Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Andrea B. wrote: »
    There is advice against going.
    He had an obvious sense of entitlement and part of his job is to be seen to be supporting the concept of staycationing.
    Further, it is not "his money". It is "our" money.

“Our money” , says the man who talks about “sense of entitlement”

In return for a salary , which is funded by tax payers (many of the population don’t Significantly contribute to taxation by the way) , to do a job. Once the money is handed over as a salary , it’s his money and it’s for him to do what he chooses with his salary

By your logic , the money that you earne each week under PAYE so really the “customers” money 😆 🙄

They didn’t force people to staycation , they promoted the idea that people consider doing stay cation . Why shouldn’t he travel eles where if the law permits ?

The real tripe and nonsense is from those whining about “do as I say and not what I do”. Those very same people are under the very mistaken belief that we are all equal and all this in together . Some people ought to know their bloody place

AllForIt wrote: »
    When it comes to sport, there is far far to much emphasis paid to team sports.

Soccer, rugby and GAA Football are basically the same thing, in the same way pool and snooker are the basically the same thing.

And now we have womens versions of those as well. Which basically increases coverage of team sports x 2, where he already have saturation coverage of team sports as it is.

And it seems to me when we talk of ourselves as being a sporting nation, we are not in fact a sporting nation, rather we just watch the drama of it unfold on our TV's screens, which isn't the same thing at all.

Being into drama isn't the same as being into sport. Being into sport is playing sport. Not watching it.

When it comes to team sports it seems to me the 'passion' is not really about sport, but rather the thrills and highs that come from seeing 'your' side, your county, your country, the side you picked, win.

I'm not saying there are no football purists, but I think the vast majority of spectators, involved in it, never kicked a ball in their adulthood in their life, and are into it for cheap thrills, often accompanied by betting and endless petty arguments about the players and the managers and coaches. That's what the sports news is often about and I think that's pretty sad.

There are GAA clubs and soccer teams (least since the 1980s) all over the nation , be it urban areas (sometimes more than one GAA club and more than one soccer club) and even villages , and schools

Yet despite that, you make the outlandish suggestion that the vast majority of spectators never kicked a ball in their life , specifically their adult life 😂😂👌🏻👌🏻

Good luck backing that up with any facts

Sorry that the nations aren’t as arsed about the loner sports like running etc

E-sports are an absolute joke, and I'd be ashamed if either of my sons were involved. It's a sign of the decay of society.

That is a plague in the world of cycling now. A lot of amateur cyclists making a killing with their videos and being cheerleaders and corporate whores for the likes of Zwift - some of very insightful to be fair and worth listening to

Check out the contrversey over last years British indoor cycling championship won by a well known YouTube and the media attention that it got from cycling journalists

Check out the reception glorified spin class gets

Mother of god and races that have been going in for 50 years plus are struggling to get financed ��

This generation has a lot to answer for. Those you get notions should be sneered at

Yes, it's a sign of parents globally being too afraid to let their kids be out and about like they were when they were young. I'm not sure what adults expect from young people. Like they keep them inside and expect them to not be addicted to their phones and be apathetic to sports. Like they mock young people for not knowing how to hang a picture but they never taught them how to do it.

I don't have any problems with e-sports themselves really. They're just too addictive.

In the world of internet , and parents working every hour of the sun, I’m sure that the young people can check out YouTube or even their wood work classes and figure out how to nail a picture to the wall ��

Does everything have to be spoon fed to these kids and young adults ?

You silly enough to believe that most people were not told to go out and learn for yer selves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Some people, men, are so deprived of intimate contact with the opposite sex that they will speak and behave in an obsequious manner to a servile degree - desperate in the hope that this pandering behaviour dressed as “respect” will ingratiate them.
    Favour it may win them with certain insecure/dogmatic women, sexual relations however will remain a vain aspiration.

Any detractors of this patronising behaviour will be derided acidly as “misogynists” etc, presumably “fragile” in their “masculinity” and so on.

Yeah but you see men behaving that way towards women out of some kind of misguided chivalry. Think an old bloke opening a door for a woman just because she's a woman. Or someone offering a seat to a woman because she's a woman.

Ever seen a man push a door open and then he sees a woman coming towards him, so he stands in the doorway, back to the door with arm outstretched to keep the door open to let the woman through first? Cringe.

It never occurred to me that those blokes are deprived of women's attention. It's just an old school type of, mostly benign, misogyny.

