Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Your Face wrote: »
    Two friends of mine got infected by Wokeism.

They have become very hard to talk to.

shes friends ( pre us meeting ) with insufferable WOKE types , i suspect she added that stuff to her profile to appear decent to them

disappointed me

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    my fiance and i had a small arguement the other day , checked out her Twitter account and noticed she has pronouns in her bio which is a recent addition , i told her i didnt realise she was into virtue signalling online

cant deny it irked me an awful lot , didnt mention it since though , shes not a hardcore feminist and not really political at all but does tend to get on board with shallow online gesturing

aw no

Anytime I seen anyone with pronouns in their bio I can't help but think what an insufferable c*nt they must be

gary550 wrote: »
    aw no

Anytime I seen anyone with pronouns in their bio I can't help but think what an insufferable c*nt they must be

me too , hence the disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gary550 wrote: »
    aw no

The Microsoft email signature templates have them which is weird

Your Face wrote: »
    Two friends of mine got infected by Wokeism.

They have become very hard to talk to.

This happened to a friend and his gf around 2016-2018 and they drove all their old friends away and got ensnared in a new group. Thankfully they've largely dropped it and are slowly getting their old normal friends back. We didn't talk for ages after a falling out over the Vegas shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Attack the opinion, not the poster for having that opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I might be a bit behind the curve here but what are pronouns in a bio

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The average irish woman is not in the same league as those latina beauties, indian women, eastern european women.
    Well that's a broad statement indeed. For a start you're talking about massive populations compared to Ireland. I mean a city like Paris on its own has around half the population of Ireland. So you get higher numbers of striking women but also higher numbers of well... bless, but the vast majority of women(and men) are average beyond the exotic factor.

The exotic is all very well, but that and media representation and subjective selection is what we're talking about here. If you believe [insert nationality here] are gorgeous and [insert nationality here] are uneasy on the eye well then that's what you'll see. Observer bias and all that. The same generally goes for national characters too, though cultural differences can be at play here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The average irish woman is not in the same league as those latina beauties, indian women, eastern european women.

Us Irish men on average are not much better than our counterparts from other parts of the world.

Rubbish, you can't beat a terrific Irish woman

Just look at Jean Byrne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well that's a broad statement indeed. For a start you're talking about massive populations compared to Ireland. I mean a city like Paris on its own has around half the population of Ireland. So you get higher numbers of striking women but also higher numbers of well... bless, but the vast majority of women(and men) are average beyond the exotic factor.

The exotic is all very well, but that and media representation and subjective selection is what we're talking about here. If you believe [insert nationality here] are gorgeous and [insert nationality here] are uneasy on the eye well then that's what you'll see. Observer bias and all that. The same generally goes for national characters too, though cultural differences can be at play here.

Its not just my belief, It is also my preference.
    I have in my younger years I have went out with spanish, french etc.

I dont hate Irish women, my mum, sister etc are Irish, some wonderful Irish ladies, but I find the foreign women are nicer looking on average, better attitude, and dont possess that Irish pub mentality for example.
    My wife is not Irish either.

Not a fan of asian women or african women,in general, of course there are always exceptions and before someone tries to claim that is some form of racism, its a case of they are not my sexual preference in general. Sexual preference cannot be a racial thing.
    I dont find men sexually attractive that dont make me sexist.
    Its also more than a visual thing, attitudes can be different.

and before any Irish women get over sensitive, I am sure many Irish women like african men, some like the dark latino type,

people should not be confined to only like those in their own demographic or whatever its called.

I prefer dark latina, indian, Meditteranean looks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Its not just my belief, It is also my preference.
    I have in my younger years I have went out with spanish, french etc.

I dont hate Irish women, my mum, sister etc are Irish, some wonderful Irish ladies, but I find the foreign women are nicer looking on average, better attitude, and dont possess that Irish pub mentality for example.
    My wife is not Irish either.

