Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Sports and all that goes with it is generally a “male” thing.

The majority of women I know have 0% interest in sport and the minority, like myself, that do like it have their fix of elite sport more than met by the top level men’s game.

They’ve touted the attendances at ladies GAA All Ireland Finals the last few years. The brunt of these numbers were GAA clubs nationwide getting cheap tickets, dragging armies of bored underage camogie players to Croke Park for a below average offering.

Male coaches of women’s teams can be frustrated people , they instil the same passion and drive they do for the men, but if the match falls on the same day as a wedding or other event most of the players won’t turn up :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

There are so many endless threads on Boards about US current affairs, endless stories on RTE also. It has got to the point where the average Irish person is probably more invested in US current affairs and politics than the average American.

Ha, good luck putting that genie back in the bottle. US style politics is here to stay in Ireland thanks not only to social media faux-outrage but also mainstream outlets fanning the flames. The idiot mob chastising ordinary people going for a walk outside during the pandemic one day, then gathering in large number to protest in support of BLM the next (complete with an instagram photoshoot to document the occasion for virtue signaling points). George Nchencho was our George Floyd. Let's cheer on the Africans burning down our cities because if you don't you'll be called a racist and we all know there is nothing worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I happened across the Semi Finals about 2 years ago...about 300 people at it.

This obsession with getting women's sport visible in an attempt to drive more women into sport is a joke....you'd swear girls and women were incapable of knowing how to spend their time or money.

It does however give a cohort of activists an opportunity to shout misogynist at anyone who dares to point out the blatant obvious!!!

Im really getting sick of seeing results on country or county teams on wevsites only to click in and find its womens soccer or gaa.
    Nobody cares if it womens sport. Thats why they wont put the gender of the sport in the description. Because nobody would click into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Sports and all that goes with it is generally a “male” thing.

The majority of women I know have 0% interest in sport and the minority, like myself, that do like it have their fix of elite sport more than met by the top level men’s game.

They’ve touted the attendances at ladies GAA All Ireland Finals the last few years. The brunt of these numbers were GAA clubs nationwide getting cheap tickets, dragging armies of bored underage camogie players to Croke Park for a below average offering.

Absolute spot on.

I find this incessant pushing of women’s sport to be odd

Sport is all about power, control, aggression, winning, being the best, dominating, action....

It’s pretty much a male thing. All to do with testosterone. And males have far more of it..

Males are built for sport and combat. It’s our DNA..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

The "Good Friday Agreement" or "Belfast Agreement" far from being a triumph is a disaster of a document designed to keep bigots in power.

The whole premise behind it is to label everyone as one side or the other and hence maintain the split of the population into 2 separate sides.

Whilst it was necessary in order to achieve a ceasefire and get enough bigoted politicians behind it, unless it is rewritten to avoid the labelling of every politician/ person/ area/ sport/ religious belief as either 1 side or the other the North will remain a ticking time-bomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Choochtown wrote: »
    The "Good Friday Agreement" or "Belfast Agreement" far from being a triumph is a disaster of a document designed to keep bigots in power.

The whole premise behind it is to label everyone as one side or the other and hence maintain the split of the population into 2 separate sides.

Whilst it was necessary in order to achieve a ceasefire and get enough bigoted politicians behind it, unless it is rewritten to avoid the labelling of every politician/ person/ area/ sport/ religious belief as either 1 side or the other the North will remain a ticking time-bomb.

Part 2 : The only reason the GFA was signed by adams and mcguinness was to keep them out of prison.

walshb wrote: »
    Absolute spot on.

I find this incessant pushing of women’s sport to be odd

Sport is all about power, control, aggression, winning, being the best, dominating, action....

It’s pretty much a male thing. All to do with testosterone. And males have far more of it..

Males are built for sport and combat. It’s our DNA..

That’s actually b0llox

That’s actually b0llox

No it’s not..

Males gravitate to sport far more than women..

Simple, really. It’s a male dominated trait/activity..

Just watch children play...boys are buzzing and aggressive and all that. It’s their being male. Girls tend to be a little more reserved and gentle and calm. Sport is all about action , competing and winning.

A lot of sports are quite physical and in your face combative...males are far more naturally drawn to this..and built for it. Speed, power, aggression, strength...

No it’s not..

Males gravitate to sport far more than women..

