Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I can't remember the exact words she said but that time Joan Burton made a comment about people having ''expensive phones'' and them basically whining about having no money. Well I sort of agree with her.

Her comment related to their phones having cameras. A standard feature on almost every phone nowadays, regardless of price. I doubt that Joan Burton has the ability to tell the difference between an expensive phone and a bog-standard smart phone. It was a cheap dig aimed towards people who live in the kind of areas that used to vote for Labour, but now vote for Sinn Féin and left-wing parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I can't remember the exact words she said but that time Joan Burton made a comment about people having ''expensive phones'' and them basically whining about having no money. Well I sort of agree with her.

Doesn't follow that they bought the phone outright though. But a phone is fairly small beer in the scheme of things, it's not like you were fcuking away half your pay packet on the gee gees every week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

People who over humanise pets a grieve like they lost a human need help

And I love animals

I have been lucky enough in life that the only people I lost that truly affected me were my mum, a few months back, and a life long friend.
    Outside of them obviously , not a single human that has ever existed that has since passed, were more important to me than my dogs.

Thing is I prefer my dogs and animals to most humans, to rip of George Carlin, you wont see a dog come home from the pub and beat the wife, nor see a dog molest a kid, waterboard another dog, etc, we humans are far worse to each other.

We humans are supposedly the smartest species but times I seriously doubt it.

I have said this before and mean every word of it, if i was on a sinking boat with my dog and there was only 2 seats available on a life raft, my dog and I are getting it, women, children, cripples, old farts etc can die, my dog is more important, its as simple as that, and if that is unpopular, or makes me sound deranged, that is ok, I am comfortable with that.

In fact I take pride in that. :D

In fact I take pride in that. :D

I really wouldn't. I wonder how you'd feel if your life long friend was let die so a dog could be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

The nonsense over special needs children having to go back to school and putting teachers at risk however small shouldn't even be considered, if you've a special needs child you have my sympathies but asking someone else to put themselves in harms way for your children is not on, we are all affected in some way and these parents (specifically the ones being forced on us on RTE news) should stop calling for teachers to be brought back just for their children, my heart goes out to you in what must be very tough situations but the responsibility for your child is ultimately you until this pandemic becomes more manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The nonsense over special needs children having to go back to school and putting teachers at risk however small shouldn't even be considered, if you've a special needs child you have my sympathies but asking someone else to put themselves in harms way for your children is not on, we are all affected in some way and these parents (specifically the ones being forced on us on RTE news) should stop calling for teachers to be brought back just for their children, my heart goes out to you in what must be very tough situations but the responsibility for your child is ultimately you until this pandemic becomes more manageable.

Their needs are never truly met, no wonder parents are pushing this

I really wouldn't. I wonder how you'd feel if your life long friend was let die so a dog could be saved.

complete hypothetical nonsense that would never happen, and only said because you might not agree with my opinion.

Maybe in your zest to reply you completely ignored what i actually said, I clearly said "MY DOG" not any dog. There is a difference.

I would help a human over a dog 9 times out of ten, unless the human was a rapist murderer,drug dealer, etc and in that case the lifeboat seat goes to a dog and the human die for all I care.

But my dog, takes priority over every human on the planet outside of my family and most of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Their needs are never truly met, no wonder parents are pushing this

I agree they are always on the back foot trying to get services but now is not the time to put teachers and sna's at risk needlessly

I agree they are always on the back foot trying to get services but now is not the time to put teachers and sna's at risk needlessly

Unfortunately when you're in desperation, you 'll try anything and everything, but I do see your point, maybe if they were offered professional support, but you d have to wonder, does that even exist in this country

complete hypothetical nonsense that would never happen, and only said because you might not agree with my opinion.

Maybe in your zest to reply you completely ignored what i actually said, I clearly said "MY DOG" not any dog. There is a difference.

I would help a human over a dog 9 times out of ten, unless the human was a rapist murderer,drug dealer, etc and in that case the lifeboat seat goes to a dog and the human die for all I care.

But my dog, takes priority over every human on the planet outside of my family and most of my friends.

I don't think you should refer to people as friends if you would save your dog instead of them.

Frankly, it isn't an unpopular opinion you have. It's a mental disorder.

• Advertisement

I don't think you should refer to people as friends if you would save your dog instead of them.

Frankly, it isn't an unpopular opinion you have. It's a mental disorder.

resorting to name calling because you do not like my unpopular opinion in a ...wait for it...unpopular opinions thread, says more about your mental state.

I did not realize me caring for my dog more than strangers would or could upset a supposed grown adult on the internet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

zGHQb4O.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Surely you can understand though that everyone else on that boat would be willing to shoot your dog in the head to save 1 more person.

resorting to name calling because you do not like my unpopular opinion in a ...wait for it...unpopular opinions thread, says more about your mental state.

