Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

KissMeArse wrote: »
    Horse racing isn't a sport.

Or motor racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It's their culture.

I have family abroad who work with displaced refugees from all over the middle east- some of the stories would break your heart.

Several of the families they work with have decided to carry on procreating, with 4,5,6 kids born while they await their 'forever home'.

I don't know who in their right mind would choose to expand their families at such a time, but apparently it's a cultural thing (despite literally not having so much as a nappy to offer the kid).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There are far too many people having children. The world is so overpopulated.

The issue is the wrong people have been having children. Governments have given away too many subsidies and payments to have children but the middle classes and high earners are too time poor and burdened by taxation to have them. As a result an increasing amount of children are being born into households partly or fully dependent on the state and these kids are growing up in poorer health, with worse educational outcomes and career prospects.

We are accelerating the pensions funding cliff instead of pushing it further out. Parents in middle and upper high earning families are now having to send their kids to gaelscoils (despite them not having a lick of Irish) or private schools in order to give their kids a decent chance of not being caught in the educational drain occurring in public schools.

We are really building a massive education gap here where public schools in a few decades will be producing students who are barely ready for university or the world of work and all of the top positions and course places will be going to the diminishing stock of privately educated kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The issue is the wrong people have been having children. Governments have given away too many subsidies and payments to have children but the middle classes and high earners are too time poor and burdened by taxation to have them. As a result an increasing amount of children are being born into households partly or fully dependent on the state and these kids are growing up in poorer health, with worse educational outcomes and career prospects.

We are accelerating the pensions funding cliff instead of pushing it further out. Parents in middle and upper high earning families are now having to send their kids to gaelscoils (despite them not having a lick of Irish) or private schools in order to give their kids a decent chance of not being caught in the educational drain occurring in public schools.

We are really building a massive education gap here where public schools in a few decades will be producing students who are barely ready for university or the world of work and all of the top positions and course places will be going to the diminishing stock of privately educated kids.

Well said, Both me and the missus have good jobs but 2's the max - reallity of affording them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

People who lack honesty about gender issues under the cloak of equality.
    There is always an air of pretense and/or delusion about it.

There were two on the same morning radio show that annoyed me today. A texter giving out about an interviewers question to a professional woman about whether she misses her kids and how she balances it. Would he have asked a man etc - said the texter.

But the truth is women are a lot more nurturing and caring about any child than men are. Never mind their own. Throw in a baby in an office environment and watch the women's reaction v the men's reaction. It is nature at work.

Then in the same interview women's sport was discussed, without ever asking why women do not support women's sport in large numbers. Bar women's tennis I cannot think of one where men would seriously watch in large numbers.

It always seems to be superficial lip service in the name of equality - and practicalities such as standard of play, pool of players, tradition are never discussed. A texter made a comment that the Cork ladies did a six in a row before the Dublin men's footballers. I get the impression that people who say that not regular supporters of the women's game. They just say things to make an 'equality' point. It is never honest and never goes very deep because arguments, could fall apart very quickly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The Premier League is not really a sports competition when some clubs can buy £100 Million players and pay the players £250,000 per week whereas for other clubs, that's five times their entire budget for the whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Well said, Both me and the missus have good jobs but 2's the max - reallity of affording them.

See that there is whole con job

Its not the kids that you can't afford , There quite cheap to keep alive and clothed and so on ,

Its the house , its the child care, its the cars ,its the luxuries of life that we can't afford but them prices won't drop because they say sure you can afford it if you only have X amount of kids, and then people look at the kids as the issue ,

See that there is whole con job

Its not the kids that you can't afford , There quite cheap to keep alive and clothed and so on ,

When I have kids, I want to make sure I can afford to give them the best shot at a happy life- that includes supporting hobbies, interests and offering any academic support they might need (grinds etc).

I also want to make sure they're fit and healthy (a good balanced diet, sports etc).

That all costs money- even if they're wearing hand me downs and penneys' finest.

