Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You can Youtube 'Reagan humour' and there are compilations of his jokes and one liners - when you compare his wit and intelligence with todays offerings there is a wide chasm.

any man who utters the following while on the operating table with a bullet in his belly is high on wit

" i just hope none of you doctors are democrats ? "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    any man who utters the following while on the operating table with a bullet in his belly is high on wit

" i just hope none of you doctors are democrats ? "

Also, this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I love listening to radio and podcasts and have recently stopped listening to all Irish radio stations and switched to stations in other countries because 50% of Irish radio is about sports.

I don't give two ****s about ANY sport and it should be restricted to sports stations.

There are a huge amount of people in Ireland who couldn't care less!

UK radio does it so much better. If you want to hear about sports you tune into the sports station.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I love listening to radio and podcasts and have recently stopped listening to all Irish radio stations and switched to stations in other countries because 50% of Irish radio is about sports.

I don't give two ****s about ANY sport and it should be restricted to sports stations.

UK radio does it so much better. If you want to hear about sports you tune into the sports station.

absolutely +1 . Even business podcasts devolving into discussing the f*cking hurling.

I would adore just one Irish news outlet or service or even a good current affairs podcast that doesn't for one second discuss the GAA, soccer or rugby.

and I say this as someone who will watch the rugby occasionally and who watches darts. But the saddest thing about most people is their entire personality revolves around discussing sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pinkyeye wrote: »

Agree.
    Huge tracts of radio are taken over by sports at the weekend bar Lyric FM.

A lot of it isn't even informative or anything, just shyteing on and on, like pub talk. Yakking before the match and yakking after it, I don't get it.
    If it were any other subject that was talked about and regurgitated obsessively people involved would be branded as anoraks, perhaps on the spectrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't think so.

Most of the rest of the GOP are ok with it.

Not that the left is perfect.

No. I don't think the GOP of old, as in WW2 vet vintage, would have appreciated Trump's crassness, pettiness under scrutiny and all round unpresidential and ungentlemanly behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Back to unpopular opinions:

Johnny Rotten is a twat!

Plus he walked out of the jungle early as well. Is punk just being contrary for the sake of it?
    If so plenty of auld wans and auld fellas in thier 80's must be punk and not even know it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Plus he walked out of the jungle early as well. Is punk just being contrary for the sake of it?
    If so plenty of auld wans and auld fellas in thier 80's must be punk and not even know it.

Nah with what he’s going through with the lovely Nora at the minute I’d cut the old bugger a load of slack,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Nah with what he’s going through with the lovely Nora at the minute I’d cut the old bugger a load of slack,

He's been an a**ehole long before Nora took ill.

He's also super conservative these days- big fan of Brexit and Trump.

Turns out he's just a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

absolutely +1 . Even business podcasts devolving into discussing the f*cking hurling.

I would adore just one Irish news outlet or service or even a good current affairs podcast that doesn't for one second discuss the GAA, soccer or rugby.

and I say this as someone who will watch the rugby occasionally and who watches darts. But the saddest thing about most people is their entire personality revolves around discussing sports.

check out " The Right Side "

its a current affairs discussion from a conservative viewpoint , both guys are irish , Gary Kavanagh and Michael Dwyer , they are quite sardonic and sly in their commentary , quite tongue in cheek if a little smug perhaps

better than the usual humourless pontificating from the likes of tortoise shack or the countless other leftist podcasts

• Advertisement

He's been an a**ehole long before Nora took ill.

He's also super conservative these days- big fan of Brexit and Trump.

Turns out he's just a knob.

He is entitled to be as conservative as he likes. Contrary to popular opinion on boards.ie being conservative is not akin to an abhorrent crime.
    Probably an unpopular opinion.

Also there are degrees of conservatism on some issues and not others etc. Plus degrees of conservatism within xyz issue.

It is just Lydon's whole 'look at me' antics that annoy me. I suppose he never grew up and looks for the wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think George Clarke, the chairman of the English FA, was hard done by today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54894864

I think its unfair to expect people of a certain age to always know the correct term to use when describing people not of their ethnic background. His main crime was calling 'black' players 'coloured'. But even I remember a time when they were called that instead of black.