I did not realize me caring for my dog more than strangers would or could upset a supposed grown adult on the internet.....

What you're stating isn't an opinion. You've even clarified this by saying that it's not all dogs, just yours. So what you're stating is a preference.

And I'm not name-calling. Your complete lack of empathy for people you don't directly love, and describing the actual scenario you would willingly let a child die in, and saying that you would let some of your friends die, would put you on some spectrum of psychopath or sociopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

While i have little systempay for teachers most of the time, i do agree with you on some the parents with special needs. I've head some say how they've been telling the children wh many days before they wer back etc and how upset the children will now be. Well maybe they shouldn't have got their hopes up when there was always a good chance that the schools wouldn't reopen.

It's a;way annoyed me how some parents with a special needs child will use the child as a way for them to get their own way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thing is I prefer my dogs and animals to most humans, to rip of George Carlin, you wont see a dog come home from the pub and beat the wife, nor see a dog molest a kid, waterboard another dog, etc, we humans are far worse to each other.

We humans are supposedly the smartest species but times I seriously doubt it.
    We are the "smartest" and by a long way with it. And the humans are worse notion is only true in a Disney framed worldview and a relatively recent view with it. Dogs can be incredibly "vicious" to our eyes. They're grand until they need to fend for themselves. They're an apex predator dressed up in civilisation. Just like us actually and it's a thin veneer. Even when not hungry dogs can worry sheep for the craic like. Get their hunting fix with tracking, chasing and biting and then leave the sheep bleeding out and go home to their pedigree chum. They can also injure and even kill other dogs in displays of dominance(which happens rarely enough with their wild cousins), harry females in heat and the like.

I love dogs and can completely understand that special bond between us and them, but I understand what they are. Cats can be even more cruel with prey animals. The big difference is our big brains can label and define things like cruelty and even then that label and definition can vary quite a lot between cultures and times and individuals.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

People who over humanise pets a grieve like they lost a human need help

And I love animals

Ah I don't like to judge to be honest. It's not ideal to have a stronger connection to animals but in some cases it happens. An ex of mine had CPTSD (complex PTSD) as a result of traumatic experiences with people. She felt safer around animals. Again there's no debating that's a pathology but all the same I don't want to judge anyone that finds comfort in animals. These sorts of pathologies are more common than people think.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Surely you can understand though that everyone else on that boat would be willing to shoot your dog in the head to save 1 more person.

Absolutely. I know my opinion is unpopular, but it is true that I care more about my dog than I care for almost all humans.
    In fact people would kill you, I or anyone to save themselves, in a life or death scenario. Thats to be expected, the point I am making is i would put my dog before others.

Besides if anyone shot my dog, I would personally drown them myself :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    We are the "smartest" and by a long way with it. And the humans are worse notion is only true in a Disney framed worldview and a relatively recent view with it. Dogs can be incredibly "vicious" to our eyes. They're grand until they need to fend for themselves. They're an apex predator dressed up in civilisation. Just like us actually and it's a thin veneer. Even when not hungry dogs can worry sheep for the craic like. Get their hunting fix with tracking, chasing and biting and then leave the sheep bleeding out and go home to their pedigree chum. They can also injure and even kill other dogs in displays of dominance(which happens rarely enough with their wild cousins), harry females in heat and the like.

I love dogs and can completely understand that special bond between us and them, but I understand what they are. Cats can be even more cruel with prey animals. The big difference is our big brains can label and define things like cruelty and even then that label and definition can vary quite a lot between cultures and times and individuals.

Cannot argue with any of that, my broad statement refers to my caring for my dog....not representative of all dogs over all humans.

I would obviously save a human before a vicious pitbull or even a kind friendly dog.. Human life is more important in general, Its simply not a case of dog is better than humans, but a case I care more about my dog than 99% of every human I have ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Besides if anyone shot my dog, I would personally drown them myself :D

Me too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cms88 wrote: »
    While i have little systempay for teachers most of the time, i do agree with you on some the parents with special needs. I've head some say how they've been telling the children wh many days before they wer back etc and how upset the children will now be. Well maybe they shouldn't have got their hopes up when there was always a good chance that the schools wouldn't reopen.

It's a;way annoyed me how some parents with a special needs child will use the child as a way for them to get their own way.

Apparently if a child has severe autism, school closure is catastrophic for the child and the parents, I’ve no experience in it but I heard it’s absolutely horrible thing to happen

What you're stating isn't an opinion. You've even clarified this by saying that it's not all dogs, just yours. So what you're stating is a preference.

And I'm not name-calling. Your complete lack of empathy for people you don't directly love, and describing the actual scenario you would willingly let a child die in, and saying that you would let some of your friends die, would put you on some spectrum of psychopath or sociopath.

