Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think they should make Kinder Eggs without that stupid toy in the middle. They used to be good but then the toys got shìt and now they just get in the way.

You sure you didn't just get old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Clockpics wrote: »
    I think the government shouldn't fund athletes at a high level. I think all money should go on community based sports for all to enjoy not just the supremely talented. Cream will find a way to rose to the top without government funding. The average citizen should have access to facilities for excercise instead.
    They do. It's called the gym but most people are too lazy to exercise which is why obesity is on the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They do. It's called the gym but most people are too lazy to exercise which is why obesity is on the rise.

People are exercising more than at any time in history.

But, key difference is that in history there was a combination of very naturally active lifestyles and much less fattening foods.

Even people who exercise for an hour a day every day are way less active than their grandparents would have been at the same age due to the prevalence of cars and other forms of transport and changing job types to be much more computer at a desk than some form of active labour previously.

I'd say if you told most people throughout history that todays generation exercised for no particular reason, they'd be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There are far more rogue tenants than rogue landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Clockpics wrote: »
    I think the government shouldn't fund athletes at a high level. I think all money should go on community based sports for all to enjoy not just the supremely talented. Cream will find a way to rose to the top without government funding. The average citizen should have access to facilities for excercise instead.

I used to walk thirty miles per week, then a 25kg block put an end to that

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    There are far more rogue tenants than rogue landlords
    Tenants should not be able to get away with not paying rent for a year before being evicted. They should also be made to pay for any damage they cause. A friend of mine had to renovate a house after a group of male students moved out (owing rent) and it was ridiculous. Chairs smashed, curtain rails torn down, loads of damage that was obviously not normal wear and tear. It's ridiculous what people get away with and it's the sh!tty tenants that make it harder for responsible ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

On the topic of fake tan, I hate it, each to their own but I think it looks awful on anyone who wears it, girls look like they washed their hands in poo with blotchy tan all over their palms and knuckles, its orange, streaky and sometimes when it rains or they get sweaty, they get those watery streak marks all over their chest and arms. I dont get the appeal at all, I just dont think its attractive.

Yeah but I know how to do it properly! :P

I agree. I saw a woman with a particularly bad job the other day. the tan was orange and miles off her natural colour. So the streaks were crazy. She did her ankles and legs and arms but her muffin top was hanging out over her jeans and it was completely pale.

Tans are nice. I enjoy a nice tan. But I would 100% prefer a natural white woman over a fake tan woman any day. I've seen women with that looked gorgeous and above average go to below average because of the fake tan.

A good magic trick only works if you can't see the hidden strings or you can't figure out how it works. Fan tan never works. Ever.

I agree. I saw a woman with a particularly bad job the other day. the tan was orange and miles off her natural colour. So the streaks were crazy. She did her ankles and legs and arms but her muffin top was hanging out over her jeans and it was completely pale.

Tans are nice. I enjoy a nice tan. But I would 100% prefer a natural white woman over a fake tan woman any day. I've seen women with that looked gorgeous and above average go to below average because of the fake tan.

A good magic trick only works if you can't see the hidden strings or you can't figure out how it works. Fan tan never works. Ever.
    The spray tans can look good (as long as you don't do a Ross).

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

The spray tans can look good (as long as you don't do a Ross).

:D

Not for me. As soon as I know it's fake, game over. There are always tells. It's all very un-passable for me.

Same with too much make-up. We have a huge culture of cake face. I find it really off putting.

:D

Not for me. As soon as I know it's fake, game over. There are always tells. It's all very un-passable for me.

Same with too much make-up. We have a huge culture of cake face. I find it really off putting.
    At least you can wash off makeup at the end of the day. The current trend for face fillers, lip ones in particular, is worrying. It looks weird and who knows if it's going to cause long term damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Fake tan stinks, even if it’s done well.

You can say there’s “newer versions” of it that don’t smell but they do. They stink.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

If done properly it can look gorgeous but it's rare that someone has a well done tan, maybe the bad ones are just more noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

People who spend all day on social media and forums complaining about politicians aren’t politically enlightened. They are losers who blame those in positions of power for their own myriad shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

People who spend all day on social media and forums complaining about politicians aren’t politically enlightened. They are losers who blame those in positions of power for their own myriad shortcomings.

Yeah sure politicians are doing a great job running the country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Never a truer word, I pity the politicians who get into power to change the world and then realize all their staff are unioned up the wazoo and are all on a go slow. After a few weeks they realize their job is to divide up who gets a payrise each year without offending them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Women stress over things more than men

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Women stress over things more than men
    I'm not sure that's true. Women are more likely to be diagnosed with anxiety but men have a higher rate of suicide. Is that because women are more likely to verbalise their stress and seek help and men are more likely to bottle it up until it becomes too much and they take the unfortunate step of opting out permanently?

I'm not sure that's true. Women are more likely to be diagnosed with anxiety but men have a higher rate of suicide. Is that because women are more likely to verbalise their stress and seek help and men are more likely to bottle it up until it becomes too much and they take the unfortunate step of opting out permanently?

