Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

is_that_so wrote: »
    Technically 'z' is the older form , coming as it did from Latin, which used 'z'. You can blame the French for the preference for 's'! Initial attempts at clearing up spelling in English just opted for the most popular form or current wordlists. Given the influence on English of French for a good three centuries the 's' would have been more prominent. So we prefer 's' and those across the pond the other form.

Soooo, in summary.......we spell it "Americanisation" and the US spell it "Americanization".

Using the American spelling to give out about everything being too American is so astonishingly lacking in self-awareness that it is bordering on taking the pi$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

BDI wrote: »
    Why do people mow their lawn now instead of cutting their grass. I’m waiting for the day I hear somebody say faucet, that’ll be the time I give up on any national pride.

A few times recently i've heard people mention parking lots.

Really irritates me for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Every time i see a woman with long face nails, i wonder how do they wipe there ass?
    I imagine the unimaginable under the nails

Do you know what? I never ever considered that but now I will. Thanks...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

vriesmays wrote: »
    Irish Rail are a disgrace with their new posters. Does Nigeria Rail use middle-class black and white couples in their ads.

This is going to be unpopular but I'll try defend what I think he's on about.

I think it's the double-standard. Media in the west will bend over backwards for inclusion. If you watch some TV adverts in the US, you might mistaken the black population in the US to be around 40-50%. When actuality, the black population in the USA is around 12%.

But do you think in China there are outrage mobs of white people protesting about representation of whites in TV and film? I suspect not. When you reverse it and think about it, it seems absurd, really.

So, going back to the point that vriesmays is making. I hardly doubt that in Nigeria, there's pressure for whites to be represented in their TV ads etc. I just can't see white people or Chinese lads in Nigeria throwing a hissy fit because Whang, Zhang, or Fiachra aren't represented like everyone else their advertising.

My own opinion is that, if you can include people from all backgrounds, great. But some times, it's a bit cringey the lengths people go to try be inclusive to the point where it's not even a representation of reality. They're just hitting quotas, even if it's skews the actual reality of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

This is going to be unpopular but I'll try defend what I think he's on about.

I think it's the double-standard. Media in the west will bend over backwards for inclusion. If you watch some TV adverts in the US, you might mistaken the black population in the US to be around 40-50%. When actuality, the black population in the USA is around 12%.

But do you think in China there are outrage mobs of white people protesting about representation of whites in TV and film? I suspect not. When you reverse it and think about it, it seems absurd, really.

China doesn't really have much of a white population at all, so obviously not.

Incidentally, East Asians are horribly racist. I wouldn't want to copy their approach on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Soooo, in summary.......we spell it "Americanisation" and the US spell it "Americanization".

Using the American spelling to give out about everything being too American is so astonishingly lacking in self-awareness that it is bordering on taking the pi$$.

I always find that funny people have got so used to seeing the 'z's' in stead of 's's' they think z was always the way.
    I blame auto-correct!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I always find that funny people have got so used to seeing the 'z's' in stead of 's's' they think z was always the way.
    I blame auto-correct!

Predictive text makes it a z

Funnily enough, if you do not use 'z' then Boards flags it up as a misspelling. Well, with me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Funnily enough, if you do not use 'z' then Boards flags it up as a misspelling. Well, with me anyway.

Isn’t that a computer/phone setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Taking the pizz?

• Advertisement

So, going back to the point that vriesmays is making. I hardly doubt that in Nigeria, there's pressure for whites to be represented in their TV ads etc. I just can't see white people or Chinese lads in Nigeria throwing a hissy fit because Whang, Zhang, or Fiachra aren't represented like everyone else their advertising.

The thing is, though, there aren't hordes of black people in Ireland (or the USA for that matter) protesting about or waiting to be outraged by a lack of multiculturalism in Lidl ads.

This is something brought about by the companies themselves, in a feeble effort to appear down with the kids. Maybe it's a fear of being branded as racist or whatever, but it is, by and large, self initiated. The vast, vast, vast majority of people couldn't give a monkeys (careful now!) about this crap.

Twitter and Tumblr and the likes have given these idiots a platform and a sense that they are not alone, when the reality is that 2000 people out of 5 million is sufficiently insignificant to not be pandering to their manufactured outrage. Especially when there are 10,000 times as many who disagree but couldn't be arsed making sure everyone else knows what they think.

The media have a lot to answer for by highlighting everything and painting it in a positive light, as if it's all great. A lot of the huffing and puffing about social injustice is bordering on mental illness and these lightning rods for offence need help, not indulgence.

Someone posted a picture of a guy on a plane with a horse the other day. If you can't get on a plane without your emotional support pony, then you have a lot bigger problems than getting from A to B.

