Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Anyone better than Reagan?

No. Because none of them were any good including reagan himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

There was a chain of events set about by the opening of the Iron Curtain.

I'll be kind, you weren't totally wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

How come we are not hearing about the trillions being made by the billionaires on this planet during the Covid crisis?
    7 of these billionaires’ net worth is up more than 50% since start of the Covid19 pandemic.
    Billionaires' wealth rises to $10.2 trillion since March of this year.

There is something inherently wrong with the planet when this is allowed to happen. Free market or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’ve no really interest in the latest technology.
    My phone and laptop are both a good few years old and my internet might take a few seconds longer than some. I’m not pushed about asking Alexa to turn on a light or play a song either.
    It just does nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Kivaro wrote: »
    How come we are not hearing about the trillions being made by the billionaires on this planet during the Covid crisis?
    7 of these billionaires’ net worth is up more than 50% since start of the Covid19 pandemic.
    Billionaires' wealth rises to $10.2 trillion since March of this year.

There is something inherently wrong with the planet when this is allowed to happen. Free market or not.

Mostly because it's tied to share prices of companies who are ideally positioned to thrive in a socially distanced world (and before going CT, there are just as many high net worth individuals losing their fortune as gaining it at the moment, any magnate in oil, retail or entertainment is probably losing as much as tech companies are gaining).

Because it's tied up in stocks, the wealth isn't something that the "billionaires" have access to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I suspect any man under the age of 30, actually under the age of 40, is going to go "Eewwwww" but for those of us of a more mature persuasion, I reckon this woman would be an actual DEMON between the sheets.

The passion!
    The ecstasy!
    The jumper falling tantalisingly off the shoulder!
    No doubt about it, Paula would give you the ride of your life!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can you think of a better President in your lifetime?

Reagan was an extremely popular President very asute at playing the media game. Even preplanned his one liner jokes. Wrote them himself on cards.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I suspect any man under the age of 30, actually under the age of 40, is going to go "Eewwwww" but for those of us of a more mature persuasion, I reckon this woman would be an actual DEMON between the sheets.

The passion!
    The ecstasy!

No. Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The passion!
    The ecstasy!

Was thinking the same. Definitely need to get out more :D. Probaly the stamina in her hand motion:D

The passion!
    The ecstasy!

I'm in my mid 20s...meh I'd go for it sure

• Advertisement

I'm in my mid 20s...meh I'd go for it sure

Calling all cougars!! Calling all cougars!!

Some fresh meat for ye, right here :)

I’ve no really interest in the latest technology.
    My phone and laptop are both a good few years old and my internet might take a few seconds longer than some. I’m not pushed about asking Alexa to turn on a light or play a song either.
    It just does nothing for me.

Dead right fresh! :)

Same here. And to hell with Alexa, and every single app out there. Tis enough that Go Ogle has a handle on all our Tinterweb activities :( , but to the average non-savvy Joe, it's the only real option.

Be damned if I'm willingly going to have more eyes on me, with all the third parties, cookies, and whatnot.

"Nothing to hide" :D , as they say. Do those same folk disclose their bank account balance, medical issues etc to every Tom , Dick, and Harry - do they fuq :pac: But somehow they trust 'the system' not to screw them in the ahhss :P

In case no one else has mentioned it, I'll be the first - to say congrats on your 'voluntary demotion :D ' . Too much hassle being a mod. You was one of the better ones.

Reagan was an extremely popular President very asute at playing the media game. Even preplanned his one liner jokes. Wrote them himself on cards.

You can Youtube 'Reagan humour' and there are compilations of his jokes and one liners - when you compare his wit and intelligence with todays offerings there is a wide chasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The Americans seemed to like him - He won in 46 states in 1980, and 49 in 1984.

Yet in 1980, he got pretty much the exact same % of the popular vote Biden got last week.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Yet in 1980, he got pretty much the exact same % of the popular vote Biden got last week.

Biden won by 4%. Reagan won by 10% - huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I’m not pushed about asking Alexa to turn on a light or play a song either.

I swore i'd never pay for music again about 10 years ago, downloaded tons of shít stuck it on my ipod - that's me sorted forever.....until google home (and more recently Alexa) entered my house, alexa play...I feel like Jean Luc Picard - well worth a tenner a month or whatever it is to spotify. Plus my kids can use it, which they couldn't really with an Ipod.

That being said, it usually some shít like "Alexa, play the poo poo song" or "Alexa, is google your girlfriend" the novelty of which has long since worn off for me, but they still seem to get a buzz out of it!

...and in 1984 Reagan won the popular vote by a whopping 18%.
    They liked his small government policy.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'" - R. Reagan

Pity we can't have some of those ideas around here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

...and in 1984 Reagan won the popular vote by a whopping 18%.
    They liked his small government policy.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'" - R. Reagan

Pity we can't have some of those ideas around here now.

Raegan was the greatest of modern US presidents. His second term he would have had every single EC vote were it not for a few thousand votes.

Definitely hope the GOP can find somebody as charismatic, economically focussed, effective and presidential as him in the future

The passion!
    The ecstasy!

And that's just the TIP OF THE ICEBERG on YouTube, dear thread followers.

: Look Up Dr Taylor Marshall on this platform

This man is in the midst of Marshalling the troops. It's not over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I didn't refer to how much he won by

I refereed to how much he got

• Advertisement

Raegan was the greatest of modern US presidents. His second term he would have had every single EC vote were it not for a few thousand votes.