But you referred to "some" men, so fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

That is a plague in the world of cycling now. A lot of amateur cyclists making a killing with their videos and being cheerleaders and corporate whores for the likes of Zwift - some of very insightful to be fair and worth listening to

Check out the contrversey over last years British indoor cycling championship won by a well known YouTube and the media attention that it got from cycling journalists

Check out the reception glorified spin class gets

Mother of god and races that have been going in for 50 years plus are struggling to get financed ��

This generation has a lot to answer for
    . Those you get notions should be sneered at
    The struggles of cycling wouldn't have anything to do with it being constantly exposed as a marathon of drugged up endurance men repeatedly dragging the name of the sport through the mud for decades with various drug taking, cover up and corruption scandals?

And the very real fear for parents that if their child has an interest in the professional side of things they'll likely have to dose themselves to the gills to get anywhere of note and that they mightn't want that for their children so discourage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah but you see men behaving that way towards women out of some kind of misguided chivalry. Think an old bloke opening a door for a woman just because she's a woman. Or someone offering a seat to a woman because she's a woman.

Ever seen a man push a door open and then he sees a woman coming towards him, so he stands in the doorway, back to the door with arm outstretched to keep the door open to let the woman through first? Cringe.

It never occurred to me that those blokes are deprived of women's attention. It's just an old school type of, mostly benign, misogyny.

But you referred to "some" men, so fair enough.

Isn’t holding a door for someone, man or womxn, just good manners?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Isn’t holding a door for someone, man or womxn, just good manners?

Not always and certainly not the way I described it. When the door opens away from you and the only way to keep the door open and allow the person through first is to stand in the actual doorway and hold the door open. It's just cringe to watch.

Manners changes over time. Kissing a woman's hand on introduction was also considered polite in the recent past. That's changed too.

It is still practical (and polite) to hold a door when it opens towards you and you arrive at the same time as people people the other side.

Opening a door for a woman because she's a woman isn't universally polite today. It's in the process of changing meaning. But some old people might still consider it polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Pubs opening in Ireland is not that important.

stoneill wrote: »

Hundred percent agree. The pubs are a vocal lobby group though.

Opening things oncreases covid transmission. I'd prefer to open schools, manufacturing, and loads of industry and see if there's still room for pubs. If we're happy with the current infection rate and death rate, and would be happy to increase that infection and death rate, then open pubs.

Pubs should be late to reopen and early to be closed down again to control infection rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not always and certainly not the way I described it. When the door opens away from you and the only way to keep the door open and allow the person through first is to stand in the actual doorway and hold the door open. It's just cringe to watch.

Manners changes over time. Kissing a woman's hand on introduction was also considered polite in the recent past. That's changed too.

It is still practical (and polite) to hold a door when it opens towards you and you arrive at the same time as people people the other side.

Opening a door for a woman because she's a woman isn't universally polite today. It's in the process of changing meaning. But some old people might still consider it polite.

I think I'll continue to what I deem to be polite and hold the door open for people. If a woman wants to see me as a misogynist for doing so, then that's her prerogative, and it's fine with me because it's exactly the type of person I would want to avoid so it will be a good warning system.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think I'll continue to what I deem to be polite and hold the door open for people. If a woman wants to see me as a misogynist for doing so, then that's her prerogative, and it's fine with me because it's exactly the type of person I would want to avoid so it will be a good warning system.

I didn't say it was misogyny in relation to people in general (or holding a door when it's the practical thing to do), I gave an example of awkwardly holding the door for women because they're women...

Assuming that's what you meant then sure, do as you want. You'll probably povide the same service of marking yourself for young people watching you exhibit the very definition of virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I didn't say it was misogyny in relation to people in general (or holding a door when it's the practical thing to do), I gave an example of awkwardly holding the door for women because they're women...

Assuming that's what you meant then sure, do as you want. You'll probably povide the same service of marking yourself for young people watching you exhibit the very definition of virtue signalling.

Doing a decent thing, and having manners, is not virtue signalling. Seeing as such says more about you than me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

It’s just good manners to hold a door for anyone, I can’t imagine checking to see if it’s a woman before I decide to hold a door for them. I think I’d probably laugh in their face if somebody got offended by that simple gesture of decency.

Doing a decent thing, and having manners, is not virtue signalling. Seeing as such says more about you than me. ;)

As I said, sometimes it's practical (thus polite) to hold a door. But holding a door can also be just virtue signalling as I've outlined earlier. You haven't said which type you do so I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

stoneill wrote: »

I’d agree that it’s low priority compared to essential work (including childcare, and education),

Though I see a lack of effort to open them with strict measures.

For example,

Allow (wet) pubs reopen if
    1) They can undertake to ensure that patrons will imbibe a max number (tbd) of alcohol units,
    2) Patrons will maintain a level of coherence so they do not put people in danger, i.e. responsible drinking.
    3) They will ensure masks to be worn if closer than 2m,
    4) straws will be provided for people wearing masks.

Now people may scoff at these suggestions, fair enough, but at least it’s starting the conversation around reopening.

