Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mules wrote: »
    I'd say this will be a genuinely unpopular opinion. I think a bad part of Irish society is how we always play the victim. People are still bitter about the British, 100 years after independence. The catholic church is now another example. Some people in Ireland were terribly treated by the British government and the catholic church. But plenty of Irish people were complicit in both and most just didn't care about the people who were badly treated. In the case of the church, these same people now act shocked by everything.

The British establishment treated their own working class like crap as well, we weren't alone in that. British people were shipped off to the west indies as indentured servants too but there's a false narrative that Irish people were slaves.

We always act like we are helpless victims and it's encouraged by the media. We blame every ill in our society on things that others have done to us in the past, rather than take responsibility for them. Ireland is no different than other countries, every people has had bad things happen throughout history. We aren't any more persecuted than anyone else. I think it's a real failing.

its far from unique to this country and im not saying i even believe we play the " victim " too often

the british oppression is not that long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    its far from unique to this country and im not saying i even believe we play the " victim " too often

Excluding northern Ireland, we won the ability to rule ourselves nearly 100 years ago. In that time we have developed a better standard of living than many UK cities and many other positives. Many former colony countries fall apart into prolonged civil war, corruption, poverty and dictatorship. We should have the self confidence to forget about the British and be pleased with what we've made for ourselves.

Another one is where people say we'd be poverty stricken without the eu. The government in the 1960's opened the economy and started to attract foreign investment. We opened duty frees as tax free zones. This was all before eu membership. We made our own lives better. But we still give both credit and blame to outsiders. It's something that annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭storker

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Disregarding the six counties, who even remembers them being here?

storker wrote: »
    Disregarding the six counties, who even remembers them being here?

No one, it's that long ago so there's no need to still be blaming them for stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

No one, it's that long ago so there's no need to still be blaming them for stuff.

What exactly are we blaming them for these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

I'd say this will be a genuinely unpopular opinion. I think a bad part of Irish society is how we always play the victim. People are still bitter about the British, 100 years after independence. The catholic church is now another example. Some people in Ireland were terribly treated by the British government and the catholic church. But plenty of Irish people were complicit in both and most just didn't care about the people who were badly treated. In the case of the church, these same people now act shocked by everything.

The British establishment treated their own working class like crap as well, we weren't alone in that. British people were shipped off to the west indies as indentured servants too but there's a false narrative that Irish people were slaves.

We always act like we are helpless victims and it's encouraged by the media. We blame every ill in our society on things that others have done to us in the past, rather than take responsibility for them. Ireland is no different than other countries, every people has had bad things happen throughout history. We aren't any more persecuted than anyone else. I think it's a real failing.
    there is the failing of clinging on to the FG and FF parties whom
    have their own brand of "jackboot" on the citizens.
    whilst recent elections show citizens now moving vote and refuse thoise two
    a majority IT is not enough and need New party with wider political views which
    may encompass far right\left etc, with citizens First not politicians protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Landlords in general are nice people providing a valuable service and its generally the insane tax rates on small landlords plus the inability to just tell a tenant ‘I dont take HAP’ which keeps rents high. We need small landlords and at the expense of whats currently happening where companies like kennedy wilson are being huge commercial landlords and lining foreign pockets, we should drastically cut taxes on small landlords and allow them to decline HAP

What exactly are we blaming them for these days?

Back in the recession, during the bank bailout, I remember people saying the reason we accepted such onerous terms rather than negotiate was because of our history of being cowed by the British. Basically, us not acting in our own interest was their fault becase they colonised Ireland, which resulted in a passive mentality.

Landlords in general are nice people providing a valuable service and its generally the insane tax rates on small landlords plus the inability to just tell a tenant ‘I dont take HAP’ which keeps rents high. We need small landlords and at the expense of whats currently happening where companies like kennedy wilson are being huge commercial landlords and lining foreign pockets, we should drastically cut taxes on small landlords and allow them to decline HAP
    It's true that they are running a business not a charity. We need a bigger supply of affordable housing. I think the focus on landlords has helped the governments avoid some of the heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Back in the recession, during the bank bailout, I remember people saying the reason we accepted such onerous terms rather than negotiate was because of our history of being cowed by the British. Basically, us not acting in our own interest was their fault becase they colonised Ireland, which resulted in a passive mentality.