Simple, really. It’s a male dominated trait/activity..

Just watch children play...boys are buzzing and aggressive and all that. It’s their being male. Girls tend to be a little more reserved and gentle and calm. Sport is all about action , competing and winning.

A lot of sports are quite physical and in your face combative...males are far more naturally drawn to this..and built for it. Speed, power, aggression, strength...

Still absolute b0 lox

Still absolute b0 lox

Ok,

You’ve convinced me!!!

• Advertisement

Ok,

You’ve convinced me!!!

I did as you said and watched children play and the gardai moved me on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Unpopular opinion...I think that the terminology around professional sport needs to change. People keep referring to these enteties as clubs. They're not. These are for-profit companies. The lads kicking the ball are employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Unpopular opinion...I think that the terminology around professional sport needs to change. People keep referring to these enteties as clubs. They're not. These are for-profit companies. The lads kicking the ball are employees.
    I think that would be quite popular.

Bad Boyo wrote: »
    Sport is a substitution for war, hence pretty much every man has an interest in it (well maybe not low T leftist males). I've rarely met women whose interest in sport went beyond 'omg the players are so hawt!! :)))'.

They only people I've heard express any interest in the women's world cup were men.

There are some but they are the exception. I knew a girl who was a handy striker on our 5 a side, used to run rings round most of us - but she had played professionally.

Let's be honest, no amount of TV advertising would see thousands of men sign up for ballet or flower arranging courses either. You'd get a few of course, but they are already doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Sport is a substitution for war, hence pretty much every man has an interest in it (well maybe not low T leftist males).

Christ almighty, the eyes have gone full circle rolling back in my head.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted - we have a Soccer Forum for discussion of soccer topics

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

People who have usernames incorporating 'lad' or 'boy' in them, have an IQ demonstrably 30% less than the societal average and likely have well calloused or bleeding knuckles, given how much time they seem to spend dragging them on the ground.

(Just as well I didn't use the English spelling of my own ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah clubs in Europe; Teams and “Brands” in the US.

To be fair to Europe it used to be about the sport, not the enterprise of profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Unpopular opinion perhaps but, while I'm not knowledgeable regarding differences between 2nd & 3rd Degree Murder conviction for Derek Chauvin re George Floyd I do think manslaughter, as it would be understood here in Ireland was maximum he was deserving of; in Ireland that's anything from suspended to undetermined custodial (but with the inevitable suspended portion and dumbass automatic remission for everything bar murder) up to life; if ever a life sentence is imposed for manslaughter here (anyone know any cases?) then it'd be appealed & the CoA would inevitably reduce it anyway.

Unpopular opinion also; neither he not George Nkencho deserved to die; in Nkencho case he could've been disarmed; we've seen numerous cases including since where a person with a weapon has been disarmed without being injured or shot dead here.......but....but....but.....I don't particularly see a co-relation between the two yet PBP/Solidarity etc. seem to want there to be; Floyd if I'm right simply passed a counterfeit note; the heavy handedness and/or racial profiling ultimately led to his situation.

Nkencho meanwhile, mental health concerns or not (still waiting to see those notes; if I was the family I'd be putting those out in public domain surely?), went to a shop and/or Post Office, punched/assaulted a shop assistant & was waving a weapon around & lunging at Gda. & refused to put the weapon down; that's a helluva lot more than Floyd done.

The Hard Left need to rein their necks in on this one; he's not their poster child; this isn't the same as say, Dara O'Flaherty, the lady who was walking around/running down the street naked when she was arrested & images/videos shared on WhatsApp etc. by some of those involved in her arrest.

I don't think Nkencho should've been shot dead either; shot & injured/disabled if possible but I will also await the GSOC Report & inevitable, tax-payer wasting Publin Inquiry; I hope these processes bring same outcome.

In same way you can choose PIAB or take your chances in court it should surely be one or the other; not "sure we'll wait & see what GSOC says first; then, when we're not happy we'll take it further as we were going to all along anyway"; be offered a choice but not both; stop playing the system.

Public Inquiries, like Tribunals are black holes for taxpayers money; they drag on & inevitably are beset by regular input from external court hearings relating to who's compelled to give evidence etc.; thus they'll drag on & on. Imagine a PI started on this on 1st June; do you think it'd be finished by 1st of January......2023 maybe but not 2022!!