Not a fan of asian women or african women,in general, of course there are always exceptions and before someone tries to claim that is some form of racism, its a case of they are not my sexual preference in general. Sexual preference cannot be a racial thing.
    I dont find men sexually attractive that dont make me sexist.
    Its also more than a visual thing, attitudes can be different.

and before any Irish women get over sensitive, I am sure many Irish women like african men, some like the dark latino type,

people should not be confined to only like those in their own demographic or whatever its called.

I prefer dark latina, indian, Meditteranean looks

Can. Open. Worms. EVERYWHERE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Can. Open. Worms. EVERYWHERE :D

In the Unpopular Opinions thread? I’d say Justin’s opinion fits in rather neatly, it’s unpopular as in there aren’t that many people who share that opinion, all evidence suggests people prefer to pair off with people who share similar outlook on life and similar demographics, and ethic mixing would still be something of a rarity in reality, while the faraway hills are greener :D

Speaking of grass, I prefer grass on the pitch than not. Though I’m not sure that’s an unpopular opinion, probably depends upon age demographics than ethnicity...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

There's a 17-story apartment block due to get built in Waterford. They think finance professionals will be living there paying high rents. What will happen is it will be full of asylum seekers and homeless families.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

There's far too much talk about sex/gender/pay gaps in the media.

Should all just be scrapped.

So long as nobody is discriminated against in any way, the sexes will find their own level.
    That is, most primary school teachers will be women (great leave and time off for kids). Most brickies will be men. Most bin collectors will be men. Most pilots will be men. Most nurses will be women.

Nobody should be excluded based on gender/sex but ability to do the job should be the only criterion needed.
    And the gardai should have one physical test for all candidates. Should scrap the easier one for females.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

People saying this ignore the average latinas, indians, eastern eurpoeans etc. I think we see more of the beautiful women on media which distorts the picture. In reality there's a wide range of beauty in all ethnicities and probably little difference between them. And the same for men.

I think youre correct, but arguably theres a massive media difference. Other countries however I think have much better taste. I mean look at the irish women that media outlets put up there as ‘attractive’ maura higgins, vogue williams etc.. vile creatures made of plastic with hardly a braincell between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Having bad anxiety is a serous thing however some people say they suffer from it when they are just a little nervous/shy about a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Having bad anxiety is a serous thing however some people say they suffer from it when they are just a little nervous/shy about a situation.

Absolutely. If the amount of women in their teens and 20s who claimed to have anxiety was actually true then we’d have a serious epidemic on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

That's so true, so many birds I've talked to who are in their 20s or 30s all claim to have anxiety.

All these anxious people are just mentally weak.

Toughen the fxxk up.

Watched the Famine documentary lately. Now those people had reason to be anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People would be much healthier if they just got out and walked instead of getting into their cars, driving to a viewing point, sitting there looking out and then driving home again.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    All these anxious people are just mentally weak.

Toughen the fxxk up.

Watched the Famine documentary lately. Now those people had reason to be anxious.

I sometimes wonder how we would have coped with an actual war or famine or plague, when I see the amount of people going on about how restrictions affected their mental health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Antares35 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder how we would have coped with an actual war or famine or plague, when I see the amount of people going on about how restrictions affected their mental health.

in world war one and two, people were asked to give their lives to fight, and millions died.

Today we have people crying cos they cannot go for a pint and how awful their life is now.

Selfish people who care little for others, or else too dense to comprehend what a pandemic is, and have absolutely no idea what sacrifice is.

My unpopular opinion is that slimming clubs are a waste of time for a lot of people. Be fine if you joined, lost the weight, then left, but there's so many people who just seem to have a lifetime membership, gaining and losing the same two stone on a loop. Usually the same ones who feel the need to comment on what other people are eating and tell them how many "syns" are in everything and make a point of saying "I can't, I'm trying to be good". Food doesn't make you good or bad, it's there to sustain and nourish us, and isn't the enemy.

For as long as I can remember, my mother has been in WW, even bringing me along to her classes when I was a kid. She's 70 now and still on slimming world, still talking about losing the same two stone she's been up and down the last three decades.

