Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

The Six Nations is a woeful excuse of a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Exactly its a marketing stunt....its no substance to.it.....its skill level is overblown and hyped with buzzwords/nonsense....backed up by a media,which if deosnt engage in the hype is denied access

Noone will ever be able to convince me a rolling maul is a skilful aspect of it......it may be an example of teamwork etc,but technically skilful it is simply not

Its not a snobbery aspect to it,highlighting.team of us,is 80% private schooled is just blowing holes in that marketing nonsense

Its not a safe,nor skilful game,and we shouldnt be encouraging our youth to play it (anyone ovr 18 is their own business tbf)....the media are hyping this up,and young people are headed into a life of injuries,premature retirements and drug taking.....no mind the drinking culture that surronds its supporters at matches

The fact rugby players over last 8 to 10 years suffer injuries that previously were only associated with body building (muscle tearing from.bone etc) isnt be allowed quiered by media (tbf this injury type has started to creep into gaa aswell)....i know people got blocked by irfu for asking it on social media,....surely this should alarm bells ringing

(I hope this answers all quiries etc,il try not reply as much going forward dont wanna be going on and on, annoying people)

Can you name a sample of the drug cheats caught in Rugby. Considering it's riddled in your opinion, a sample of 5 shouldn't be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭cms88

Quazzie wrote: »
    Can you name a sample of the drug cheats caught in Rugby. Considering it's riddled in your opinion, a sample of 5 shouldn't be hard.

Thi enough for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Doping_cases_in_rugby_union

cms88 wrote: »

I don't see a timeframe. But it looks to be 32 cases EVER.

Hardly riddled now is it? :rolleyes:

There are currently approximately 9.6M people playing rugby worldwide. And 32 were caught doping, EVER.

Where anywhere did i say they were caught?

Simply put,they are suffering injuries that up until 8 to 10 years ago were nearly solely injuries that occured in body building

Can you gaurantee,all those who suffer achilles,miscle tearing from bone etc injuries are not related to steroid etc taking??

Its kind of an open secret mate,....like it makes sense to me,folks would 'level up' during off season and even if they are caught,likes of peter omahony,munster (whom are part funded by irfu),will give em a way back into top level and back them to play again

I also read this "article" last night https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40076189.html?type=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Another example.of media backing wrongdoing to stay onside with irfu (also infurinatingly over self important rubbish aswel,but whatever its how the goys roll) , its never going to happen.that the "sport" will be critically anylised here,and we shouldnt encourage our youth to play it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I looked it up there, thought that is my fav Lizzy album!

Then I realised I only have just over half of it on my mp3 player:

"Introduction"/"Rosalie"
    "The Boys Are Back in Town"
    "Emerald"
    "Dancing in the Moonlight (It's Caught Me in Its Spotlight)"
    "Still in Love with You"
    "Don't Believe a Word"

Which is 6 songs out of 11. :o

thin lizzy album production is appalling, i thought live and dangerous brought some ferocity to it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cms88 wrote: »

if you think is rampant wait until you see what it is like in football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Doping_cases_in_association_football

Kinda the leo varadkar defence there,everyone is doing it,so.should i :pac:

Where anywhere did i say they were caught?

Simply put,they are suffering injuries that up until 8 to 10 years ago were nearly solely injuries that occured in body building

Can you gaurantee,all those who suffer achilles,miscle tearing from bone etc injuries are not related to steroid etc taking??

Its kind of an open secret mate,....like it makes sense to me,folks would 'level up' during off season and even if they are caught,likes of peter omahony,munster (whom are part funded by irfu),will give em a way back into top level and back them to play again

I also read this "article" last night https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40076189.html?type=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Another example.of media backing wrongdoing to stay onside with irfu (also infurinatingly over self important rubbish aswel,but whatever its how the goys roll) , its never going to happen.that the "sport" will be critically anylised here,and we shouldnt encourage our youth to play it imo

Ah, so it's a conspiracy theory based on little to no evidence.