I don’t see an effort from the government to try to find any solutions.

nj27 wrote: »
    It’s just good manners to hold a door for anyone, I can’t imagine checking to see if it’s a woman before I decide to hold a door for them....

Well, there has to be more to it than this it else everyone would hold the door for everyone and nobody would get though doors.

There's the practicality of which way the door opens, towards you or away from you. And who gets to the door first.

If a door opens away from you and you get there first then you probably walk through and hold it open for the people on the other side.

It's the ones who stand prostrate in the door which opens away from them and hold it open as people have to shuffle past them, that are cringe.

And yeah, you'll find plenty of men who think it's correct to hold a door for women because they're women and offer a seat to a woman because she's a woman. They'll tell you it's the manners they were raised with and they won't (or can't) change. That's just a mostly benign misogyny. Manners change over time so it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Henry VIII did the right thing in his Dissolution of the Monasteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

E-sports are an absolute joke, and I'd be ashamed if either of my sons were involved. It's a sign of the decay of society.

Some lad on Twitch switched to Mixer streaming platform last year and Microsoft paid him 50 million to stream on their platform. MS few months later closed the platform and the contract had to be paid out still :eek:

50 million and your job just sitting there playing video games, it's no joke. Years ago made no sense. Seems to be a profitable job for some nowadays.

Of course there only a number of people who actually make money from playing games, it just a social relax thing for other males and females.

Watching some world war 2 documentaries, seeing the destruction of cities throughout Europe, I think we as Irish(in the south) people overstate how unkind history has been to us. Imagine having that in your collective memory.

Famine was not kind to Ireland. The historian estimates are the population would be 15 million if it had not happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Famine was not kind to Ireland. The historian estimates are the population would be 15 million if it had not happened.

How were all these millions supposed to have been fed, clothed and employed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How were populations increased in other countries that the British were not wilfully starving People in ? ?

I think point made here is most of the Irish catholic emigration occurred during the Potato famine. The people just didn't decide one day to leave in huge numbers, there was a reason behind it.

The lockdown in Dublin didn't happen soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’d like to see attractive people give the government briefing about Covid. I think people might pay more attention to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

:) I'm a woman and I think it's nice when people (men or women) hold a door open. I'd hate to be the kind of person who volunteers for anger and indignation so easily. I agree with you, it's a nice thing to do. Not everything has to be a statement on sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Well, there has to be more to it than this it else everyone would hold the door for everyone and nobody would get though doors.

There's the practicality of which way the door opens, towards you or away from you. And who gets to the door first.

If a door opens away from you and you get there first then you probably walk through and hold it open for the people on the other side.

It's the ones who stand prostrate in the door which opens away from them and hold it open as people have to shuffle past them, that are cringe.

And yeah, you'll find plenty of men who think it's correct to hold a door for women because they're women and offer a seat to a woman because she's a woman. They'll tell you it's the manners they were raised with and they won't (or can't) change. That's just a mostly benign misogyny. Manners change over time so it's grand.

Is it not exhausting to undertake all the mental gymnastics you've outlined above to make a simple decision whether to hold a door for someone or not? I couldn't live like that, I'd be worn out by lunchtime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think point made here is most of the Irish catholic emigration occurred during the Potato famine. The people just didn't decide one day to leave in huge numbers, there was a reason behind it.

More chrap, really clueless.

If the global population was circa 1 - 1,2 billion in 1896 ( 40 odd years after the end of the great famine), how come it has multiplied to 8 billion now?

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/world-population-by-year/

So if the population of the 32 counties was circa 5 million then, how come it isn't 35 million now? Condom nonsense aside. Actually do me a favour please, I fancy a laugh today, can you just reply and say it was something or other, just make something like you always do?

relandeuropepopulation1750.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    More chrap, really clueless.

If the global population was circa 1 - 1,2 billion in 1896 ( 40 odd years after the end of the great famine), how come it has multiplied to 8 billion now?

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/world-population-by-year/

So if the population of the 32 counties was circa 5 million then, how come it isn't 35 million now? Condom nonsense aside. Actually do me a favour please, I fancy a laugh today, can you just reply and say it was something or other, just make something like you always do?

relandeuropepopulation1750.png

we have had continued high emigration since the famine with the exception of the 2 world wars. you also have to remember that the majority of those emigrating are those of child rearing age. It is very hard for the population to grow when the young people leave

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Antares35 wrote: »
    :) I'm a woman and I think it's nice when people (men or women) hold a door open. I'd hate to be the kind of person who volunteers for anger and indignation so easily. I agree with you, it's a nice thing to do. Not everything has to be a statement on sexism.
    Why not attractive naked people having sex ! !

Advertisement