Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Substitute Traveller in there for men and watch the mental gymnastics begin

I'm pretty sure you'd find a lot of people on here disputing, in the strongest terms that they can get away with, the notion that "the vast majority of Travellers we ever encounter mean us no harm".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yeah I don't get it, as a man what am I supposed to do here? Not attack people? Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Omackeral wrote: »
    Substitute Traveller in there for men and watch the mental gymnastics begin

Just substitute it for women, if a comment was made like that against women there would be f*cking murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I really don't get the recent Twitter thing with men ,

Don't we all know that some men are absolute animals ?
    Don't we all know that kind of behaviour is not ok ?
    Don't we all know that unfortunately no matter what we do that will never change ?

We all know its **** and horrific and disgusting but it will never go away ,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the implication is we as men witness our mates being bad on a daily basis and should correct it, but the truth is for the majority of people is we don't see this behavior on a daily basis and can't correct it.
    I would say being out on a sat night between the ages of teen and 27 is and always will be a cess pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,346 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

the implication is we as men witness our mates being bad on a daily basis and should correct it, but the truth is for the majority of people is we don't see this behavior on a daily basis and can't correct it.
    I would say being out on a sat night between the ages of teen and 27 is and always will be a cess pool.

Try and correct a misbehaving male in a drunk couple at best you'll be told to fcuk off, or get a box in the mouth for your trouble, maybe the two of them turning on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Try and correct a misbehaving male in a drunk couple at best you'll be told to fcuk off, or get a box in the mouth for your trouble, maybe the two of them turning on you.
    Maybe Twitter is the problem:)

Maybe Twitter is the problem:)

Short of castrating every living male there's no real solution to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Don't we all know that unfortunately no matter what we do that will never change ?

Recent?

Twitter is fueling social contagion....it's driving people demented...including the media industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I stopped once to make sure a girl was alright when her fella was arguing loudly with her and I got a headbutt in the face for my troubles. Looking back on it, I'm lucky the guy didn't have a knife. There's no way I'll ever interject again. I'm 6 foot tall and about 16 stone so I'm hefty enough but I don't fight or know any self defence and I'm not aggressive so if anyone came at me, they'd most likely take me out. Self preservation says keep the head down and continue walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I stopped once to make sure a girl was alright when her fella was arguing loudly with her and I got a headbutt in the face for my troubles. Looking back on it, I'm lucky the guy didn't have a knife. There's no way I'll ever interject again. I'm 6 foot tall and about 16 stone so I'm hefty enough but I don't fight or know any self defence and I'm not aggressive so if anyone came at me, they'd most likely take me out. Self preservation says keep the head down and continue walking.

Absolutely. Why should there be any onus on you to intervene and put your own life at risk. In particular when all society gives you in return is the assumption that because you're a man, you're a potential sex offender. The women in these situations will often turn on the person interfering. Best to just keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This will sound mental, I'm sure, but in decades of reading newspapers and then the internet, I have read innumerable accounts of people who tried to do the right thing and intervene in assaults, being killed, losing eyes, being permanently brain damaged, while the original victim of the assault ended up far better off.

Someone intervening seems to trigger an incredibly dangerous hyper reaction in men who are already hugely aggressive, it's as if they get a massive addrenalin surge and an instant urge to kill.

So I have firmly fixed in my head that someone should never intervene in an assault unless it looks like the victim is going to be killed, and even then only if they could find a weapon that tilted the balance in their favour and were prepared to attempt lethality from the outset.

Fortunately I have never been faced with such a situation and I hope I never am.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

Same can be said for women :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

An open fire burning turf is an irish tradition ill never give up no matter how much the EU wants me to, cant be bet

we have a stove insert , we still get to enjoy turf fires ?

"Leslie Kern is an associate professor of geography and environment and director of women's and gender studies at Mount Allison University"

Journalism is now activism.

not a huge surprise , universities are now left wing madrassas when it comes to journalism courses , think of the following in this country alone , pure activists posing as journos

colette browne
    emer coyne
    conor gallagher
    sorcha pollock
    shona murray

all of the above can be counted on to never ever deviate from the pre approved narrative on any given subject , they are unthinking bots

Less of the victim blaming

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

An open fire burning turf is an irish tradition ill never give up no matter how much the EU wants me to, cant be bet

Especially if you get one in a nice pub.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Mod Snip

As if the guy will say to you "thanks, I'm really sorry for my sh1tty behavior..I won't do it again".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Antares35 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Why should there be any onus on you to intervene and put your own life at risk. In particular when all society gives you in return is the assumption that because you're a man, you're a potential sex offender. The women in these situations will often turn on the person interfering. Best to just keep going.

And if you did hurt him the chances are he would probably have you charged or if a hospital job bring you to court.
    Can't win as you said head down and keep going and if there is violence call the police when you get out of sight.

As if the guy will say to you "thanks, I'm really sorry for my sh1tty behavior..I won't do it again".

that kind of outcome only happens in the lecture halls of social studies degrees , unfortunately some poor sap will act on what he has learned and learn a very hard lesson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I'm grand with the death penalty for murder

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Especially if you get one in a nice pub.

The blue light, stop no.1 whenever the government decided pints can return, don't care if its the middle of July , I'll light it myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The blue light, stop no.1 whenever the government decided pints can return, don't care if its the middle of July , I'll light it myself :pac:

The problem with that place is it's a mare to get home from if you don't live in the area, great pub though. Pretty sure the upstairs is on airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The problem with that place is it's a mare to get home from if you don't live in the area, great pub though. Pretty sure the upstairs is on airbnb.

sounds to me like the problem solved itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sounds to me like the problem solved itself.

Yes gf and I had discussed this but never happened, back when things were open

I have a few :)
    The notion that straight white men are responsible for every ill of society.
    Gender non binary is not a thing, and more widely that gender is a construct.
    Toxic masculinity is not a thing.
    The notion that offensive content should be censored because you don’t like it.
    Meghan Markle will not take down the British monarchy.
    Ireland should not reunify.
    COVID restrictions are now redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

A fairly popular opinion on here, I would have thought. Ironically among those who display its characteristics.

.anon. wrote: »
    A fairly popular opinion on here, I would have thought. Ironically among those who display its characteristics.

It’s nothing but a sound bite for angry feminazis. I don’t think anyone can even quantify what it is in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I have a few :)
    The notion that straight white men are responsible for every ill of society.
    Gender non binary is not a thing, and more widely that gender is a construct.
    The notion that offensive content should be censored because you don’t like it.
    Meghan Markle will not take down the British monarchy.
    Ireland should not reunify.
    COVID restrictions are now redundant.

I sometimes feel like the whole gender thing is just boredom. People didn't bother their àrses getting het up about having girl/ boy bits when they were up to their neck in plagues and wars.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    I sometimes feel like the whole gender thing is just boredom. People didn't bother their àrses getting het up about having girl/ boy bits when they were up to their neck in plagues and wars.

Honestly it just seems to me to something taken a step too far for weirdos. Apparently there are now more than 200 genders? Absolutely ridiculous.

Advertisement