Also, most of their "plans" are just a variation on a theme of common sense and moderation.

People aren't taught to cope.
    They're taught to indulge their 'anxiety'.

Many of the problems in society now and for the future start in schools.
    Who made teachers educational psychologists?
    Who said they can poision children's minds to serve the transgender agenda?

There has been a solid upsurge in the printed news and media as well as online of "feel good positive news stories" on account of the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My unpopular opinion is that slimming clubs are a waste of time for a lot of people. Be fine if you joined, lost the weight, then left, but there's so many people who just seem to have a lifetime membership, gaining and losing the same two stone on a loop. Usually the same ones who feel the need to comment on what other people are eating and tell them how many "syns" are in everything and make a point of saying "I can't, I'm trying to be good". Food doesn't make you good or bad, it's there to sustain and nourish us, and isn't the enemy.

For as long as I can remember, my mother has been in WW, even bringing me along to her classes when I was a kid. She's 70 now and still on slimming world, still talking about losing the same two stone she's been up and down the last three decades.

Also, most of their "plans" are just a variation on a theme of common sense and moderation.

My wife joined for a few months after our 2nd child to support her buddy. Honestly my wife did not need to go and after a few weeks so was roped into helping out with the admin side so she stuck with it purely for that and she enjoyed the social aspect. She wasnt even weighed anymore as she was the skinniest person in the room. So I heard a lot of the stories etc and the whole 'syns' diary etc etc.

While of course it can work for some people what I found was that there is no basic analysis of food or the macros.

Personally I am involved in long distance endurance running- marathons upwards so I have a good understanding of sports nutrition and foods generally in order to reach race weight. If I want to lose say, 3-4 lbs I can do that in a week no problem. After Christmas I was 11 stone 10- said to wife "No problem. I will be down to 11 stone even by end of February." Of course I was. But then I see women in WW killing and torturing themselves to lose say, 1lb....!

Fair enough I have the motivation to do it but what seems to be fundamentally missing is a lack of basic knowledge of the macros and food i.e. learn about protein, carbs and healthy fats. That is all you need to start with and then build from there.

If you do not understand food and nutrients you are just trapped in a mindless cycle of loss and gain or else you are just a greedy bastard who can't stay away from the pies.

While no doubt it works for a lot of people, the fundamental problem I see with WW is that the basic premise is "You can eat what you want as long as you stay under a certain number of syns". That does not educate and you are still eating the same crap- just sets targets to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

in world war one and two, people were asked to give their lives to fight, and millions died.

Today we have people crying cos they cannot go for a pint and how awful their life is now.

Selfish people who care little for others, or else too dense to comprehend what a pandemic is, and have absolutely no idea what sacrifice is.

We have become to soft,

Life is hard no matter who you are or how successful you are , its simply a part of life,

Every single person who has ever lived on earth has gone through tough times and hardship ,

Every person who ever lives has suffered anxiety its just a feeling like being happy or sad ,

I truly believe we are giving people to many excuses and options to opt out of life, to many avenues for people to" say oh look at my life poor me" We all feel like that every single one of us , You just gotta keep on going

I understood this has happened because we have tried to protect people , but in trying to do good we have opened the door for more people to take the easy way out, Its actually become acceptable and part of life for people to give up on life now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Maybe another world war is in order to toughen a few lads up...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    my fiance and i had a small arguement the other day , checked out her Twitter account and noticed she has pronouns in her bio which is a recent addition , i told her i didnt realise she was into virtue signalling online

cant deny it irked me an awful lot , didnt mention it since though , shes not a hardcore feminist and not really political at all but does tend to get on board with shallow online gesturing

Ridicule her for her nativity and if she doesn’t cope on, dump her. Not worth going out for a fool who will embarrass you. Just as well you nippped that in the bud now rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Maybe another world war is in order to toughen a few lads up...:rolleyes:

Not a bad idea , will give the peasant class something to do. Problem is, they would rather send in drones instead. More dependable

Advertisement