Definitely hope the GOP can find somebody as charismatic, economically focussed, effective and presidential as him in the future

Trumpism.is the way forward for the GOP surely??

Trump.polled unreal well,and this election is far far from a rejection of him(this has been glossed over by almost all commentators)

.....surely all.they need is put a dipsh1t like trump.as vice-president,while someome who seems reasonable as main canditadte to win back some urban votes

(I say this as someone,who even dislikes all us/trump.politics,even likely diagree with what yous support,but that seems an obvious path to success?)

And that's just the TIP OF THE ICEBERG on YouTube, dear thread followers.

: Look Up Dr Taylor Marshall on this platform

This man is in the midst of Marshalling the troops. It's not over.

I just looked at that site, so you all don't have to.
    Wouldn't recommend it. He spends a lot of time saying pretty much nothing. And of course, no statements have any factual evidence to back them up. "If you disallow all the votes from Pennsylvania that were for Biden, Trump wins!" Duh!!!

Also spends a lot of time telling you NOT to believe the mainstream media before predicting how it will go to the supreme court and Amy Coney Barrett will rule for Trump giving him the election. Here's where I think he's wrong: I don't think Judge Barrett will be the stooge the generally liberal media think she will be. She's a highly intelligent, highly proficient jurist. I think (if it goes anywhere near the Supreme Court which I suspect it won't) she will follow the rule of law, not the fantasy of conspiracy theorists.

Anyway all of this misses the real point which was not WHAT preacher White says but how she says it and how the evidence points to the fact that she would be one hell of a bedspring bouncer!!!

Not getting any of that watching "Dr" Marshall :)

Trumpism.is the way forward for the GOP surely??

Trump.polled unreal well,and this election is far far from a rejection of him(this has been glossed over by almost all commentators)

.....surely all.they need is put a dipsh1t like trump.as vice-president,while someome who seems reasonable as main canditadte to win back some urban votes

(I say this as someone,who even dislikes all us/trump.politics,even likely diagree with what yous support,but that seems an obvious path to success?)

I think 'trumpism' as you refer has numerous elements.

1) a focus on economics , lower taxes, more jobs - this is the Reagan playbook all over
    2) charisma and a use of humour - yet again from the Reagan playbook, executed poorly however, but he did have somewhat of a cult of personality.
    3) 'drain the swamp' - a dumbed down, nuanced version of raegans small government 'the government is not here to help'
    4) appealing to the middle / southern America fringe, gun rights, forklift drivers etc... - thats trumps own deal, he was the politician that spoke like your uncle from Texas but got his American dream and became rich etc... this one is completely trumpism
    5) the disagreeable part where people believe he's a racist/whateverist, definitely got people behind and against him, but enough behind.

trump is kind of that difficult second album for the GOP after Reagan. Everyone else in between was kind of a tempered lounge jazz set waiting for the show to start again.

I think 'trumpism' as you refer has numerous elements.

1) a focus on economics , lower taxes, more jobs - this is the Reagan playbook all over
    2) charisma and a use of humour - yet again from the Reagan playbook, executed poorly however, but he did have somewhat of a cult of personality.
    3) 'drain the swamp' - a dumbed down, nuanced version of raegans small government 'the government is not here to help'
    4) appealing to the middle / southern America fringe, gun rights, forklift drivers etc... - thats trumps own deal, he was the politician that spoke like your uncle from Texas but got his American dream and became rich etc... this one is completely trumpism
    5) the disagreeable part where people believe he's a racist/whateverist, definitely got people behind and against him, but enough behind.

trump is kind of that difficult second album for the GOP after Reagan. Everyone else in between was kind of a tempered lounge jazz set waiting for the show to start again.

Reagan would have hated trump and be ashamed of what the GOP has become

I agree, but he would have hated most things about modern US politics and the behaviour of people on both sides. in a strange way Id imagine he's glad to be dead to not have to witness what 'issues' are important to voters, what both sides are promising and whats considered 'morally acceptable' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't think so.

Most of the rest of the GOP are ok with it.

Not that the left is perfect.

I don't think so.

Most of the rest of the GOP are ok with it.

Not that the left is perfect.

the GOP of today is not the GOP of 30 years ago. or even 20 years ago.

Back to unpopular opinions:

Johnny Rotten is a twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ronald Reagan was a proper president, statesman and came across as a gentleman (obviously he was hard as nails underneath) - beat the Russians in the Cold War and brought down the Berlin Wall (Worthy Achievement #1?)

greatest american president since FDR and certainly none since came close

he was the quintessential american , might explain why his popularity did not translate overseas , he was wildly popular in america as no president embodied the american character more than reagan , im not saying thats an exclusively good thing but its how it was

reagan made americans feel optimistic in the way only they can , its often very annoying but its real , he was an economic reformer as well as believing the soviets must be beaten rather than contained , all while being much more likeable than Mrs Thatcher who policy wise was quite similar to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There was a chain of events set about by the opening of the Iron Curtain.

reagan beefed up the military , thus forcing the soviets to do the same and with the collapse in oil prices in the 1980, , they couldnt afford to match the U.S , Reagan was in power four years before gorbachev came to power , gorbachev didnt set out to bring about the end of his own country but once he allowed degrees of freedom , the entire prison state which existed before that crumbled

the shift in policy however which came about under reagan was a major factor , nobody in 1980 saw the soviet union being all but gone by 1990

Advertisement