Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Unpopular opinion for Damask there, is shockingly absolutely unpopular, and quantifiably false. It's a sport, you f***ing *******. And I timed those ** right.

I don't want to call Mr. Damask a retard, because if I did it would be ban worthy, but it's so unbelievably stupid that I feel bad having read it. My IQ having being lowered by reading his original comment, I'll try go from here.

Sports: forms of competitive physical activity or games which,through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, a nd in some cases, entertainment for spectators

Go on. Argue against that, you ****ing muppet. I'm sure it'll be fun for someone.

PS. This post took me all of about a minute.

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I have no interest in GAA,Golf or Rugby.
    I don't even consider them sports.

I don't really like golf and I fucking hate rugby, but the suggestion that they aren't sports is a really stupid one.

"I don't like it, so it's not a sport" - get to fuck.

I strongly dislike Irish people who hate the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Nelson Mandela is praised but Gerry Adams is vilified? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Rodin wrote: »
    There is no gambling at the world's richest horse race.

Possibly in the countries that the races are held because gambling is illegal. But I am sure you can go into your local paddy power here and bet on it.

I don't really like golf and I fucking hate rugby, but the suggestion that they aren't sports is a really stupid one.

"I don't like it, so it's not a sport" - get to fuck.

I strongly dislike Irish people who hate the GAA.

I hate the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So do I, the organisation is insular & backward and the sports are muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Very little skill involved in the football, being big and jumping high is the main skill, but sure each to their own I wouldn’t begrudge anyone a bit of jumping and catching and kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

It would actually give me a perverse kick to see Ireland completely bomb in the rugby World Cup. There is just something really annoying about all the fans and the huge expectation from the public, that I love watching us get annihilated.

Would never feel this way about the Irish soccer team, or any of our other national teams though. Just rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

seamusk84 wrote: »
    It would actually give me a perverse kick to see Ireland completely bomb in the rugby World Cup. There is just something really annoying about all the fans and the huge expectation from the public, that I love watching us get annihilated.

Would never feel this way about the Irish soccer team, or any of our other national teams though. Just rugby.

We will go out in the quarter final, we always do

Obesity is (unless intellectual disability) solely the person's fault and nothing else.

Some people are far more prone to weight gain, disciplined eating will keep almost everyone thin however

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

Derry Girls is absolutely terrible.

The first episode was brilliant, in some mad hyperbole I even told the missus (who hadn't seen it) it was Fr Ted level.

It fell off a cliff after a few episodes and the second series was just awful, I only watched it cos she does.

Though I will say the grandad and Tommy Tiernan's character get some great lines. But the main characters, it's tragic, amateur stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

noel1980 wrote: »
    That reminds me, what ever happened to the "ozone layer"? When I was a kid I never stopped hearing about the ozone layer and how we were destroying the ozone layer. What happened, did they fix it or what? :P

BTW 37 degrees in Greenland doesn't sound half bad. Imagine what it would do for Greenland's tourism :D

That was the biggest hoax of our time before global warming and now climate change came along.
    Unbelievable how naive some people can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

seamusk84 wrote: »

It's how cringeworthy the whole thing is. Anything that is so tied to old middle aged men is invariably hard to watch and easy to want to see crash and burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Sperm banks are an abomination that encourage eugenics and should be outlawed.

If a woman doesn't manage to attract a very tall, handsome, highly intelligent guy who is really healthy that's just tough. It's how animal reproductive systems work. How are other children supposed to compete with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It's how cringeworthy the whole thing is. Anything that is so tied to old middle aged men is invariably hard to watch and easy to want to see crash and burn.

ah now hang on a minute, "Anything that is so tied to old middle aged men"? That's ageist and sexist, not sure where that's coming from.

But yeah, I also hate the whole rugby thing. I don't particularly want to see them crash and burn, I just couldn't care less. If you have a genuine interest in it fine, but some people just seem to be bandwagoning.

Until about 12 years ago Irish rugby never had any sort of following like it does now. It wasn't a mainstream thing at all. It's mostly just mass-marketed hype. Before then I could appreciate rugby as a kind of niche interest game that I personally wasn't interested in watching much of, like show-jumping or Formula 1 or field hockey. And for those people it's fine to still be interested in their game (even if even George Hooke says the game is too dangerous with what they know now about concussion). But now you have all these dudebros and girls even coming out of the woodwork that are supposed hardcore fans madly excited and knowledgeable about rugby, when they would never even watch it only that their friends are.

