Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

When a new clothes factory opens in Bangladesh etc there is a near riot with local trying to get jobs there.

Of course it is not perfect and I am not suggesting it is but you do need look at the whole picture with an open mind and don't just assume that everyone in third world countries are essentially slaves.

More often than not, the local Nike factory is the best paid and most sought after job in say, Vietnam. Don't assume that it is all bad.

Should they all be confined to the rice fields in perpetuity like a picture from some travel magazine?

What you say is 100% correct and a very depressing reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There should be no tax cuts in the upcoming budget.
    Fine but at least get rid of the "temporary" USC charge. And stop with the bullsh!t stealth taxes such as carbon tax. We all know carbon taxes aren't going into researching clean, renewable energy. We're not stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Fine but at least get rid of the "temporary" USC charge. And stop with the bullsh!t stealth taxes such as carbon tax. We all know carbon taxes aren't going into researching clean, renewable energy. We're not stupid!

No tax cuts but be sure to give the spongers who won't even vote a rise in welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Cordell wrote: »
    You have something that people want to buy, but plenty of others have it as well - free market self-regulating competitive commerce
    You have something that people want, and you're the only one that have it - price gouging, free market but not self-regulating and not competitive. Arguably, not commerce either.
    You have something that people want, and you're the only one that have it, and you're in this position because you bought all available somethings in order to create the situation described at the "price gouging" - touting, not free market. Should be illegal.

Oversimplifies it a bit, but also hope it's all clear now.

Sounds awfully similar to the housing/rental market if you swapped "want" for "need". But sure when its €10's or even €100's of let's get exercised with about the touts (Noel Rock) but when its €1000's or €10000's ie the Vultures or Landlords it's ok to "let the market decide"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Well, the danger here is that you are looking at the conditions in those countries with Western standards.

It is a fact that need for coffee, cocoa bean, cheap clothes has lifted tens of millions (if not hundreds) out of dire poverty in third world countries.

Lets say for arguments sake, that the West decided to cut consumption by 50%. What effect would that have?

When a new clothes factory opens in Bangladesh etc there is a near riot with local trying to get jobs there.

Of course it is not perfect and I am not suggesting it is but you do need look at the whole picture with an open mind and don't just assume that everyone in third world countries are essentially slaves.

More often than not, the local Nike factory is the best paid and most sought after job in say, Vietnam. Don't assume that it is all bad.

Should they all be confined to the rice fields in perpetuity like a picture from some travel magazine?

Consumerism is a trap. These people are lured to these jobs because they've been sold the lie that we in the west are all so happy with our stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noel1980

Man-made climate change and the climate crisis in general is a total hoax.

Also, people who are pushing the man-made climate climate change narrative are usually not scientists and usually cannot explain any of the science when pressed, and usually just refer to the 97% consensus of the "experts" on the topic, yet they never seem to independently investigate the issue themselves.

Furthermore, people who attend climate change protests are low-intelligence hippies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

noel1980 wrote: »

Also, people who are pushing the man-made climate climate change narrative are usually not scientists and usually cannot explain any of the science when pressed, and usually just refer to the 97% consensus of the "experts" on the topic, yet they never seem to independently investigate the issue themselves.

Furthermore, people who attend climate change protests are low-intelligence hippies.

Yep humans are so bad supposedly but if we didn’t exist and cows were allowed to multiply unchecked think how many cows would be farting up the ozone layer. It’d be 37 degrees in Greenland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Read a book. Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Read a book. Jesus.

The Bible?

BDI wrote: »
    Yep humans are so bad supposedly but if we didn’t exist and cows were allowed to multiply unchecked think how many cows would be farting up the ozone layer. It’d be 37 degrees in Greenland.

That reminds me, what ever happened to the "ozone layer"? When I was a kid I never stopped hearing about the ozone layer and how we were destroying the ozone layer. What happened, did they fix it or what? :P

BTW 37 degrees in Greenland doesn't sound half bad. Imagine what it would do for Greenland's tourism :D

• Advertisement

BDI wrote: »
    The Bible?

Lol nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

That reminds me, what ever happened to the "ozone layer"? When I was a kid I never stopped hearing about the ozone layer and how we were destroying the ozone layer. What happened, did they fix it or what? :P

BTW 37 degrees in Greenland doesn't sound half bad. Imagine what it would do for Greenland's tourism :D

Don't forget the acid rain..It was going to dissolve all the concrete once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Another world war would set a lot of things straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

beejee wrote: »
    Maybe, but I'd kinda still prefer the whole "not being at war" thing going by the previous world wars!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Women should also ask for consent : )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's not an unpopular opinion.

It's a stupid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Obesity is (unless intellectual disability) solely the person's fault and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Rodin wrote: »
    Obesity is solely the person's business and nothing else.

There, I've fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yes

Are you actually saying that it is a disgrace that an Irish company uses a mixed race couple in an ad?
    If so, why is it a disgrace?

Almost every ad these days uses a mixed-race couple.

Advertising has never been realistic. Unrealistically happy and attractive people, unrealistically white teeth, unrealistically clean clothes...

It's how you sell things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

beejee wrote:

Being dead would be interesting to try I guess

There, I've fixed that for you.

Except when you have a public healthcare system and everyone is paying to fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I have no interest in GAA,Golf or Rugby.
    I don't even consider them sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Horseracing is not a sport. If there was no gambling, nobody would look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Some people confuse facts and opinions, and these people are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The drink driving limit is too high / low?
    1 pint or even 2 is ok .
    Driving while tired / exhausted is more dangerous.
    And before people jump on me about road deaths caused by drink drivers I'm not talking about them who drive after 8 pints and 6 vodkas

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Horseracing is not a sport. If there was no gambling, nobody would look at it.

There is no gambling at the world's richest horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's just a shame nuclear weapons have become a thing otherwise we'd have a good clear out of the unnecessary.

Europe is being taken by Germany again and our population is being replaced.

The Americans are being replaced and the leftists want to take the guns that protect them.

The Russians are annexing the old territories to get the band back together, against their will.

The Islamists have taken nearly the entire of Africa.

The Indians and Pakistanis need to just have it out, last man standing.

The Saudis and Iranians are having proxy wars left right and centre.

"Diplomacy" doesn't work. A good old fashioned rebalancing of power is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Sometimes no means yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I have no interest in GAA,Golf or Rugby.
    I don't even consider them sports.

Unpopular opinion for Damask there, is shockingly absolutely unpopular, and quantifiably false. It's a sport, you f***ing *******. And I timed those ** right.

I don't want to call Mr. Damask a retard, because if I did it would be ban worthy, but it's so unbelievably stupid that I feel bad having read it. My IQ having being lowered by reading his original comment, I'll try go from here.

Sports: forms of competitive physical activity or games which,through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, a nd in some cases, entertainment for spectators

Go on. Argue against that, you ****ing muppet. I'm sure it'll be fun for someone.

PS. This post took me all of about a minute.

Advertisement