Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Anyone who feels the need to inform others of their pronouns is mentally ill.

"look at me, look how much I care about people"

Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but reporting someone on this website/twitter/other site in an attempt to get them sanctioned or banned just because you don't like them or disagree with their opinions is the modern equivalent of giving information to the black and tans. It's sneaky and cowardly.

cnocbui wrote: »
    At your laughable job interview, You ask me to name two CDs I own, I reply that one is the latter recording of JS Bach's Goldberg Variations by Glen Gould and the other I name as the Silence single by Delerium.

Which one tells you what sort of employee I would make?

Liking classical and dance music, particularly the slower stuff is common enough. That’s what I get Spotify to play when I’m working from home. Last time I raved was never.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,285 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Irish people are massively insecure and do anything just to be validated from foreigners.

They constantly cream themselves over a mention from Joe Biden or whenever someone famous mentions them. Ryan Tubridy embodies Irish people by giving them an Irish jersey and asking them if they're Irish when he has a foreign guest on.

You see it even in facebook comments. Jacinda Ardern might have a video up and you'd look in the comments and there's people there saying "Jacinda, here in ireland we wish we had politicians like you here :) The Irish are very jealous of your government!"

Similarly when someone says something bad about Ireland, we don't just take no notice of it, people take it to heart. Like when Jacinda said she doesn't want to be like Ireland only opening up the economy now...a lot of people got real thick and defensive over it!

Yep..

We crave approval...

And are forever talking about ourselves being so great and cool and loved

Other countries just seem to get on with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

the vast majority of people are thick **** stupid.

• Advertisement

Irish people are massively insecure and do anything just to be validated from foreigners.

They constantly cream themselves over a mention from Joe Biden or whenever someone famous mentions them. Ryan Tubridy embodies Irish people by giving them an Irish jersey and asking them if they're Irish when he has a foreign guest on.

You see it even in facebook comments. Jacinda Ardern might have a video up and you'd look in the comments and there's people there saying "Jacinda, here in ireland we wish we had politicians like you here :) The Irish are very jealous of your government!"

Similarly when someone says something bad about Ireland, we don't just take no notice of it, people take it to heart. Like when Jacinda said she doesn't want to be like Ireland only opening up the economy nowhere ...a lot of people got real thick and defensive over it!

I think this opinion is both far from unpopular and totally wrong.

The number of people who even know who Jacinda Ardern is is pretty fcuking low I imagine.

walshb wrote: »
    Yep..

We crave approval...

Nonsense. Cliched rubbish. It’s much more common for posters like you to say that we think we are great than for anybody in Ireland to voice the opinion unironically.

This isn’t the same as the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yep..

We crave approval...

Typical Late Late speil with overseas guest (pre Covid)
    Are you enjoying Ireland?
    What do you think of Ireland?
    Have you any Irish ancestors? Cue flutter of excitement if they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yep..

We crave approval...

Well the USA like. They are the only nation I know of that say 'this is the greatest country in the world' and be totally serious.
    Like a standup said- It is like somebody going to a party and going around telling everyone how much better he is than them and why. Then he starts wondering why nobody wants to talk to him, so he shouts out loud 'you're all just jealous of how great I am' :D
    Well, it's funnier when he says it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Nonsense. Cliched rubbish. It’s much more common for posters like you to say that we think we are great than for anybody in Ireland to voice the opinion unironically.

This isn’t the same as the US.
    Agreed. My opinion is there is a cohort of Irish people who are obsessed with putting Irish people down (not themselves though :D) and they are actually the ones who are obsessed with how we are perceived, and never stop navel gazing in this regard, with everyone else just getting on with things. So I guess they are correct about some Irish people. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

lulublue22 wrote: »
    the vast majority of people are thick **** stupid.

That's accurate.

I'm not a huge fan of other people and the way I see it is that, rather than humans being the super geniuses that we think we are, there are differing degrees of stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

"Everyone is stupid except me" - H. Simpson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Apparently having reservations against the AZ/Oxford/UK/Brexit vaccine, or questioning what increasingly seems like an over glorified placebo with dangerous side effects, is an unpopular opinion on boards

When in fact I want a safe vaccine that is not a dumpster fire of issues as soon as possible (and unhealthier/older/more at risk are vaccinated of course)

Discuss

It sounds like you ran afoul of certain types who enjoy a good old witchhunt/pile on.
    Some people out there are already obsessing on the vax/anti-vax thing and are just looking for any available heretic to screech anti-vax accusations at from the safety of the crowd.

Personally I'd think its very safe, I would take it.
    I don't blame anyone who has concerns about it, it would be my less preferred option.

I very much suspect Astra of having rerouted EU destined stock on Bojo's command, I think they're dishonest and infiltrated/controlled by London, they were called out for faking figures by a U.S. medicines organization, they're shady in my book.

But I still think their vaccine is ok to take, if less preferable than pfizer's.
    Would take.

Apart from the related business taxes Twitter, youtube and facebook owe their users, and the public at large precisely fck all. I hope they ''censor'' to their hearts content.

Anyone complaining about censorship on these sites has no clue and is basically just pulling 'shoulds' out of their ass as and when it suits.

Its like ok lets absolutely ignore that very first bit about how I paid nothing, own nothing and signed terms saying I'm owed sht. Now, where is my 100% free service which I have decided you owe me because reasons.