I think what they're doing is they're taking Ireland at the World Cup in soccer as a template and saying - let's provide that sort of media coverage for the rugby. We'll have it all over the radio and tv, advertisements etc. and they're going to be saying it's so good because Ireland are high up in it, never mind the fact that there are like 12 countries in the world that take the game seriously.

Ireland at the World Cup in soccer is very different, it's happened only 3 times ever and the country has a genuine strong interest in the game. Most people played soccer at school even if it was only in the playground. The whole rugby phenomenon is so phony, I think it's stupid and hate it.

Guinness is getting behind the whole rugby juggernaut in earnest.
    With the advert

Pain Rugby Joy

I'm a Guinness drinker but this campaign is the dreggs.

Rugby fans will of course lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The Spanish killed more people from conquering South America than Hitler killed the Jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

vriesmays wrote: »
    The Spanish killed more people from conquering South America than Hitler killed the Jews.

The English probably killed more Irish in Ireland and Indians in India too.
    They actually had concentration camps at the same time as hitler,

Catching HIV doesn't make you a hero, garreth Thomas response is tedious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

washman3 wrote: »
    That was the biggest hoax of our time before global warming and now climate change came along.
    Unbelievable how naive some people can be.

You're right there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Yes, but the Spanish actually I read were pretty ****ty conquistadors. Weren't the Spanish who landed in Latin America in the Native American city horrified by the sacrifices and the torture their soliders went through? They lost many battles.

It was the smallpox that aided the Spanish. They couldn't have overtaken the Americas otherwise (even the settlement of the U.S by British).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Texas bbq are the nicest flavour pringles. A lot of people won't accept it, but it's a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I wonder what are the stats on South Americans killing South Americans in the Pre-Columbian era.

Those native empires were built subjugation and oppression of neighboring peoples.

It wasn't an arcadian utopia before the Europeans showed up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Your Face wrote: »
    I wonder what are the stats on South Americans killing South Americans in the Pre-Columbian era.

Those native empires were built subjugation and oppression of neighboring peoples.

It wasn't an arcadian utopia before the Europeans showed up.

And besides, every single empire/tribe on earth that was successful and expanded land took the other tribesmen as slaves and sold them off or sacrificed them. Even in Sub Saharan Africa.

People don't realize that Europeans were afraid of trekking in Sub Saharan Africa due to hostile terrain and animals/diseases so they relied on the ruling tribe to give them slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

And besides, every single empire/tribe on earth that was successful and expanded land took the other tribesmen as slaves and sold them off or sacrificed them. Even in Sub Saharan Africa.

People don't realize that Europeans were afraid of trekking in Sub Saharan Africa due to hostile terrain and animals/diseases so they relied on the ruling tribe to give them slaves.
    Ya it's conveniently over looked that Africans were selling other Africans as slaves. They weren't innocent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

the taoiseach Leo Varadkar hates ireland and he is single handidly destroying this country with his globalist obedience!

the taoiseach Leo Varadkar hates ireland and he is single handidly destroying this country with his globalist obedience!

No, he's just a run of the mill political mediocrity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Obesity is (unless intellectual disability) solely the person's fault and nothing else.

Whilst people are usually obese due to eating too much, to say that intellectual disability is the only other reason is erroneous. It’s not clear even why intellectual disability would cause obesity.

But anyway, for example: some prescription steroids (which some individuals are on long-term) powerfully stimulate hunger in some people, there are types of brain surgery that can leave a person with insatiable hunger if a certain part of the brain is affected and when it comes to stomach ulcers, some ulcers are irritated by eating whilst others are actually settled by eating. That last bit seems counterintuitive but it’s thought that food hitting the stomach dilutes down the acidity of the stomach acid and therefore aggravation of the ulcer lessens. I had a housemate who relieved stomach ulcer pain by eating. He wasn’t overweight because he wasn’t constantly plagued by the pain but others could be.

So, that’s a few examples where greed or intellectual disability aren’t the cause. And your opinion on them doesn’t really matter. They are what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

1. You should have to apply for a license to have a child (never going to happen). I don't believe that "everyone has a right to have a kid if they want one".

2. I believe (never going to happen) everyone should be GPS'd as birth, not micro-chipped like a cat or a dog but actually GPS'd. Would decrease crime to minute levels.

3. I think euthanasia should be legal for anyone who hasn't lost their marbles (might happen).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Unprotected sex rather than promiscuity but agreed that this celebration of him is ridiculous.

Unprotected sex is one of the most irresponsible, selfish things a person can engage in.

Advertisement