Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Got two:

1. I think anyone who is "sceptical" or "unsure" about the vaccinations and has their "reasons" as to why they don't think it will not work are
    idiots.

They are selfish and they think they are the main character in a film where they're awake and everyone else is brainwashed. They had
    vaccines as children and should talk to any elders in their lives and ask about Irish polio epidemic and get their opinion on vaccines.

2. Irish people for all that we go on that America/Uk live in their own bubble we all very much do as well. People calling Ireland "a kip" or "a
    dump" have no idea what those terms mean.

We live in a fine nation where are problems are not huge particularly in comparison to most countries. But there are people who would make
    you think Ireland is an embarrassment to live in. Give it a rest, we've only been around 100 years as a state, and we're doing pretty damn fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Got two:

1. I think anyone who is "sceptical" or "unsure" about the vaccinations and has their "reasons" as to why they don't think it will not work are
    idiots.

They are selfish and they think they are the main character in a film where they're awake and everyone else is brainwashed. They had
    vaccines as children and should talk to any elders in their lives and ask about Irish polio epidemic and get their opinion on vaccines.

2. Irish people for all that we go on that America/Uk live in their own bubble we all very much do as well. People calling Ireland "a kip" or "a

We live in a fine nation where are problems are not huge particularly in comparison to most countries. But there are people who would make
    you think Ireland is an embarrassment to live in. Give it a rest, we've only been around 100 years as a state, and we're doing pretty damn fine.

A lot of the time the people who say this wasters who have no issues with taking evrythimg they can get

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

joe biden is not on the level :eek:

careful....I got a ban on another thread for posting a similar video of creepy joe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Nobody cares about the perversions of politicians, nobody cares that bill clinton got a few BJs, no one even really cared about trump's allegations and you can imagine absolutely noone will care if biden sniffed someone's hair or invaded their space, considering they don't care about actual sexual assault.

It's all just nonsense that people pretend to care about when it's politically expedient for them. In the end clinton was done for lying, he should have just gloated about the bjs, it would have been refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭dubrov

chrissb8 wrote:
    1. I think anyone who is "sceptical" or "unsure" about the vaccinations and has their "reasons" as to why they don't think it will not work are idiots.

That is a very popular opinion on social media. In fact, you can extend it to anyone who dares question the consensus view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Genieve Figgis is a terrible painter. I know it's great to see an Irish artist doing so well market-wise but, in my view, her paintings are pretty bad. Much of it has to do with her lack of technique, the paintings are repetitive, their lack of finesse is embarrassing. Her work is just colourful, non-threatening interior design- perfect fodder for rich people to buy in order to move money around. I know that her work already sells for 6 figures and good for her, but still, she's no great painter, just a market artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I do understand that children with special needs can regress if they aren't getting their usual support, and that home schooling isn't ideal for many of them.

However, I don't think they should get preferential treatment compared to the majority of school-going children who don't have additional needs. These are going to be our future medical professionals, law makers and leaders- surely it's more detrimental if these have their education hampered more compared to the children who won't be in the work-force at adulthood or who will need life-long care, as callous as it sounds.

I do understand that children with special needs can regress if they aren't getting their usual support, and that home schooling isn't ideal for many of them.

However, I don't think they should get preferential treatment compared to the majority of school-going children who don't have additional needs. These are going to be our future medical professionals, law makers and leaders- surely it's more detrimental if these have their education hampered more compared to the children who won't be in the work-force at adulthood or who will need life-long care, as callous as it sounds.

There in lies the problem, people are pandering around the truth is those unfortunate kids are actually a burden.

PV dogma today makes it impossible to state the reality, as some one will only be to happy to be offended, but in the end you can change the name of the condition they are suffering from, make allowances for it, but the condition will still be the same.

sad, but true

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

The world will not be able to support the population in a timeframe much shorter than we'd like to imagine. Death and disease are just 2 factors that stop population going beyond manageable levels, we have completely gone over the top in our efforts to control them over the last year.

