Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Honestly it just seems to me to something taken a step too far for weirdos. Apparently there are now more than 200 genders? Absolutely ridiculous.

That can't be true? I thought it was a bit mental when OH had to fill out forms for work and there were eight options in the drop down menu for gender.

Antares35 wrote: »
    That can't be true? I thought it was a bit mental when OH had to fill out forms for work and there were eight options in the drop down menu for gender.

8? That’s insane.
    Apparently Facebook had over 200 options that have been whittled down to a much more manageable 71.
    71!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It’s nothing but a sound bite for angry feminazis. I don’t think anyone can even quantify what it is in real terms.

This article does a fairly good job of describing it.

.anon. wrote: »
    This article does a fairly good job of describing it.

Thanks.

“Suppressing emotions or masking distress

Maintaining an appearance of hardness

Violence as an indicator of power (think: “tough-guy” behavior)”

Women do these things too. Maybe not in as big of numbers. But they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I sometimes feel like the whole gender thing is just boredom. People didn't bother their àrses getting het up about having girl/ boy bits when they were up to their neck in plagues and wars.

100%

This nonsense is almost always propagated by those with little going on in their lives. It’s consistently the usual suspects bleating about preferred pronouns, toxic masculinity etc..

People with families, children, friends, and busy careers don’t have the time or inclination to indulge in this rubbish. It’s a way for bored, under-taxed people to make themselves feel relevant.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

“Suppressing emotions or masking distress

Maintaining an appearance of hardness

Violence as an indicator of power (think: “tough-guy” behavior)”

Women do these things too. Maybe not in as big of numbers. But they do.

I don't think they're necessarily brought up to display those characteristics - at least not to the extent that men were. However - and this doesn't get mentioned a lot - the vast majority of men were brought up in families where women did (at least - usually a lot more than) 50% of the parenting. Hands up if your mother ever discouraged you from crying as a child "because big boys don't cry"...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I sometimes feel like the whole gender thing is just boredom. People didn't bother their àrses getting het up about having girl/ boy bits when they were up to their neck in plagues and wars.

"Pick your own gender" got far too many column inches wrt the microscopic numbers of people it affects.
    The vast vast majority are perfectly happy the way they turned out.

Why do male feminists always have this need to 'police' the behaviour of other men? Do they think it impresses women?

Just worry about your own behaviour.

But it’s the trendy thing to do now!
    The world would be a much better place if everyone minded themselves and themselves only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't think they're necessarily brought up to display those characteristics - at least not to the extent that men were. However - and this doesn't get mentioned a lot - the vast majority of men were brought up in families where women did (at least - usually a lot more than) 50% of the parenting. Hands up if your mother ever discouraged you from crying as a child "because big boys don't cry"...

sometimes its perfectly wise to discourage a child from crying , its a way of instilling reality , that life is not perfect and little things should not be a cause for breaking down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'd say there isn't much ambiguity about gender in countries where people are genuinely fighting to survive day to day, like impoverished villages in sub-Saharan Africa, slums in India or war-torn and famine-stricken regions across the world.

It's the THE first world problem of our day.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    sometimes its perfectly wise to discourage a child from crying , its a way of instilling reality , that life is not perfect and little things should not be a cause for breaking down

There are probably better ways of doing it than implying that it's something that boys, in particular, don't or shouldn't do. It's something I think most of our parents were probably guilty of.

There are probably better ways of doing it than implying that it's something that boys, in particular, don't or shouldn't do. It's something I think most of our parents were probably guilty of.

why do you think there are better ways ?

who,s to say the old ways were not perfectly sensible ?

why do you think there are better ways ?

who,s to say the old ways were not perfectly sensible ?

Because crying shouldn't be seen as something shameful, or something that only girls do.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

The blue light, stop no.1 whenever the government decided pints can return, don't care if its the middle of July , I'll light it myself :pac:

Grand, I'll get them in:
      guinness-1-300x300.jpg

Because crying shouldn't be seen as something shameful, or something that only girls do.

Teaching stoicism young builds character

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it also builds emotional repression.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hamachi wrote: »
      100%

This nonsense is almost always propagated by those with little going on in their lives. It’s consistently the usual suspects bleating about preferred pronouns, toxic masculinity etc..