When I have kids, I want to make sure I can afford to give them the best shot at a happy life- that includes supporting hobbies, interests and offering any academic support they might need (grinds etc).

I also want to make sure they're fit and healthy (a good balanced diet, sports etc).

That all costs money- even if they're wearing hand me downs and penneys' finest.

Wow …………….how has nobody ever thought of that before ( in joking)

This might blow your mind but everyone wants there best for there kids, But if poor people didn't also have children the world would not have got some of its greatest minds and most memorable world changing people ,

This might blow your mind but everyone wants there best for there kids, But if poor people didn't also have children the world would not have got some of its greatest minds and most memorable world changing people ,

Obviously it's not possible that everyone who has kids can give them the opps others could- doesn't mean they shouldn't have them.

We're talking about people who keep churning them out despite not having the resources (time OR money) to actually raise them right. 5 or 6 kids who are dragged up and repeat the cycle themselves when they reach childbearing age.

• Advertisement

Obviously it's not possible that everyone who has kids can give them the opps others could- doesn't mean they shouldn't have them.

We're talking about people who keep churning them out despite not having the resources (time OR money) to actually raise them right. 5 or 6 kids who are dragged up and repeat the cycle themselves when they reach childbearing age.

I'll never say who should or shouldn't have children ,its just morally correct & its none of my business ,

What if a rich person has all the money in the world to take care of a child but does not have the attributes to raise a child correctly ? will you be putting a ban on them to ?

What if one of your children fell in love with someone form one of those homes ,would you tell them there partner should never have been born ?

What if someone from one of these backgrounds has 5 kids and 4 are terrible but one changes the world for people ? is that then ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Quazzie wrote: »
    What annoys me is when people leave the country they claim to love to go live somewhere else, then come home giving out about how shítty the place is. You moved away once, so feel free to stay away if ya don't like the place

Some Irish have very thin skin.

What if one of your children fell in love with someone form one of those homes ,would you tell them there partner should never have been born ?

What if someone from one of these backgrounds has 5 kids and 4 are terrible but one changes the world for people ? is that then ok ?

It's always been the case that gems and 'white sheep' in even the sh*ttest of families. Just like there can be absolute scumbags in the best of ones.

But the sheer numbers game of it is that there are too many dragged up scummers around- last night on the Samuel Beckett bridge being case and point.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that if you look at each of the families involved you'll find lack of finance and sheer apathy at play in the majority of cases.

And it's the tax payer that collects the bill for the lifestyles and their rehabilitation.

All social housing units in the centre of Dublin should be demolished and redeveloped for private use, and it's inhabitants transported as humanely as possible to newly built housing at the outskirts of the city.

The city centre would be revitalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I have family abroad who work with displaced refugees from all over the middle east- some of the stories would break your heart.

Several of the families they work with have decided to carry on procreating, with 4,5,6 kids born while they await their 'forever home'.

I don't know who in their right mind would choose to expand their families at such a time, but apparently it's a cultural thing (despite literally not having so much as a nappy to offer the kid).

We weren't too different and up to not so very long ago.
    Small houses packed with children.
    A few to pack off abroad to send money back, a few to live at home and look after the parents, one or two shipped off to the religious orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm dreading all this talk about a United Ireland because it's going to on and on.

We weren't too different and up to not so very long ago.
    Small houses packed with children.
    A few to pack off abroad to send money back, a few to live at home and look after the parents, one or two shipped off to the religious orders.

We also had the highest infant mortality in Europe. I don't think that standard living is one we care to see repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Boards should have an annual purge where you can say whatever the f**k you want to anyone for 24hrs without penalty.

Is that not the purpose of the Restrictions thread in the Covid forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

paw patrol wrote: »
    You say "Each to their own and all that" but you have just demanded that society suit your wants. Does not compute tbh.

Not demanding, giving my opinion is all. I'm well aware I'm the "strange" one when compared to most adults, so I would never demand someone follow my beliefs or demand/tell anyone to change. Not my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Not demanding, giving my opinion is all. I'm well aware I'm the "strange" one when compared to most adults, so I would never demand someone follow my beliefs or demand/tell anyone to change. Not my place.

no problem just being smart tbh , prob just your choice of words
    plenty of "should" below
    Extremely unpopular opinions (now that I've discovered this thread is still alive):

- I've enjoyed/am enjoying lockdown and have no issues with it continuing (noting that I'm lucky to have a job I can work from home).
    - Festivals/concerts numbers should be slashed, the days of thousands of people (usually drinking) gathered in a field should be over.
    - Same for pubs/clubs, numbers should be limited. Should be no more shoulder to shoulder pubs/clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

All social housing units in the centre of Dublin should be demolished and redeveloped for private use, and it's inhabitants transported as humanely as possible to newly built housing at the outskirts of the city.

The city centre would be revitalised.

Yeah lets just have a purge !

Eh no

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No purge, but social housing should only be provided outside the capital city as it would be cheaper to provide so more of it could be provided for the same cost to the taxpayer. By providing social housing in Dublin, the government is exacerbating the shortage of housing in the city and driving up housing costs, creating affordability issues for many classes of workers such as nurses, teachers, etc. SH in Dublin is a double whammy on taxpayers because it makes housing more expensive for themselves and also makes their taxes higher than necessary because it's more expensive to provide than if it were built elsewhere.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Yeah lets just have a purge !

Eh no

As humanely as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

cnocbui wrote: »
    No purge, but social housing should only be provided outside the capital city as it would be cheaper to provide so more of it could be provided for the same cost to the taxpayer. By providing social housing in Dublin, the government is exacerbating the shortage of housing in the city and driving up housing costs, creating affordability issues for many classes of workers such as nurses, teachers, etc. SH in Dublin is a double whammy on taxpayers because it makes housing more expensive for themselves and also makes their taxes higher than necessary because it's more expensive to provide than if it were built elsewhere.

Big problem also is building housing estates in areas that anyone local would not go near. Few new ones here all getting built in area's that are known for anti social behavour.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Big problem also is building housing estates in areas that anyone local would not go near. Few new ones here all getting built in area's that are known for anti social behavour.

Why would incentivising people to do nothing with their lives lead to generations of anti social behaviour? I don't understand why...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I was there in my 20s, stuck in the thick of it myself, and thinking back, I never actually liked it. I much preferred the house before going out or the quiet bar where you could chat with no distractions (tvs, bands, other usually drunk and annoying people). Now, I look back on it all and see the germs. I don't want to, but I do. I was already turning into a hermit, but covid has made me get a blowtorch to seal the door so I can't get out.

Each to their own and all that, but my days of festivals, concerts, pubs and clubs is all but over. I'm dreading being invited to a wedding, but at least you can keep somewhat of a distance with them.

A possibly not very unpopular opinion, weddings should be family and close friends only.

Your immune system needs germs though.

Lots of people going to make themselves very sick in the years ahead with a totally sterile germ-avoidant lifestyle I predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

growleaves wrote: »
    Your immune system needs germs though.

Lots of people going to make themselves very sick in the years ahead with a totally sterile germ-avoidant lifestyle I predict.

I suspect there'll be a massive increase in the diagnosis of OCD in the coming years. Someone I know well suffered from it for years. It's a miserable way to live a life.

I suspect there'll be a massive increase in the diagnosis of OCD in the coming years. Someone I know well suffered from it for years. It's a miserable way to live a life.

My 13 year old sister in law is already showing signs. She's compulsive about the handwashing and gets distressed if she thinks everyone else hasn't done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,291 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My 13 year old sister in law is already showing signs. She's compulsive about the handwashing and gets distressed if she thinks everyone else hasn't done the same.

I read that first sentence completely wrong!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Why would incentivising people to do nothing with their lives lead to generations of anti social behaviour? I don't understand why...

I'm imagining someone buying one of these houses and waking up one morning and finding a malnourished horse in their front garden or coming out of the estate onto the bypass and a sulky hitting them.

Advertisement