Even the OH when the news story came on BBC tonight was shocked to hear that he had been sacked for such an offence. The piece opened with how he had used an offensive term for black players, she said she assumed he had used the N-word.

He also said that the FAs IT department had more Asian than AfroCaribbean staff because Asians follow that line of work more. Again probably a truth, or from what he sees anyway. But again, how offensive is it?

That piece I linked to starts with "Warning: This report contains offensive language."
    Does it really?

I know I will be told I am a white man of privilege and wouldn't understand the hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

NIMAN wrote: »

I think its unfair to expect people of a certain age to always know the correct term to use when describing people not of their ethnic background. His main crime was calling 'black' players 'coloured'. But even I remember a time when they were called that instead of black.

Even the OH when the news story came on BBC tonight was shocked to hear that he had been sacked for such an offence. The piece opened with how he had usual an offensive term for black players, she said she assumed he had used the N-word.

He also said that the FAs IT department had more Asian than AfroCaribbean staff because Asians follow that line of work more. Again probably a truth, or from what he sees anyway. But again, how offensive is it?

That piece I linked to starts with "Warning: This report contains offensive language."
    Does it really?

I know I will be told I am a white man of privilege and wouldn't understand the hurt.

That's not an unpopular opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The remark he made about young girls who want to play football needing to have a mom with a car was another one he came out with.

He appeared to go on a rambling spree and his apology letter said he was going to quit anyway so probably no loss to the organisation seeing as he can't even be diplomatic enough not to make sweeping generalisations and stereotype people in remarks that weren't even necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Almost as sad as calling someone else sad becasue they're interested in something you're not....

cms88 wrote: »
    Almost as sad as calling someone else sad becasue they're interested in something you're not....

Completely!!!!

I once had a 2-3 minute chat with a colleague about football. Both interested, no one else involved but this wagon heard 10 seconds while she waited for a lift. Said “you’re both so boring to be able to talk “kickball” (her word) for hours!!!”

Wasn’t happy when I reminded her she’d gone round everyone in the office for an hour showing pictures of her wedding shoes. Half of which a drunk drag queen would turn her nose up at!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Completely!!!!

I once had a 2-3 minute chat with a colleague about football. Both interested, no one else involved but this wagon heard 10 seconds while she waited for a lift. Said “you’re both so boring to be able to talk “kickball” (her word) for hours!!!”

Wasn’t happy when I reminded her she’d gone round everyone in the office for an hour showing pictures of her wedding shoes. Half of which a drunk drag queen would turn her nose up at!

I do think that irony is lost on women that complain about lads being boring for following sport. Especially when you consider that the biggest viewership of low-brow television, such as soap operas, x-factor (and every other 'talent show'), Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Love Island etc. are women.

I would actually surmise that men are far more interesting when it comes to television, even if the majority of their tv schedule is sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's not his dutiful and loving attitude to his ailing wife that I'm concerned with. Nobody is all bad.

It's the incessant "I'm working class, inn' I?" (he's actually a wealthy artsy fartsy cultural entrepreneur and property owner, if you want to look at it from another angle) who bases his entire outlook on his identification with that nebulous term ("Identity Politics" or what?) and then cosies up to the archetype of the smug pompous middle-class Home Counties wanker that is Nigel Farage.
    Consistency? I don't think so.

A good husband but otherwise a twat.

I do think that irony is lost on women that complain about lads being boring for following sport. Especially when you consider that the biggest viewership of low-brow television, such as soap operas, x-factor (and every other 'talent show'), Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Love Island etc. are women.

I would actually surmise that men are far more interesting when it comes to television, even if the majority of their tv schedule is sport.

Yeah most fellas like sport/history/technology/science/cars - motorsport would hard pressed to find a man who does not have an interest in at least one of those broad subjects.

Factual stuff. You can even see it in the books preferred by women. Littered with fictional books romantic novels. The books fellas read sports biographies and history etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Half of which a drunk drag queen would turn her his nose up at!