Maybe global corporations want the working class to mix race. This will end racism or allow more integration and free movement of the workforce.
    Or whatever who knows.
    If you don’t want to be in a mixed race couple get a partner the same race as you. That’s really all the worrying you should do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Whoa there Nelly......nobody ever said those socks had to be white.
    You can change white for any colour and it's still woeful.
    The irony of using the American spelling in this sentence is astounding.
    Whoosh!

BDI wrote: »
    Maybe global corporations want the working class to mix race. This will end racism or allow more integration and free movement of the workforce.
    Or whatever who knows.
    If you don’t want to be in a mixed race couple get a partner the same race as you. That’s really all the worrying you should do about it.
    They don't want to end racism. They want people to be divided and at each other's throats so they don't look up and question what the 1% are doing.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Whoosh!

Aha, so you were taking the pizz. In my defence, boards is impossible to read at times. I've been carded for expressing that exact opinion before.

Good job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

China doesn't really have much of a white population at all, so obviously not.

Incidentally, East Asians are horribly racist. I wouldn't want to copy their approach on the issue.

"Racism" is only a legitimate concept within a multi-cultural societal framework which East Asia doesn't have. It's really an expression of in-group preference which is a positive thing. One's care and camaraderie can only extend so far. That humans have managed to devise and adapt to ethnocentric nations is itself a miracle. Globaised multi-cultural hubs, which is what our nations in the west are quickly being transformed into, are maladaptive and cause chaos and a handicapping of the social order.

Aha, so you were taking the pizz. In my defence, boards is impossible to read at times. I've been carded for expressing that exact opinion before.

Good job though.
    Nah. It wasn't me taking the pizz. The original poster who went on a rant about Americans, started it with a very American spelling. He was the one taking the pizz. The point I was making was that his "Americanism" was deliberate :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Jmsg wrote: »
    "Racism" is only a legitimate concept within a multi-cultural societal framework which East Asia doesn't have. It's really an expression of in-group preference which is a positive thing. One's care and camaraderie can only extend so far. That humans have managed to devise and adapt to ethnocentric nations is itself a miracle. Globaised multi-cultural hubs, which is what our nations in the west are quickly being transformed into, are maladaptive and cause chaos and a handicapping of the social order.

Yeah, ok. The Koreans shouting abuse at Mongolian and Vietnamese immigrants, and telling Indians they smell bad are dead right.

Yeah, ok. The Koreans shouting abuse at Mongolian and Vietnamese immigrants, and telling Indians they smell bad are dead right.

Well that is an unpopular opinion in India.

Of course they are. The Koreans are only encouraging the Mongolians and Vietnamese to be their best selves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If you use Firefox, you can install a "British English" dictionary.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary-2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

It's an excellent time to be a landlord, just choose your tenants wisely. So many whingers on boards about how getting passive income (with some work involved is so difficult)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The only native Irish you'll see in Dublin City centre are the homeless.

I cycle through it everyday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I don't get it, do you mean Irish travellers/gypsies?

Funny though that I must admit I've never seen a homeless black lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I don't know whether this is an opinion so much as an uncomfortable truth. The average lifestyle in the West depends entirely on someone getting the short end of the stick in most of the third world countries.

Whether it's clothes shops in SE Asia, technology products in China or bananas/chocolate in Africa/South America, these people are essentially slaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There should be no tax cuts in the upcoming budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There should be no tax cuts in the upcoming budget.
    I think that's actually become an overwhelmingly popular opinion, given Brexit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think that's actually become an overwhelmingly popular opinion, given Brexit! :)

Nope. The "squeezed middle" still want their break.

• Advertisement

I don't know whether this is an opinion so much as an uncomfortable truth. The average lifestyle in the West depends entirely on someone getting the short end of the stick in most of the third world countries.

Whether it's clothes shops in SE Asia, technology products in China or bananas/chocolate in Africa/South America, these people are essentially slaves.

Well, the danger here is that you are looking at the conditions in those countries with Western standards.

It is a fact that need for coffee, cocoa bean, cheap clothes has lifted tens of millions (if not hundreds) out of dire poverty in third world countries.

Lets say for arguments sake, that the West decided to cut consumption by 50%. What effect would that have?

When a new clothes factory opens in Bangladesh etc there is a near riot with local trying to get jobs there.

Of course it is not perfect and I am not suggesting it is but you do need look at the whole picture with an open mind and don't just assume that everyone in third world countries are essentially slaves.

More often than not, the local Nike factory is the best paid and most sought after job in say, Vietnam. Don't assume that it is all bad.

Should they all be confined to the rice fields in perpetuity like a picture from some travel magazine?

Advertisement