Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I don't know, I never totally warmed to rugby. I'll watch Ireland play but sometimes I have found myself cheering for the other team, I never really felt any connection with them.
    Unfortunately the football team are the bane of my life and look forward to being hammered by Serbia quite soon.

Unpopular opinion: I checked out of actively supporting Ireland, around the time the Nations league started. I don't really understand it, but all I knew was there'd be more games to watch and I just couldn't do it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Unpopular opinion: I checked out of actively supporting Ireland, around the time the Nations league started. I don't really understand it, but all I knew was there'd be more games to watch and I just couldn't do it anymore.

The games on TG4 seem to turn the “ref mic” up so you can hear the reasons for the penalties etc better.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's also something about Irish rugby that feels (to me anyway) like it brings us together more

The litmus test is the World Cup. Anytime the football team qualifies for the WC, the nation stops and comes to a standstill. Homecoming parades for mediocrity. It’s not the same for rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Omackeral wrote: »
    The litmus test is the World Cup. Anytime the football team qualifies for the WC, the nation stops and comes to a standstill. Homecoming parades for mediocrity. It’s not the same for rugby.

They save that for when they win a friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I have no interest in rugby.
    In Ireland it’s a minority sport played by people I’ve no connection with.
    The national team is full of private school toffs, nordies and mercenaries from SA & NZ.
    Of those groups I probably have most in common with the mercenaries.
    Each to their own but please don’t include me in the rugby country or team of us bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Unlike many people, I've never found it pants-wettingly hilarious when I see someone fall down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

The national team is full of private school toffs, nordies and mercenaries from SA & NZ.
    Each to their own but please don’t include me in the rugby country or team of us bullsh1t.

One thing you have to say fair play about is how they've managed to market it in a way that it's some sort of peoples game. When in reality most people would actually have more in common with soccer players than rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

cms88 wrote: »
    One thing you have to say fair play about is how they've managed to market it in a way that it's some sort of peoples game. When in reality most people would actually have more in common with soccer players than rugby

In fairness, down in Limerick it is pretty much a people’s game in the same manner that you see in Wales and New Zealand.

Agreed that it’s confined to very specific classes of people in Dublin. I remember a particularly obnoxious D4 girl in college once declaring that rugby is a game for brutes, played by gentlemen, whilst soccer is a game for gentleman played by brutes.

I remember thinking what an obnoxious ***bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Hamachi wrote: »
    In fairness, down in Limerick it is pretty much a people’s game in the same manner that you see in Wales and New Zealand.

Agreed that it’s confined to very specific classes of people in Dublin. I remember a particularly obnoxious D4 girl in college once declaring that rugby is a game for brutes, played by gentlemen, whilst soccer is a game for gentleman played by brutes.

I remember thinking what an obnoxious ***bag.

Limerick is tiny. The very fact that Limerick is even mentioned with regards to rugby shows how small the rugby fraternity is in Ireland. Nobody mentions Limerick or Waterford or Cork as special re football.

Also, hurling is now way ahead of Rugby in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How true is this Limerick working man rugby thing anyway? If you go into a rough estate there where people wear grey tracksuits and all have the same haircuts, the youngfellas are hardly throwing rugby balls around and practicing line outs? I never believed this bullsh*t, it's a posh sport all over Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

How true is this Limerick working man rugby thing anyway? If you go into a rough estate there where people wear grey tracksuits and all have the same haircuts, the youngfellas are hardly throwing rugby balls around and practicing line outs? I never believed this bullsh*t, it's a posh sport all over Ireland.

how would you react if somebody said boxing was a sport only for scummy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

how would you react if somebody said boxing was a sport only for scummy lads.

To be honest it wouldnt be far from the truth...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

We will have to let tadgh furlong and sean o brien know that they are posh lads from private schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Limerick is an outlier in terms of rugby in Ireland.

It's not that it is played in every estate it's that no matter what estate you are from you can play it if your good enough...and the club rugby scene in Limerick was woven into the cities culture, including all estates in a way no other sport is....

Limerick's culture is very consistent in that regard, not just rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Limericks negative press only stems from few large experimental housing projects Other than that it’s grand

We will have to let tadgh furlong and sean o brien know that they are posh lads from private schools.

neither of them are from Limerick, and plenty of posh people go to non private schools

neither of them are from Limerick, and plenty of posh people go to non private schools

Right but they are from new ross and tullow respectively, they are from working class background just to be clear, exception to every rule and all that.

Right but they are from new ross and tullow respectively, they are from working class background just to be clear, exception to every rule and all that.

But we were talking about Limerick, those two are irrelevant

I recall the attitude to rugby in Ireland during the 80s was that if you were outside the stereotypical D4 clique...you had a harder time getting picked for Ireland. Basically a game played by D4 poofs...

Anyone else remember the Tony Ward v Ollie Campbell debate? Tony Ward was generally regarded as the better player but because he was a lowly teacher from Limerick his face didnt quiet fit with the IRFU blazers. Even Dermot Morgan had a sketch on it.

