Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Nearly every movie these days is total rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

dvdman1 wrote: »

Agreed

And on the tv , bbc do decent series

Efren Reyes, in his prime could probably expect to lose 2 out of 7 'racks' to the likes of Jimmy, Davis and Ronnie.

I don't know why the snooker fan on here is 'bigging up' the skill-difference/s between pool and snooker, and how pool is being legitimised as a difficult sport on its own merits.

No doubt it is, but there are a lot of similarities between both.

Take that 2 out of 7 (off the top of my head) example above. Now ask yourself: "Would an Efren Reyes in his prime even get within 35 points in two out of seventy frames, let alone have a chance of even winning one?"

Logic says no, and common sense says we'll never see a pool player even attempt to play against a snooker player. This could easily be done on a half-sized (9ft by 4 1/2ft) snooker table; which would be close enough in dimensions to a larger pool table.

EDIT: I did not notice that last clip that gdg posted, as because of the amount of video links posted on this page, there was a lot of buffering.
    I don't know why he even posted it. So , according to Efren, and it may or may not be true, henever beat Ronnie fair and square in a proper game of snooker - 7 balls, with handicaps etc..? Even if I had noticed it, I would still have presumed before watching it that it wasn't kosher, and I would have been proved right.

Tony Knowles, at 65 would hammer an in his prime Efren Reyes at snooker, absent any 'handicaps'. I've never seen Ronnie or Jimmy get any 'handicaps' when playing Strickland, or Reyes at 7 ball, or 8 ball, or any form of pool.

One can appreciate the difficulties of pool at a higher level, Masse - bank shots
    etc.. but don't fool yourselves.. It's night and day... Not even Chess and Checkers, as one would not learn how to play chess in a day having just played draughts all their lives. Could even take out the 'miss rule' , and any other rule/s from snooker that could be used as an excuse by the 'pool pros' for losing.

And no mention of Mark Selby either :) A lot of the snooker pro's on both sides of the channel may have played little or no pool when growing up, although they would have had access to both pool and snooker tables in pubs/clubs growing up. Nowadays, with the younger generation even less so, with a lot of pubs doing away with pool tables.

Even a billiards player would demolish most of these pool professionals in a game of snooker 19 times out of twenty.

/ Rant over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

that new Netflix one, Cuties, might be worth a watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Efren Reyes, in his prime could probably expect to lose 2 out of 7 'racks' to the likes of Jimmy, Davis and Ronnie.

I don't know why the snooker fan on here is 'bigging up' the skill-difference/s between pool and snooker, and how pool is being legitimised as a difficult sport on its own merits.

No doubt it is, but there are a lot of similarities between both.

Take that 2 out of 7 (off the top of my head) example above. Now ask yourself: "Would an Efren Reyes in his prime even get within 35 points in two out of seventy frames, let alone have a chance of even winning one?"

Logic says no, and common sense says we'll never see a pool player even attempt to play against a snooker player. This could easily be done on a half-sized (9ft by 4 1/2ft) snooker table; which would be close enough in dimensions to a larger pool table.

EDIT: I did not notice that last clip that gdg posted, as because of the amount of video links posted on this page, there was a lot of buffering.
    I don't know why he even posted it. So , according to Efren, and it may or may not be true, henever beat Ronnie fair and square in a proper game of snooker - 7 balls, with handicaps etc..? Even if I had noticed it, I would still have presumed before watching it that it wasn't kosher, and I would have been proved right.

Tony Knowles, at 65 would hammer an in his prime Efren Reyes at snooker, absent any 'handicaps'. I've never seen Ronnie or Jimmy get any 'handicaps' when playing Strickland, or Reyes at 7 ball, or 8 ball, or any form of pool.

One can appreciate the difficulties of pool at a higher level, Masse - bank shots
    etc.. but don't fool yourselves.. It's night and day... Not even Chess and Checkers, as one would not learn how to play chess in a day having just played draughts all their lives. Could even take out the 'miss rule' , and any other rule/s from snooker that could be used as an excuse by the 'pool pros' for losing.

And no mention of Mark Selby either :) A lot of the snooker pro's on both sides of the channel may have played little or no pool when growing up, although they would have had access to both pool and snooker tables in pubs/clubs growing up. Nowadays, with the younger generation even less so, with a lot of pubs doing away with pool tables.

Even a billiards player would demolish most of these pool professionals in a game of snooker 19 times out of twenty.

/ Rant over :pac:

I don't agree still. Because Knowles (65) would have to learn pool shots instead of snooker shots. Good point on Selby though. He plays in a pool style at times when playing snooker. He mixed the styles. However you say that as snooker player would destroy a pool player. In the two pool finals Selby was in he won one 11-7 and lost the other 21-19

If you look at Dennis Taylor playing pool this year against an Irish pool player Tierney
    recently Dennis lost 4-0.