Never heard that - maybe I was out that day.

• Advertisement

It's true that they are running a business not a charity. We need a bigger supply of affordable housing. I think the focus on landlords has helped the governments avoid some of the heat.
    A lot of "government" are landlords and enjoy "tax issues".
    All income of all citizens including "company's gained rights through courts to being
    treated as an individual (human) to gain rights to their benefit) should be taxed
    at equal rate. i not religious but Tithe system is needed.
    All pay 10% with removal of fake R&D etc tax breaks along with
    "we supply jobs" excuse. which is proven that if you dont do it someone else will.
    Pure politicians "pocket liners" in force and hence high costs.

jelem wrote: »
    A lot of "government" are landlords and enjoy "tax issues".
    All income of all citizens including "company's gained rights through courts to being
    treated as an individual (human) to gain rights to their benefit) should be taxed
    at equal rate. i not religious but Tithe system is needed.
    All pay 10% with removal of fake R&D etc tax breaks along with
    "we supply jobs" excuse. which is proven that if you dont do it someone else will.
    Pure politicians "pocket liners" in force and hence high costs.

It's very true about the dail being full of landlords. I had forgotten about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I agree with most of what you've said.

How do you define a "small landlord"?

Where will HAP tenants go?

statement of income and "intel" - people will know if you operating
    - must be compliant for insurance\payments,bank or other\health and safety etc.etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,771 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know some people are lonely but it's fantastic knowing that we're going to have a visitor free bank holiday weekend. There's no pressure regarding having food in, tidying up, etc for them.

I know some people are lonely but it's fantastic knowing that we're going to have a visitor free bank holiday weekend. There's no pressure regarding having food in, tidying up, etc for them.
    in jimjams till 2 greaaaaaaat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

small landlords are ones with too few properties to wrap it up into a REIT , which is where the corporate landlords get tax benefits and can actually make money. Theres no real limit on how many properties a REIT has but it basically makes no sense unless theres atleast 2 million euro worth of assets, which could be 15 apartments in some parts of the country or 2 apartments in south Dublin.

The HAP tenants can go out to areas of rural Ireland where supply outstrips demand , or live with their aul pair or go get a job like they should do. They're all only in there till the clock runs out on their housing list application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My unpopular opinion is that people talk about what happened in mother and baby homes, but they never ask why the man who got the girl pregnant wasn't accountable, or why her father put her into the home. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Excluding northern Ireland, we won the ability to rule ourselves nearly 100 years ago. In that time we have developed a better standard of living than many UK cities and many other positives. Many former colony countries fall apart into prolonged civil war, corruption, poverty and dictatorship. We should have the self confidence to forget about the British and be pleased with what we've made for ourselves.

Another one is where people say we'd be poverty stricken without the eu. The government in the 1960's opened the economy and started to attract foreign investment. We opened duty frees as tax free zones. This was all before eu membership. We made our own lives better. But we still give both credit and blame to outsiders. It's something that annoys me.

the EU was hugely important , beit for farmers or what american multinationals saw as a gateway to the EU market

we did take advantage of EU membership and for that we should be pleased with our achievements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,599 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Antares35 wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that people talk about what happened in mother and baby homes, but they never ask why the man who got the girl pregnant wasn't accountable, or why her father put her into the home. :(

Was always the girl's father was it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Excluding northern Ireland, we won the ability to rule ourselves nearly 100 years ago. .

aye after 800 years of british rule.

and what have we done ? give it away again to europe this time

Firstly let me preface this by saying I fully support equality in pay for women and men doing the same job and getting the same opportunities.

That said, I think the calls from the women’s football team for equal pay with the men’s team is a bit delusional tbh. In terms of ability and revenue they bring they just aren’t on the same level.

The USA women’s team, the world champions who are incredibly dominant, played an under 15s boys team from Dallas in their last World Cup preparations and were beaten 5-2.
    So that’s by far the best women’s team in the WORLD taking a relatively heavy loss from boys who were 14-15 years old in a city where soccer is a total non entity, in a country where men’s soccer is a non entity and still they won. Against the most dominant women’s team of all time.

Top level men’s football is insanely competitive, these are the top 0.000001% of literally millions of players the world over in an absolutely massive industry and their pay reflects that. It is just so so so much more difficult to reach that top level. Women’s football is neither as competitive (relatively) nor near the men’s commercially.