There was also a perception that the Munster lads were far far too agricultural and were only picked under sufferance. In other words, if it was a close run thing between a Leinster player with an impeccable background and a Munster player then it was the Leinster player everytime.

This was all during the amateur era I hasten to add and just my vague recollection from the late 80s and early 90s.

You had the hilarious situation that some of the great English players of the era would never have been picked for Ireland i.e. not from the right background. They even had police officers and tradesmen...:eek:

Apologies thelonius this was the thrust of what I thought the conversation was. Just to say that most walks of life are a least a little bit represented at national level, it's not an exclusive thing as much as it used to be. In fact you would argue that we need more of those guys given the pairs clear footballing skills, desire to work and farmer/working strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I recall the attitude to rugby in Ireland during the 80s was that if you were outside the stereotypical D4 clique...you had a harder time getting picked for Ireland. Basically a game played by D4 poofs...

Anyone else remember the Tony Ward v Ollie Campbell debate? Tony Ward was generally regarded as the better player but because he was a lowly teacher from Limerick his face didnt quiet fit with the IRFU blazers. Even Dermot Morgan had a sketch on it.

There was also a perception that the Munster lads were far far too agricultural and were only picked under sufferance. In other words, if it was a close run thing between a Leinster player with an impeccable background and a Munster player then it was the Leinster player everytime.

This was all during the amateur era I hasten to add and just my vague recollection from the late 80s and early 90s.

Tony Ward (excellent footballer as well) was from Dublin but attended the NIHE (now UL) but your point still stands....there were a ball of Limerick based players who didn't get the opportunities their talent deserved...including Keith Earls father.

I also remember at the beginning of the AIL, it was the belief, in media anyway, that the league would be dominated by Dublin and Belfast teams...they got that one wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

.anon. wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder if some people on here are capable of reading. Or are you just too blinded by your victim complex to see that she also didn't say that every man is a potential murderer. Or, indeed, anything like it.

She didn't say that every man is a murderer. That's true.

She did ask for a curfew on men though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'm beginning to think that the anti mask protesters are on to something.

I don't know what exactly but I'm beginning to think that something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I'm beginning to think that the anti mask protesters are on to something.

I don't know what exactly but I'm beginning to think that something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I am in England and there has always been very strong rumours since day one that the Covid figures are massively inflated. I have had doctors and nurses rolling their eyes with a nod and a wink..and straight up saying that not as bad as it is made out...plus hospitals sticking down Covid on every death certificate no matter what and families calling BS on it.

Speaking to a guy today at work. His brother is an A&E consultant locally ....this was not some crazy loon at a bus stop...his brother admitted that the hospital gets £35k per Covid death listed. Make of that what you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I am in England and there has always been very strong rumours since day one that the Covid figures are massively inflated. I have had doctors and nurses rolling their eyes with a nod and a wink..and straight up saying that not as bad as it is made out...plus hospitals sticking down Covid on every death certificate no matter what and families calling BS on it.

Speaking to a guy today at work. His brother is an A&E consultant locally ....this was not some crazy loon at a bus stop...his brother admitted that the hospital gets £35k per Covid death listed. Make of that what you will...

There were strong rumours Covid was transmitted by 5G too. I work in healthcare and know a pathologist and all the above is BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have....you are talking a load of nonsense.
    Rolling eyes and nods and winks....lol....ssssure
    The 35k thing....is just laughable...come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Can we just declare as a US colony / satellite state. We are defacto that anyway but doing it might mean we get some vaccines a lot quicker.

547340.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 56,300 ✭✭✭✭walshb

To be honest it wouldnt be far from the truth...

I think scummy is probably the wrong word here, albeit scummy people can be found in all walks of life..

From my years around boxing, I’d certainly say the majority involved have a certain swagger and cockiness and confidence. A sharpness and roughness and almost short fuse feel.

Scummy people in the physical sense tend to have these traits. Short fuse, innate aggressiveness and roughness.

It’s boxing. It is bound have this level of natural aggression, physical and mental confidence, and cockiness. The sport requires real physical and mental traits/fortitude

Plus, the sport is very working class, and is a lot more prevalent in less salubrious type neighbourhoods.

But a key ingredient for scummy people is also a lack of care and humanity and empathy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Hamachi wrote: »
    I remember a particularly obnoxious D4 girl in college once declaring that rugby is a game for brutes, played by gentlemen, whilst soccer is a game for gentleman played by brutes

I think the full saying is “Soccer is a gentlemen’s game played by gurriers, rugby is a gurriers’ game played by gentlemen, and GAA is a gurriers’ game played by gurriers.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Funny you name two of the more down-to-earth and sounder (although SOB let himself down with the pissing incident) lads in your argument.

Coincidence? I think not.

And actually there is plenty of posh-ness associated with Good Counsel school, even if the town itself wouldn't exactly be a mecca for sophistication.

Advertisement