Plus Tierney struggles when he plays top pool players outside Ireland.

If you want to see Ronnie O'Sullivan being beaten by Earl Strickland look at this:

Pool and snooker are different games simple as that!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

There's something amiss in people who devoutly follow reality TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Antares35 wrote: »

Aren't they scripted and staged? Unlike 20 years ago.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Antares35 wrote: »

I see they are showing the "best of Love Island" on the telly now in lieu of the usual show. Whatever about watching it "live" so to speak, to watch re-runs is very weird.

And the irony is lost in a lot of followers. They probably claim they suffer from anxiety and other in vogue illnesses themselves, yet have no qualms prying and commentating on the reality tv stars, and so effectively contributing to the problem whenever there is a suicide or online abuse or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

You cannot control your circumstances or being from a "bad background" but that should not become a pass for bad behaviour.
    You can however change your life by working hard and
    proving yourself.

The world owes you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Mr Fegelien provides great entertainment on boards.ie

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes..

But sadly, it is because, like music, everything has been done....

Very difficult now for movie producers and music artists to really create greatness...

There is only so much we can deliver...it’s all been done and covered..

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The mental health illness card in about 90 percent cases used to explain asshhole behaviour and the likes, is a crock of Sh1t!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

walshb wrote: »
    The mental health illness card in about 90 percent cases used to explain asshhole behaviour and the likes, is a crock of Sh1t!!!

similar to undisciplined children with zero manners and bad parents, who claim their kid has ADHD.

they are just spoiled unruly little sh1ts in need of proper discipline

Fitness and the gym can be crutch just like other unhealthy habits. Sometimes, it's a bandaid over something you really should just deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd like to go on a night out with Phil Hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

similar to undisciplined children with zero manners and bad parents, who claim their kid has ADHD.

they are just spoiled unruly little sh1ts in need of proper discipline

Some parents actually chase an ADHD diagnosis for the additional benefits and supports it obtains.
    There is a doctor who is well known as the person to pay for the requisite diagnosis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

You cannot control your circumstances or being from a "bad background" but that should not become a pass for bad behaviour.
    You can however change your life by working hard and
    proving yourself.

The world owes you nothing.

What do you mean by le monde ne vous doit rien/the world owes you nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Irish government can't control the weather.

Every time we have a storm and heavy rain, people want to blame the government for their house or business being flooded.

Appreciate that remedial works can be implemented to try to ease the problem, but you'll never engineer out the effects of nature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Telling people that their problems are insignificant cause others have it worse is ridiculous. I've heard many times the fallacy of relative privation/'Starving African Kids' fallacy.

I understand the reasoning for it, sure it's good to be grateful but sometimes complaining is good cause it gets you to see what's wrong. In life, you'll always find those worse off than you and better off than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Telling people that their problems are insignificant cause others have it worse is ridiculous. I've heard many times the fallacy of relative privation/'Starving African Kids' fallacy.

I understand the reasoning for it, sure it's good to be grateful but sometimes complaining is good cause it gets you to see what's wrong. In life, you'll always find those worse off than you and better off than you.

I'd just throw it back at them whenever they complain about something. They'll quickly realise how silly it sounds.

• Advertisement

Boards has quitened down lately because some of the more keyboard warrior posters are on site bans of some sort or another. And some don't bother to post threads in prison of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Some parents actually chase an ADHD diagnosis for the additional benefits and supports it obtains.
    There is a doctor who is well known as the person to pay for the requisite diagnosis.

This absolutely happens, go to any shítty/ poor area and Take a look at the doctors offices around , you’ll find one usually with a really expensive car outside it and way more patients than the other ones. Between ADHD diagnosis and signing off medical reports for exagerated/fake personal injury theyre making a tidy sum out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I am glad the pubs are closed.
    I hope i am not banned for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

The first season of The Simpsons is just as bad as the newer episodes, but in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think Mary Lou McDonald is as sincere as some people make he out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Cadbury's chocolate is **** but too many people think that is what chocolate should taste like.

It's basically the Foster's lager of the chocolate world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

Based on the fawning media coverage of him so far if Stephen Kenny doesn't turn this Ireland team into a combination of the Dutch team from 1974 and the Spain team from 2010 I'm going to be very disappointed.

Far too much talk about the changes he's going to bring in and the revolution of Irish football he's going to start when our players are bang average and the highest level he's managed at is in the SPL where he was not a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Teachers are going to try anything they can to get the schools closed again. Not even open a week and it's already happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

FHFM50 wrote: »
    The first season of The Simpsons is just as bad as the newer episodes, but in a different way.

It's not brilliant, a few good episodes, Crepes of Wrath, Krusty gets Busted The Telltale Head and Bart The General are excellent but the rest are pretty poor. Characterisation is completely off in some of the episodes and the animation for the first season is dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I am glad the pubs are closed.
    I hope i am not banned for this

Well, you were already threadbanned.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement