Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

paw patrol wrote: »
    99% of those celebrating the "justice" for George Floyd , in Ireland, would back the Gardaí 100% if it was Jayo from Darndale with similar convictions who died in a similar fashion .

They are the worst type of racist

99% would back a gardai who choked someone who posed no threat to them? bull****. ignorant bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

paw patrol wrote: »
    99% of those celebrating the "justice" for George Floyd , in Ireland, would back the Gardaí 100% if it was Jayo from Darndale with similar convictions who died in a similar fashion .

They are the worst type of racist

So much to unpick here and so wrong that....

Do you know what...I won't even bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there should be no allowance before inheritance tax is due (currently €355k for a son or daughter IIRC). within reason of course; i.e. if the son or daughter is already living in the house which is part of the estate, etc. any situation where they'd actually be left out of pocket.

there should be no allowance before inheritance tax is due (currently €355k for a son or daughter IIRC). within reason of course; i.e. if the son or daughter is already living in the house which is part of the estate, etc. any situation where they'd actually be left out of pocket.

I'd say that's generally popular. The tax makes little to no sense as tax has already been paid on that money by the deceased.

I'd say that's generally popular. The tax makes little to no sense as tax has already been paid on that money by the deceased.

He’s saying the opposite. No allowance.

The whole tax has been paid is utter nonsense. Tax has been paid on everything.

My unpopular opinion. 100% inheritance tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

fvp4 wrote: »

Why do you think that’s merited or a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He’s saying the opposite. No allowance.

The whole tax has been paid is utter nonsense. Tax has been paid on everything.

Well that's one very good way to get every well paid person in the country to emigrate.

You better hope no one you care about ever gets seriously ill as there won't be anyone left in the hospitals or health system to treat them.

The term 'brain drain' would take on a whole new meaning.

100% inheritance tax.. So regular people have absolutely zero hold on wealth while the rich develop ways around it so they're the only ones who keep their wealth.

Or are there people who actually think a businessman worth 50m wouldn't have their children owning the business instead of the state taking it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

In my opinion, every single opinion ever has been an unpopular one, including this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can't help but think the jury in the Chauvin case almost had to find him guilty of all three charges, because there would have been further escalating of riots if they didn't.

That's not me defending Chauvin, as I think the incident was one criminal scumbag being unlucky to encounter another racist scumbag, but I do think justice was somewhat comprised.

Then again I am a white Irish man ad far removed from Minneapolis as it gets and so I am not affected by it in any way, shape or form.

Agreed. Never been a trial in history with such strong global views and opinions from so many. And many very influential people wanting a guilty verdict. He hadn’t a hope in hell of getting off. Maybe years ago he would, when there was nowhere near the level of comms and scrutiny and platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gaspode wrote: »
    In my opinion, every single opinion ever has been an unpopular one, including this one.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

100% inheritance tax.. So regular people have absolutely zero hold on wealth while the rich develop ways around it so they're the only ones who keep their wealth.

Or are there people who actually think a businessman worth 50m wouldn't have their children owning the business instead of the state taking it?

Usually the intent behind statements like that is actually "Money should be taken off people who have it and given to me". Ask the same people to pay tax at the rate that the people who earned the money they want taxed again, and you'll hear a whole different set of whines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

99% would back a gardai who choked someone who posed no threat to them? bull****. ignorant bull****.
    So much to unpick here and so wrong that....

Do you know what...I won't even bother.

The virtuous doth protest too much, methinks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JimmyVik wrote:
    Usually the intent behind statements like that is actually "Money should be taken off people who have it and given to me". Ask the same people to pay tax at the rate that the people who earned the money they want taxed again, and you'll hear a whole different set of whines.

There is such a thing as 'unearned income', such as assets! If we keep playing this game, we ll annihilate ourselves

Ok. 100% over 300k per year, or something. You are defending something that keeps the rich, rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ok. 100% over 300k per year, or something. You are defending something that keeps the rich, rich.

If someone works hard all their life, they should be allowed to leave whatever wealth they have assumed to their children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Quazzie wrote: »
    If someone works hard all their life, they should be allowed to leave whatever wealth they have assumed to their children.

If someone works hard all their life, they should be allowed to leave whatever wealth they have assumed to anyone that they want, without them getting absolutely fleeced with unfair Irish inheritance taxes.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Kivaro wrote: »
    If someone works hard all their life, they should be allowed to leave whatever wealth they have assumed to anyone that they want, without them getting absolutely fleeced with unfair Irish inheritance taxes.

i find any inheritance tax abhorrent .
    In fact it is possibly the most immoral of all taxes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

forget the 'tax has already been paid on it' argument. not by the person receiving the money.
    if someone is on say €30k a year and is paying tax on that, but isn't fortunate to come from a rich family, they would have genuine cause to believe it's unfair on someone else getting a third of a million in *unearned* income, and not having to pay a penny tax on it.

the PAYE worker is working, and contributing to the economy, and having to pay tax.
    the inheritee is neither working for that income nor contributing to the economy in the process of earning it, but does not have to pay tax.

forget the 'tax has already been paid on it' argument. not by the person receiving the money.
    if someone is on say €30k a year and is paying tax on that, but isn't fortunate to come from a rich family, they would have genuine cause to believe it's unfair on someone else getting a third of a million in *unearned* income, and not having to pay a penny tax on it.

the PAYE worker is working, and contributing to the economy, and having to pay tax.
    the inheritee is neither working for that income nor contributing to the economy in the process of earning it, but does not have to pay tax.

the dead person passed on their wealth as they see fit and it should be conducted away from the prying eyes of the state.

It sounds pathetic that the good fortune of others would upset somebody that much.
    Should have had richer parents.

• Advertisement

but somebody else has already paid tax on it. why should the government get a second bite of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

but somebody else has already paid tax on it. why should the government get a second bite of it?

This is 100% correct .

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There is such a thing as 'unearned income', such as assets! If we keep playing this game, we ll annihilate ourselves

What will annihilate us is the Irish way of wanting everything that someone else gets taken off them, just because you dont have it.

I am a PAYE worker.
    The only think I will inherit is a funeral bill.
    I dont begrudge one bit someone inheriting assets that their parents have worked hard to provide for them.

every penny in circulation has been taxed at some point. the fact that someone else already paid tax on it is irrelevant.

why should i pay ~50% tax on earned income over approx €35k, but not have to pay tax on unearned income until it hits *ten times* that?

i'm not saying the state should seize the assets of the deceased. i'm saying the tax (which is less than the income tax rate anyway) should be paid on the full estate, allowing for certain circumstances.

every penny in circulation has been taxed at some point. the fact that someone else already paid tax on it is irrelevant.

why should i pay ~50% tax on earned income over approx €35k, but not have to pay tax on unearned income until it hits *ten times* that?

tbh that sounds like begrudgery to me. somebody else is lucky enough to have rich parents and you don't.

100% agree.

Taxation is theft.

tbh that sounds like begrudgery to me. somebody else is lucky enough to have rich parents and you don't.
    that's a laughable assumption, that i have this opinion because of begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Unpopular opinion :
    We need a bew mental health condition definition for people who :

Send loads of texts with one or two words straight after each ither
    Call repeatedly when you dont answer
    Send text messages and then call you immediately to ask the same thing
    Send repeated texts when they see you are online or have read a message.

These people should be banned from phones until they can have a word with themselves about being a normal human being.

• Advertisement

or like my mother, rings; i can't answer, and she leaves me a voicemail to tell me she rang.

Advertisement