Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ah lad...do you think I was serious??
    Of course, was also going to post about the lack of philosophers this country has produced compared with the continent but you'd probably defend Ireland by listing our chick-lit writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The vast majority of irish sports fans are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers and these people annoy me greatly.

they pay the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

vriesmays wrote: »
    Of course, was also going to post about the lack of philosophers this country has produced compared with the continent but you'd probably defend Ireland by listing our chick-lit writers.

But back to your original statement...is it far to say that Ireland is not indeed the only country in Western Europe not have produced new EDM? Come on man, you made the statement- own it.

ps Marian Keyes is our greatest philospher and indeed a sage and we are blessed to have her.

Marian Keyes is no Iris Murdoch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Porking a fattie is way more fun than doing it with a skinny girl.

I see you are new here...but yeah fatties are more fun. They "make hay" while the sun shines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Porking a fattie is way more fun than doing it with a skinny girl.

Brian May really knew what he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Greyfox

This is probably unpopular in Ireland but our justice system is not that leninent. People who are caught with small amounts of drugs and have no offenses can have their lives ruined.

Depends on the crime, for rape or breaking into someones home we are very lenient
    The vast majority of irish sports fans are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers and these people annoy me greatly.

Ultimately though the bandwagon is a fun starting point and how most dedicated fans start out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That murder in the UK is awful and I hope the perpetrator rots in prison (thankfully the British justice system is less lenient than ours).

But there appears certain people using it to fuel an anti-man agenda. Apparently every man is a potential murderer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Apparently every man is a potential murderer now.

Who exactly has said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

.anon. wrote: »

Not in as many words, just the general feeling I get looking on social media.

• Advertisement

So nobody has said it; it's just your own paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Dogs are annoying, dirty, noisy, space invading creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My sense was that women feel aggrieved because a lot of these offences are being carried out by men with previous convictions, so there is a sense that the system is not keeping us safe.

Edit to add, I'm not a supporter of "preventative justice" but I can understand the source of the anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

Open fires are now being attacked in the media for being anti-climate. Baths are next. It is extremely selfish to have a bath instead of a shower.

If you have a candle lit bath on a winter night and then sit by the fire afterwards you are the scurge of the Earth.

A2 rated houses have bath tubs. They should be relegated to G rated

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Open fires are now being attacked in the media for being anti-climate. Baths are next. It is extremely selfish to have a bath instead of a shower.

If you have a candle lit bath on a winter night and then sit by the fire afterwards you are the scurge of the Earth.

Open fires are hugely inefficient and not a good way to provide heating in a home or anywhere else, people like them because of the nostalgia associated with them.

Baths are also a huge waste of potable water vs. a shower, however, A2 rated homes would have the water heated by solar, significantly reducing the impact of the bath. By using a rainwater collection system, you could almost entirely eliminate the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's OK then, I take showers and have a wood burning stove. Open fires are ridiculous.

Closing down our peat industry and now having to import peat make Ireland a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

astrofool wrote: »
    Open fires are hugely inefficient and not a good way to provide heating in a home or anywhere else, people like them because of the nostalgia associated with them.

Baths are also a huge waste of potable water vs. a shower, however, A2 rated homes would have the water heated by solar, significantly reducing the impact of the bath. By using a rainwater collection system, you could almost entirely eliminate the impact.

An open fire burning turf is an irish tradition ill never give up no matter how much the EU wants me to, cant be bet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

vriesmays wrote: »
    Closing down our peat industry and now having to import peat make Ireland a laughing stock.

Where are we importing peat from? Where did you hear this?

Our own industry isn't stopping for 3yrs iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Jeremy Bamber might not've been guilty; admittedly I've just come off the Netflix/ITV series but I've done a fair bit of researching & reading about it over the years.

Just think both his ex (who sold her story to NOTW subsequently; she needed him to be guilty to do this surely.......?) & his cousin (who inherited the farm & caravan park'd too much to lose by him being a free man.

That said the final episode nailed it for me but episode five'd me absolutely wobbling.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

So nobody has said it; it's just your own paranoia.

she said it - in Irish times
    Jennifer O’Connell: Good men need to act like they’re part of the problem

NIMAN wrote: »
    Where are we importing peat from? Where did you hear this?

Our own industry isn't stopping for 3yrs iirc

Germany, Lithuania, Estonia, Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Buddy of mine I grew up was quite vocal in his complete lack of interest in rugby. Grand.

Practically overnight he turned into Munster's biggest supporter mid 00s.

It's extraordinary. I know nothing about the game of Rugby. Neither does anyone I know. They'll be sitting in front of the TV today and pretending that they are world experts on "phase possession" and other bullsh1t later on.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Depends on the crime, for rape or breaking into someones home we are very lenient

Ultimately though the bandwagon is a fun starting point and how most dedicated fans start out

Dedicated fans stay when the bandwagon leaves town.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/06/upward-thrusting-buildings-ejaculating-cities-sexist-leslie-kern-phallic-feminist-city-toxic-masculinity

Opinions pieces are fine. However. there needs to be certain standards in place. This example helps to illustrate why Journalism is in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Twitter is a cesspool and there is lots of this spouted there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/06/upward-thrusting-buildings-ejaculating-cities-sexist-leslie-kern-phallic-feminist-city-toxic-masculinity

Opinions pieces are fine. However. there needs to be certain standards in place. This example helps to illustrate why Journalism is in decline.

"Leslie Kern is an associate professor of geography and environment and director of women's and gender studies at Mount Allison University"

Journalism is now activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Should all buildings look like tits now?

paw patrol wrote: »
    she said it - in Irish times

Here's the article. She didn't say that every man is a potential murderer, or anything like it.

In fact, she said the exact opposite. Jesus wept, some men on here have one hell of a victim complex.
    We know the thing we fear is not all men. The vast majority of men we will ever encounter – the men in our lives, the strangers walking behind us on the poorly lit street – mean us no harm. But we can’t readily tell the good ones from the abominable, or even just the casual harassers. So society – and experience, our own and others’ – have taught us to be wary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Substitute Traveller in there for men and watch the mental gymnastics begin

Advertisement