As much as renewable will play a big part in Irelands energy needs in the future, we will be at a major disadvantage over the next few decades without nuclear and should be considered.

Listening to Michael D.Higgins is only enjoyable in very small doses.

Mortgage interèst rates in Ireland are actually quiet low given the cost and time of enforcing repossession of the secured property for non payment for the lender.

The EU had made a major mistake innallieng most of the Eastern European countries to join and should have been much more selective after the 15 members were reached.

probably popular enough but prison sentences are so low here due to cost and overcrowding, should outsouce to cheaper countries

• Registered Users Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It doesn’t sound callous, it just sounds stupid. One of the reasons why adults with disabilities are discriminated against in employment is precisely because of the perception that they are unemployable. That’s why they’re not in the workforce - not because of their disability, but because of prejudice-fuelled nonsense like the above which would seek to justify discrimination against them and beg the question as you have done as to “why children with additional needs should be educated at all, not as if it’s going to be of any use to them as adults?”

Except for the fact that it’s because they are educated that people with disabilities are able to participate in the workforce and gain employment and contribute to society in just the same ways as the professions you mention above. Most children won’t go on to be medical professionals, law makers or leaders, it doesn’t mean that the education of all children is a waste of resources, any more than the education of children with additional needs is a waste of resources, nor does it mean that children with additional needs are getting preferential treatment above other children in terms of education or future employment. It means they are being treated equally, and the State are obligated to provide for children’s education without discrimination against children with additional needs in education.

• Advertisement

Would you feel comfortable with a down syndrome pilot ?
    An autistic heart surgeon ?
    It many be called discrimination in your book, but lets not kid ourselves here

You might be able to train people to do certain things at work, but if the person has a far lower than average IQ, you aint taking certain chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You might be able to train people to do certain things at work, but if the person has a far lower than average IQ, you aint taking certain chances.

If they’re qualified to either pilot a plane or qualified to perform heart surgery, then the fact that they either have Down’s Syndrome or autism is surely irrelevant? That’s not taking chances when the person is qualified to perform in the role, notwithstanding the reality that there are plenty of people with lower than average IQ who are employed in positions of responsibility such as, ohh, politicians for example :D

If they’re qualified to either pilot a plane or qualified to perform heart surgery, then the fact that they either have Down’s Syndrome or autism is surely irrelevant? That’s not taking chances when the person is qualified to perform in the role, notwithstanding the reality that there are plenty of people with lower than average IQ who are employed in positions of responsibility such as, ohh, politicians for example :D

cannot argue with the last bit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It doesn’t sound callous, it just sounds stupid. One of the reasons why adults with disabilities are discriminated against in employment is precisely because of the perception that they are unemployable. That’s why they’re not in the workforce - not because of their disability, but because of prejudice-fuelled nonsense like the above which would seek to justify discrimination against them and beg the question as you have done as to “why children with additional needs should be educated at all, not as if it’s going to be of any use to them as adults?”

Except for the fact that it’s because they are educated that people with disabilities are able to participate in the workforce and gain employment and contribute to society in just the same ways as the professions you mention above. Most children won’t go on to be medical professionals, law makers or leaders, it doesn’t mean that the education of all children is a waste of resources, any more than the education of children with additional needs is a waste of resources, nor does it mean that children with additional needs are getting preferential treatment above other children in terms of education or future employment. It means they are being treated equally, and the State are obligated to provide for children’s education without discrimination against children with additional needs in education.

I wasn't referring to EVERY child with a disability, just the ones with profound autism or other severe issues. The ones that need constant care, which seems to be the focus in terms of talking heads in the media giving out about the government's stance on schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Nobody cares about the perversions of politicians, nobody cares that bill clinton got a few BJs, no one even really cared about trump's allegations and you can imagine absolutely noone will care if biden sniffed someone's hair or invaded their space, considering they don't care about actual sexual assault.