That's ok. It's clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The GAA is another where there have been questions about drugs. I know many GAA people won't like mention of it so it is definitely unpopular.

Only one third tested:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/three-quarters-of-gaa-players-never-tested-for-drugs-1.4117333

A Carlow player tested positive for meldonium.The same drug Sharapova (tennis) tested positive for.

https://www.otbsports.com/football/exclusive-carlow-footballer-ray-walker-meldonium-test-1007259

General comment GAA and drug testing:

https://extra.ie/2020/04/27/sport/gaa/gaa-drug-testing

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Ah, so it's a conspiracy theory based on little to no evidence.

That's ok. It's clear now.

Except its not....but sure shelter yourself from reality in what ever way you want

Like i said,can you gaurnatee 100% none of these above listed injuries which have come to prominence in last 8 or so years are non-steroid related??

A substancial list off caught players off wikipedia has already been listed....but like all wrong doing/bad form in media,its dismissed out of hand and laughed off :rolleyes:

Can you honestly say this is a safe sport to be encouraging children to play,??

Can you gaurantee no child will get concussed,or worse in next 5 years playing the game?

We're not good at this game,media hype and buzzword rubbish is induceing children to play a game that is deficit in skills and simply not safe under illusion that ireland are good

We're not good at this game,media hype and buzzword rubbish is induceing children to play a game that is deficit in skills and simply not safe under illusion that ireland are good

I almost agree :D

Agree with most apart from We're not good at this game

Good, I guess is relative - somewhere between average/mediocre and viable contenders for a World Cup semi (which they're not).

I guess they're in and around the World's top ten as often as not - so I guess they are good - but not good enough :pac:

I almost agree :D

Agree with most apart from We're not good at this game

Good, I guess is relative - somewhere between average/mediocre and viable contenders for a World Cup semi (which they're not).

I guess they're in and around the World's top ten as often as not - so I guess they are good - but not good enough :pac:

I always equate world rugby to hurling same amount of competitive teams - roughly 8-10.
    A few developing nations/counties
    I suppose I would equate Ireland's rugby team to Waterford decent in the smaller competitions might win the odd one (Munster/League) - really passionate die hard fans. Enveloped in a culture but never done it on the big stage when the chips were down - World Cup or Liam McCarthy.

It leads me on to another unpopular opinion the Munster Championship in hurling is way over blown by hurling enthusiasts. Even bad games somehow get spun as great advertisements for the game! And the real annoying thing is Leinster is largely ignored until the final most of the time. It is as if Hurling only exists in Munster!
    I suppose it is the same in rugby when Argentina and Japan were assumed to be no hopers. And a lot of the status quo don't like it (deep down) - despite comments about growing the game and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I'd like to see rugby banned and I strongly dislike the sport. I'm not a big fan of GAA but I think football and particularly hurling are very good sports from a skill point of view. Hurling would be up there with cricket as the best sport in the world if it were played internationally.

Also the apple watch should be banned, it ain't a watch!

I always equate world rugby to hurling same amount of competitive teams - roughly 8-10.
    A few developing nations/counties
    I suppose I would equate Ireland's rugby team to Waterford decent in the smaller competitions might win the odd one (Munster/League) - really passionate die hard fans. Enveloped in a culture but never done it on the big stage when the chips were down - World Cup or Liam McCarthy.

It leads me on to another unpopular opinion the Munster Championship in hurling is way over blown by hurling enthusiasts. Even bad games somehow get spun as great advertisements for the game! And the real annoying thing is Leinster is largely ignored until the final most of the time. It is as if Hurling only exists in Munster!
    I suppose it is the same in rugby when Argentina and Japan were assumed to be no hopers. And a lot of the status quo don't like it (deep down) - despite comments about growing the game and so on.

