Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

Stephen Kenny is a tactical genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Too many people are afraid to say Covid has been a god send for them. Extra lie on in the morning rather than travelling to work for many in public service jobs. Saving money, more family time, people not that concerned with travel etc. Those in relationships.

If like me, your single, it's a nightmare.

Not just public service jobs surely?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

.anon. wrote: »
    Formula 1, pre-2000. It stopped being a sport around the time that I stopped enjoying it. Soccer is sometimes a sport, depending on who's playing and whether I care about either team. Also, snooker, depending on whether O'Sullivan is playing. If he's playing, it's a sport. If it's Dott v Ebdon, it's not a sport.

It's OK for a five year old kid to kick a ball or something around and have fun with it! Yeah.

Or even the art of competing in a game, I get.

But to see a nation of people getting excited about a bunch of grown adults kick a ball of leather around the field, and get so excited about it?
    The matches, the rugby, the soccer, all that?
    Olé, Olé, Olé?

And they get so paid for it?

Bollix.
    It's nonsense, all of it.

And, do you know what would be most controversial, and I mean no insult, but parents buying the kids the soccer jerseys stuff, or bringing them up to follow a team.
    Awful :(

And even if it's a local team, yeah, it introduces emblems and competitiveness..
    It just doesn't sit with me well.

And how the wealthy soccer clubs pick one person, and ever kid in the working class area then thinks they could be like them...

I can't think of anything so exploitative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

growleaves wrote: »
    Your immune system needs germs though.

Lots of people going to make themselves very sick in the years ahead with a totally sterile germ-avoidant lifestyle I predict.

Oh I agree, I'm not gonna become a sterile champion or anything, but I will be avoiding large gatherings and sharing, well, anything. I game and I snack!
    If like me, your single, it's a nightmare.

I'm single, and I'm pure McDonalds about it. But I also know I'm usually the exception to the rule.

Unpopular opinion: People should only be allowed 1 recreational flight a year.

Edit: Thanks for ohnonotgmail, 1 recreational return flight a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oh I agree, I'm not gonna become a sterile champion or anything, but I will be avoiding large gatherings and sharing, well, anything. I game and I snack!

I'm single, and I'm pure McDonalds about it. But I also know I'm usually the exception to the rule.

Unpopular opinion: People should only be allowed 1 recreational flight a year.

How do they get back home again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Sometimes kids and teenagers have bad anxiety about things and it's mainly brought on by their parents blowing stuff out of all proportion and taking things to seriously.

Most kids are soft and full of sh1t. Bit of hard life would do them softies no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Tom Cruise is an amazing actor and his name on a billboard guarantees people will check out the movie

I don't care about his religion and I don't care about yours either. Too much religion bashing going on

The IMHO part of this forum's name is misleading. There should be a P somewhere in the initialism. For permissable.
    This may be an impermissable unpopular, albeit honest, opinion. :)

Sometimes kids and teenagers have bad anxiety about things and it's mainly brought on by their parents blowing stuff out of all proportion and taking things to seriously.

This strikes me regularly also. Just this morning I watched a video compilation of small kids reacting to news that their mother was pregnant - one of those supposedly uplifting cute things. The amount of neurotic over-stimulated kids was unnerving. Entrained like Cyber-Billy-Barry kids to produce hyper emotional responses for the ever present all seeing (camera) eye. Stop doing this, people. Let your children be chilled out individuals who could not give a fcuk from your manufactured dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Not so much with kids but certainly with some teens and adults, “anxiety” has become a bit in vogue and it’s indulged to the point it is almost seen as a personality trait.

With the influencer types the bi-yearly “I’m suffering” posts seem part of the business plan. Gonna get those likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Tom Cruise is an amazing actor and his name on a billboard guarantees people will check out the movie

I don't care about his religion and I don't care about yours either. Too much religion bashing going on

The mission impossible series is better than that Robert Downey junior racket

I love TC on screen, watching Collateral recently, terrific performance by Cruise

He's probably quite mad but he's a phenomenal competitor

this Beacon hospital vacines story is a complete nothing burger and nothing but a sideshow designed to deflect attention from the overall shambles of the HSE re_ the vaccine rollout

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Not so much with kids but certainly with some teens and adults, “anxiety” has become a bit in vogue and it’s indulged to the point it is almost seen as a personality trait. ...... Gonna get those likes.

the prime reason of existence for many a woke facebook profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,286 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The mission impossible series is better than that Robert Downey junior racket

I love TC on screen, watching Collateral recently, terrific performance by Cruise

He's probably quite mad but he's a phenomenal competitor

Cruise has delivered some top class performances through the years.

Last few years I find him so predictable and boring. All these OTT action movies..

He just doesn’t do it for me in them. Very little depth in them as regards acting skills.

Cruise showed his greatness in his earlier films: Rain Man, Born 4th July, Interview with Vampire, Magnolia, The Firm, Jerry MaGuiure, Few Good Men, Risky Business....grade A performances!!

walshb wrote: »
    Cruise showed his greatness in his earlier films: Rain Man, Born 4th July, Interview with Vampire, Magnolia, The Firm, Jerry MaGuiure, Few Good Men, Risky Business....grade A performances!!

all over 25 years ago.

Last few years I find him so predictable and boring. All these OTT action movies..

He just doesn’t do it for me in them. Very little depth in them as regards acting skills.

i like Cruise more than i ever did since he embraced the action man profile , used to be lukewarm about him

hes physically a fearless competitor

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

American made is good cruise movie , outside his usual zone but shows what he can do.

American made is good cruise movie , outside his usual zone but shows what he can do.

Yes. That was a good performance..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LMC7

The step count brigade on social media.
    I did 5,000 steps,10,000 steps....I've done 7,000 steps before breakfast I'll do the other 7 after lunch.Drives me mad.

Seems such a weird measure for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    this Beacon hospital vacines story is a complete nothing burger and nothing but a sideshow designed to deflect attention from the overall shambles of the HSE re_ the vaccine rollout

IMO, the HSE is awful at many things, but vaccine rollouts are something we do well in Ireland consistently, both at the new-born level, yearly flu jabs and the COVID-19 vaccines. The HSE is purely supply constrained and will ramp quickly as supply arrives. People who haven't educated themselves to the details and quickly jump on the HSE bashing train are people whose critical opinions can be discounted very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

LMC7 wrote: »
    The step count brigade on social media.
    I did 5,000 steps,10,000 steps....I've done 7,000 steps before breakfast I'll do the other 7 after lunch.Drives me mad.

Seems such a weird measure for exercise.

The vast majority of us lead reasonably boring lives.

That's bad enough. Why would we want to drag others down with us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

People who constantly go on about gender balance yet you never hear them mention it with regards to working in the sewers, road works or bin men sorry that should be bin persons :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If I was interviewing someone for a job, and I found out they were over 25 and into dance music, it would be a huge red flag for me to hiring them.

I would automatically assume they are immature, probably have a party lifestyle, maybe even use drugs use recreationally, and thus would be unrealible to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

If I was interviewing someone for a job, and I found out they were over 25 and into dance music, it would be a huge red flag for me to hiring them.

I would automatically assume they are immature, probably have a party lifestyle, maybe even use drugs use recreationally, and thus would be unrealible to work.

I'm mid forties and still listen to house, techno and electronica amongst other music. It was a long time, even before Covid, since I've going clubbing and if I'm going to gigs these days I don't drink because I like to drive home afterwards. It's an absolutely daft assumption to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I'm mid forties and still listen to house, techno and electronica amongst other music. It was a long time, even before Covid, since I've going clubbing and if I'm going to gigs these days I don't drink because I like to drive home afterwards. It's an absolutely daft assumption to make.

And if it came up in a job interview you’d have to imagine it was more of a “passion” than, say, a part of their weekend nightlife.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm older than that, drive a Honda Civic type R and like vocal trance and some EDM. For someone immature, I'm doing quite well.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm older than that, drive a Honda Civic type R and like vocal trance and some EDM. For someone immature, I'm doing quite well.

Honda Civic is a druggie car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you might be right, but you'd never fill a sales desk in that case. The amount of weekend warriors who are diligent employees 5 days a week then Friday 5.30pm till midnight Sunday are complete degenerates is quite astonishing. They usually give it up when they have kids but if you want to avoid someone using recreational drugs and partying all weekend, don't hire any extroverted person in the 18-35 bracket. If you have a problem with people cabbaged on a couch smoking weed all weekend , don't hire any introverted person 18-35.

You'd never know most of the time, id say its 50/50 on any person in that age range being a drug user.

You’re probably the exception to the rule

And me. I love dance/trance music...

Interesting fact: Goldman Sachs CEO, David Solomon is a big dance music enthusiast/DJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Honda Civic is a druggie car though.

I have some becoanse, aspirin, and cortisone cream; I guess guilty as charged.

Advertisement