Women attempt suicide more than men and have higher rates of suicidal thoughts but are more likely to attempt suicide by overdose or cutting where there's a higher chance of being saved.
    Men are more likely to choose violent ways of killing themselves like hanging and shooting, preventing intervention.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/more-women-than-men-attempt-suicide-x6c7xhrv6t8

Women attempt suicide more than men and have higher rates of suicidal thoughts but are more likely to attempt suicide by overdose or cutting where there's a higher chance of being saved.
    Men are more likely to choose violent ways of killing themselves like hanging and shooting, preventing intervention.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/more-women-than-men-attempt-suicide-x6c7xhrv6t8
    I can't read the article because I'm not subscribing but I agree with some of what you are saying. I wouldn't agree that more women than men attempt suicide but I agree that more men die from it because they chose more extreme measure. In general, women will take an over dose and if they have second thoughts they ring an ambulance and they have a good chance of surviving. Men tend to take the extreme choice of either hanging or shotgun.

One of the most depressing facts I read on the internet is that it can take up to 20 minutes to die from hanging. Someone who overdoses and regrets their choice has a chance at life but if you chose hanging and regret it afterwards.....there's pretty much nothing you can do.

We will never know if more women/men attempt suicide because as you rightly pointed out, men are more likely to chose the nuclear option. What we need is better mental health services so that neither ever gets to the point where they feel suicide is an option.

I can't read the article because I'm not subscribing but I agree with some of what you are saying. I wouldn't agree that more women than men attempt suicide but I agree that more men die from it because they chose more extreme measure. In general, women will take an over dose and if they have second thoughts they ring an ambulance and they have a good chance of surviving. Men tend to take the extreme choice of either hanging or shotgun.

One of the most depressing facts I read on the internet is that it can take up to 20 minutes to die from hanging. Someone who overdoses and regrets their choice has a chance at life but if you chose hanging and regret it afterwards.....there's pretty much nothing you can do.

We will never know if more women/men attempt suicide because as you rightly pointed out, men are more likely to chose the nuclear option. What we need is better mental health services so that neither ever gets to the point where they feel suicide is an option.

Its proven fact, not my opinion, look it up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Maybe they are not as good at it as men are. It probably depends what paper you are reading. As per the article published today in the Guardian, twice as many men are successful in the UK. I would imagine this correlates to Ireland, give or take. I was always led to believe that more men kill themselves than women.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/03/suicides-rates-in-uk-increase-to-highest-level-since-2002

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Maybe they are not as good at it as men are. It probably depends what paper you are reading. As per the article published today in the Guardian, twice as many men are successful in the UK. I would imagine this correlates to Ireland, give or take. I was always led to believe that more men kill themselves than women.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/03/suicides-rates-in-uk-increase-to-highest-level-since-2002

Men are more successful because they choose more violent means preventing intervention.

Not sure what you mean by 'not as good as it', didnt know suicide was a competition?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Men are more successful because they choose more violent means preventing intervention.

Not sure what you mean by 'not as good as it', didnt know suicide was a competition?

No , please don't get distasteful either. I only posted because you were insinuating that more women kill themselves than men. I know that's garbage.

You absolutely know what the other poster was talking about. You might not like the wording but men are better at committing suicide because they chose more extreme measures, such as hanging or shooting. You have said this yourself. Suicide is not a competition and to cheapen it to that is despicable. It's a sad fact of life that men are more successful at killing themselves and it's something we need to change.

In order to change something, you must understand it. We have established that men and women take their own lives in different ways. Instead of focusing on how the genders take their lives, how about we focus on providing mental health services so that people don't get overwhelmed? Don't make it into a women vs men debate. Anyone can have mental health issues and anyone should have support, just like you would if you had a physical illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

On the topic of fake tan, I hate it, each to their own but I think it looks awful on anyone who wears it, girls look like they washed their hands in poo with blotchy tan all over their palms and knuckles, its orange, streaky and sometimes when it rains or they get sweaty, they get those watery streak marks all over their chest and arms. I dont get the appeal at all, I just dont think its attractive.

Uh huh.

And I’ve had women say to me “it looks good when applied properly” WHILST SPORTING BADLY-APPLIED TAN! I’m thinking to myself “If you know how to apply it properly, why don’t you do that?”. I’m dubious that it can ever look good, to be honest. I mean, foundation that doesn’t match one’s skin colour looks orangey and awful. Why would fake tan be any different? And, agreed, Airyfairy12, it can make hands look gross and does get streaky when it meets moisture. It’s awful stuff.

And not to sound like a total hippy but I think all skin colours are beautiful. Rock that pale skin! Caitriona Balfe said they came at her with fake tan when she was in the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. WHY? Her skin is beautiful and would have made her stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Derry Girls is chichéd with predictable gags and an unoriginal script.

It's only a small step up from Mrs. Brown's Boys.
    I formed this opinion from one episode - didn't bother watching any more.

I wonder if women are more likely to do cry-for-help attempts though? Maybe the article addresses that. I’ll read it later.

Derry Girls is chichéd with predictable gags and an unoriginal script.

It's only a small step up from Mrs. Brown's Boys.
    I formed this opinion from one episode - didn't bother watching any more.

I was disappointed as I was hoping it’d be better. I’m chomping for a good new comedy. One or two good characters acted well (Michelle and the nun, basically). Apart from that, there is far too much overacting. The director really needed to tell them to tone it down. I’m surprised Tommy Tiernan has been lauded for his part, he’s only alright and the schtick of his father-in-law disliking him wasn’t that funny to begin with and then really started to grate. And it’s touched upon in every single episode.

And overall, it just isn’t funny enough. IMO.

Socks and sandals.

Super comfy, and don't even look that bad.

There, I've said it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

You don't actually know someone is wearing fake tan if applied well. I would never wear it though. I just don't get this terror of paleness.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    Yeah sure politicians are doing a great job running the country :rolleyes:
    They didn't say that.

Advertisement