Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

BensMixed wrote: »
    I think that's true for us humans who probably are incapable of complete objectivity in the way an artificial intelligence might be. It comes down to whether reason can be used to make a determination of which is more rational. I would think from a purely objective point of view that reason can't do that. Which would mean that objectively it can't be determined rationally that life is better than death. When I say objective I mean in contradistinction to our own subjectivity which includes all of our biases. The biological bias towards life could then be described as irrational. The highest insight of humanity might be that rational thought deduces that life is meaningless.

Re last sentence - it MIGHT be. For sure.
    Or it might be irrational and limited. It is as yet indecipherable.

The elevation of AI to some admirable supra rational capability is also a belief system. It is thus far still very much in the realms of imaginary or even wishful thinking. As much magical thought as sex rituals to make crops grow. Transhuman composites or AI bots may develop primal survival drives quite early on, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Cretins like PM when it comes down to it have no real contribution to make to society. So to remain relevant they have to resort to shock tactics- basically rent a gob.

He is a parasite that lives off others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Cretins like PM when it comes down to it have no real contribution to make to society. So to remain relevant they have to resort to shock tactics- basically rent a gob.

He is a parasite that lives off others.

Yes but do you think everyone you dislike or disagree with should be banned / censored?

Yes but do you think everyone you dislike or disagree with should be banned / censored?

Well no but that is a completely different from my post. I just think he is a cretin trying to stay relevant.

Free speech is not a blank cheque to say what you want when you want. There is an element of responsibility especially when you are given a national platform which very few people have. The 'free speech' defence is not blanket immunity.

Anyway, I was under the impression that he quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BensMixed wrote: »
    Yeah I never understood why people don't just adopt if they really want a child. I suppose it just shows that humans really are just animals, slaves to their genes in many ways at the end of the day.

because adopting in this country is incredibly difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Free speech free speech for the dumb free speech for the dumb free f**king speech

Just curious...what is so precious and great about "free speech" anyway that makes it so untouchable?

I know we have libel laws but pretty much every other sphere in life is heavily regulated.

I am open to correction on this but even libel laws are creatures of the Court and not statute based.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

So many people think it's amazing when frogs get together and procreate, protected species, don't step on the tadpoles and all that. I think the whole thing is vile. It's like a massive orgy and then they leave behind all this disgusting spawn that turns into more frogs eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Antares35 wrote: »
    So many people think it's amazing when frogs get together and procreate, protected species, don't step on the tadpoles and all that. I think the whole thing is vile. It's like a massive orgy and then they leave behind all this disgusting spawn that turns into more frogs eugh.

24489182.jpg

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Antares35 wrote: »

Amazing the differences in taste :) I know a couple of people for whom this is incredibly interesting and they get overcome with joy and enthusiasm about it all. I think it is quite cute myself. Sometimes one meets very fat lady frogs in the garden, bloated with eggs, barely able to hop but still determinedly on the way to the orgy. The gurgling sounds they make are relaxing. They all seem super stoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Amazing the differences in taste :) I know a couple of people for whom this is incredibly interesting and they get overcome with joy and enthusiasm about it all. I think it is quite cute myself. Sometimes one meets very fat lady frogs in the garden, bloated with eggs, barely able to hop but still determinedly on the way to the orgy. The gurgling sounds they make are relaxing. They all seem super stoned.

We actually have a pond out our back that is no longer in use. But around this time of year there'd be some water in it from rainfall, and the frogs keep coming! Despite my opinion, I do still run a hose in if the level is dangerously low for the tadpoles, and make sure they're kept with enough water to flourish etc. I'm aware that they are protected and I do what I can to help. We also have a ban on lawn cutting in our garden while the little ones leap around for a week or two. Ok those ones are cute I suppose. I just hate that they're so blatant about their orgies and the slimy spawn. Maybe I'm just a prude ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There is no audible diffferences between DACs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Maybe if we all just masturbated into ponds instead of this dating and relationship mullarkey the world would be a better place

Maybe if we all just masturbated into ponds instead of this dating and relationship mullarkey the world would be a better place

It is not just into ponds - it goes on the lady frog's back...look and learn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

vriesmays wrote: »
    Ireland is the only country in Western Europe who hasn't invented its own style of electronic dance music.

Excuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just curious...what is so precious and great about "free speech" anyway that makes it so untouchable?

I know we have libel laws but pretty much every other sphere in life is heavily regulated.

I am open to correction on this but even libel laws are creatures of the Court and not statute based.

"Free Speech" 100 years ago was fine. Now with internet, echo chambers and filter bubbles it's going to come back and bite everyone in the arse. Give it another 10-15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It is not just into ponds - it goes on the lady frog's back...look and learn

as long as it's consensual

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and that, your honour, is the case for the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Cienciano wrote: »

Do you know the difference between a cheesy dance version of an '80s song and a new style of edm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭nicholasIII

This is probably unpopular in Ireland but our justice system is not that leninent. People who are caught with small amounts of drugs and have no offenses can have their lives ruined.

Unless you have no ambitions in life to travel or work a decent job, getting a suspended sentence and subsequently a criminal record in Ireland will **** you up. I know a guy who went to a well to do school in Dundrum but started dealing cannabis and got a sentence. Now despite having a degree in Science, he can't get a job anywhere and has to work in Tesco.

• Advertisement

Do you know the difference between a cheesy dance version of an '80s song and a new style of edm.

Oh good you're back dude....I was worried that you might be ignoring the reasonable request...how is that list coming along?

You gave us Portugal but still waiting for the rest of Western Europe seeing that Ireland is the only country that has not invented its own style of electronic music..

You can't say it's ok for Ireland to have achieved nothing new with edm over the last 30 years when Andorra hasn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You can't say it's ok for Ireland to have achieved nothing new with edm over the last 30 years when Andorra hasn't either.

The “aprés ski” scene has really stagnated.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

No man. I am not saying that at all.

If you are saying Andorra for example has not achieved anything new in EDM in the past 30 years then your statement was a tad exaggerated as Ireland is not the only country in Western Europe without new EDM to its name.

Don't forget "we" gave the world Boyzone, BeWithched and...crap can't think of their name...oh yeah...Westlife. That is worth a thousand EDM anyday..:D

"The defence rests your honour."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The vast majority of irish sports fans are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers and these people annoy me greatly.

The vast majority of irish sports fans are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers and these people annoy me greatly.

Buddy of mine I grew up was quite vocal in his complete lack of interest in rugby. Grand.

Practically overnight he turned into Munster's biggest supporter mid 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

100% , can't wait till Dublin aren't in a final so all the newfound enthusiasts can go back to only supporting English football.

Don't forget "we" gave the world Boyzone, BeWithched and...crap can't think of their name...oh yeah...Westlife. That is worth a thousand EDM anyday..:D
    If you think producing forgotten boybands is better than inventing a new music genre then you're emotionally and intellectually dead.

If you think producing forgotten boybands is better than inventing a new music genre then your're emotionally and intellectually dead.

Ah lad...do you think I was serious??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Hake is better grilled than fried

Advertisement