Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Think i read somewhere that people with a lot of face tattoos were more likely to have been abused as kids or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Same as most heroin users.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The arse antlers fad has aged poorly.

Brilliant description! :pac:

I know a few women who got these to look cool at the time, they now spend a lot of time pulling down their tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I don't think theres anything wrong with tattoos themselves but getting them on the hands , neck, face or a tramp stamp is literally the scummiest dumbest thing someone could do. Making themselves basically unemployable and telling the world that they lack any forward thought.

The best barber I ever went to had tattoos on his arms, hands, neck and face. He was far from unemployable because his employers weren't idiots and were able to judge him on his professional ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A lot of the current generation would say they are atheists or non-practising christians yet the vast majority of them will baptise their kids, do holy communion and confirmation. Most of them will go for the full church wedding too.
    They want to have their cake and eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Greyfox

A lot of the current generation would say they are atheists or non-practising christians yet the vast majority of them will baptise their kids, do holy communion and confirmation. Most of them will go for the full church wedding too.

True but they are not causing any harm. Traditions can take a long time to change

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Great wrote: »
    Unless you are in the army, only skangers wear tatoos

Or skangers in the army :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Yup. My parents were at me to baptise my child. When I told them I didn't want her indoctrinated into an institution that has knowingly protected child abusers they replied, "but sure isn't it a day out?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Antares35 wrote: »
    Yup. My parents were at me to baptise my child. When I told them I didn't want her indoctrinated into an institution that has knowingly protected child abusers they replied, "but sure isn't it a day out?" :D

It worth remembering that some parents will baptise their children as a means to get them a place in the school they want.

That's exactly why we baptised our Daughter

The majority of schools are still under patronage of the Church

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

ShyMets wrote: »

It worth remembering that some parents will baptise their children as a means to get them a place in the school they want.

Is baptism barrier still a requirement? I know that it was removed by law s number of years ago but what is the reality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is baptism barrier still a requirement? I know that it was removed by law s number of years ago but what is the reality?

I know a few people who send their kids to school and they all say we had to get Johnny baptised so he could go to the school. However in reality they are kids in the school of various religion or none at all.

Sure that can be done with the parents and two godparents in an hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Congratulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Congratulations

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I know a few people who send their kids to school and they all say we had to get Johnny baptised so he could go to the school. However in reality they are kids in the school of various religion or none at all.

I don't have any kids so I don't know what the reality is. However based on personal experience any of my nephews or cousins babies have been christened from 6 months or before their first birthday. None of these were enrolled before 3 at the earliest so any parent who is adamant that they needed to babtise their child is probably not correct.

There are other admission requirements but rarely the school is oversubscribed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Irish peoples obsession with a United Ireland and the Irish language is Irelands version of Brexit Britains "let's go back to the glory days".

I just couldn't care less about a United Ireland. Watching BBC NI news and seeing reporters in Larne or Coleraine and interviewing people. I don't feel they're the same as us at all.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Irish peoples obsession with a United Ireland and the Irish language is Irelands version of Brexit Britains "let's go back to the glory days".

I just couldn't care less about a United Ireland. Watching BBC NI news and seeing reporters in Larne or Coleraine and interviewing people. I don't feel they're the same as us at all.
    I think a lot of people just don't care and I think if there was a vote on it tomorrow we'd say leave them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

nj27 wrote: »
    Face tattoos are tricky, they can be done tastefully though for those who wish to keep their professional options open.

20060613_123517_racist-2.jpg?w=200

this is you on boards if you say anything remotely right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you ask the same people if they'd pay for a UI through a hike in their taxes or if they'd get off their arses and learn Irish themselves there'd be humming, hawing and excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

IMO i think it's mostly people from the North who think they're the only real Irish people. You'd have to wonder as some of them think they're so much better than us why do they even want a United Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm not a fan of people who claim to have baptised their kids in order for them to get into school.

You baptised them because you didn't have the guts to stand up to your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I'm not a fan of people who claim to have baptised their kids in order for them to get into school.

You baptised them because you didn't have the guts to stand up to your parents.

Or maybe they had no real objection to having their children baptized, but it’s not fashionable to articulate that opinion in ‘modern’ Ireland?

I respect people who are truly agnostic / atheistic who decide from the outset that their children won’t be receiving the sacraments.

However, there are many Irish people who see themselves as culturally catholic and are happy to go to mass at Christmas and Easter. Many of them have no real issues with their children being baptized, but are often chastised by others who are aggressively anti-religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If we have to have a “United Ireland” the flag should stay as the tricolour but stick a red hand in the middle, white, bit.

The anthem should be ‘Ireland’s Call’, as bad as that is. Maybe translate it into Irish?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

Hamachi wrote: »
    Or maybe they had no real objection to having their children baptized, but it’s not fashionable to articulate that opinion in ‘modern’ Ireland?

I respect people who are truly agnostic / atheistic who decide from the outset that their children won’t be receiving the sacraments.

However, there are many Irish people who see themselves as culturally catholic and are happy to go to mass at Christmas and Easter. Many of them have no real issues with their children being baptized, but are often chastised by others who are aggressively anti-religion.

This is the problem imo. Those people aren't anti-religion they're anti Catholic. When have you ever heard them say anything about another religion?

I would say real atheists wouldn't be bothered by another persons fate etc as they chose not to have any while another person does have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

If we have to have a “United Ireland” the flag should stay as the tricolour but stick a red hand in the middle, white, bit.

The anthem should be ‘Ireland’s Call’, as bad as that is. Maybe translate it into Irish?

You want an ugly flag with clashing colours and a horrible anthem!

Hamachi wrote: »

As an agnostic whose children were neither baptised nor received any of the other sacraments, and were the lone kids in rural schools not to do so, and willingly and happily from their points of view, it is atheists I find in general to be the most intolerant of all believers. By far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Judge Judy is a cnut.

Judge Judy is a cnut.

Of unbelievable mammoth proportions. I can't stand her. Her and that yoke from the weakest link. Eugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Antares35 wrote: »
    Of unbelievable mammoth proportions. I can't stand her. Her and that yoke from the weakest link. Eugh.

I dont get it. Anne Robinson is the new countdown host.

Nothing is sacred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Irish people are massively insecure and do anything just to be validated from foreigners.

They constantly cream themselves over a mention from Joe Biden or whenever someone famous mentions them. Ryan Tubridy embodies Irish people by giving them an Irish jersey and asking them if they're Irish when he has a foreign guest on.

You see it even in facebook comments. Jacinda Ardern might have a video up and you'd look in the comments and there's people there saying "Jacinda, here in ireland we wish we had politicians like you here :) The Irish are very jealous of your government!"

Similarly when someone says something bad about Ireland, we don't just take no notice of it, people take it to heart. Like when Jacinda said she doesn't want to be like Ireland only opening up the economy now...a lot of people got real thick and defensive over it!

Advertisement