Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think both the GAA and Rugby have the most obnoxious fans.
    Have you ever been out for a pint on a sunday after a game and see their "fans".

It got to the point i would hope cork would lose every game so I would not have to listen to those simpletons go on and on and on as if GAA was some sort of important thing in life.

Then we got the Rugby fans who came out of the woodwork and became almost as bad.

Its absolutely insufferable , especially the new wave of Dublin fans that have suddenly become GAA fanatics since they started winning the last few years.

I think both the GAA and Rugby have the most obnoxious fans.
    Have you ever been out for a pint on a sunday after a game and see their "fans".

It got to the point i would hope cork would lose every game so I would not have to listen to those simpletons go on and on and on as if GAA was some sort of important thing in life.

Then we got the Rugby fans who came out of the woodwork and became almost as bad.

Cork gaa are gowls....but none worse than kk fans,literally they are an arguement in favour of ethic cleansing

Wait you see rugby fans will cease to exist as quick as they come about.....its a terrible game,no amount of buzzwords will save it.....

.we shouldnt be letting our youth play it,too many serious head injuries and concussions among underage players,its pure wrong the way rte etc encourage/promote this rubbish.....it was best bit about covid,that it was gone off tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Yeah because anyone that doesn’t like the exact same things as you has to be faking.

Will never understand the sneering types who pretty much celebrate the losses of the Irish rugby team - I can’t fathom wanting a team representing Ireland and trying their best to lose.

Even in sports I don’t like/don’t watch I’d just say fair play and best of luck. Actively hoping for their failure just because you’ve a chip on your shoulder or for whatever reason just comes off a bit bitter and pathetic imho.

I didn't say everyone was faking. Long before the Ireland team became successful, there was always a small number of loyal rugby fans in this country. I'm sure those people will remain loyal and will continue to support the Ireland team, even if they (The Team of Them) go through a lengthy barren patch.

.anon. wrote: »
    I didn't say everyone was faking. Long before the Ireland team became successful, there was always a small number of loyal rugby fans in this country. I'm sure those people will remain loyal and will continue to support the Ireland team, even if they (The Team of Them) go through a lengthy barren patch.

Still don’t get this gatekeeping though. So what you can’t be a genuine rugby fan unless you’ve been following them since they were ****e in the 90s?
    What about all the young people that have been born after that and are now supporters?
    How do you think sports grow exactly? If not converting viewers with a casual interest into fans?

Still don’t get this gatekeeping though. So what you can’t be a genuine rugby fan unless you’ve been following them since they were ****e in the 90s?
    What about all the young people that have been born after that and are now supporters?
    How do you think sports grow exactly? If not converting viewers with a casual interest into fans?

Do you honestly think folks are gonna stay with em,when their ****e

Will they be selling out the aviva at 70 plus a head,when likes of italy are hockeying them regularly??

Munster bandwagon has fallen completly asunder and they havnt sold out a match in thoumond park in years.....afaik they have not bothered opening the terraces for several games and only for convoluted rules,wouldnt qualify for the heino cup

Its probably a great sport to play,but fcuk me,its some rubbish to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do you honestly think folks are gonna stay with em,when their ****e

Will they be selling out the aviva at 70 plus a head,when likes of italy are hockeying them regularly??

Munster bandwagon has fallen completly asunder and they havnt sold out a match in thoumond park in years.....afaik they have not bothered opening the terraces for several games and only for convoluted rules,wouldnt qualify for the heino cup

Its probably a great sport to play,but fcuk me,its some rubbish to watch

I can't imagine that anybody who would say nonsense like that has ever watched a game in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

There has never been a great female painter. Jan van Eyck, Jean-Honore Fragonard, Michelangelo Caravaggio, Lucian Freud, Diego Velazquez, Rembrandt... I cannot think of a female painter who's work rivals their's.

I can't imagine that anybody who would say nonsense like that has ever watched a game in their lives.

I watched the game last night?

The goys beat france on penalties :rolleyes:....while got beat off the pitch,the sport is in terminal decline here,hopefully wont be on tv much longer

I watched the game last night?