GSOC which has been effectively handling this since 30th of December should be wrapped up by now; maximum by June Bank Holiday weekend; it's a fairly open & shut situation surely? How many witnesses can be required?

Similarly with Asylum Seeker process; appeal after appeal on the taxpayers dime despite 1st, 2nd, 3rd chances all being negative; how many times do you have to be told we don't believe you before we inevitably issue a deportation order which is challenged & expires or is ignored & you go OTR?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

Sport is a substitution for war, hence pretty much every man has an interest in it (well maybe not low T leftist males).

Rubbish, nothing to do with war.
    Humans, like monkeys, live in social groups based on hierarchies. We strive for status.
    Best male gets best female, rules the pack, etc.
    Nobody wants to be the lower caste, low ranking in a pack, bullied or shunned.
    So on every level we compete, we compare ourselves to others unconsciously, measuring others up to see if we're higher, lower or peers. Typically on strength, intelligence and/or looks.

Sport is an expression of that.
    It's physical for men.
    Women compete with each other in physical attraction.

Not sure about low T males there. I'd argue that men who follow sport like popular football teams are unconsciously claiming shared victories of their teams wins. As if they were on the pitch themselves. They associate themselves with a better group of males probably because they've no victories or success in their own lives.

• Advertisement

There is no such thing as a cyclist or a motorist who does not make a mistake on the roads.
    However point this out to either who has made a mistake and immediately they did not make it and its the other guys fault.
    Particularly apparent when you are a passenger in a car and someone beeps or gives a rude signal to the driver.
    "Did you see what he did. That was HIS fault. The pr!ck".
    So you point out that no, it was actually your drivers fault.
    The reaction you get is always. "No it wasnt. Clearly it was the other guys fault."

Or ever accuse a cyclist of doing something wrong and the rest of the cyclists are backing them up right away to say how you are wrong and its not the cyclists fault.
    And the same with motorists.

I even do it myself.
    When im cycling I hate all cars.
    When im driving I hate all cyclists.
    But i know its a subconscious thing underneath it all and can get over it. Most cant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I can't help but think the jury in the Chauvin case almost had to find him guilty of all three charges, because there would have been further escalating of riots if they didn't.

That's not me defending Chauvin, as I think the incident was one criminal scumbag being unlucky to encounter another racist scumbag, but I do think justice was somewhat comprised.

Then again I am a white Irish man ad far removed from Minneapolis as it gets and so I am not affected by it in any way, shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I can't help but think the jury in the Chauvin case almost had to find him guilty of all three charges, because there would have been further escalating of riots if they didn't.

That's not me defending Chauvin, as I think the incident was one criminal scumbag being unlucky to encounter another racist scumbag, but I do think justice was somewhat comprised.

Then again I am a white Irish man ad far removed from Minneapolis as it gets and so I am not affected by it in any way, shape or form.

Yeah no reflection on the result and not debating it.

Result aside one has to think how any jury no matter how shielded could really be fully independent in thinking given the attention this case has received.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Black americans may have disproportionally more interactions with the police than white americans for the same reason that male americans have disproportionally more interactions with the police than female americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

The heel on a loaf of bread is underrated. When toasted it can be the best part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

...and on that note I think you should keep quiet and move on. I am not even going to bother debunking the rubbish you spewed in that post.

Yeah no reflection on the result and not debating it.

Result aside one has to think how any jury no matter how shielded could really be fully independent in thinking given the attention this case has received.

Do the Jury get named there afterwards?
    I remember seeing some cases before where they did and also how they voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

...and on that note I think you should keep quiet and move on. I am not even going to bother debunking the rubbish you spewed in that post.

I apologise.

I mustn't be woke enough to understand the justice system or racial inequality in the US. Didn't realise I needed to be suitably qualified, or indeed directly impacted by it, to form an opinion.

I apologise.

I mustn't be woke enough to understand the justice system or racial inequality in the US. Didn't realise I needed to be suitably qualified, or indeed directly impacted by it, to form an opinion.

Unless you're a PoC, a woman or LGBTQQIP2SAA you need to shut up and listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

99% of those celebrating the "justice" for George Floyd , in Ireland, would back the Gardaí 100% if it was Jayo from Darndale with similar convictions who died in a similar fashion .

They are the worst type of racist

Advertisement