I just honestly don’t see how you can argue in good faith that they deserve equal pay, they’re not doing the same job. Likewise the top earning models in the world are all female - is that sexist? No. They are just much more successful and valuable from a commercial standpoint.

One could argue with regards to international matches there should be equal pay as it’s all funded by the taxpayer but then with that in mind why should the footballers get paid more than the badminton players? If they’re all international sports people representing Ireland do they not all deserve the same? No, of course not - again it all comes down to viewing figures, jersey sales, promotional opportunities etc etc.
    It’s not exactly nice but like most things in this world, money is the prime factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Antares35 wrote: »

Or her mother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

what simpleton would spend a 100 million on a woman footballer like they would a man.

Womens sports are rubbish in comparison to the men in 99% of all cases.
    Tennis is possibly the only exception, and maybe gymnastics.

Womens football, golf, even the pathetic womens gaa is worthless to the average sky viewer.

If it was that good then man utd women would be getting 70,000 gates etc, but they dont because most people dont care.

Even darts where there is no physical endurance, and can be played by both sexes the women are not as good. women only events cannot survive without mens games in the same competition.

If they want to demand equal pay, they can pick a men's team with similar viewing figures and base it on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't like the way the media try to force women's sport on the viewers who tuned in to enjoy men's sports programmes. there are a number of football podcasts now where they will put on a little segment for the women's game. some of the contributors do care because they were selected for that specifically, but the others are forced to feign enthusiasm. they should have a seperate show for the women's game but of course hardly anybody would download it.

same on rte website you have to be careful the way they might trick you into thinking an article is about the mens football or rugby teams just for the clicks. I'd say 99% of people close the tab when they realise their mistake.

nothing against women's sport at all. just like any business it should stand on its own two feet and understand its place. there's a reason Man United resisted having a womens team for so long because it is just throwing money at something that will never be profitable. they were shamed into putting a team together. that is the only way women's sport can survive seemingly by attaching itself to the mens game and leeching off of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

what simpleton would spend a 100 million on a woman footballer like they would a man.

Womens sports are rubbish in comparison to the men in 99% of all cases.
    Tennis is possibly the only exception, and maybe gymnastics.

Womens football, golf, even the pathetic womens gaa is worthless to the average sky viewer.

I was at an All Ireland ladies club final years ago (my sister was playing). The standard was so atrocious it was actually really entertaining. It was comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭cms88

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I don't like the way the media try to force women's sport on the viewers who tuned in to enjoy men's sports programmes. there are a number of football podcasts now where they will put on a little segment for the women's game. some of the contributors do care because they were selected for that specifically, but the others are forced to feign enthusiasm. they should have a seperate show for the women's game but of course hardly anybody would download it.

same on rte website you have to be careful the way they might trick you into thinking an article is about the mens football or rugby teams just for the clicks. I'd say 99% of people close the tab when they realise their mistake.

nothing against women's sport at all. just like any business it should stand on its own two feet and understand its place. there's a reason Man United resisted having a womens team for so long because it is just throwing money at something that will never be profitable. they were shamed into putting a team together. that is the only way women's sport can survive seemingly by attaching itself to the mens game and leeching off of it.

My gripe is how we're always fed the ''It's just as good as the mens game'' line. No no it's not. If it was they wouldn't have to keep telling us it is.

Every year there's some dispute between ladies football and camogie around fixtures. Every year we hear, mostly from women, about how this wouldn't happen to th men or the GAA have to do something about it. All the while ignoring the fact it actually has nothing to do with the GAA. Both ladies football and camogie associations are both mainly run by women and if men were running them a poorly a they do there would be countless investigations around it etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

kowloonkev wrote: »
    that is the only way women's sport can survive seemingly by attaching itself to the mens game and leeching off of it.

It makes perfect marketing sense to do this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Greyfox wrote: »
    It makes perfect marketing sense to do this though.

What's hypocritical is that they're chasing men's viewership and expecting equal engagement, women don't watch other women play sports in large numbers, that's what they should be going after.

If they could, the athletes would be richer than the Kardashians, young women are worth more in advertising $ than men, everything possible is targeted at them. All the influencer cr*p is financed this way.

Advertisement