The goys beat france on penalties :rolleyes:....while got beat off the pitch,the sport is in terminal decline here,hopefully wont be on tv much longer

it is a long way from losing a match in Paris to getting hockeyed by Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

We'll see how many fans stick around out of love for the sport itself, as opposed to love of watching Ireland winning something, anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Good point. The bandwagon loves rolling up for hockey, rowing and cricket!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

cms88 wrote: »
    None of them have every claimed to be doing it for free. There's couches all over the country being paid as well, along with admin staff in county baords grounds men etc

they pay sofas and couches ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

There has never been a great female painter. Jan van Eyck, Jean-Honore Fragonard, Michelangelo Caravaggio, Lucian Freud, Diego Velazquez, Rembrandt... I cannot think of a female painter who's work rivals their's.

you could say the same about composers, inventors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

^ because throughout history men didn't allow for women to thrive in those area's

Plautilla Nelli might have had a thing or two to say about womens painting skills.

Agreed though, history wasn't kind to women in a lot of fields.

Actually though doesn't the art restoration field have a very high number of woman in it ? Can't find anything to back that up but I seem to recall seeing a piece on it some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭cms88

Rugby fans are not dissimilar to ''Hurling people'' both will put down other sports in order to making out theres as being the best. It's soccer with it comes to Rugby fans and pretty much any other sport when it comes to hurling fans.

cms88 wrote: »
    Rugby fans are not dissimilar to ''Hurling people'' both will put down other sports in order to making out theres as being the best. It's soccer with it comes to Rugby fans and pretty much any other sport when it comes to hurling fans.

Tbf at least hurling,soccer even snooker have a skill set....

Rugby seems to be just blokes crashing into each other and rolling around on the ground....calling it a ruck or rooling maul (:rolleyes:) deosnt improve it as spectacle or make it skilful

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Artemisia Gentileschi. Her Judith is superior to Caravaggio's, IMO.

Rugby seems to be just blokes crashing into each other and rolling around on the ground....calling it a ruck or rooling maul (:rolleyes:) deosnt improve it as spectacle or make it skilful

Ah I’m sorry but that’s a load of rubbish.

It’s evident from what you’ve said so far that you know very little about rugby and what’s involved in playing it. Or maybe you do know and are just trying to get a rise out of people.

Either way I don’t understand why you see the need to belittle other people’s sports. Maybe you don’t like it but if they do why do you care?

But then I suppose begrudgery always finds it’s place in Ireland..

Tbf at least hurling,soccer even snooker have a skill set....

If it’s that easy why wouldn’t you just do it yourself? Millions to be made. They’re skilful athletes and to say otherwise is daft or ignorant. Sure snooker is just hitting a ball with a stick. So is hurling.

• Advertisement

It's all the bloody attendant bs with the Rugby; Pundits and Journos one might describe as 'swallowing a dictionary', going by how they talk/write.

Then there's the over exaggeration of the 'skill' levels - A fella might be about to go over the sideline, and manages to make a 'legal' pass to one of his teammates who's only about two yards away; or similar, when a player manages to collect a bouncing ball without fumbling or breaking his stride to run a little to get a 'touchdown'.

Both of the above-mentioned are often done at 'full tilt' :P , and are therefore showered with plaudits, for merely having good hand-eye coordination. Genius - I think not.

Onto the pre/post-match interviews - which are normally in the salubrious surrounds of places like 'Carton House' - The manner in which the journos ask the head coaches/captains etc questions.. it's almost reverential, whereas in other sports it seems to be more relaxed/a free for all. Well nowadays with a lot of sports being more professional, and the business side highly important the interviews don't appear to be the melee, as I may have alluded to, but Rugby interviews seem to have always been like that - almost as if they were talking to Royalty. :pac:

And final point is the controversial type bullcrap that is espoused by fans/pundits if, for example their team needs England, say, to do them a 'favour' by beating France, or whoever, by a certain amount of points. The type of rubbish they spout is "We'll forget about the 800 years ha ha" :D.
    I saw a similar post in the latest Rugby thread re Italy - If Italy did Ireland one of them win by x, or not lose by too much (can't remember which exactly) - favours, someone said We'll forget about Covid :mad:

Kinda reminds me of that famous Chris Morris from "Brass Eye" skit where he says it's okay for the 'Middle Class' to do heroin, as they (presumably) would be able to do it in moderation, and similarly with the 'Rugger Buggers', a lot who would be 'Middle Class' themselves - they get a free pass with their sometimes 'distasteful' humour, whereas others from other sports perhaps may not.. :(

I watch some of it myself, and while it aint my favourite sport, it can be enteraining, but it's hard to warm to it, or wish the 'goys' success, because of the reasons outlined.

It's no wonder the likes of Tubridy 'pretends' he's a fan. I remember, and he definitely used to be at this crap a few years ago; come Monday if Ireland 'prevailed' in a 'close battle' / 'war of attrition' his first words would be "Did ya, were ya, hmmm, ha, yeah, you were watching it yeah, ah wasn't it great" - before the pr1ck even mentioned that it was Rugby he was on about, all this crap even before he came out with his 'address to the Nation' :D

That was a wonderful read. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭growleaves

Lucian Freud wasn't a great painter though.

Omackeral wrote: »
    That was a wonderful read. Thank you.

Cheers O :)

Going by your previous post I thought you would have disagreed :p Or maybe you did, and just liked the write-up.. :D

Omackeral wrote: »
    If it’s that easy why wouldn’t you just do it yourself? Millions to be made. They’re skilful athletes and to say otherwise is daft or ignorant. Sure snooker is just hitting a ball with a stick. So is hurling.

Theres literally no skill set to it....i seen notable rugby commentators on twitter etc getting excited because an outfield player could kick the ball in a straight line??

Like they undoubtfully try their best and have an great honesty of effort,fairly athletic and likely great fun to play...

But its a terrible spectacle,over hyped,full of buzzwords....and not enjoyable or comparable to other sports to watch

Its a sport for those not good enough to play others and i suppose they should be accomandated too

Theres literally no skill set to it....i seen notable rugby commentators on twitter etc getting excited because an outfield player could kick the ball in a straight line??

Like they undoubtfully try their best and have an great honesty of effort,fairly athletic and likely great fun to play...

But its a terrible spectacle,over hyped,full of buzzwords....and not enjoyable or comparable to other sports to watch

Its a sport for those not good enough to play others and i suppose they should be accomandated too

odd that you watch it then.

Ah I’m sorry but that’s a load of rubbish.

It’s evident from what you’ve said so far that you know very little about rugby and what’s involved in playing it. Or maybe you do know and are just trying to get a rise out of people.

Either way I don’t understand why you see the need to belittle other people’s sports. Maybe you don’t like it but if they do why do you care?

But then I suppose begrudgery always finds it’s place in Ireland..

Im not belittling or begrudging anyone....its just over hyped and not skilful

As i said before,an offload would be known as a pass in any other sport

No journalist asks any qs about the concussion levels at underage,and the semi-regular drug test fails are simply ignored once the goys win

How anyone can watch a rooling maul,im.told the goys are unreal at this??,which is just lads pushing another bloke againest the other team and conclude this is skilful is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Im not belittling or begrudging anyone....its just over hyped and not skilful

As i said before,an offload would be known as a pass in any other sport

No journalist asks any qs about the concussion levels at underage,and the semi-regular drug test fails are simply ignored once the goys win

How anyone can watch a rooling maul,im.told the goys are unreal at this??,which is just lads pushing another bloke againest the other team and conclude this is skilful is beyond me

Have you ever tried it?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Have you ever tried it?

Bits and pieces,nothing serious,years ago abroad,where at least its dry and you wont be rolling around in the mud

Like.they teaching u12 (lad in work kid plays it) how to.fall correctly so as not to get hurt??.....surely they should be teaching skills at that age,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No journalist asks any qs about the concussion levels at underage,
    Like.they teaching u12 (lad in work kid plays it) how to.fall correctly so as not to get hurt??.....surely they should be teaching skills at that age,

I think you answered your own question there. ;)

Advertisement