Either enact legislation which makes these 'shoulds' a part of society or stfu whinging. They're like infants playing a board game, just arbitrary rules any time they're mildly displeased or inconvenienced.

At this point I would rather contract Covid than listen to anymore talk

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

A lot of the current generation would say they are atheists or non-practising christians yet the vast majority of them will baptise their kids, do holy communion and confirmation. Most of them will go for the full church wedding too.
    They want to have their cake and eat it.

I remember one kid in my class who didn't do those things or attend religion. I'm not saying it was right but he was perceived as a bit odd. So I wouldn't hold it against parents who'd have concerns about that for their own kids and just want them to fit in.

85603 wrote: »
    Apart from the related business taxes Twitter, youtube and facebook owe their users, and the public at large precisely fck all. I hope they ''censor'' to their hearts content.

Anyone complaining about censorship on these sites has no clue and is basically just pulling 'shoulds' out of their ass as and when it suits.

Its like ok lets absolutely ignore that very first bit about how I paid nothing, own nothing and signed terms saying I'm owed sht. Now, where is my 100% free service which I have decided you owe me because reasons.

Either enact legislation which makes these 'shoulds' a part of society or stfu whinging. They're like infants playing a board game, just arbitrary rules any time they're mildly displeased or inconvenienced.

Social media is a cancer.

Twitter is a digital sewer. Anyone foolish enough to frequent this site has no business discussing the merits of freedom of speech online.

Whistleblowers..

Also known as busybody snitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I remember one kid in my class who didn't do those things or attend religion. I'm not saying it was right but he was perceived as a bit odd. So I wouldn't hold it against parents who'd have concerns about that for their own kids and just want them to fit in.

All the more reason why religion shouldn't even be in school, shoehorned into the curriculum. I see many parents these days withholding their children from the sacraments. One I know took her child away to celebrate her "non communion" day. It looked great! :D

Anti religion: Even more annoying and pretentious as religion!!

It’s almost fashionable now to claim to be anti religion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Anti religion: Even more annoying and pretentious as religion!!

It’s almost fashionable now to claim to be anti religion...

Does not wanting your child indoctrinated into a particular religion while they are supposed to be getting an education make you "anti- religion"?

It's ironic that you choose to use the word fashionable - fashion being something that the herds blindly follow without thinking for themselves. Now who does that remind me of...

People are like this about a virus where 99.5% of people survive: "no way do I want to pass Covid to anyone, it's too dangerous!"

People die and get blood clots because of a virus rushed into production: "Ah the benefits are greater than the risks! Just take the damn thing!!"

People are like this about a virus where 99.5% of people survive: "no way do I want to pass Covid to anyone, it's too dangerous!"

People die and get blood clots because of a virus rushed into production: "Ah the benefits are greater than the risks! Just take the damn thing!!"

What is your source for the 99.5%? And what percentage of vaccine recipients get blood clots?

What is your source for the 99.5%? And what percentage of vaccine recipients get blood clots?

238k cases confirmed.

4.7k deaths.

98.03% is based on confirmed cases.

There have been far more cases of covid than confirmed though. Tiny % die from Covid.

238k cases confirmed.

4.7k deaths.

98.03% is based on confirmed cases.

There have been far more cases of covid than confirmed though. Tiny % die from Covid.

What percentage die from the vaccine?

Just trying to weigh things up.

What percentage die from the vaccine?

Just trying to weigh things up.

Doesn't matter, 99.5% is such a tiny risk.

Doesn't matter, 99.5% is such a tiny risk.

It does matter. Stick to MMA conspiracies.

It does matter. Stick to MMA conspiracies.

Seems big enough of a risk for countries to stop using the vaccine ;)

most of black mirror was just about fairly good, mildly entertaining. ok overall.

also tom hardy is an averagely decent to goodish actor, the cinephiles were all on some hardy bandwagon there for a while, probably an industry generated one, which led to a bunch of sheep bleating on about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Antares35 wrote: »
    Does not wanting your child indoctrinated into a particular religion while they are supposed to be getting an education make you "anti- religion"?

It's ironic that you choose to use the word fashionable - fashion being something that the herds blindly follow without thinking for themselves. Now who does that remind me of...

I really wish that the religious / semi-religious and atheists could stop needling one another.

It’s not right that a child and his/her family should feel ‘odd’ or excluded for choosing not to participate in the sacraments. There should be viable alternative activities, in which the kids can engage, whilst their classmates are preparing for communion or to be confirmed.

On the other hand, I object to this indoctrination or inability to think independently narrative that atheists propagate. My children will be attending catholic schools and will be receiving the sacraments. My wife and I are both well educated and work in intellectually challenging careers. We are in no way indoctrinated; we just believe that this is the right thing for our kids. Many other families feel similarly.

Now I do accept that catholic patronage of such a high % of schools is an issue for parents who do not wish their kids to be exposed to Catholicism. Unfortunately for you, that’s the reality in Ireland today. As I say above, hopefully the school will put in place alternatives for the cohort of children who are opted out by their families. However, I’d ask you to also consider that very many families, quite possibly the majority, are happy enough for their children to participate and have no major objections to faith formation. It’s got nothing to do with indoctrination.

Advertisement