It's all just nonsense that people pretend to care about when it's politically expedient for them. In the end clinton was done for lying, he should have just gloated about the bjs, it would have been refreshing.

I mean, personally I’d vote Democrat if I lived in the US but I absolutely don’t excuse dodgy sexual behaviour from Democratic politicians. Everything I read about JFK and Clinton is tainted by their sexual conduct and let me just say re: Clinton that I’m not just talking Monica Lewinsky (even though that was a gross abuse of power and Lewinsky has never been allowed to move on from whilst Clinton has). I believe some of much of more serious allegations made against him. If I had to vote for a Democrat after hearing allegations that serious, I would probably abstain in all good conscience. It’s not true to say that people only care if it’s somebody they oppose politically. That’s not the case for everyone.

The Biden video above - yeah, he’s handsy. It’s not enough for me to discount him. And it wouldn’t be the reason I’d discount Trump either. Trump was discounted on account of being a complete ludramon.

If I were american I would most likely vote democrat, but here is the thing, I had no problem clinton gets a blow job, sexual activity is not a crime.

The issue was he lied, thats the problem, had he come out and said i got a blow job, so what, he would have got more respect.
    I dont care who they ****, dont care if the cheat, dont care if they are gay or straight, as long as they are all adults and do their job properly.

These moral crusaders making out someone having sex or affairs means they are less good at their job are the problems Most likely sexually repressed morons, like those old frustrated curtain twitches reading things like the old news of the world secretly **** off pretending to be disgusted.

Same here dont care in this country who ****s who as long as they do their job properly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Got two:

idiots.

I would have thought these were popular opinions?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

'King of the Hill' was miles better than 'The Simpsons'.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I like the lockdown, I'm down to 2 days a week working and getting the covid payment also, happy days, not looking forward to returning to normality and the rat race

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

And it was consistently good for it's whole run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

The Simpsons is shyte* and anyone posting Simpsons memes in 2021 needs to cop on.

(Yes, I know, it was once funny, back in the 90s when everyone was younger, whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Beavis and Butthead was better than King of the Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Operation Transformation is a joke of a show.
    It's essentially the same old rehash of recipes and exercises every year.
    The leaders also make a big issue out of something one of the contestants are doing just for the show to get more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

The leaders also make a big issue out of something one of the contestants are doing just for the show to get more attention.

It's the constant crying I can't stand, miserable cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Kathryn Thomas is quite intimidating as a host in terms of people who have issues with their weight and diet

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭17togo

Kathryn Thomas is quite intimidating as a host in terms of people who have issues with their weight and diet

Kathryn Thomas is a pain in the hole is what she is. The female version of Ray D'Arcy. An old RTÉ reliable they wheel out for every show they can find for her. And she's not even a half decent presenter. But she has the fake d4 accent to help her fit in!

And as for the show..... Complete 5 minutes of fame ****e! And the sob stories, torture!
    It would be interesting to see a revisited episode.
    The only good thing that show did was get rid of Ciara Kelly!!

Wow, I really have issues with this show!!

Rant over!

Good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Nobody is putting forward a person with Down's syndrome to be a surgeon as part of some equality drive.
    Their reduced IQ will preclude them from ever getting there.

Regarding autism, many surgeons probably are on the spectrum. And you should be thankful for it.

A boards.ie thread is a reflection of the moderators personality and viewpoints - (Especially one over a long period of time)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Rodin wrote: »
    Nobody is putting forward a person with Down's syndrome to be a surgeon as part of some equality drive.
    Their reduced IQ will preclude them from ever getting there.

Regarding autism, many surgeons probably are on the spectrum. And you should be thankful for it.

Exactly. Good points. Obvious points but clearly they had to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭StevenToast

A boards.ie thread is a reflection of the moderators personality and viewpoints - (Especially one over a long period of time)

The real Unpopular opinion you should be putting in is that you are a huge fan of Ryan Tubridy and you think he is worth €500,000 of tv licence fee money....

Now that would indeed be Unpopular.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement