Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JimmyVik wrote: »
    You arent making much sense here.
    Im an athiest. You are clearly an athiest too.
    Are you a live and let live athiest, or do you want everyone else to be an athiest too?
    Does it hurt you if say the next poster is not an athiest?
    If not, then leave them be, we all just get along. If it does bother you, you are a preachy athiest im afraid.

i'm not an atheist at all. My issue is that you don't have an issue with religious people preaching but you do have an issue with atheist people "preaching". all very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Whether or not there is a God or some similar higher being I do not believe "we" will ever know/find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Oh and Athiests (Full disclosure here, i am one) who have to declare they are Athiest, but also being just plain mean to people who believe in God, Allah or whatever.

If someone believes in a God, let them be. Nobody is requiring you to believe in it, so what harm have they done to you?

Ive been to churches. Got married in a church. Children went to school which i assume is Catholic, but honestly i couldnt even be bothered if its catholic or not. They come home and say nice things about Jesus etc. which I think is actually nice.
    When they are old enough, like me, they can decide what they want to believe in, but its not like learning about the bible or whatever is going to do them any harm these days. I would like to think i bring them up to be critical thinkers.

Anyway, ive never caught fire in a church myself, so dont really care that other people believe Jesus is in there. When I do have to go to a church for a wedding or a christening I stand up, kneel down etc out of respect for those around me whos religion i am in the presence of.

Athiests need to get over themselves. They are actually worse than preachers the way they go on.

About as accurate and balanced a post on this as can be...my thoughts exactly....

On a different note, crudités are hard to love...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

There's something wrong with people who feel the need to whistle all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Antares35 wrote: »
    There's something wrong with people who feel the need to whistle all the time.

I usually whistle when ive done something wrong.
    And i dont even notice im doing it.
    Total giveaway to those who know me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

i'm not an atheist at all. My issue is that you don't have an issue with religious people preaching but you do have an issue with atheist people "preaching". all very odd.

I think the point being made is that Jimmy doesn’t care much for preaching of any sort - theistic, anti-theistic or otherwise. I’d be of the same opinion, but I’m not sure in Irish society it’s an altogether unpopular opinion. This, on the other hand, is a doozy -

ahem! if you need a religious education to encourage standards, morals and scruples in your children then you have failed as a parent.

Suggesting anyone has failed as a parent because they do not share your values is an opinion which is generally unpopular among people in Irish society. You gonna need your own ambo for that one hombre :D

In any case, what is not an opinion is that the State does not fund religious education. The State provides for education, and one of the criteria for any organisations which wish to be regarded as Patrons of schools by the State and wish to qualify for funding from the State which provides for education, is that they must teach the national curriculum. Their own curriculum, based upon the ethos of the school, whether it be religious or not, whatever world view it is based upon, is a matter for the organisations in question with regard to the establishment and patronage of schools.

The idea that parents have no choice but to enrol their children in schools in which the ethos of the school conflicts with their own world view, is simply not true. I know you’re familiar enough with the Irish Constitution too to know it’s not true, but for anyone who isn’t -

EDUCATION

ARTICLE 42

1 The State acknowledges that the primary and natural educator of the child is the Family and guarantees to respect the inalienable right and duty of parents to provide, according to their means, for the religious and moral, intellectual, physical and social education of their children.

2 Parents shall be free to provide this education in their homes or in private schools or in schools recognised or established by the State.

3 1° The State shall not oblige parents in violation of their conscience and lawful preference to send their children to schools established by the State, or to any particular type of school designated by the State.

2° The State shall, however, as guardian of the common good, require in view of actual conditions that the children receive a certain minimum education, moral, intellectual and social.

4 The State shall provide for free primary education and shall endeavour to supplement and give reasonable aid to private and corporate educational initiative, and, when the public good requires it, provide other educational facilities or institutions with due regard, however, for the rights of parents, especially in the matter of religious and moral formation.

Bold emphasis my own. What this also means is that while I take on board your opinion that I have failed as a parent (I can think of many more reasons why I have failed as a parent, but that’s enough to be going ahead with :D), it means that I’m more concerned about whether or not the State is of the opinion that I have failed as a parent, and then Articles 41 and 42A come into play, and no parent wants to go there by having their decisions for their children undermined by the people acting on behalf of the State. People acting on behalf of the State have a rather colourful history in that regard. Even in recent times it appears they can’t catch a break while preparing dossiers on families with children who are autistic, without someone blowing the whistle when they’re of the opinion that something ain’t kosher. In no small irony, those cases too concerned parents who wanted the State to fulfil its legal obligation to their children by providing for their education. Some people acting on behalf of the State obviously thought funds would be better spent on maintaining that the parents had failed in their obligations towards their children.

That’s the reason why I have no cause to be concerned for your opinions as a private citizen of how I raise my own child, but I would have cause to be concerned if people acting on behalf of the State were of the opinion that I had failed as a parent, particularly if I were of the opinion that the State is overstepping their authority in relation to their obligation to respect the inalienable right and duty of parents to provide, according to their means, for the religious and moral, intellectual, physical and social education of their children.

As an aside, I have no idea where anyone was given the impression that they have the authority to determine on behalf of the State how their individual contributions in the form of taxation are to be spent. They certainly have the right to lobby for more funding for their particular cause or causes, and they have the right to lobby for organisations they do not wish to receive funding to be defunded, but that requires a far more compelling argument than any that have been presented here, in order for the State to deprive people of their human rights. It’s actually a good thing for those people that they are protected in Irish law from what in principle is known as the tyranny of the majority, or rather what would be regarded as popular opinion.

I usually whistle when ive done something wrong.
    And i dont even notice im doing it.
    Total giveaway to those who know me.

My dad does it when he's trying to be all cool and "I'm not bothered" but again it's a giveaway because it's just trying too hard! :D

I once worked in a place where this numpty customer would come in on a regular basis and whistle his way through entire musicals. The main reason I am no longer in a public facing role!

My dad does it when he's trying to be all cool and "I'm not bothered" but again it's a giveaway because it's just trying too hard! :D

I once worked in a place where this numpty customer would come in on a regular basis and whistle his way through entire musicals. The main reason I am no longer in a public facing role!

I ... am your father. Luke.

I ... am your father. Luke.

Completely unrelated to the thread but am reminded of a gift shop I visited in Paris a few years ago with all those tacky keyrings and the like, and they had single condoms for sale with "funny" slogans etc on them. One of them said "I...will not be your father" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Im not a great fan of drug companies or big pharma. I'm not anti vax. Im an engineer so respect the science. Ever since i did the research on sunscreen and found the figures did not add up I lost faith in drug companies. It is now coming back to roost. Years of telling people they needed sunscreen to avoid cancer. Now they dont have enough sun and are lacking in Vit D. Now they need a jab every year to avoid covid. Which is making them billions. Except for the corporation that offered it for free which is now killing people.

I don't get why people who get out clapping for healthcare workers aren't also clapping for cashiers, some of whom work for minimum wage, and have to sit all day being exposed to hundreds of people in and out of the shops so that we can all keep our fridges stocked. I also don't get why these people aren't considered "frontline" when it comes to vaccine priority. They're literally exposed to everyone, and aren't allowed to call out non-compliance which might endanger them, for fear of being verbally abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭4Ad

I think the singer St Vincent is ****e..
    Pretty though...

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The Jehovah Witnesses went into lockdown before the State did.

Magazines are no longer handed out as used to be the case but you can ask for a magazine no bother. Fun fact, the most distributed magazines in the world are Watchtower and Awake.

It's gone 21st century now and while magazines exist you will be shown a video on a tablet these days now more than a magazine

Nothing is hidden here. They thought your brother was interested but there is no secret list and due to GDPR zero lists and details are even recorded anymore since 2019. It's different in the USA which has less strict rules on data protection. If you request you go on a "do not call" list that gets recorded.

But yeah, not a door has been knocked since Cheltenham 2020

This was years back. It might be worth something so :D

Also, I wasn't suggesting there was a secret list! :) But I'm delighted to hear they are GDPR compliant :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

snowcat wrote: »
    Im not a great fan of drug companies or big pharma. I'm not anti vax. Im an engineer so respect the science. Ever since i did the research on sunscreen and found the figures did not add up I lost faith in drug companies. It is now coming back to roost. Years of telling people they needed sunscreen to avoid cancer. Now they dont have enough sun and are lacking in Vit D. Now they need a jab every year to avoid covid. Which is making them billions. Except for the corporation that offered it for free which is now killing people.
    Who's killing who now?

Wouldn't a yearly Covid jab be similar to a yearly flu jab?

SPF does prevent sunburn in fairness. I've super fair skin and it never fails me. I think the lack of vitamin D is due to people completely overdoing it where there is a huge amount of sun, like Australia. Think it's just about getting the balance right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

This was years back. It might be worth something so :D

Also, I wasn't suggesting there was a secret list! :) But I'm delighted to hear they are GDPR compliant :p

I had them at my door last summer trying the compassion route (“lots of people are suffering from depression during these hard times...”). I had a lot of fun with them and strangely i haven’t been bothered since.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

snowcat wrote:

You do realise elements of large pharma are trying to save people, and other elements are simply trying to maximise profits, that don't mean that everything they do is bad, most employees mean well for humanity, it just becomes the nature of the beast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You do realise elements of large pharma are trying to save people, and other elements are simply trying to maximise profits, that don't mean that everything they do is bad, most employees mean well for humanity, it just becomes the nature of the beast

In fairness all of pharma is trying to save people - however these very expensive to make drugs are funded by shareholders who only take the risk because they are promised big rewards.

The whole Big Pharma thing never even really happened in Europe - thats more the opiod/sales rep mess in the US.

It's definitely not a cuddly little industry but then companies with 100k people working in them are not the norm.

Celchick wrote: »
    Who's killing who now?

Wouldn't a yearly Covid jab be similar to a yearly flu jab?

SPF does prevent sunburn in fairness. I've super fair skin and it never fails me. I think the lack of vitamin D is due to people completely overdoing it where there is a huge amount of sun, like Australia. Think it's just about getting the balance right.

My limited research on sun cream is this.
    If I dont wear it i'll be peeling the skin off myself for the next week in desperate pain.
    If I do wear it my skin is fine, though i do hate the feel of it.
    So I wear it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In fairness all of pharma is trying to save people - however these very expensive to make drugs are funded by shareholders who only take the risk because they are promised big rewards.

The whole Big Pharma thing never even really happened in Europe - thats more the opiod/sales rep mess in the US.

It's definitely not a cuddly little industry but then companies with 100k people working in them are not the norm.

they kinna are, and kinna are not, the world of money creation is beyond murky to say the least, some shareholders arent really taking much risk at all

• Advertisement

If I dont wear it i'll be peeling the skin off myself for the next week in desperate pain.

Could you not wear a hat and sleeves? A lot of very common sunscreens contain some fairly horrible chemicals. Oxybenzone for starters. Which has been linked with CAUSING skin cancer and it also kills Coral Reefs and is generally terrible stuff to introduce into sea water. So please all you people who love sunscreen please dont go swimming when covered in the stuff.

'Oxybenzone is a cornucopia of nasty side effects. It’s considered a hazardous eye irritant and, as an allergen, is also known to cause skin allergies. As a hormone disruptor to coral, it also causes hormone disruption in humans, affecting estrogen production particularly in women and testosterone production in men. At least one study showed oxybenzone exposure lead to lower testosterone levels in adolescent boys, as well as thyroid problems in both men and women.

If that’s not scary enough, there’s mounting concern that oxybenzone causes skin cancer, according to research groups such as the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and other leading toxicology experts. A team of researchers at the State University of New York and the National Institutes of Health found a link between a concentration of benzophenones (the categorization to which oxybenzone belongs) and poorer reproductive success in men. The same study found that oxybenzone exposure increased women’s risk of other reproductive diseases, like endometriosis.

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/#:~:text=The%20most%20common%20sunscreens%20contain,oxide%20and%2For%20titanium%20dioxide.

Same. Absolutely no way I'm going out in the sun without it. I'll pass on feeling bad about the hormonal/ coral effect for the two weeks a year I wear it, while there are far worse things happening to our planet!

Same. Absolutely no way I'm going out in the sun without it. I'll pass on feeling bad about the hormonal/ coral effect for the two weeks a year I wear it, while there are far worse things happening to our planet!

Thats grand then. Just throw your rubbish on the street. Shure there is way worse things happening. Anything i do wont make a difference.

Thats grand then. Just throw your rubbish on the street. Shure there is way worse things happening. Anything i do wont make a difference.

Won't someone please think of the children.

Next chance I get I'm going to squeeze a tube of sun screen into the ocean.

You are indeed a sick scrote.

I'm gonna squeeze it on my OH, if the effect on male fertility is as promised! :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9456347/Covid-19-UK-AstraZeneca-patients-swamp-E-departments-suffering-mild-effects.html#newcomment

So now the A+E departments are swamped with vaccine side effects. How are we going to flatten that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

The Indian and Pakistani communities, among other non-Europeans in the UK, usurped Europeans rightful allocation of space within the European continent through voting pro-Brexit.

EU countries offered more in return to the average UK citizen than India could ever hope to, including the ability to live in successful world capitals like Berlin or Paris or Rome.

The German or the Italian or the Polish would go live in London, and the British person would in return go live in Berlin or Rome or Warsaw.

The Indian or Pakistani couldn't offer this level of reciprocation. Nobody wanted to go live in Delhi. UK does minimal trade with these distant places.

As eager Europeans began to out compete and cut into the markets which Indian/Pakistani communities had become comfortable in, those same ethnic communities began to look for a way to stop competition.

This was achieved through voting for Brexit, thus people from the other side of the planet, from countries which offer nothing unique to the UK, managed to deny Europeans the freedoms and benefits of part of Europe, their own continent.

They managed to wedge themselves into European politics and help steer Europe down a bad route. Getting a crap deal for both Britons and mainland Europeans.
    All because they feared competition from fellow immigrants of a different background.
    Now they're sitting pretty having damaged the EU and fenced off a bit of Europe, and are trying to maintain their place through Priti Patel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9456347/Covid-19-UK-AstraZeneca-patients-swamp-E-departments-suffering-mild-effects.html#newcomment

So now the A+E departments are swamped with vaccine side effects. How are we going to flatten that one.

You take the daily mail website.

Then you burn it with fire until it ceases to exist.

Advertisement