Let's be really pedantic, in the cause of being unpopular :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've absolutely no issue with Trump not conceding the election while votes are still being counted. Due process is there for a reason. Al Gore didnt concede in 2000 and I dont remember there being much of a fuss.

I'm young enough to remember Hillary Clinton telling Biden not to concede "no matter what" a few months ago.

Let's be really pedantic, in the cause of being unpopular :)

Keeping me honest thank you!!!

keano_afc wrote: »
    I've absolutely no issue with Trump not conceding the election while votes are still being counted. Due process is there for a reason. Al Gore didnt concede in 2000 and I dont remember there being much of a fuss.

I'm young enough to remember Hillary Clinton telling Biden not to concede "no matter what" a few months ago.

:D That's funny...... I'm a gonna rob that one first chance I get, before I get much older :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

keano_afc wrote: »
    I've absolutely no issue with Trump not conceding the election while votes are still being counted

He literally went to court to stop them being counted though

GiftofGab wrote: »
    That's not an unpopular opinion.

Then why has been forced out of a job in supposed "disgrace"?

If that's no an unpopular opinion, then it would make it a popular opinion.

If it's popular, then that would mean the BBC would characterise the majority of the population as being racist.

Personally I think it's the latest example of a pathological political correctness in the English speaking world. This is why people vote for the Trumps of the world. People just want somebody to puncture this nonsense and speak plain sense for a change.

Even the OH when the news story came on BBC tonight was shocked to hear that he had been sacked for such an offence. The piece opened with how he had used an offensive term for black players, she said she assumed he had used the N-word.

Does it really?

It seems like the "rules" of this are being made up on the hoof. "People of colour" = Good. "Coloured people" = Bad.

The FA should be embarassed. I don't know why he apologised. He should be suing his employer for unfair dismissal.

I feel like this PC nonsense is veering into dangerous territory these days. Institutions need to stop cowering and be willing to stand up to the outrage mobs for "wrongspeak". I wish people in positions of power would take a stand and say "enough".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Then why has been forced out of a job in supposed "disgrace"?

If that's no an unpopular opinion, then it would make it a popular opinion.

If it's popular, then that would mean the BBC would characterise the majority of the population as being racist.

Personally I think it's the latest example of a pathological political correctness in the English speaking world. This is why people vote for the Trumps of the world. People just want somebody to puncture this nonsense and speak plain sense for a change.

THis is not a slip of the tongue. THe man is a dinosaur and has no place in the FA. He has called racism in football fluff previously and three years ago - in front of a parliamentary committee, Greg Clarke was criticised for referring to institutional racism as "fluff". He apologised after being chastised by MPs and reminded that language matters. He is a has been. It was not simply making a mistake. He constantly put down minorities and continued to discuss them in derogotory terms. Is that unpopular?

Does it really?

So it is the saying of 'coloured footballers' that got him in trouble? In it's context I don't think he meant any harm. Plus he is an older gent. My mother still says things like a 'coloured fellow'.

It seems to be that language and what is acceptable is evolving very fast. Now 'person of colour' is the de rigueur phrase for non-whites.

Yet somehow saying 'coloured people' is wrong and saying 'person of colour' is perfectly acceptable. :confused:

Hard to keep up with all the nuances, no wonder older people struggle.

So it is the saying of 'coloured footballers' that got him in trouble? In it's context I don't think he meant any harm. Plus he is an older gent. My mother still says things like a 'coloured fellow'.

It seems to be that language and what is acceptable is evolving very fast. Now 'person of colour' is the de rigueur phrase for non-whites.

Yet somehow saying 'coloured people' is wrong and saying 'person of colour' is perfectly acceptable. :confused:

Hard to keep up with all the nuances, no wonder older people struggle.

did you reqd the article? Because you missed 99% of it. He has a long history of using offensive, archaic and downright derogotory language. if he wants to continue that, let him do so not as chair of a football association who wants to move forward. Anyone who continues to believe that institutional racism is fluff and being gay is a life choice, shouldn't be in a position of authority.

• Advertisement

spook_cook wrote: »
    It really is. You'd have to be an idiot to play along with their games.

Yeah, rules like don't be a racist and homophobe. Anyone who is defending him is equally culpable.

Advertisement