a private citizen ok in a public facing job but when hes on holidays hes not working, who are we to scrutinize where he goes? on top of that he's taking 2 staycations, best of luck if I'm honest i wish i could afford 3 holidays this year :)

honestly I cant begrudge him that.

He's head of a public body who are campaigning for people to holiday in Ireland, in the context of current medical advice. That's the issue, and why it was right that he should resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

It's not our money tho. He is employed by failte ireland, once he is renumerated for that job it becomes his money no longer taxpayers, What you are saying is the same thing as saying you collect your wages on a friday but there not really yours they belong to your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Young folks(18-35) today are delicate flowers, well not all but certainly a sizable portion...

All we are hearing about is the stress/depression & anexity of being locked down...

We are a species seem it seems are developing anxiety at the drop of hat, because we have typically sheltered lives and the minute something changes that we don't like...Bang Anxiety...

We don't know how good we have it...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Young folks(18-35) today are delicate flowers, well not all but certainly a sizable portion...

All we are hearing about is the stress/depression & anexity of being locked down...

We are a species seem it seems are developing anxiety at the drop of hat, because we have typically sheltered lives and the minute something changes that we don't like...Bang Anxiety...

We don't know how good we have it...

I'v always wondered is the new way off dealing with things actually better or worse ?

I don't want to be insensitive as I'm not an expert and wont claim to be but the amount of people I now hear say "my Anxiety " or get down over the smallest of things , Is that not just LIFE for everyone ?

Isn't life suppose to be hard ? aren't there suppose to be ups and downs aren't there times when things are suppose to get **** and hard for people ,

Have we made suicide and mental help almost to acceptable in our culture now ? is it now an acceptable option to end it ?

A friends younger brother struggles at school and he said if I kill myself everyone will come to my funeral and all remember me and talk good about me, ( he got help and is ok now)

Have we pushed the boat out to far ?

Again I'm not trying to be insensitive Iv no idea as I'm not a expert but its a question that is probably unpopular .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Red Bull does not give you wings. Nor does it taste nice and it is overpriced in little cans. Does not really help performance in extreme sports, but such branding does trick panicky students studying for exams.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Mental health is too prominently featured on social media.

We've dragged it from one extreme to the other. 20 years ago we never spoke about and now we can't get away from it.

There are influencers on Instagram who have made themselves famous by talking about their "battle" with anxiety,"battle" with poor body image,"battle" with that.
    It has become a profitable an industry as any and you would be making a coin for yourself as a public figure to speak about your mental health.

There are groups on Facebook for anxiety and people are borderline hysterical posting about their symptoms every day.

I honestly don't think anti-racism movements work, now it has just become branding to feel nice and sound good. It sounds nice. In a way it causes divisiveness which is the exact opposite what they wish to achieve. People competing over who shouts the loudest to be seeing as saying the 'right' thing.

But it is impossible to change completely what people think. There will always be discrimination assumptions and biases whether intentionally or otherwise not just based on race.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I honestly don't think anti-racism movements work, now it has just become branding to feel nice and sound good. It sounds nice. In a way it causes divisiveness which is the exact opposite what they wish to achieve. People competing over who shouts the loudest to be seeing as saying the 'right' thing.

But it is impossible to change completely what people think. There will always be discrimination assumptions and biases whether intentionally or otherwise not just based on race.

Agreed.Its the most natural thing in the world to have your guard up with a cultural/religious belief system that is far removed to how you were raised.

We've dragged it from one extreme to the other. 20 years ago we never spoke about and now we can't get away from it.

There are influencers on Instagram who have made themselves famous by talking about their "battle" with anxiety,"battle" with poor body image,"battle" with that.
    It has become a profitable an industry as any and you would be making a coin for yourself as a public figure to speak about your mental health.

There are groups on Facebook for anxiety and people are borderline hysterical posting about their symptoms every day.

I think it feeds into the condition if there is any. If people with REAL mental health issues had any sense, they would get rid of that smartphone and get off social media. I saw a government campaign ad on RTE player lots of emjois and telling people to text if they need to 'talk'.

https://text50808.ie/get-help?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-c--p5ul6wIV2evtCh22sQ-QEAAYASAAEgK_OPD_BwE

Seems a bit off to me, moving away from real life human interaction.

Agreed.Its the most natural thing in the world to have your guard up with a cultural/religious belief system that is far removed to how you were raised.

Only way to really stop it is mixing (won't happen where differences are diverse), normal day to day stuff. Preaching anti racism all the time loses effect just becomes background noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I am actually so fed up of women in their 20s constantly being on about having anxiety disorders, there is no way in hell that many of them could have it, social media, out in the real world, wherever, its a non stop victimhood contest about who's mental health is worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Chocolate taste like ****. I'm not just talking about dark chocolate but milk chocolate and white chocolate.