Why should I have love for people I do not know. Do you care about the junkies on the street, the criminals in your area, etc....I doubt it. Do you care about strangers ?

I only care for people, those I like , respect, etc, I love my family and those close to me, but strangers ? I would not wish them harm, but not gonna shed a tear over someone i dont know either, so forgive me if strangers are not high on my list of people I care about.

If that upsets you, and you think that amounts to psychopath or whatever, keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.

You are only serving to prove my point, if a lifeboat had space for one more, my dog would get it over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Why should I have love for people I do not know. Do you care about the junkies on the street, the criminals in your area, etc....I doubt it. Do you care about strangers ?

I only care for people, those I like , respect, etc, I love my family and those close to me, but strangers ? I would not wish them harm, but not gonna shed a tear over someone i dont know either, so forgive me if strangers are not high on my list of people I care about.

If that upsets you, and you think that amounts to psychopath or whatever, keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.

You are only serving to prove my point, if a lifeboat had space for one more, my dog would get it over you.

Maybe I'm reading your posts wrong. But just so I'm clear. If you found yourself in a situation where both your dog and a child needed to be rescued but you could only save one. You would save your dog over the child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Apparently if a child has severe autism, school closure is catastrophic for the child and the parents, I’ve no experience in it but I heard it’s absolutely horrible thing to happen

I'd believe it. My point is a lot of parents knew there was a high chance that the schools wouldn't reopen so it was wrong to get the childrens hopes up

cms88 wrote: »
    I'd believe it. My point is a lot of parents knew there was a high chance that the schools wouldn't reopen so it was wrong to get the childrens hopes up

a significant change in routine sets off a chain reaction which can lead to serious psychological issues including self harm, suicidal ideation, psychosis etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

ShyMets wrote: »
    Maybe I'm reading your posts wrong. But just so I'm clear. If you found yourself in a situation where both your dog and a child needed to be rescued but you could only save one. You would save your dog over the child

No he wouldnt. It's just a load of hypothetical big talk in his head.

Of course this very scenario is highly unlikely to arise therefore it is moot. But you know what would happen eventually without being rescued...the dog would get hungry and eat him....LOL...

"Nom nom nom...cheers bud"

Linkedin has become like facebook insofar that ALL notifications received on my account now are about some "hi profile professional" makes some "cool story" or has another platitude.

ShyMets wrote: »

Yes.
    Now if the child was my niece,or someone I cared for then thats a different story....but those important to me come first and always will.

Some might lecture me on priorities, morals, compassion etc, and think that gives them some moral high ground, but you must also understand the fact I would do that for my dog shows I do care, maybe not in usual way of thinking, my care has always been for those I care about. I am not ashamed to admit either.

I have no doubt some person who will have difficulty grasping this will try to convince themselves he "must be trolling", cos that is the excuse used on the net by some when they are unable to accept what they read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Yes.
    Now if the child was my niece,or someone I cared for then thats a different story....but those important to me come first and always will.

Some might lecture me on priorities, morals, compassion etc, and think that gives them some moral high ground, but you must also understand the fact I would do that for my dog shows I do care, maybe not in usual way of thinking, my care has always been for those I care about. I am not ashamed to admit either.

I have no doubt some person who will have difficulty grasping this will try to convince themselves he "must be trolling", cos that is the excuse used on the net by some when they are unable to accept what they read.

Cue the faux outrage from posters who are furious that you wouldn't save their hypothetical child from the hypothetical boat if hypothetically it was sinking, in the unpopular opinions thread :D

I have many unpopular opinions I'd love to post but I always stop myself because it just isn't worth the outrage from others.

Unpopular opinion, the unpopular opinions thread is not a safe space for unpopular opinions.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    Cue the faux outrage from posters who are furious that you wouldn't save their hypothetical child from the hypothetical boat if hypothetically it was sinking, in the unpopular opinions thread :D

I have many unpopular opinions I'd love to post but I always stop myself because it just isn't worth the outrage from others.

Unpopular opinion, the unpopular opinions thread is not a safe space for unpopular opinions.

If I had a brother who was a junkie scumbag, i would save him before mother Theresa....its all about what or who is important to us.

I would save the local whino cos I know him, over some stranger....now people could argue to complexities of which person is more deserving to live, but that is an ethic discussion for another time :D

People are focusing on some imaginary child dying, instead of seeing how much I care for a living creature.

As for faux outrage, I am no modern millenial or one of these brainwashed people who look for things to be offended by, always felt if i have something to say and believe it to be true and right, i will say, or maybe I am just an old miserable git stuck in my way, and wont roll over to brainwashing :D

Advertisement