Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Socks and sandals.

Super comfy, and don't even look that bad.

There, I've said it.

No. They look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Socks and sandals.

There, I've said it.

I like this (not the style), this is a truly unpopular opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The ROI play some awful football. So much so I just don't watch them anymore but yet I still know it is rubbish...work with me on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Socks and sandals.

There, I've said it.

You need help. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Socks and sandals.

There, I've said it.
    I agree, I don't see what the problem is. Used to do it all the time when I lived on "the continent".

• Advertisement

The ROI play some awful football. So much so I just don't watch them anymore but yet I still know it is rubbish...work with me on that one.

A 1 - 1 end of match score always represents a good "WIN" for the Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

A 1 - 1 end of match score always represents a good "WIN" for the Irish team.

At this stage people are posting commonly held well known opinions as unpopular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Alun wrote: »
    I agree, I don't see what the problem is. Used to do it all the time when I lived on "the continent".
    It's ok to embarrass yourself when you're abroad and no one knows who you are but would you strut around the streets of Ireland with white socks and sandals? That's basically social suicide :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Judges and jurors shouldn't be religious. Taking the available evidence and concluding any of the religions are true seems like such a massive error of judgement they shouldn't be weighing evidence in a trial and deciding someone's fate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

Every time i see a woman with long face nails, i wonder how do they wipe there ass?
    I imagine the unimaginable under the nails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The Americanization of the world is embarrassing.

Why do people mow their lawn now instead of cutting their grass. I’m waiting for the day I hear somebody say faucet, that’ll be the time I give up on any national pride.

We cheerlead corporations. Apple etc.

We have people who care more about trump and left v right etc white v black than anything else.

Ye live in clones, why the frick does it interest you so much. There’s a sale of work down the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BDI wrote: »

Why do people mow their lawn now instead of cutting their grass. .

Yes, I must get out my grass cutter and cut the grass. Oh.
    Hang on.
    Right I'll get out my lawnmower!
    Now, I wonder what this machine does?
    Perhaps it's for mowing lawns?

Why do people mow their lawn now instead of cutting their grass. I’m waiting for the day I hear somebody say faucet, that’ll be the time I give up on any national pride.

We have people who care more about trump and left v right etc white v black than anything else.

Ye live in clones, why the frick does it interest you so much. There’s a sale of work down the church.
    It's called integration. Like it or not we watch loads of American films and tv shows and words do end up in our vocabulary. I say lift but apparently I'm supposed to say elevator. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I've always said dude (because of the turtles as a kid). I don't use trunk or sidewalk though. I do have some boundaries :p If any Irish person starts using St Patty's day we should be allowed smack them.

One time I found that I was cursing way more than usual. Everything was fing this and fing that. I thought about it and realised that I'd spent the last week watching Hell's Kitchen (I was a receptionist with a lot of time to kill) and Gordon Ramsay was having a bad influence on me. We can pick up a lot of things from watching tv without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Irish Rail are a disgrace with their new posters. Does Nigeria Rail use middle-class black and white couples in their ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fair play to the Brits on Brexit - unreal group think on it in Ireland.

EU had got out of hand - to name a few an EU army is on the way (that will have Irish thinking), tax changes.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Irish Rail are a disgrace with their new posters. Does Nigeria Rail use middle-class black and white couples in their ads.

Are you actually saying that it is a disgrace that an Irish company uses a mixed race couple in an ad?
    If so, why is it a disgrace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’ve been hearing people in this country use the term ‘mowing the lawn’ my whole life and I’m mid-30s. :confused: People say ‘cutting the grass’ too. Either or.

Irish Rail might well be hoping for people to react negatively to the ad because it means the ad was noticed.

This probably not an unpopular opinion but I think that the above comment is the most overtly racist thing I've read on boards!
    Most racists try to soften the blow or use some sort of justification to make it somehow not racist.
    The above poster just came straight out with it. I'm a racist!

This probably not an unpopular opinion but I think that the above comment is the most overtly racist thing I've read on boards!
    Most racists try to soften the blow or use some sort of justification to make it somehow not racist.
    The above poster just came straight out with it. I'm a racist!

Well, at least he thinks it’s unpopular.

In terms of Americanisations it’s the adoption of their cultural ideas rather than language that’s the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Sunday Independent is a good newspaper, and represents the views of a large number of people in this country. That’s why it’s the paper with the biggest sales and circulation. Lot of republican sorts hate that, and thus there’s a view that it’s a rag. It’s a paper that tiles then up something fierce.

In terms of Americanisations it’s the adoption of their cultural ideas rather than language that’s the issue.
    The worst one that seems to be creeping around the world is cultural appropriation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why do people mow their lawn now instead of cutting their grass.

"Mow" is taken from an old English word originally taken from a Scandinavian word brought by the Vikings.

Predates American usage by a few hundred years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In every aspect of irish life, women have it better than men

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's ok to embarrass yourself when you're abroad and no one knows who you are but would you strut around the streets of Ireland with white socks and sandals? That's basically social suicide :p

Whoa there Nelly......nobody ever said those socks had to be white.

The irony of using the American spelling in this sentence is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Sunday Independent is a good newspaper, and represents the views of a large number of people in this country. That’s why it’s the paper with the biggest sales and circulation. Lot of republican sorts hate that, and thus there’s a view that it’s a rag. It’s a paper that tiles then up something fierce.

It employs eoghan Harris, that alone renders it a poor excuse for toilet paper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Penny's is sh*te! It might be cheap as chips but you get terrible value for money and the clothing quality is dreadful! Tesco is similarly priced and offer far superior items which last!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Should we all be racist now, Father? What's the official line the church is taking on this? Only, the farm takes up most of the day, and at night I just like a cup of tea, so I might not be able to devote meself full-time to the old racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Whoa there Nelly......nobody ever said those socks had to be white.

The irony of using the American spelling in this sentence is astounding.
    Technically 'z' is the older form , coming as it did from Latin, which used 'z'. You can blame the French for the preference for 's'! Initial attempts at clearing up spelling in English just opted for the most popular form or current wordlists. Given the influence on English of French for a good three centuries the 's' would have been more prominent. So we prefer 's' and those across the pond the other form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Penny's is sh*te! It might be cheap as chips but you get terrible value for money and the clothing quality is dreadful! Tesco is similarly priced and offer far superior items which last!
    If you know that you'll get 4-5 washes out of a €3 top then it's a good deal. They have a main demographic of people who are very price sensitive.

Advertisement