Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

walshb wrote: »
    You’re probably the exception to the rule

And me. I love dance/trance music...

Interesting fact: Goldman Sachs CEO, David Solomon is a big dance music enthusiast/DJ

Pretty much everyone I went clubbing with is the same. All have settled down, have kids, good at their jobs and look after themselves. Most would still have a fondness for dance music although I don't think many would be keeping up with current trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Lol at the dance music.

Like all dance music? It's a very wide genre and I know as many who have 'settled down' that still go clubbing now and then. Every week? No, but you just need to know what nights and crowd will be in etc. Guess that's why it's in this thread.

I think I'd laugh at any one who refused or gave a job based on music choice and would be glad not to work with someone that shows such random decision making.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

km991148 wrote: »
    Like all dance music? It's a very wide genre

Must be the BOOM BOOM music.
    km991148 wrote: »
    would be glad not to work with someone that shows such random decision making.

Same.

And also people who worry about posting stuff on social media, because of what a potential employer might think.
    Like, you want to give your valuable time to people like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting fact: Goldman Sachs CEO, David Solomon is a big dance music enthusiast/DJ

As is nevin McGuire:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

former GS CEO Lloyd Blankfein is a huge Big Tom fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

you might be right, but you'd never fill a sales desk in that case. The amount of weekend warriors who are diligent employees 5 days a week then Friday 5.30pm till midnight Sunday are complete degenerates is quite astonishing. They usually give it up when they have kids but if you want to avoid someone using recreational drugs and partying all weekend, don't hire any extroverted person in the 18-35 bracket. If you have a problem with people cabbaged on a couch smoking weed all weekend , don't hire any introverted person 18-35.

You'd never know most of the time, id say its 50/50 on any person in that age range being a drug user.

I understand that. I am not that naive, and have friends that dabble in it on nights out.

But that's my point....sort of. A casual drug user or heavy party goer isn't going to reveal it in a job interview or casual chat with their perspective employer now are they? And the perspective boss would be none the wiser of their social life.

But if they mentioned they were into dance/techno music it could generally be inferred, but not guaranteed as some posters have already said, that they may lead a lifestyle that inhibits their employability. The sort of thing that you would expand on when you see music and going to concerts listed as their hobbies at the end of a CV.

Is all I am saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I understand that. I am not that naive, and have friends that dabble in it on nights out.

But that's my point....sort of. A casual drug user or heavy party goer isn't going to reveal it in a job interview or casual chat with their perspective employer now are they? And the perspective boss would be none the wiser of their social life.

But if they mentioned they were into dance/techno music it could generally be inferred, but not guaranteed as some posters have already said, that they may lead a lifestyle that inhibits their employability. The sort of thing that you would expand on when you see music and going to concerts listed as their hobbies at the end of a CV.

Is all I am saying.
    At your laughable job interview, You ask me to name two CDs I own, I reply that one is the latter recording of JS Bach's Goldberg Variations by Glen Gould and the other I name as the Silence single by Delerium.

Which one tells you what sort of employee I would make?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If I was interviewing someone for a job, and I found out they were over 25 and into dance music, it would be a huge red flag for me to hiring them.

I would automatically assume they are immature, probably have a party lifestyle, maybe even use drugs use recreationally, and thus would be unrealible to work.

So what music would you find acceptable ?

What would your opinion if they said any of the below ?
    Heavy Metal, Rap , Hip hop, Reggae, Ska , Jazz ,folk music

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So what music would you find acceptable ?

What would your opinion if they said any of the below ?
    Heavy Metal, Rap , Hip hop, Reggae, Ska , Jazz ,folk music

Id hire a few of each and try and recreate the atmosphere of school in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭randd1

Instead of National Service like they have in some countries, people should not be given the dole straight away once they turn 18/leave school if they are not going to college.

Instead, they should be put into a programme of Community Service where they work for the full dole, whereby they work 2/3 days a week for the local authorities doing various work (sweeping roads, maintaining green areas, helping keep hospitals clean) for a period of 2 years or until they get a another job.

The extra days off are for time to look for another job. And the work done would go down on their CV as a job worked as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 The Great

Unless you are in the army, only skangers wear tatoos

randd1 wrote: »
    Instead of National Service like they have in some countries, people should not be given the dole straight away once they turn 18/leave school if they are not going to college.

Instead, they should be put into a programme of Community Service where they work for the full dole, whereby they work 2/3 days a week for the local authorities doing various work (sweeping roads, maintaining green areas, helping keep hospitals clean) for a period of 2 years or until they get a another job.

The extra days off are for time to look for another job. And the work done would go down on their CV as a job worked as well.

What worries me is the opportunities for the worthless lazy work shy louts finding imaginative ways to injure themselves and sue the council for personal injuries ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The Great wrote: »

I hate Tramp Stamps.

I hate Tramp Stamps.

Especially on women .Ghastly

Are you from the 1920's or something ?

Id be more shocked to see a tramp stamp on a man ,

randd1 wrote: »

And they should be regularly monitored so they are proven to be actively looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I hate Tramp Stamps.

The arse antlers fad has aged poorly.

I really fancied a girl in college, gorgeous woman, after a while of getting to know her we scored, imagine my disappointment when I saw that horrible back tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Almost as if it's an unpopular opinion!

• Advertisement

I really fancied a girl in college, gorgeous woman, after a while of getting to know her we scored, imagine my disappointment when I saw that horrible back tattoo.

Did you have to disappointedly keep scoring or did you walk away with your dignity intact?

Did you have to disappointedly keep scoring or did you walk away with your dignity intact?

The former, for a few weeks. :)

No, just someone with better standards

Nothing worse than the gullible fools who follow trends getting meaningless tattoos or tattoos that they don't understand the meaning too.

Just like in the 1920's , in 2021, only rough skangers get tattoos

Ah, there is no harm having a bit of rough. Its college, so it didn't really matter. You won't be stained by it .

Ah, there is no harm having a bit of rough. Its college, so it didn't really matter. You won't be stained by it .

I look at it as a formative experience.

No, just someone with better standards

Nothing worse than the gullible fools who follow trends getting meaningless tattoos or tattoos that they don't understand the meaning too.

Just like in the 1920's , in 2021, only rough skangers get tattoos

Simply not true

People like Thomas Edison ,George Orwell. Teddy Roosevelt (many US presidents actually ) , Prince of Denmark are all tattooed , none are rough skangers .,

If you don't like them then that fine but your view of them is very uneducated

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Simply not true

People like Thomas Edison ,George Orwell. Teddy Roosevelt (many US presidents actually ) , Prince of Denmark are all tattooed , none are rough skangers .,

If you don't like them then that fine but your view of them is very uneducated

I don't think theres anything wrong with tattoos themselves but getting them on the hands , neck, face or a tramp stamp is literally the scummiest dumbest thing someone could do. Making themselves basically unemployable and telling the world that they lack any forward thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Face tattoos are tricky, they can be done tastefully though for those who wish to keep their professional options open.

20060613_123517_racist-2.jpg?w=200

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

nj27 wrote: »
    Face tattoos are tricky, they can be done tastefully though for those who wish to keep their professional options open.

20060613_123517_racist-2.jpg?w=200
    Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve :pac:
    Tattoos are a cultural thing for some people. You wouldn't call a Maori a scummer for eg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Tattoos are for people who want to stand out but lack the talent or intellect to do so naturally.

Advertisement