People with families, children, friends, and busy careers don’t have the time or inclination to indulge in this rubbish. It’s a way for bored, under-taxed people to make themselves feel relevant.
      Bingo.

it also builds emotional repression.

everything in moderation , i would not tell my four year old son not to cry if he has a pretty rough fall but i would if his favourite toy cant be found and he has to wait a few minutes until we locate it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd say there isn't much ambiguity about gender in countries where people are genuinely fighting to survive day to day, like impoverished villages in sub-Saharan Africa, slums in India or war-torn and famine-stricken regions across the world.

It's the THE first world problem of our day.

Actually there are places around the world where trans is normal enough. Samoa, Thailand, parts of Africa, I can think of offhand anyway.
      I'm sure if people were starving it probably wouldn't be top of the agenda for someone who may feel like they're the wrong gender, but there's a hierarchy of needs that need to be fulfilled and after basic needs are looked after most humans will need more to feel content like spirituality and freedom to express who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Teaching philosophy young stops a generation thinking with their emotions.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

"Leslie Kern is an associate professor of geography and environment and director of women's and gender studies at Mount Allison University"

Journalism is now activism.

Associating buildings with toxic masculinity isn't activism.

It's bullsh1t.

Here's the article. She didn't say that every man is a potential murderer, or anything like it.

In fact, she said the exact opposite. Jesus wept, some men on here have one hell of a victim complex.

Interesting. Speaking of victim complexes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/curfew-on-men-after-women-are-killed-vcg02vmjg

"Leslie Kern is an associate professor of geography and environment and director of women's and gender studies at Mount Allison University"

Journalism is now activism.

Frankly, that entire article is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The vast majority of irish sports fans are a bunch of bandwagon jumpers and these people annoy me greatly.
      The vast majority of sports fans around the world are, it's not confined to Ireland.

vriesmays wrote: »
      Closing down our peat industry and now having to import peat make Ireland a laughing stock.

Is the imported stuff much more expensive?

I'm beginning to wonder if some people on here are capable of reading. Or are you just too blinded by your victim complex to see that she also didn't say that every man is a potential murderer. Or, indeed, anything like it.

Cienciano wrote: »
      The vast majority of sports fans around the world are, it's not confined to Ireland.

True. With regard to Ireland though it has felt a bit like with the decline in the Ireland football team many people have turned to the Ireland rugby team. Though obviously you'd have to attribute a lot of the new found support to how good the rugby team have been over the last 10-15 years.

True. With regard to Ireland though it has felt a bit like with the decline in the Ireland football team many people have turned to the Ireland rugby team. Though obviously you'd have to attribute a lot of the new found support to how good the rugby team have been over the last 10-15 years.

Rugby was always popular here but it became professional and repackaged and sold differently and that's how it became so popular in Ireland, and the fact we started winning more of course. Plus lots of women are mad into it that would have no interest in football, maybe because it's not quite as heartbreaking as watching James McClean giving the ball away for the 47th time in a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I've always found football utterly tedious and lose the will to live after 15 minutes whereas I've never had an issue watching even a bad game of rugby. Astonishingly enough, I'm not from D4 or Limerick either.

Rugby was always popular here but it became professional and repackaged and sold differently and that's how it became so popular in Ireland, and the fact we started winning more of course. Plus lots of women are mad into it that would have no interest in football, maybe because it's not quite as heartbreaking as watching James McClean giving the ball away for the 47th time in a match.

lol yeah I never get tired of that.

There's also something about Irish rugby that feels (to me anyway) like it brings us together more, and therefore maybe easy for some to get invested in even if they aren't generally into rugby. Maybe it's the fact that it's such a physical game and the lads on the pitch have to give so much in a warrior-like way. It's easy cheer for someone giving it everything they have like that. And there's nothing like the intensity of willing the team on to hold the fort against England 5 yards out from the try line.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I never totally warmed to rugby. I'll watch Ireland play but sometimes I have found myself cheering for the other team, I never really felt any connection with them.
      Unfortunately the football team are the bane of my life and look forward to being hammered by Serbia quite soon.

Advertisement