Good anolgy,but waterford have 2 all irelands (and have won competitve knock out matches,unlike irish smugby)

But noone hypes waterford up to be world beaters/all ireland challengers

I see johnny sexton was on apoligising for sulking when being taken off(quality leadership from.the heroic skipper,not captain now,coz yanno everything needs a buzzword in rugby :pac:)....dan shanahan is still slated for doing similar 12 years ago....irish media on sexton = he's just totes passionate about the game,goys

I see johnny sexton was on apoligising for sulking when being taken off(quality leadership from.the heroic skipper,not captain now,coz yanno everything needs a bizzword in rugby :pac:)....dan shanahan is still slated for doing similar 12 years ago....irish media on sexton = he's just totes passionate about the game,goys

I find that a bit cringey tbh, grow up.

I’m sure you wouldn’t like to hear people slagging hurling fans with silly tired stereotypes

I’m sure you wouldn’t like to hear people slagging hurling fans with silly tired stereotypes

Its basically the summery of the examiner article linked earlier??

You can slag hurling fans all you want kid,so long as it stands upto.scrutiny,its no skin off my nose

I assume the poster is young or with a narrow horizon / viewpoint. I used to be the same myself with the inverted snobbery. But I grew up.

It might be unpopular but as long as people are sound and have a bit of "go" in them does not bother me where they come from.

Otherwise it is just for people with prejudices or chips on thier shoulders. Like the fella who sits on the barstool gives out about everything and does nothing

You can slag hurling fans all you want kid,so long as it stands upto.scrutiny,its no skin off my nose

Oh the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 56,377 ✭✭✭✭walshb

nj27 wrote: »
    I'd like to see rugby banned and I strongly dislike the sport. I'm not a big fan of GAA but I think football and particularly hurling are very good sports from a skill point of view. Hurling would be up there with cricket as the best sport in the world if it were played internationally.

Also the apple watch should be banned, it ain't a watch!

I like hurling, but jaysus, do Irish people overdo it with the praise...

Like they have to be seen to think it’s so great and skilful..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The fact that we have two absolute dingbats running for the western worlds most influential political post fills me with dread.

No matter what happens this story is not going to end well for anybody.

At a time when we need real leaders, look at what we have. It's absolutely f*cking terrifying to me that these two gombeen men are in this position and I can't figure out what has gone wrong.

I was thinking about this earlier, i was born 1n 1977. Leaving Jimmy Carter aside, there have been 6 different presidents in my lifetime and I cant name 3 worthy achievements between them in 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The fact that we have two absolute dingbats running for the western worlds most influential political post fills me with dread.

No matter what happens this story is not going to end well for anybody.

At a time when we need real leaders, look at what we have. It's absolutely f*cking terrifying to me that these two gombeen men are in this position and I can't figure out what has gone wrong.

I was thinking about this earlier, i was born 1n 1977. Leaving Jimmy Carter aside, there have been 6 different presidents in my lifetime and I cant name 3 worthy achievements between them in 40 years.

Ronald Reagan was a proper president, statesman and came across as a gentleman (obviously he was hard as nails underneath) - beat the Russians in the Cold War and brought down the Berlin Wall (Worthy Achievement #1?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Suckler

Ronald Reagan was a proper president,

Now there's an unpopular opinion.

Suckler wrote: »
    Now there's an unpopular opinion.

Can you think of a better President in your lifetime?

Ronald Reagan was a proper president, statesman and came across as a gentleman (obviously he was hard as nails underneath) - beat the Russians in the Cold War and brought down the Berlin Wall (Worthy Achievement #1?)

Really?

The Americans seemed to like him - He won in 46 states in 1980, and 49 in 1984.

There haven't been any decent presidents in my lifetime. Ronald Reagan included.

You seem to think that he ended the cold war and brought down the Berlin Wall. I doubt that somehow.

Really?

How do you think it happened?

There haven't been any decent presidents in my lifetime. Ronald Reagan included.

Anyone better than Reagan?

• Advertisement

How do you think it happened?

There was a chain of events set about by the opening of the Iron Curtain.

Advertisement