There's something about it that's just....unpleasant for me. Bitterness aside. I've heard it's because I'm intolerant to caffeine and caffeine is present in large amounts in caffeine.

I'd rather eat sweets like sour Skittles or Haribo jellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Chocolate taste like ****. I'm not just talking about dark chocolate but milk chocolate and white chocolate.

There's something about it that's just....unpleasant for me. Bitterness aside. I've heard it's because I'm intolerant to caffeine and caffeine is present in large amounts in caffeine.

I'd rather eat sweets like sour Skittles or Haribo jellies.

I can't argue that science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

It's an important subject to talk about but i always think people with some real issues won't talk about it as they're afraid people will think it's fake.

Countless examples in Ireland of it. People who either were becoming irreverent or those who see it as an easy ride to money etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When it comes to sport, there is far far to much emphasis paid to team sports.

Soccer, rugby and GAA Football are basically the same thing, in the same way pool and snooker are the basically the same thing.

And now we have womens versions of those as well. Which basically increases coverage of team sports x 2, where he already have saturation coverage of team sports as it is.

And it seems to me when we talk of ourselves as being a sporting nation, we are not in fact a sporting nation, rather we just watch the drama of it unfold on our TV's screens, which isn't the same thing at all.

Being into drama isn't the same as being into sport. Being into sport is playing sport. Not watching it.

When it comes to team sports it seems to me the 'passion' is not really about sport, but rather the thrills and highs that come from seeing 'your' side, your county, your country, the side you picked, win.

I'm not saying there are no football purists, but I think the vast majority of spectators, involved in it, never kicked a ball in their adulthood in their life, and are into it for cheap thrills, often accompanied by betting and endless petty arguments about the players and the managers and coaches. That's what the sports news is often about and I think that's pretty sad.

AllForIt wrote: »

Soccer, rugby and GAA Football are basically the same thing, in the same way pool and snooker are the basically the same thing.

And now we have womens versions of those as well. Which basically increase coverage of team sports x 2, where he already have saturation coverage of team sports as it is.

And it seems to me when we talk of ourselfs as being a sporting nation, we are not in fact a sporting nation, rather we just watch the drama of it unfold on our TV's screens, which isn't the same thing at all.

Being into drama isn't the same as being into sport. Being in sport is playing sport. Not watching it.

When it comes to team sports it seems to me the 'passion' is not really about sport, but rather the thrills and highs that come from seeing 'your' side, your county, your country, the side you picked, win.

I'm not saying there are no football purists, but I think the vast majority of spectators, involved in it, never kicked a ball in their adulthood in their life, and are into it for cheap thrills, often accompanied by betting and endless petty arguments about the players and the managers and coaches. That's what the sports news is often about and I think that's pretty sad.

Agree with most of that except pool and snooker are NOT basically the same thing. Different tactics and different balls etc which mean different responses to a shot. If pool and snooker were the same thing the cross over would be massive.

But you are correct in your general point about people living vicariously through others success in sport (which is why people follow winning teams at young age). Plus they become events around which social life is built. A marathon drinking session of fellas with massive beer bellies, in stretched football tops . While they are giving out about multi millionaire athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Agree with most of that except pool and snooker are NOT basically the same thing. Different tactics and different balls etc which mean different responses to a shot. If pool and snooker were the same thing the cross over would be massive.

Pool is to snooker as pitch & putt is to golf.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

At least football , hurling etc are actual sports.

When you see people claim Darts and Snooker are sports it is ridiculous....they are games, well paid, and you do need talent, but it is not a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

AllForIt wrote: »

And now we have womens versions of those as well. Which basically increase coverage of team sports x 2, where he already have saturation coverage of team sports as it is.

And it seems to me when we talk of ourselfs as being a sporting nation, we are not in fact a sporting nation, rather we just watch the drama of it unfold on our TV's screens, which isn't the same thing at all.

Being into drama isn't the same as being into sport. Being in sport is playing sport. Not watching it.

I watch films and television shows for the entertainment they give me. I don't think of the cinematography or any of the technical aspects while watching.

Do you need to be a director or an actor to really be into films?

Sports are a pass time and entertainment to most people and I think that's perfectly fine.

That said this is the unpopular opinion thread so you've nailed that one!

• Advertisement

Pool is to snooker as pitch & putt is to golf.

I used to think that. But it is skillful game at a high level. Top snooker pros can't compete with top pool players. Might be an unpopular opinion. Different skill sets required.

Steve Davis v Efern Reyes:

Different game says Ronnie O'Sullivan:

All you have to do is look at Efern Reyes shots:

Reyes popularised 'kicking' in pool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efren_Reyes

Billiards type play and use of angles when can't pot directly.

He did a Z shot:

Plus old Reyes even Hustled O'Sullivan in snooker

Advertisement